Review: Sharp's 32" 4K display is a high-performance workhorse made for Apple's Mac Pro

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    mstone wrote: »
    You are right. It was a bit over the top. I apologize to all who were offended.

My point although poorly communicated is that Apple is NOT A FUCKING RELIGION. just a pretty good corporation.

I disagree. Apple is not 'just' anything; Apple is special.
  • Reply 42 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Jump to 25:00 on the time for the major iPad prophesy

Steve talking about how they are designing the product they want to see but it's not yet possible is exactly how I see Apple now with the wearables market and why the iPhon and iPad came out when they did. When the technology finally exists they will finally launch, but not before.

I disagree. Apple is not 'just' anything; Apple is special.

He's not saying Apple isn't special, but they aren't magical or supernatural. They simply work in ways that are different from their competitors. It's a cultural difference which means it's a decision that Apple employees actively make because of the decisions their founder actively made. Of course, the same can be said for religions, too.
  • Reply 43 of 77
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Steve talking about how they are designing the product they want to see but it's not yet possible is exactly how I see Apple now with the wearables market and why the iPhon and iPad came out when they did. When the technology finally exists they will finally launch, but not before.
    He's not saying Apple isn't special, but they aren't magical or supernatural. They simply work in ways that are different from their competitors. It's a cultural difference which means it's a decision that Apple employees actively make because of the decisions their founder actively made. Of course, the same can be said for religions, too.

I think you're splitting hairs. He was essentially taking issue with my strong language and trying to take it down a peg or two. Anyway, Apple is a magical company; look at the iPad. ;)
  • Reply 44 of 77
    I think you're splitting hairs. He was essentially taking issue with my strong language and trying to take it down a peg or two. Anyway, Apple is a magical company; look at the iPad. ;)

I assume you mean mstone when you use 'he' but I don't understand what is being referred. I only see an apology and a link to Steve talking back in 1983 but I don't what the apology is for.

My comments were regarding what I quoted and calling Apple a religion is not something I agree with. They are people making products and the only thing separating them from their lessors are what they hold dear in their creations.
  • Reply 45 of 77
    I assume you mean mstone when you use 'he' but I don't understand what is being referred. I only see an apology and a link to Steve talking back in 1983 but I don't what the apology is for.

My comments were regarding what I quoted and calling Apple a religion is not something I agree with. They are people making products and the only thing separating them from their lessors are what they hold dear in their creations.

Yes, I was referring to mstone. He was replying to Pixeldoc, who referenced a post I made. No-one was calling Apple a religion, though mstone seemed to take issue with my language and made a sarcastic reply talking about Steve Jobs being crucified and referring to Mount Cupertino. He then made a pseudo non-apology 'if any offence was caused.'
  • Reply 46 of 77
    Yes, I was referring to mstone. He was replying to Pixeldoc, who referenced a post I made. No-one was calling Apple a religion, though mstone seemed to take issue with my language and made a sarcastic reply talking about Steve Jobs being crucified and referring to Mount Cupertino. He then made a pseudo non-apology 'if any offence was caused.'

It doesn't sound insincere to me and from experience I don't think he'd placate anyone one of us here with an insincere gesture. That being said, this conversation is much more intense than I realized so I'm going to slowly… walk…. backwards….. out…… of……. the…….. room. :p
  • Reply 47 of 77

I'm sure it's a good monitor...but I like my stuff to match. I wouldn't consider a Logitech keyboard or a monitor that wasn't made by Apple.

If I was going to get a MacPro (I'm not) I'd wait till the next iteration of an Apple monitor comes out.

Best

• Reply 48 of 77
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Jump to 25:00 on the time for the major iPad prophesy 

Yup... and as we all know, the iPad was actually already sitting on a shelf when SJ spotted it and decided to make the iPhone first.

Notes:
    1) he actually hinted at his "mobile communications device" earlier in the speach at 11:00.

2) he then went into his discussion of how people first use new technology using old habits, lamenting the video disk only being used for movies at the time of his speach.

3) leading into at about 13:00, his seeing the experiment by MIT in Aspen 4-5 years earlier, that was the obvious precurser to Google Street View.

4) which makes me wonder how much of Google's ballyhooed "innovation" actually came from SJ relaying these little bits of vision and experience in conversations with Larry and Sergei. I believe they even called him a sort of "mentor" once in an interview in their early years.

5) following that hypothesis, it surely was a punch in the gut to SJ when they decided to "lift" his ideas with Android, and no wonder his emotions got the best of him to go "thermonuclear" on their punk a**es. "Herr" Schmidt and his snooping around the Apple campus may have had little to do with the declaration of war, but it was rather his "protegés" that dissappointed him the most.

6) with his observation of "interest lists" at PARC, I think he was looking at social media communications, rather than what some people commented were the precurser to Craig's List.

Enough. The evidence is there that the guy was far... far!... more visionary than most people ever gave him credit for. Always trying to pull him down to a level that they could understand, rather than open their eyes and mind and at least try to see what and where he was going with his "far out left field" ideas and principles.

To this day, most "experts" still don't truly understand "why" Apple is as successful as they are, and are quick to point to Microsoft saving them "or else they would have died long ago". Not only is that an unintelligent deception (just to be diplomatic about it), but... doesn't look deeper and see that this guy more than likely would have found a way to bring these products and services to us all one way or another, with or without an Apple logo on them. He was that determined and it's surely why he was so hard to deal with for so many people. That level of intensity can get on anyone's nerves after a while, imagine it every day for 15-16 hours?!

I'm just glad that enough great minds did put up with him... and are continuing to bring us his visionary products after his passing. We haven't seen the last of Steve Job's "vision" by far. We'll just have to get by learning as a community to use these new devices without him, with his old devices that he gave us in hand to ease the way.

That's All Folks! ... :smokey:
  • Reply 49 of 77
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Abso-freakin'-lutely!
    That's why I "try" to curtail my awe of SJ and Apple... but rarily succeed.

I also believe that there are far worse organizations to be a cult member of... many of them well known with millions upon millions of members that like to burn and kill you if you "think different". Sometimes in these forums and others, you feel the zealotry that leads people to do this. Amazing isn't it? :wow:
  • Reply 50 of 77
    Not only is that an unintelligent deception (just to be diplomatic about it), but... doesn't look deeper and see that this guy more than likely would have found a way to bring these products and services to us all one way or another, with or without an Apple logo on them.

Even Steve's greatest corporate failure, NeXT, is responsible for the OS that that is in a half-billion devices in use today. I wish I had his drive to make something great.
  • Reply 51 of 77
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

5) following that hypothesis, it surely was a punch in the gut to SJ when they decided to "lift" his ideas with Android, and no wonder his emotions got the best of him to go "thermonuclear" on their punk a**es. "Herr" Schmidt and his snooping around the Apple campus may have had little to do with the declaration of war, but it was rather his "protegés" that dissappointed him the most.

According to emails made available recently Mr Jobs was already threatening to go thermonuclear on Google before they had even purchased Android in 2005. Seems he didn't like anyone hiring Apple employees too much and told Brin he willing to go to war over it if even one named engineer was hired by them.
  • Reply 52 of 77
    gatorguy wrote: »
    According to emails made available recently Mr Jobs was already threatening to go thermonuclear on Google before they had even purchased Android in 2005. Seems he didn't like anyone hiring Apple employees too much and told Brin he willing to go to war over it if even one named engineer was hired by them.

[image]

Which is shitty on Jobs part as it weakens the employee's position for looking for work with more pay.
  • Reply 53 of 77
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Jobs' letter doesn't indicate the team being sought by Google, but it would seem to have been important (to both companies). Apple had likely already assembled an iPhone team, and Google wouldn't have decided to buy Android overnight but its interests/intentions might already have been well-known to Apple executives. Most of what the iPhone team was developing could have been still secret, and if any member of that team had moved to Google, even with confidentiality clauses in place, leaking of important information can happen unintentionally.

• Reply 54 of 77
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Sorry to interrupt this Steve Jobs chat, but can someone explain what this sentence in the review means?

"An official number for panel life expectancy is not published, but because it is a professional product, Sharp tells us lifetime is one step below tolerance for a 24/7 duty cycle."

Sounds like hand-waving mumbo jumbo to me.  "One step below tolerance" doesn't sound like a good thing.  How big a step?

• Reply 55 of 77
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    cpsro wrote: »
    Jobs' letter doesn't indicate the team being sought by Google, but it would seem to have been important (to both companies). Apple had likely already assembled an iPhone team, and Google wouldn't have decided to buy Android overnight but its interests/intentions might already have been well-known to Apple executives. Most of what the iPhone team was developing could have been still secret, and if any member of that team had moved to Google, even with confidentiality clauses in place, leaking of important information can happen unintentionally.

According to timelines from Apple exec's they didn't start work in earnest on the iPhone until after Google's Android buy. I don't personally think the two were related events.

The engineer who Jobs was concerned with worked on Safari. At Mr. Jobs insistence (threats?) Google made it a point not to hire any more engineers coming over from Apple's Safari team, nor any other of their other employees for that matter unless it was OK'd with Apple.
  • Reply 56 of 77
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

This Sharp monitor achieves 60 Hz display through MST.  If OS 10.9.3 will enable running this monitor at 60Hz over DisplayPort on Retina Macbook Pro, does that mean the rMBP will also support daisy chaining DisplayPort 1.2 monitors or using MST hubs such as this one:

http://www.accellcables.com/K088B-003B.html

• Reply 57 of 77
    tyancytyancy Posts: 85member
    If the only thing that matters is the display panel, this sounds great but I have never read a review with so many negative (creaky, flexible cheap plastic bezel, buttons that are iffy, crappy audio, take apart to rotate, etc.

How does this reviewer give the unit a 4.5? Obviously this person is so wowed by a big screen that nothing else matters. From what I read, this unit rates a 2.5 to 3.

Best to have a real live pro review this kind of gear.
  • Reply 58 of 77
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Dude, there is no flaming sword of truth or a exorcism of demons. Get a grip man. Apple is a money making machine. You are delusional if you think that you belong to some elect group because you purchased an Apple product. Grow up.

• Reply 59 of 77
    Dude, there is no flaming sword of truth or a exorcism of demons. Get a grip man. Apple is a money making machine. You are delusional if you think that you belong to some elect group because you purchased an Apple product. Grow up.

Your post is like putting kerosene on a fire that was that almost out. Why… do…. I….. keep…… par-……. tic-…….. i-……… pat-………. ing?
  • Reply 60 of 77
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TYancy View Post

If the only thing that matters is the display panel, this sounds great but I have never read a review with so many negative (creaky, flexible cheap plastic bezel, buttons that are iffy, crappy audio, take apart to rotate, etc.

How does this reviewer give the unit a 4.5? Obviously this person is so wowed by a big screen that nothing else matters. From what I read, this unit rates a 2.5 to 3.

Best to have a real live pro review this kind of gear.

In all fairness, Apple's monitor does not rotate to portrait orientation either.  But at least the stand on the Sharp monitor appears to use standard VESA mounting, unlike Apple.  If we are going to ding third party monitors, then Apple monitors should also be dinged for the same reasons.  If Apple monitors get a free pass, then third party monitors should get the same free pass.