HTC unveils 5" HTC One M8 with gesture controls, dual rear cameras, slo-mo video

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    droidftw wrote: »
    It's showing the front (on the left) and back (on the right) of the phone.  No cameras are being covered.

I just found a page detailing it more. Knowing that now I really don't like it. On top of that you need to double-tap the top to get it to turn on which seems pretty pointless compared to just hitting the button to see the time, etc. or it being a task to flip over the cover to use. I also wonder if the thickness of the plastic compared to the size of the holes means that dot-matrix images won't show up well under certain conditions. Will they have a way to adjust the lighted pixels for optimize viewing thought the case?
  • Reply 22 of 109
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

I quite like the idea of the dot case.

• Reply 23 of 109
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

The iPhone 5C isn't even in the same league as this phone. Also if it's too big does that mean you won't be upgrading when Apple comes out with its' bigger iPhone? By the way it's called "malware".

http://www.cnet.com/news/htc-one-m8-specs-versus-samsung-galaxy-s5-iphone-5s/

You're right about that. The 5C is selling way more.

• Reply 24 of 109
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I just found a page detailing it more. Knowing that now I really don't like it. On top of that you need to double-tap the top to get it to turn on which seems pretty pointless compared to just hitting the button to see the time, etc. or it being a task to flip over the cover to use. I also wonder if the thickness of the plastic compared to the size of the holes means that dot-matrix images won't show up well under certain conditions. Will they have a way to adjust the lighted pixels for optimize viewing thought the case?

The ad is awful and I'm still in shock they picked those three colors. The double-tap doesn't make any sense I'm not sure what value that can add. Yep down to ripping off colors and crazy hardware. Too bad the ppi are good and the phone should be fast. 

• Reply 25 of 109
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

You're right about that. The 5C is selling way more.

I would hope so the phone was just released today. HTC overall builds the best Android phone, the fit and finish of their phones are always good. Can't tell you how well a phone is going to sell when it was released less than 24 hours ago. The problem with HTC and LG is they are putting too many odd features on their phones. 

The index finger control on the back of the LG G2 just plain stupid. The double-tap on the HTC One also makes no sense. However some on this forum have a habit of bashing something they never touched or even saw in person. We will find out if the 5C is a success if Apple decides to release a 6C. 

• Reply 26 of 109
    "No biometric sensors" was mentioned twice. Just because Apple has a fingerprint sensor HTC does not have to have one. I know the One Max has a fingerprint sensor but I never read that it worked reliably. Maybe choosing to skip the fingerprint sensor was a wise decision to help the M8 provide a better experience to its customers. Or, it is possible Samsung locked up all or nearly all of the Validity fingerprint sensor supply so that HTC could not buy any for the M8.
  • Reply 27 of 109
    Just because Apple has a fingerprint sensor HTC does not have to have one.

Considering how brilliant it is on the iPhone, that Samsung et al. are using them, including the HTC One Max, it seems to be that it should be noted if there isn't one.
  • Reply 28 of 109
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    With timely OS updates too!

Oh wait...
  • Reply 29 of 109
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    All the hyperbole I'm reading about this phones design is laughable. When the 5 came out the tech press referred to it as a stretched out 4S and mocked Apple's video where Jony Ive said it was completely redesigned. The design of the One (M8) isn't that much different to last years device and yet the tech media is calling it the Cadillac of phones and the design more aspirational than the iPhone. BGR has already crowned it the best smartphone ever. Seems a bit of a double standard to me. If Apple doesn't radically redesign their phone it's considered boring and just an incremental update. Yet that's exactly what we got with HTCs new phone but the tech press is drooling over it like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 30 of 109
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Really HTC? These are the only colors you could come up with?

That's really pathetic!

• Reply 31 of 109
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    That's really pathetic!
    I know design matters to a lot of people and I applaud HTC for bringing good design to Android handsets. But if this phone was plastic (even high quality plastic like 5C or Lumia phones) would the BGRs of the world be branding it the best smartphone ever? From what I can tell it's an incremental upgrade on par with the GS5 (though the camera seems to be meh) but people are shitting their pants over this phone while they yawned when the GS5 was announced. All because the phone case is metal.
  • Reply 32 of 109
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    solipsismx wrote: »
    That video is awful. Haven't they learned that a cold, industrial video doesn't attract as many people a heartfelt, personal video. This is a communication device so show how it can connect you to others.

I feel bad for HTC. They try so hard with the products and they just can't send the right message about why people should buy their products instead of Samsung's. HTC deserves to be where Samsung is now.

It might help if they didn't make 22 different models of smartphone:

http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/

That way they don't dilute the attention for their flagship models. Then they should actually promote the things they've done better with the flagship model.
  • Reply 33 of 109
    emesemes Posts: 239member

It's a very nice looking phone, I'll give them that, and the dot case looks cool.

Random fact: double-tapping the phone will also wake it up from sleep, similar to Windows Phone 8.

• Reply 34 of 109
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Marvin wrote: »
    I feel bad for HTC. They try so hard with the products and they just can't send the right message about why people should buy their products instead of Samsung's. HTC deserves to be where Samsung is now.

It might help if they didn't make 22 different models of smartphone:

http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/

That way they don't dilute the attention for their flagship models. Then they should actually promote the things they've done better with the flagship model.

That is considerably down from the 51 models that they offered just 2 years ago.

http://allthingsd.com/20120126/htc-to-give-up-on-quantity-and-try-quality/

Mass marketing can be beat by quality marketing, but HTC has neither.
  • Reply 35 of 109
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

What an ugly POS.  They have no taste at all.  It is WAY too big to use one handed and it will not fit in a pocket.  The camera is not as good as Apple.  And Android is fragmented and has all kinds of malwhere on all the phones.

This is not even as good as the 5C which is outselling HTC.

If I wasn't an iPhone user, I'd definitely get an HTC such as this, probably the best non-Apple smartphone that I've seen close up. It's a shame that so many Android users buy that Samsung junk instead.

• Reply 36 of 109
    An iPhone for Apple haters. :)
  • Reply 37 of 109
    ws11ws11 Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Really HTC? These are the only colors you could come up with?

HTC-One-M8_Gunmetal_Silver_Gold-imp-1032x400.jpg

hero_hero_mba_11.png

By the looks of it, they just cut out the blue and red versions of the first HTC One:

• Reply 38 of 109
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ws11 wrote: »
    By the looks of it, they just cut out the blue and red versions of the first HTC One:

htc-one-gold-marquee-slide-02.png 

And black
  • Reply 39 of 109
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    And black

And the "metallic brown" colour.

But I'd say they dropped all the current colors to replace with a more subtle gold, smokey silver, and light silver.
  • Reply 40 of 109
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The double tapping is actually surprisingly productive.  On my LG G2, the power button is at the back (insane change just for the sake of standing out), so I started using the double tap to turn it on.  Now I find that I want to do that on my Nexus devices as well!  You are of course shaving off just fractions of seconds, but it's easy to get used to.