Apple event on tuesday? Is it a tablet?

Comments

• Reply 101 of 121
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>

They already do this. All you have to do is show your id and they'll give you the ed store price. unknown_source indeed. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Unless that is something new I am unaware of that ... not something they offered initially when the stores opened... Although they did offer tax deductible for education (or anyone who qualifies), is that what you are referring to? And, I said I have worked at one right? I did not say I still do...
  • Reply 102 of 121
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

both the northshore and palisades store said they don't do edu pricing yet but were planning to do it later on in the year</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm, that's interesting because I went to the Atlanta opening and got edu pricing on my airport basestation. Others in line got edu pricing on their hardware purchases, as well. I also saw this at the Durham, NC store. That said, they didn't offer the discount on software yet. So maybe that's what's coming?
  • Reply 103 of 121
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>

Hmm, that's interesting because I went to the Atlanta opening and got edu pricing on my airport basestation. Others in line got edu pricing on their hardware purchases, as well. I also saw this at the Durham, NC store. That said, they didn't offer the discount on software yet. So maybe that's what's coming?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am not saying you are wrong, that is just strange. Normally how Apple works with things like that is it is in the POS software, which is rolled out via Timbuktu (unless they moved to Apple Remote Desktop since I have been gone-I am not sure) but it is typically done all during the same week as there is only one version of POS software (not state or region specific)

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: the_unknown_source ]</p>
  • Reply 104 of 121
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatik:

<strong>Tablets suck. There are many threads about why they suck. To surmise, they're only useful for somewhere you can't type. Thus, no market. A flippable touchscreen iBook with stylus & InkWell makes more sense. Tablets suck. How many people here own one? How many know someone who does? I've never even seen one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You've never seen one, so clearly you know how much they suck. As a recovering digital artist, I used to use one all the time--you don't input text with a tablet. At least I never did. I used it to "paint" with Painter and Photoshop.

Anyway, my money is on Quicktime 6 for tomorrow's big announcement.
  • Reply 105 of 121
    [quote]Originally posted by sircletus:

<strong>

You've never seen one, so clearly you know how much they suck. As a recovering digital artist, I used to use one all the time--you don't input text with a tablet. At least I never did. I used it to "paint" with Painter and Photoshop.

Anyway, my money is on Quicktime 6 for tomorrow's big announcement.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Steve said it would ne in Jaguar... even on the Apple Jaguar page...

[quote]Jaguar includes QuickTime 6, the world?s first complete media solution<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 106 of 121
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by the_unknown_source:

<strong>

I am not saying you are wrong, that is just strange. Normally how Apple works with things like that is it is in the POS software, which is rolled out via Timbuktu (unless they moved to Apple Remote Desktop since I have been gone-I am not sure) but it is typically done all during the same week as there is only one version of POS software (not state or region specific)

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: the_unknown_source ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, the sales person had to type some things in manually from a book she had to get the discount working, so maybe they haven't implemented it on a chain-wide basis yet. That might also be the problem with the software discount. It's a lot easier to look the price for hardware than it is for software (just because of the numbers of items affected). But I did get the edu pricing on the ABS. $281. Who knows...
  • Reply 107 of 121
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by the_unknown_source:

[QB][/QB]<hr></blockquote>

Qt 6 is done. it supports OS 10.1.x, OS 9, and jaguar. doesn't require Jaguar though
  • Reply 108 of 121
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    "You've never seen one, so clearly you know how much they suck. As a recovering digital artist, I used to use one all the time--you don't input text with a tablet. At least I never did. I used it to "paint" with Painter and Photoshop."

I'd like to draw 'on' the screen.

That's the kinda tablet I'd like to see. A detachable or draw on-er-abley imac screen.

That would be cool for me.

It's odd to draw on a tablet to see the results on screen. Like some kinda 'out of body' experience.

When I use paper (to draw on...c'mon guys...) I don't have to look elsewhere to see the results of said pencil mark.

I'd love apple to release a 'base' and wacom 'on screen' drawing tablet.

Don't see it happening yet. Despite apple being the 'creative' company.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 109 of 121
    alpha macalpha mac Posts: 463member
    From Think Secret.

eMac heading to retail shelves

June 3, 2002 - Although Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs declared the CRT monitor end-of-line in January, it appears it's not as dead as once thought. Sources confirmed to Think Secret that Apple will announce Tuesday that its recently introduced 17-inch, all-in-one eMac for education will be sold to consumers through all retail channels, beginning soon.

While sources could not confirm the pricing of the systems, the existing models -- which will continue to be sold in the education channel -- are currently priced at $999 and $1,199. There is no information as to when the eMac will enter the channel for consumer sales, or if configurations and colors will remain the same.

"This is the official death of the CRT today," Jobs said during his keynote for Macworld Expo/San Francisco last January. Still, the company has continued to sell its sub-$1000 CRT iMac to consumers, providing an alternative to the higher-priced flat-panel iMac. A number of dealers have confirmed to Think Secret that sales of the all-in-one G3 model have begun to slow down over the course of the past four months. While resellers were uncertain as to what the drop can be attributed to, some speculated that it could be the result of the new flat-panel iMac introduction, or the economy.

Sources also believe there will be an additional announcement as well, but they did not elaborate.
  • Reply 110 of 121
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]both the northshore and palisades store said they don't do edu pricing yet but were planning to do it later on in the year<hr></blockquote>

This is no longer true, at least at the Northshore store. Education pricing works with an ID. As for the eMac rumor, I'm not sure if they are selling them yet. I might swing by today and look.
  • Reply 111 of 121
    "Apple is not selling food to hungry people. They are marketing materialism to some really materialistic people. If you're gonna be materialistic, at least don't be cheap about it. Jeez."

As long as Apple aint cheap with their specs, then that's no problem for me.

Lemon Bon Bon

(So why are we paying the premium again...?)
  • Reply 112 of 121
    "While resellers were uncertain as to what the drop can be attributed to, some speculated that it could be the result of the new flat-panel iMac introduction, or the economy."

Or that the specs of the G3 imacs are crap.

Lemon Bon Bon

• Reply 113 of 121
    jasonppjasonpp Posts: 308member
    QUicktime 6 and eMAc avalability to everyone. Go to Apple.com if you don't believe me.
  • Reply 114 of 121
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I have QT 6 already. Now just have to get an eMac.
  • Reply 115 of 121
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    [quote]Originally posted by sircletus:

<strong>

Anyway, my money is on Quicktime 6 for tomorrow's big announcement.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The point bieng that for what most people who have them use tablets for handwriting recoginition software is not needed, and could be a hinderance.
  • Reply 116 of 121
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    couldn't find where any one posted this

<a href="http://www.apple.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/</a>;

Thicksecrect was right. Unbelievable.

EMac Now Available for Everyone.
  • Reply 117 of 121
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    "e is for everyone"

i like it.
  • Reply 118 of 121
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Makes sense to me, and it lets them move the iMac to a 17" a bit more freely... especially since the eMac is already a 17" and supports higher resolutions that the iMac.

No doubt Steve will be explaining why he back tracked in those interviews today.
  • Reply 119 of 121
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Another Quicktime deal that will end up not coming out in time and the preview dies and screws my stuff up. Why would I want to download more evapware.
  • Reply 120 of 121
    penheadpenhead Posts: 45member
    Kinda offtopic, i know, but:

Did anyone catch what Sculley had to say?

It can't be ver earthshattering if nobody cared to report it, i guess ...

/penhead