Apple once again rumored to launch MacBook Air with Retina display this year

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    heliahelia Posts: 170member
    DigiTimes?! Now I'm sure that Apple will not launch MacBook Air with Retina display this year!
  • Reply 42 of 57
    ws11ws11 Posts: 159member

About time, the ASUS UX301 (albeit more expensive) and the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, have been out for quite a while now.

UX301:

• 2.60 lbs

• 0.60 " thick

• 13.3 " 2560 x 1440 display

Yoga 2 Pro:

• 3.01 lbs

• 0.61 " thick

• 13.3 " 3200 x 1800 display

MBA:

• 2.96 lbs

• 0.68 " thick

• 13.3 " 1440 x 900 display

• Reply 43 of 57

I love the idea of a lighter and thinner Macbook Air but I find it hard to survive without a cat5 cable. I know it's all about WiFi but WiFi isn't realiable everywhere and being able to directly connect is a nice thing to have.

• Reply 44 of 57
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan Hart View Post

I love the idea of a lighter and thinner Macbook Air but I find it hard to survive without a cat5 cable. I know it's all about WiFi but WiFi isn't realiable everywhere and being able to directly connect is a nice thing to have.

• Reply 45 of 57
    I figure if apple were to release 12 inch IPad apple would eliminate the 11 inch air and according to this go from 13 to 12 inch. I also figure either next year or this year will be apples final push for retina, being MBA, IMac, and the thunderbolt. Of course this new retina MacBook Air would likely have same battery setup, dropping it back to 7-10 hours. Question is would they keep other specs and have it $1200 or maybe drop them back to maintain $1000 price.
  • Reply 46 of 57
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    "I wish my ipod was a phone. ... Yeah, but I don't want an iphone." (The Office)
    There is very little size difference between the MBPr & an MBA for me the care about. I say do away with the Air line and just concentrate on the Pro. With the way thumb drives r working to get sleek enough to barely notice, I'm cool with just sticking them in for what I'm doing in order to increase storage.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    hillstones wrote: »
    Three words for you: full of crap.

Four green bottles for me: standing on the wall.
  • Reply 48 of 57
    pmz wrote: »
    I wish the Air met my performance needs. Sad to say it does not.

What I need right now is the Mac mini to see an update.

Is the Mac Pro not powerful enough for you?
  • Reply 49 of 57
    I figure if apple were to release 12 inch IPad apple would eliminate the 11 inch air and according to this go from 13 to 12 inch. I also figure either next year or this year will be apples final push for retina, being MBA, IMac, and the thunderbolt. Of course this new retina MacBook Air would likely have same battery setup, dropping it back to 7-10 hours. Question is would they keep other specs and have it $1200 or maybe drop them back to maintain $1000 price.

Apple should release a 12" iPad and eliminate the MacBook Airs and the MacBook Pro 13", leaving just the 15" for those—the truck drivers—who need it.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    Oh,come on,apple!

Shut up and take my money.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

They will you sucker!

• Reply 52 of 57
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member

This machine sounds really exciting. It sounds as if it'll be a bit like a larger iPad with a keyboard. If it has built-in LTE connectivity, then it will be even better. Could be perfect travel companion for people who need to send longish emails, review documents and watch movies when on the move. I wonder if it might have a touch screen as well as a keyboard and track pad?

• Reply 53 of 57
    irun262irun262 Posts: 121member
    So, would you still buy it if they used an A8 processor (instead of Intel)?
  • Reply 54 of 57
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    tailpipe wrote: »
    This machine sounds really exciting. It sounds as if it'll be a bit like a larger iPad with a keyboard. If it has built-in LTE connectivity, then it will be even better.
    LTE would be nice in a light weight laptop. One of the things I love about my iPad is its always connected nature with the LTE option.
    Could be perfect travel companion for people who need to send longish emails, review documents and watch movies when on the move. I wonder if it might have a touch screen as well as a keyboard and track pad?

Any laptop, that is a clam shell like device, without a keyboard and track pad wouldn't be very useful would it?
  • Reply 55 of 57
    yazolightyazolight Posts: 118member

Macbook Air + Retina, the perfect laptop for 99% of the population :D

• Reply 56 of 57
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    yazolight wrote: »
    Macbook Air + Retina, the perfect laptop for 99% of the population :D

Especially if they can address the storage shortage issue. My old MBP is on its last legs. I know people often wonder what that phrase means but in my case it means a bad keyboard, an old hard drive and a video screen going bad. I'm just glad that the old Mac, along with Mavericks, can so easily drive an external screen.

The obvious thing is that I will need a new machine of some sort soon. An AIR might just be the ticket.