Review: Sharp's 32" 4K display is a high-performance workhorse made for Apple's Mac Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    First of many. At this point in time if you need it then you have no choice but better and
    Cheaper monitors will be out soon for those that can wait. $3600 is nothing special
  • Reply 22 of 77

I am convinced that an Apple monitor is on the horizon so I shall continue to use my new MacPro with the old trusty 30" Cinema Display.   This is in spite of the fact that even though it has the FirePro D700 card I can't get better (sharp) resolution than 1280 x 800.   Maybe something gets lost "in translation" in the Lightning to DVI adaptor.   When I'm using the excellent DisplayMenu app. (by Milch I'm Gemüsefach (© 2012 Thorsten Karrer) I can get resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600 but the display is not exactly nice and sharp.   This is using 10.9.3 by the way.    A "very nice touch" is the little sentence on the GB AppleStore website : HDMI input is not available in the European-market Sharp PN-K321.   Why not Apple ?!

If all else fails, there is still the ASUS PQ321QE - 32" 4K monitor.   That's about half the price with almost exactly the same specs, but has TWO of those lovely HDMI inputs, so I can also enjoy it with my video recorder.

• Reply 23 of 77
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    I agree. We use to use Barco CRT calibrated monitors with color densitometers . The cost of the monitor system was around $4 - $5,000 per seat excluding the cost of the high end graphics card then add in $12,000 each for the Macs (loaded) cost, external drives, back up systems, networking and servers and so on ... extra. Costs are dramatically lower these days for high end Mac systems. I dare not even mention the cost of a drum scanner and a high end RIP and 2400 LPI imagesetter.

??? What are those ??? :smokey:

And weren't you special(!) All I was talking about was "simple" 24-bit SupraMacs with calibrator... and I believe Radius cards.

Anyway, I'll up ya one: try a Quantel Paintbox hitched to a Hell(!!!)... which it was proverbially, especially linking low res proxis to a tape-based system. That was fun(!)

I had one client that bought a Hell and they actually had to remove 2 widows and make one large one out of them, in order to install the beast on the second floor with a fork lift. But hey... what's another $15k for "building modification" when dropping $150k for quality?!

Another client went the Kodak route about the same time and dropped a cool $500k at CeBit with delivery in 6 months. I actually had to write the PPDs for the imagesetter to get them to work with FreeHand and their Macs. I wont say what I charged, but let's say I had no mercy considering what the Kodak techs were charging and couldn't get the thing to print even... I was "slightly" cheaper :)

Brings back some "fond" memories, all the while "fondling" my iPad and shaking my head with disbelief... unbelievable where we've all come in such a short period of time***.

I wonder if SJ saw tech where we're at now... or even thought we should be further along if it wasn't for Bill Gates holding us back all those years?

*** Don't call me old. I'm "experienced"... that's all! :smokey:
  • Reply 24 of 77
    emesemes Posts: 239member

Is that Chrome?

• Reply 25 of 77
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I wonder if SJ saw tech where we're at now... 

• Reply 26 of 77
    Excellent review. I did purchase the Sharp PN-K321 to go with my new Mac Pro. Photos and videos were amazing as advertised. Unfortunately, without proper scaling the UI elements were just to small for comfortable reading - at least for me. I do understand that 10.9.3 will solve this. So that issue, along with the somewhat 'cheezy' build quality (I am used to Apple Displays) made me return the display. I will wait until Apple or another manufacturer builds a 4K display that I can live with.
  • Reply 27 of 77
    Expensive, 4K? That's relative. I've got a 4K Seiki at work and another at home office. $380 each, thank you Amazon. Working with four programs on one screen at full size each is amazing. Let alone using all 4K for spreadsheets. Sure they're not IPS, only do 4K at 30Hz. For day to day you can't beat them. But even at $3k that's only $750 per 1K which plenty pay for high spec gamer or photo quality monitors.
  • Reply 28 of 77
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member

This monitor is only useful if all you want to do on your Mac Pro is run FinalCutPro X. The resolution and lack of scaling in Mac OS X for the 4K resolution make all other apps and the Mac UI elements tiny and for the most part unusable because they are so small. This is like running something 175% more resolution than a 27" Cinema Display at Native Resolution, and trying to operate the Mac OS X running at this resolution. At the 4K resolution, you would need a 40" display to operate comfortably. Until Apple works something out for UI scaling to emulate some Retina-type scaled resolution, I see this display as not practical for general computing needs. Only useful if you plan to dedicate a Mac Pro workstation solely to run FinalCutPro X, because really that is the only app that can take advantage of the native resolution.

Don't quote me on the 175%, the amount of pixels is more than double, but what I mean is the workable size of the UI elements is that much smaller than working on a 2560x1440 display at 27" - 32" is only 5 inches larger, but the resolution is almost twice horizontal and twice vertical, thus the UI elements are roughly 175% smaller than an Apple Cinema Display 27.

• Reply 29 of 77
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    ??? What are those ??? :smokey::D

And weren't you special(!) All I was talking about was "simple" 24-bit SupraMacs with calibrator... and I believe Radius cards.

Anyway, I'll up ya one: try a Quantel Paintbox hitched to a Hell(!!!)... which it was proverbially, especially linking low res proxis to a tape-based system. That was fun(!)

I had one client that bought a Hell and they actually had to remove 2 widows and make one large one out of them, in order to install the beast on the second floor with a fork lift. But hey... what's another $15k for "building modification" when dropping $150k for quality?!

Another client went the Kodak route about the same time and dropped a cool $500k at CeBit with delivery in 6 months. I actually had to write the PPDs for the imagesetter to get them to work with FreeHand and their Macs. I wont say what I charged, but let's say I had no mercy considering what the Kodak techs were charging and couldn't get the thing to print even... I was "slightly" cheaper :)

Brings back some "fond" memories, all the while "fondling" my iPad and shaking my head with disbelief... unbelievable where we've all come in such a short period of time***.

I wonder if SJ saw tech where we're at now... or even thought we should be further along if it wasn't for Bill Gates holding us back all those years?

*** Don't call me old. I'm "experienced"... that's all! :smokey:

I'm not old either. It's my dad in the mirror I swear!

My company was selling all this stuff, hence I had endless toys whenever I wanted courtesy of the bank overdraft :D. I was an amazing era to have lived through for sure, technologically speaking. We had a few SupraMac monitors through our hands too, my back remembers doing exhibitions and lifting those bloody things out of boxes (grimace). In those days the biggest problem I had was stopping my best PostScript guy from playing Dark Castle whenever no one was looking.

Don't get me started on Gates! :no:
  • Reply 30 of 77
    The fly in the ointment here is that this display, as well as all of the currently available 4K displays AFAIK, uses a TN panel. I can't imagine spending that much money on a TN panel that's not even going to have accurate colors thanks to the color shifting that TN panels have.

For the same reason, I wouldn't be too excited about an Apple 4K display coming out any time soon. I'd imagine Apple would probably wait until IPS panels were available in 4K resolution to go that route.
  • Reply 31 of 77
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The fly in the ointment here is that this display, as well as all of the currently available 4K displays AFAIK, uses a TN panel. I can't imagine spending that much money on a TN panel that's not even going to have accurate colors thanks to the color shifting that TN panels have.

For the same reason, I wouldn't be too excited about an Apple 4K display coming out any time soon. I'd imagine Apple would probably wait until IPS panels were available in 4K resolution to go that route.

Doesn't this depend on whether you are dealing with one person is sitting working at the Mac or you are concerned about a room full of people viewing the screen from all angles?
  • Reply 32 of 77
    fearlessfearless Posts: 138member
    Some tech info please, if someone can please help - what's the bit depth and gamut? Most displays are 8-bit. For anything resembling film work, P3 gamut and a minimum of 10-bit (ideally 12) are vital. Also the linearity to allow low light levels (down to DCI 14 ftL) and 24/25fps refresh rates are just fine, as long as you're not trying to use it as a Mac desktop.
  • Reply 33 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

This one and most of them are IPS or equivalent. Only the cheap panels for under $1000 are TN.
  • Reply 34 of 77
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Monitors that support 4k at 60 Hz over HDMI won't be available until HDMI 2.0 hits the shelves. Prices of high-quality 4k displays should come down dramatically in the next few months.  HDMI 2.0 will make moving your computer into a separate room cheaper, too, because lengthy Thunderbolt cables are pricier than HDMI.

This Sharp monitor contains an expensive IGZO panel, not cheap TN or moderately priced IPS.

Why wasn't the Sharp tested with a Radeon 7950 in an early 2008 Mac Pro? Don't we generate enough ad revenue?

• Reply 35 of 77
    mstone wrote: »
    Well a sincere Thank You for the link to that wonderful piece of history! I mean that... while at the same time still taking issue with your comment regarding "telling stories of Steve Jobs' crucifuction""...:no: Really... what was up with that? Because it was so tasteless to be considered sarcastic humor(?) and the religious angle doesn't bother me because I'm not.

Anyway, I'm certainly aware of the famous SJ talk in Aspen '83 and have read about it years ago and seen the video of the same on YouTube. However, I gave it another listen, because yes it is amazing how SJ had the vision where this was all leading to, and how he and Apple were working to get us there. I must say that it's difficult to remember sometimes what a pure visionary and genius he really and truly was and how he was so true to his underlying principles through out his career, because we are constantly being bombarded with revisionist history from the haters.

For example, I just recently saw the abominable movie "Jobs" with Kutscher. Downright despicable how they portrait SJ, and it doesn't even deserve a comment as to where, because the entire movie is a fraud.

Then the true fraud among tech luminaries of our time, Mr Bill Gates is asked on 24 January 2014 (!!!!!) by Jimmy Fallon on the Late Show, "so what's the next best thing on the horizon?" What's that silly (senile?) wanna-be visionary answer? HANDWRITING RECOGNITION! I fiirst thought he was joking, and so did some in the crowd, until BG mimiced writing on a mobile device. How truly sad that he was serious. The only positive side to that is that he also is sticking to his underlying beliefs and principles, no matter how shortsighted they are.

Sorry for the side track. However I do believe that this part of the discussion as it relates to 4k is important, because the last few posts are surely missing that vision of what 4k means, what it's bringing to the table in a very short period of time... and how unbelievably affordable it is even now to make the leap and get started. Although I will admit I'm waiting for my traditional late Fall investment to do so myself this round :smokey:

Bill Gates and Jimmy Fallon on the Late Show
  • Reply 36 of 77

I would just like to double my post to this, to say for the record that I think every a**hat that comes around here spouting BS about Apple innovation and Steve Jobs being little more than a carneval barker salesman, should be chained to a stool and made to listen to this speach. Once again, from June 1983! The knowledge and undeniable inflection of his voice alone, goes against any and all commentary that proclaims SJ as "just a marketing guru".

I would suggest everyone give it a listen if you haven't already!
  • Reply 37 of 77
    Quote:
    Well a sincere Thank You for the link to that wonderful piece of history! I mean that... while at the same time still taking issue with your comment regarding "telling stories of Steve Jobs' crucifuction""...image 

You are right. It was a bit over the top. I apologize to all who were offended.

My point although poorly communicated is that Apple is NOT A FUCKING RELIGION. just a pretty good corporation.

• Reply 38 of 77
    I'm not old either. It's my dad in the mirror I swear!
    I wish I could use that as an excuse, because mine is better looking at 88 than I am!:rolleyes:
    My company was selling all this stuff, hence I had endless toys whenever I wanted courtesy of the bank overdraft :D. I was an amazing era to have lived through for sure, technologically speaking. We had a few SupraMac monitors through our hands too, my back remembers doing exhibitions and lifting those bloody things out of boxes (grimace). In those days the biggest problem I had was stopping my best PostScript guy from playing Dark Castle whenever no one was looking.
    Those SupraMacs (3) got lugged out of my house to recycling just last October... so I know what you mean!

The clients I mentioned in my post were clients of my client, since I also worked as a subcontractor for an Apple Authorized Reseller here in the 90s as a trainer and print tech. I later decided to offer graphic design services to the clients I serviced and trained, because they eventually had more capacity and orders than they could find employees to train and get up to speed. Its also how I had access to so many toys. What I didn't purchase myself, I could use at a clients in exchange for other services if need be.
    Don't get me started on Gates! :no:
    Seriously... watch the Fallon link above. A "MicroCosm" of that guys "train of thought", which left the station long ago!
  • Reply 39 of 77
    You are right. It was a bit over the top. I apologize to all who were offended.

My point although poorly communicated is that Apple is NOT A FUCKING RELIGION. just a pretty good corporation.
    Wel if I didn't know your post history, I would have been easily fooled that you were a troll of the very worst kind.

Thanks for the clarifiaction... I'm good now :smokey:
  • Reply 40 of 77
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

https://soundcloud.com/mbtech/talk-by-steven-jobs-idca-1983I would suggest everyone give it a listen if you haven't already!

Jump to 25:00 on the time for the major iPad prophesy