Xbox?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well ... would anyone like to confess? Xbox users out there?

I'm interested in your impressions of the console and the games. All I heard yet was either "MS is a cool company and the Xbox is the coolest console ever" or "MS sucks and Xbox too".

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I won an XBox, so I have one. (No, it was NOT from Taco Bell).

Any way, I like Halo, the controller is kind of big, but you get used to it. Most of the games just aren't that good, though. I have DOA 3 as well, but the graphics and gameplay isn't that much better than DOA 2 for Dreamcast. Munch's Odyssey isn't that great of a game for the money (kind of kiddie).

Halo is definitely the 'killer app' for the XBox right now. That is the best game on the platform. DOA 3 is a close second.

The only major problem I've had with it is that when I was watching "The Big Lebowsky", the XBox crashed. My DVD remote was totally unresponsive and we had to 'reboot' the XBox. No warnings, messages, or anything. One second it was working, the next it was not.

I have every 'new' console that's out. I have DC, PS2, GCN, XBOX, and a GBA.

I have the most games for DC and PS2, I like the DC because it can go online, the Game Cube has Super Monkey Ball and Rogue Leader which are very addictive (especially SMB), and my GameBoy Advance is nice, but I wish it was backlit like the old Game Gears were. The XBox looks to have a lot of interesting games, but right now, there's nothing out there that I'd rush out and buy for it. On the other hand, I'm grabbing up DC stuff like crazy because it's so cheap, and I wouldn't mind having SSB:M for GCN either.

Answer enough questions for you?
  • Reply 2 of 53
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>Answer enough questions for you?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I rest my case. Thanks!

It will be interesting to see how all consoles perform worldwide. Concerning Dreamcast: I love that console, it was the first true Next Gen Console. Hardware and software are being sold out, and right now there is no better way to get one of the best consoles for this price - and the games as well.

I may have to wait for Halo, but in the meantime I can play Shenmue II.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    I bought one from Best Buy the day it was released. Haven't opened it yet, though. I'm waiting until just before X-Mas, then I'm selling it on fleaBay with overnight shipping. Hopefully, MS won't have caught up with demand by then. :cool:

Last year, a PS2 sold for $5000 just days before Christmas. I don't think MS is experiencing a shortage as bad as Sony was, but if I can make a few hundred, I'll be happy.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    Fran, you bastard

I have _no_ consoles. I'm looking into investing 20-30 bucks on a classic Nintendo for my dorm room: TecmoBowl football and RBI Baseball, anyone?
  • Reply 5 of 53
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Final fantasy V --- best soundtrack, best special effects and best leading male caracter...

Runner up Zelda... long live 2D...

And of course the japanese sqare masterpiece Seikendensentsu 3 ... Some one did a emulator translation of this game...(secrets of mana 2) So if want to play it in english, you can do it on your mac... (remember you have to own the game... ;-)

Super nintendo is the console that never goes out of style. The games look and sounds better now than ever...
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Turbo Grafix 16 all the way.....
  • Reply 7 of 53
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    You should have sold the week of launch...or even before (but the latter is a shady practice.)

Selling a preorder of a preorder should be against the eBay terms.

Waiting till the week before Christmas is risky, because MS and Nintendo are sure to have thought ahead and built-up stockpiles for those people.

For comparison, I got a scant $415+shipping and $380+shipping for the two that I bought. In hindsight, it wasn't quite worth it. It was worth the experiment though.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    [quote]Turbo Grafix 16 all the way.....<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I'm still working on Legendary Axe.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i've been wrestling with this decision ever since the xbox spec.'s were announced. here's how i look at it...

though i hate to say it, the xbox is a sweet machine hardware-wise... but your story about a dvd crashing is, well, so microsoft. dvd players aren't supposed to crash anymore than i should have to boot up my phone. guess there IS a lil' microsoft OS rumbling around in there after all.

i have a lot of loyalty to nintendo, and a trust that they'll bring some great games to the gamecube. but a lot of the earliest games look like re-hashes of nintendo classics... luigi, star wars... 'course, if they're good, i guess i won't care. and it doesn't do dvd's - and man-o-man, i love dvd's on my powerbook and imac. i just can't go back to vhs anymore.

the PS2 is the one that is really starting to catch my attention. when it first came out, there were no games out there, but the games have finally started to catch up and -- correct me if i am wrong -- it is backward compatible to all the original playstation games which i never got to play. plus it does dvd's -- tres bien.

anyway, there's my thought. as far as dreamcast goes, i just couldn't stand the controller. i played with it in the toy store a few times, and it just seemed so friggin' huge...
  • Reply 10 of 53
    Powerful hardware does not guarantee success in the console gaming world.

Super Nintendo was arguably less powerful than Sega Genesis.

Sony PlayStation was arguably less powerful than Sega Saturn and Nintendo 64.

Atari Jaguar was more powerful than anything on the market at the time.

The same goes with 3DO.

TurboGrafx 16 was more powerful than the Nintendo (NES)

Lynx was more powerful than GameBoy.

XBox is a bit more powerful than GameCube and PS2.

If you want a good selection of games now...and games by Square...there's only once choice. Sony.

If you want Halo, theres only one choice. Microsoft.

If you want the entire Nintendo franchise, you'll have to go with GameCube. I just bought Super Smash Brothers Melee and Pikmin. Pikmin is wildly addictive and while SSBM is going to be a lot of fun with friends in a 4-way multiplayer set-up.

And it does take quite a bit of power to draw 200 Pikmin running around your screen.

The problem with the Dreamcast controller is that it forces your hands to be oriented like | |

With every other controller, including the large XBox controller, your hands are / \\

I toyed with an XBox again today, and the game they had on it was Amped. it had nice graphics but horrid controls.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    I have a quick question about the X-Box.

Does it come with a composite cable? Or is that what the Advanced A/V Pack is for?

I know the Advanced A/V has a cable with an S-Video connector and three smaller cables, but I couldn't tell if they were component or composite connectors.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    [quote]Waiting till the week before Christmas is risky, because MS and Nintendo are sure to have thought ahead and built-up stockpiles for those people.<hr></blockquote>

Risky, yes, but that's why I bought from Best Buy instead of online. I have 30 days to return it, risk free. No lost S&H charges.

However, I'm looking for that frenzied last-minute Christmas shopper for whom money is no object... heh.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    It's an extra 30 bucks for the <a href="http://gamefixx.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=286060&mid=304&submi d=80" target="_blank">DVD kit</a> which makes the XBox show DVDs on your TV.

The DVD player in the XBox and Playstation don't seem to be as good as a standalone DVD player w/progressive scan.

For those who plan to get one of these game consoles and gaming is the primary concern while price is a secondary concern the Gamecube is $130 less than XBox w/DVD and $100 less than the PS2.

For about $150 or so you can get a pretty good DVD player. For about another $50 you can get one with progressive scan.

Just some thoughts.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Yes, but you can't play Unreal Championship on GCN.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Pics are <a href="http://www.unrealchampionship.com/gallery.html"; target="_blank">here</a>.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Yes, but you can't play Unreal Championship on GCN

No, but you can play Unreal tournament 2 on a PC and possible a Mac, which is going to be MUCH better

UC is gonna suck, imagine trying to play UT with a nanalogue stick?! ewwwwwwwww....

Halo is irritating enough already.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    The component video adapter has 5 RCA outputs on it...

3 component outs

2 (L/R) composite sound outs

and it also has a S/PDIF plug for digital audio.

I think the composite video adapter is separate from the S-Video one...as is the RF adapter.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    Unreal Championship? Are XBox players going to be able to play PC gamers? If so, get ready to be 0wn3d.

Heh.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    I just picked up a Dreamcast on Friday (after thinking about it for 4 days (I am poor) ).

I got the Classic pack (Sports pack was sold out (and I don't like sports but wish I had gotten that one). along with

?Crazy Taxi

?Crazy Taxi 2

?Daytona USA

?Sega GT

?Sega Rally 2

?Sega Smashpack 1

?Test Drive 6

?Test Drive le Mans

?Vanishing Point

I also got to Sega VMU's.

Then on Monday I ordered (since no place in Vancouver B.C. had them) from <a href="http://www.ebgames.com"; target="_blank">www.ebgames.com</a>

?2 Tremor packs

?1 Controller

?2 Massive Memeory packs (I tried to cancel these @2am, but was too late. I hear they aren't reliable, and then found out today they are a docking station for connecting to a PC

I am beyond broke, and well won't be getting anything else for it.

So I am hoping since the Massive memery packs shipped seperately, that I can get the tracking number in time to refuse the package, else it's $85+ to ship it back to them (meaning a $50 loss fofr me after refund).

I am a casuall gamer.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    As of now, Unreal Championship hasn't been announced for anything other than XBox.

BTW, you play Halo with a controller, and it's not bad. What's wrong with Unreal on a controller?

Hasn't anyone ever played UT on a Dreamcast? The game only costs $7.99 at Best Buy if you can find it.

BTW, nice Dreamcast list with the exception of Test Drive 6 (that game blows. )

Edit: My smiley had 'issues'.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Fran441 ]</p>