Apple's iPhone 5c 'failure flop' outsold Blackberry, Windows Phone and every Android flagship in Q4

Comments

• Reply 161 of 299
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Um, no. The original iPhone was failing before the price drop.

And Apple have already dropped prices on the 5C in select countries. A good move.
    In which countries has Apple dropped the price of the 16 or 32 GB 5C?
  • Reply 162 of 299
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Were you the one who posted that comment?

Clearly.

That doesn't even make sense.

Sure it does. If the iPhone 5C was priced to high or too close to the 5S that the buyer was savvy enough to know the 5S was the better deal for a scant $100 more for a given capacity then Apple gets that sale. If they felt the 5C was too expensive they would have also thought the iPhone 5 would have been too expensive had there been to 5C since the price point, capacity and nearly every component would have the same performance. That means the only way Apple lost any sale was by not selling to the lower tiers or getting as many switchers as they may have predicted, but in no way has it been shown the 5S has suffered because the 5C exists or that the iPhone 5 remaining for a second year would have sold better than the 5C. This means there is a 1:1 ratio of perspective 5C buyers buying the 5S if they thought the 5S was a better value and the iPhone 5C is not a failure compared to the iPhone 5 had it been left on the market like in the previous patterns.
  • Reply 163 of 299
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

WTF?

It’s a pretty good analogy. Not perfect, of course, but I don’t know of any other time in history that anyone has whined like an infant about someone failing when they’ve outperformed literally every single other thing on the market.

• Reply 164 of 299
    rogifan wrote: »
    In which countries has Apple dropped the price of the 16 or 32 GB 5C?
    Right that would be nowhere.

Only thing Apple did was release an 8 GB model which is seen as the "writing on the wall" when they've done that for the mid-tier line since the 4.
  • Reply 165 of 299
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

It's a great phone but I see far more of the 4Ss around. The problem is, or rather was, the price. Had it replaced the 4S then it would have been a huge hit.

The 5c is just last year's top model sold as the mid-tier option, just what they've done every year, but reskinned this time.  When the 6 is introduced, the 5c will become the low end option, replacing the 4s at a similar price.  It takes two years: top to mid to low.

• Reply 166 of 299
    normm wrote: »
    The 5c is just last year's top model sold as the mid-tier option, just what they've done every year, but reskinned this time.  When the 6 is introduced, the 5c will become the low end option, replacing the 4s at a similar price.  It takes two years: top to mid to low.

Maybe, maybe not. Remember Apple actively killed the iPhone 5 branding so it would not be unprecedented for Apple to also kill the iPhone 5C branding after only a year on the market.
  • Reply 167 of 299
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Maybe, maybe not. Remember Apple actively killed the iPhone 5 branding so it would not be unprecedented for Apple to also kill the iPhone 5C branding after only a year on the market.

But Apple had a solid reason for killing off the iPhone 5 and replacing it with the iPhone 5c: the cost and difficulty of manufacturing the iPhone 5 casing. Apple has no reason to kill off the iPhone 5c, when it is uniquely situated to be a perfect bottom-tier (by Apple standards) device once the next iPhones come out.

(And no, the idiocy of tech commentators is not a valid reason to kill a device.)

• Reply 168 of 299
    docwallaby wrote: »
    But Apple had a solid reason for killing off the iPhone 5 and replacing it with the iPhone 5c: the cost and difficulty of manufacturing the iPhone 5 casing. Apple has no reason to kill off the iPhone 5c, when it is uniquely situated to be a perfect bottom-tier (by Apple standards) device once the next iPhones come out.

(And no, the idiocy of tech commentators is not a valid reason to kill a device.)

I certainly can't think of a reason for Apple to discontinue the 5C branding but I also didn't expect them to end the iPhone 5 branding so I don't think we should consider our lack of reasons as a proof they won't change it up again.
  • Reply 169 of 299
    Quote:

I certainly can't think of a reason for Apple to discontinue the 5C branding but I also didn't expect them to end the iPhone 5 branding so I don't think we should consider our lack of reasons as a proof they won't change it up again.

You may not have expected it, but ... I'm pretty sure there were at least a few reports calling for the iPhone 5c to replace the iPhone 5 completely. Maybe not as many as the reports calling for it to compete with the mid-and-low-tier Android phones, but they were out there if I recall correctly.

Besides, the iPhone 5c replacing the iPhone 5 made complete sense. Now, I'm sure Apple could decide to discontinue the iPhone 5c, but if they did, it would be a move that makes complete sense if/when it's revealed. But I can't think of a good reason to kill off a device like the iPhone 5c.

• Reply 170 of 299
    docwallaby wrote: »
    You may not have expected it, but ... I'm pretty sure there were at least a few reports calling for the iPhone 5c to replace the iPhone 5 completely. Maybe not as many as the reports calling for it to compete with the mid-and-low-tier Android phones, but they were out there if I recall correctly.

Besides, the iPhone 5c replacing the iPhone 5 made complete sense. Now, I'm sure Apple could decide to discontinue the iPhone 5c, but if they did, it would be a move that makes complete sense if/when it's revealed. But I can't think of a good reason to kill off a device like the iPhone 5c.

There was talk but what seemed to me the most sense to me was getting rid of the 3.5" device with a plastic, lower-tier model so the 5 and 5S would have the two upper tiers. I seem to recall Gruber was shocked by that when his "little birdies" told him a week or two before the announcement.
  • Reply 171 of 299
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Replace the iPhone 5C (6th iPhone) with the iPhone 7 (7th iPhone), which is just the iPhone 5S (7th iPhone) rebranded but exactly the same physically, while the iPhone 2 (8th iPhone) takes the top spot and the iPhone 8S (6th iPhone, iPhone 5C) free on contract.

• Reply 172 of 299
    Quote:

Clearly.

Sure it does. If the iPhone 5C was priced to high or too close to the 5S that the buyer was savvy enough to know the 5S was the better deal for a scant $100 more for a given capacity then Apple gets that sale. If they felt the 5C was too expensive they would have also thought the iPhone 5 would have been too expensive had there been to 5C since the price point, capacity and nearly every component would have the same performance. That means the only way Apple lost any sale was by not selling to the lower tiers or getting as many switchers as they may have predicted, but in no way has it been shown the 5S has suffered because the 5C exists or that the iPhone 5 remaining for a second year would have sold better than the 5C. This means there is a 1:1 ratio of perspective 5C buyers buying the 5S if they thought the 5S was a better value and the iPhone 5C is not a failure compared to the iPhone 5 had it been left on the market like in the previous patterns.

You clearly didn't get it.

You left out the part about Apple's actual expectations as compared to what it was they got.

Nobody knows that except Apple.

• Reply 173 of 299
    Quote:

Clearly.

So you were the member who made the original commented that elicited my response.

Cool... now I know you have two aliases.

• Reply 174 of 299
    You clearly didn't get it.

You left out the part about Apple's actual expectations as compared to what it was they got.

Nobody knows that except Apple.

What Apple expects is irrelevant to whether the 5C is a market failure or not since Apple is not the market.

So you were the member who made the original commented that elicited my response.

Cool... now I know you have two aliases.

I'm the poster you quoted above your comment "Were you the one who posted that comment?"
  • Reply 175 of 299
    Quote:

What Apple expects is irrelevant to whether the 5C is a market failure or not since Apple is not the market.

I'm the poster you quoted above your comment "Were you the one who posted that comment?"

Irrelevant? You wish.

re: the comment

So... now you want to be a smart ass.

• Reply 176 of 299
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Notwithstanding AI's great efforts above, the fact is: the 5C is a FLOP, aka the IIvx/IIvi of the iPhone world.

Even Apple itself admitted that sales were not "in line" (euphemism for "sorry, we haven't sold that many") - besides, they were absolutely sure that it would sell well in emerging markets and lower strata of industrialized markets; but they did not realize that the 5S was just marginally more expensive, particularly when such phones are sold in instalments or with more expensive plans.

In other words, Cook completely misinterpreted demand trends just like what Apple did with the PowerBook when it didn't produce enough units of the specific notebook model really wanted by the public.

I have never seen anyone with a 5C - and I can assure you that the 5C will go down in history as one of Apple's major market failures ever; it will be quietly discontinued in the coming months (or, more appropriately, "superseded" by revamped non-5C models). 

You've never seen anyone with a 5c. Well I know folk who are buying them. Not saying it is a huge success but you all knowing guys give me gas. Just can't admit that a 'failure' out sold all your faves. Sad.
  • Reply 177 of 299
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gilly33 View Post

You've never seen anyone with a 5c. Well I know folk who are buying them. Not saying it is a huge success but you all knowing guys give me gas. Just can't admit that a 'failure' out sold all your faves. Sad.

F*ck me. How many posts do I have to read from people that use anecdotal evidence to refute anecdotal evidence.

I think that anyone who says things like this must be a liar.

• Reply 178 of 299
    gfdsagfdsa Posts: 22member
    Simpler answer - people are accustomed to price pyramid, where cheaper stuff is supposed to sell in higher quantities than more expensive stuff. 5C fails to follow this for various reasons, and the brain of the simple minded locks up. DED - love your articles, keep on writing!
  • Reply 179 of 299
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    These aren’t US numbers. They are global figures. Apple sold ~13 million iPhone 5c in the Q4 13, more not only Android flagships, but the entire platforms of smartphones behind Android (BB and WP).

Daniel, Apple doesn't split sales by product, can I ask how you claim these numbers?
  • Reply 180 of 299
    Yes, agreed. As successful as windows 8 right?