HTC unveils 5" HTC One M8 with gesture controls, dual rear cameras, slo-mo video

Comments

• Reply 61 of 109
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Lots of digital ink was used writing countless reviews and comments about the original HTC One. It was thought to be one of the best phones around.

But you're right... it didn't sell very well.

I don't see what has changed in a year to reverse HTC's fortunes. If anything... the mobile marketplace is even tougher now.

Best of luck to them.

HTC was not able to obtain enough 4MP UltraPixel image sensors from STM initially.  It lost momentum. 

• Reply 62 of 109
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Best is a subjective term.

You have to consider that Apple deals with a lot more volume than HTC so a lot more resources and production have to be done before they can sell a single unit, especially since they sell many millions their opening weekend so it's possible that Apple has to sign off their final design before HTC does; but that's beside the point. I guess I fail to see how it would be "the best" in 2013 if they waited until later in the year when iPhones from previous years are besting the HTC One in independent tests.

Best is certainly subjective and that's why I fully expect the iPhone 5S to be considered the best smartphone of 2013 at AppleInsider.  Likewise, I'd expect the Moto X to be considered the best smartphone of 2013 at a site like MotorolaInsider and the Galaxy S4 to be considered the best at SamsungInsider.

Your benchmark scores, while impressive, mean little to me.  AI members are traditionally anti-benchmark scores and for good reason.  I would have expected you to know how little benchmark scores mean as you're a long time member.  However, your charts do help to reinforce my point!  The newer phone topped the older phone in how well they can perform that benchmark test.  Despite this, the HTC One was still considered the best smartphone of 2013 by most sources.  Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Lots of digital ink was used writing countless reviews and comments about the original HTC One. It was thought to be one of the best phones around.

But you're right... it didn't sell very well.

I don't see what has changed in a year to reverse HTC's fortunes. If anything... the mobile marketplace is even tougher now.

Best of luck to them.

This is the truth and as a big fan of HTC phones, the truth hurts.  I doubt the HTC One M8 is going to turn things around for them.

• Reply 63 of 109
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    droidftw wrote: »
    Best is certainly subjective and that's why I fully expect the iPhone 5S to be considered the best smartphone of 2013 at AppleInsider.  Likewise, I'd expect the Moto X to be considered the best smartphone of 2013 at a site like MotorolaInsider and the Galaxy S4 to be considered the best at SamsungInsider.

Your benchmark scores, while impressive, mean little to me.  AI members are traditionally anti-benchmark scores and for good reason.  I would have expected you to know how little benchmark scores mean as you're a long time member.  However, your charts do help to reinforce my point!  The newer phone topped the older phone in how well they can perform that benchmark test.  Despite this, the HTC One was still considered the best smartphone of 2013 by most sources.  Pretty impressive if you ask me.

They are if they scores are so segmented that they don't consider other scores or the user experience. For example, having the fastest CPU in a phone means nothing if get horrible battery life or if the OS and other SW is so inefficient that a slower device with more efficient code feels faster even if in raw computing it's slower. Same goes for the display, having a higher PPI is great (to a point) but there are other considerations like the batter life and GPU performance that needs to be considered thereby making the "best" claim on benchmark pointless in and of itself.
    This is the truth and as a big fan of HTC phones, the truth hurts.  I doubt the HTC One M8 is going to turn things around for them.

As [@]Marvin[/@] stated, their lineup is too diluted to have a breakaway success.

edit: I accidentally found a Huddler feature that displays the various keyboard shortcuts one can use: Option-Zero

• Reply 64 of 109
    tzeshan wrote: »
    HTC was not able to obtain enough 4MP UltraPixel image sensors from STM initially.  It lost momentum. 

Hmmmm... I didn't know about the supply issue.
  • Reply 65 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

As @Marvin stated, their lineup is too diluted to have a breakaway success.

And Marvin is certainly correct.  I think that hurt them a lot early on and it allowed Samsung to run away with things in the Android market.  HTC bent over to appease the carriers who wanted 'exclusive' phones.  HTC is getting better about it now, but I definitely think it hurt their brand in the long run to start the way they did.

• Reply 66 of 109
    dsm76dsm76 Posts: 1member
    I don't see my phone, the Note 3,listed in the benchmarks.

Where did it come in?
  • Reply 67 of 109
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DSM76 View Post

I don't see my phone, the Note 3,listed in the benchmarks.

Where did it come in?

They're from Anandtech's review of the iPhone 5s published on Sept. 17, 2013.  The Note 3 hadn't been released yet.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/5

• Reply 68 of 109
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    They're from Anandtech's review of the iPhone 5s published on Sept. 17, 2013.  The Note 3 hadn't been released yet.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/5

I didn't know he was replying to my post. [@]DSM76[/@], here are the results from their Note 3 review.

• Reply 69 of 109
    Quote:

Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

You're right about that. The 5C is selling way more.

Wait a minute, I thought Apple's reporting made it impossible to know how many 5C they've sold? That's the fundamental argument of those who claim Tim was not expressing disappointment when he said sales of the 5C were not in precise alignment with officially sanctioned expectations that may or may not have been better or worse than whatever quantities may or may not have actually sold. If that's the case, how can you know that the 5C is outselling… well, anything?

Someone is making claims that are not true.

• Reply 70 of 109
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Let's face it the 2014 One doesn't look that much different than the 2013 One

Hm. My reaction to it was disappointment because I thought last year's model looked much better. My initial impression was that the look is very different.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

yet I haven't seen one tech site ding HTC the way Apple and Samsung get dinged because their designs look the same.

Maybe they're giving HTC a free pass, but maybe they perceive the same difference I do.

• Reply 71 of 109
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Wait a minute, I thought Apple's reporting made it impossible to know how many 5C they've sold? That's the fundamental argument of those who claim Tim was not expressing disappointment when he said sales of the 5C were not in precise alignment with officially sanctioned expectations that may or may not have been better or worse than whatever quantities may or may not have actually sold. If that's the case, how can you know that the 5C is outselling… well, anything?

Someone is making claims that are not true.

It's a safe statement to say that the 5C has outsold the HTC One M8 because the M8 just got released today.  It's not really a fair comparison to make on release day, but don't forget what website you're on.  ;)

• Reply 72 of 109
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

With timely OS updates too!

Oh wait...

Well, hopefully they have that part sorted out with 4.4.

HTC was one of the last phones I was considering before the iPhone released. They were making some neat phones during that time.

Then the iPhone happened.

• Reply 73 of 109
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

So many people hating on this phone, at least HTC pays Apple to use their patents :P Id support HTC over pretty much every other Android handset maker. 

• Reply 74 of 109
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Hm. My reaction to it was disappointment because I thought last year's model looked much better. My initial impression was that the look is very different.

Maybe they're giving HTC a free pass, but maybe they perceive the same difference I do.
    I liked last years model better too, but I don't think this model looks that much different. If this was Apple (or Samsung) the tech press would mocking it as just an "incremental update" and wondering what Apple designers do with all their time (as was said when the 5 was announced). The camera appears to be crap yet CNET's review gave the device 4.5 out of 5 stars (5S and S4 got 4 stars). The Verge too gave it a really high score when they've dinged other phones in the past for a weak camera. It's almost as if the tech press has decided to help prop up HTC in any way they can. Maybe that's a good thing; not letting Samsung become the only viable Android option.
  • Reply 75 of 109
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    And Marvin is certainly correct.  I think that hurt them a lot early on and it allowed Samsung to run away with things in the Android market.  HTC bent over to appease the carriers who wanted 'exclusive' phones.  HTC is getting better about it now, but I definitely think it hurt their brand in the long run to start the way they did.

A big mistake was making the Droid DNA for Verizon, and the HTC One for every other carrier. My brother was a big HTC fan but when his contract was up he chose the iPhone because there wasn't a good enough HTC phone available at the time. Their release dates don't match up with when their customers contracts are up, so they're left buying alternatives.
  • Reply 76 of 109
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I feel bad for HTC. They try so hard with the products and they just can't send the right message about why people should buy their products instead of Samsung's. HTC deserves to be where Samsung is now.

It might help if they didn't make 22 different models of smartphone:

http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/

That way they don't dilute the attention for their flagship models. Then they should actually promote the things they've done better with the flagship model.

It might help if they had a marketing budget of $14 billion, like Samsung.

• Reply 77 of 109
    chipsy wrote: »
    I like this smartphone. Only one thing that in my eyes is a bit of a disappointment is the camera. I get that megapixels aren't everything when it comes to photo quality. But I would have liked to have seen the One's camera being upped to 8MP or so (which would be more than enough) rather than sticking with 4MP.
    Btw: the sensor hub is not specially built in by HTC. All Snapdragon processors since the Snapdragon 600 (so also last years HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4) have built in sensor hubs like Apple's M7 (which is a NXP LPC18xx). Samsung has been using Atmel sensor hub MCU's since the S4.

While HTC is probable the only other phone maker I'd also consider (I like their build quality) besides apple at the moment, wouldn't you want to wait to see apple latest offering? From May it could only be 3-4 months away.

Just makes since to look at the playing field since we are all stuck with 2 year contracts.

Apple has got to have something up their sleeve with the iPhone 6 besides just a bigger screen.

Yet, a bigger screen and a refresh physical form factor is all I require.... which is all rumored to be true;)
  • Reply 78 of 109
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

I don't like the SD card.  There is really no need for that or else Apple would have them on the iPhone.

The only reason Apple doesn't have it in the iPhone is because if you want more storage, you have to pay an extra $100 over the previous storage capacity. Purely a profit reason only. Not every phone manufacturer feels the need to rip people off when in comes to getting more built in storage.

• Reply 79 of 109
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

I don't like the SD card.  There is really no need for that or else Apple would have them on the iPhone.

I used to believe that.  But now with lots stuff in my phone, I wish I could use SD card to store all the photos and videos instead of always running out of space and need to sync with my mbp.  Yeah, syncing up to cloud is another option but it eats up my bandwidth fast, or i have to constantly looking for free wifis...

• Reply 80 of 109
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    A big mistake was making the Droid DNA for Verizon, and the HTC One for every other carrier. My brother was a big HTC fan but when his contract was up he chose the iPhone because there wasn't a good enough HTC phone available at the time. Their release dates don't match up with when their customers contracts are up, so they're left buying alternatives.

People's contracts expire every single day of the year.

If Verizon has 100 million customers... 130,000 of them have their contracts expire today. And 130,000 will expire tomorrow... and so on.

There is really no good time for a company to release a phone based on when people's contracts are up.

If you release a phone today... someone will be ready to buy today. And the same is true for tomorrow. And next week. And next month.

My Verizon contract happens to expire on November 30, 2015. But there are plenty of people whose contracts expire tomorrow... and every day in between. So like I said... there is no perfect time for a company to release a phone since contracts are constantly expiring.

A person upgrades their phone once every 2 years... but people upgrade their phone every day.

Their best bet is to just release the phone and hope someone buys it. That's pretty much all they can do.