Poll: How stupid is the avergage PC consumer?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 116
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>I don't think spending $1500 on an iMac SE is stupid at all, EmAn, DoctorGonzo. I don't think price is a factor in this argument either. In fact, I think the reason why the average Mac user is just slighlty better in regards to the topic is because they have already considered Mac or PC and made a judgement NOT based on MHz or ther technobabble they don't really understand.

Can you really blame a person for buying a computer because it's pretty? Can you blame a person because the computer they bought was easier to set-up than anything else?

Without places like CompUSA, where do you propose people buy computers? Fry's? That's not a nationwide chain, nor is it much different than CompUSA. When you think about, CompUSA isn't that bad a place to buy a computer. Where else can you go? Online? I don't think I have to tell you about the stigma of online theft/security that most people are paranoid about. So, unless you're planning on buying a Mac, Gateway or a crappy generic computer without decent support, CompUSA is a god-send.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You've made some good points, Eugene. I don't know about other people, but when I talk about how bad CompUSA is, for the most part I mean the Mac section. I guess I should be more specific about that.

The only reason why I think spending $1500 for an iMac is because overall it's specs are horrible for the price. 15" CRT? Rage 128? That stuff doesn't belong in a $1500 computer IMO.
  • Reply 22 of 116
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    The more ignorant they are the easier it should be to turn them to the mac no? As opposed to a Windows Zealot.
  • Reply 23 of 116
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>

second, for a good RAM HD metaphor.

i tell people to think of it as a big filing cabinet.

HD space is the size of the filing cabinet. the bigger it is, the more files it can hold total. i tell them that ram is like how many files you can hold in your hand and work with at any given time. the more ram you have, the more files you can pull out of the cabinet and work with. that seems to work for most people.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If people need a metaphor to understand ram and HD´s they shouldn´t get a computer at all

:eek:

No I challenge you all to come up with a metaphor that at the same time explains Mhz, stages, bus speed, cache size and speed ratio.
  • Reply 24 of 116
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>

If people need a metaphor to understand ram and HD´s they shouldn´t get a computer at all

:eek:

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep. You're absolutely right.
  • Reply 25 of 116
    [quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:

<strong>Actually I bet a lot of people would think a 2.3 ghz cordless phone could kick a Pentium 4's ass (afterall, it's only 2ghz) People are so ****ing dumb. my school is making us all get laptops next year and they won't let us get Macs because they are afraid that it won't be compatible with the windows network. I've talked to the administration, the head master and the principal and they all don't seem to get that macs will work on their network. They ever refuse to try it! Hell, with a Mac you could just plug it in to the network and it would work. A PC would actually be HARDER to set up. People think macs are jokes and that they are not able to do anything! It makes me sooooo mad.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Assuming you have a notebook, why don't you just bring it in and hook it up. Then demonstrate how well it works.

Maybe if they see it they'll believe it.
  • Reply 26 of 116
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    It annoys me just how little many people know about computers. I don't know much either, but at least I don't bring up an argument in school about it.

Friend: Hey ever played Counterstrike?

Me: Yeah, but I don't have it. Sierra pulled the plugs on the Mac port.

Friend: Mac port? You have a Mac?

Me: Yeah. Why? What do you have?

Friend: HA! Macs suck!

Me: Why?

Friend: You can't even run Windows on those!

Me: Hey so what kind of a CPU are you using?

Friend: uhh...40 gigabytes or something. Gateway makes it.

• Reply 27 of 116
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>.

first, to Gumby. actually, i've always wondered about this.

why shouldn't people be able to come in 5 min. before you close and expect a sandwich? you're open. those are the store hours. the hours you are open to do business, right? now, i now it's amazingly rude and all, but what's a good reason why they shouldn't expect a sandwhich from a sandwhich store during its posted business hours?

if you don't want to be there for an hour after midnight cleaning up, close at 11. i'm sorry, but if the hours are posted as open, i think people have every reason to expect that they could go in the place and order.

Ok, first....you've never worked fast food have you?

Second....its MIDNIGHT! i am tired and i have to drive 8 miles home in a car that i don't know if its even going to start up half the time.

Third...i offer everyone who comes down, that they can buy anything BUT a sandwhich. But to tell me that you just NOW got hungry at 5 till? Sorry i don't buy it.

Fourth, if i could close at 11 i would....trust me.

Fith...ive closed with the Operating Manager who co-owns all the subways in my town....and even he closed the gate between 5-7 till.

Listen, im all for service....and i would have served them if we closed earlier...like at 10 or 11 (the in town stores close at 11)

Ok, i can already hearing you....so if you don't like closing at midnight, then get a new job....

My reply is this....

Im the night time supervisor, and all i have to do is close 3 nights a week and i get a hefty paycheck. (simply because we are open so late) if i were to go somewhere else then i would have to work more days and more hours. So, until i move into the new house next spring im not leaving.

please people, cut the late night fast food place workers some slack.....don't wait till the last minute....
  • Reply 28 of 116
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:

<strong>It annoys me just how little many people know about computers. I don't know much either, but at least I don't bring up an argument in school about it.

Friend: Hey ever played Counterstrike?

Me: Yeah, but I don't have it. Sierra pulled the plugs on the Mac port.

Friend: Mac port? You have a Mac?

Me: Yeah. Why? What do you have?

Friend: HA! Macs suck!

Me: Why?

Friend: You can't even run Windows on those!

Me: Hey so what kind of a CPU are you using?

Friend: uhh...40 gigabytes or something. Gateway makes it.

I guess that's how all annoying teenage PC using guys are. That's what all the people I know who don't know anything about computers say.
  • Reply 29 of 116
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    [quote]Originally posted by gumby5647:

<strong>i am tired and i have to drive 8 miles home in a car that i don't know if its even going to start up half the time.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This doesn't have anything to do with this thread, but I drive 65 miles each way almost every day to work and school.
  • Reply 30 of 116
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by graphiteman:

<strong>

Assuming you have a notebook, why don't you just bring it in and hook it up. Then demonstrate how well it works.

Maybe if they see it they'll believe it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

One thing i forgot to mention is that there is a whole lab full of 30 iMacs hooked to this network, yet they insist that laptops aren't compatible. I am banging my head against the wall right now wishing I hadn't sold my iBook. These people seem like the "macs suck just because" types.
  • Reply 31 of 116
    99% of the people I encounter in chatrooms, when asked why Macs suck, say "becuz it duznt have a too buttun mouse!!"
  • Reply 32 of 116
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAgent:

<strong>99% of the people I encounter in chatrooms, when asked why Macs suck, say "becuz it duznt have a too buttun mouse!!" </strong><hr></blockquote>

Of course they say that because that's the only negative thing they could think of. They know Macs are better, they just don't wanna admit it and they wanna make Macs look bad.
  • Reply 33 of 116
    I think Apple Stores are the best way to inform them. Pity thy're only inthe US though.
  • Reply 34 of 116
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Of course they say that because that's the only negative thing they could think of. They know Macs are better, they just don't wanna admit it and they wanna make Macs look bad.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Most PC users are just jealous and they want to switch, but they can't because they're afraid all their friends will laugh at them. If only they knew the other PC users felt like them too. Well, not all, some are pure evil and can never be redeemed.
  • Reply 35 of 116
    [quote]Originally posted by macsarewaybetter:

<strong>I think Apple Stores are the best way to inform them. Pity thy're only inthe US though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If they actually go in an Apple Store then yeah it's the best way. But all the people I know that are PC users laugh at me when I tell them to go in an Apple Store just to see what it's like.
  • Reply 36 of 116
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    I can't believe the stuff I hear from kids at school. They complain about my 500 mhz iMac dv but they work on it every minute of class time it's available, and sometimes for hours after school. I ask them why they aren't working at home on thier PC's. Some of the answers. " We put in an Ieee card but it doesn't work. " " My video camera is only recognized by my software about half the time." " my dad knows how to use the video software but I don't" (Its never taken a kid longer than 15 minutes to understand 90% of iMovie). Not worth 1500$ for an iMac. No? buy a PC that doesn't do what you want liike everyone else. I hate to tell you this guy , but if you buy a machine and it doesn't do what you want, any price is too much. If you buy a machine and it does what you want, who cares what some other friggin idiot says. I paid 1500$ american for my 400 dvse, and it hasn't given me a day of trouble in 2 years. I'm happy, so why the hell should I listen to some fool talk about what i should and shouldn't have paid? For my needs it's perfect. The fact that it may not suit your needs is irrelevant to me, and so is your judgement.
  • Reply 37 of 116
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    When I was in college I thought Macs sucked too. It is Apple's marketing, IMO. They don't sell the power of a Mac OR advertise enough, especially in purchased TV commericals.

It was a roomate of mine that had a beige G3 that started to convince me. Then, I started working on an old quadra at school. At first I hated it. Then, I talked to few more folks and also used a free PowerBook Duo my wife got. I decided that I had enough of Windows and its Bullshit and started coming here in time for Pismo speculation. I bought one and am now totally hooked.
  • Reply 38 of 116
    dvddvd Posts: 45member
    macaddict:

i get the same thing from poeple. macs suck they got no good games, and they're slow. Can't really defend myself. Ha and yes they are part of the cs bandwagon people. but acually one guy who's like hella cool with everyone he's like aww they dont have cs for mac? and he's like that sucks. hehe .. oh wel. some pc users would want it for mac cause they want me to play. I tell them i whoop in tac ops (kinda) then they say , damn get cs
  • Reply 39 of 116
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    "If they actually go in an Apple Store then yeah it's the best way. But all the people I know that are PC users laugh at me when I tell them to go in an Apple Store just to see what it's like."

They say that, but if they ever stroll by one, I bet you a nickel they'll take a peek. it's not every day you get to pick up a PowerBook G4...at CompUSA they are placed in rather restrictive cages.

Every time I go to the Apple Store in Palo Alto, there are at least 50 customers in there.
  • Reply 40 of 116
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    The average computer user is pretty stupid (when it comes to computers). I know people with TiBooks who have a difficult time finding the things they download with IE.

One thing that makes a lot of Mac users stupid, in my opinion, is their annoyingly fanatic devotion. I'll give my opinion when asked for, but there are a plethora of fanboys out there who are more than willing to interrupt your conversation to proselytize the Mac's superiority.

Stupidity goes in multiple directions and, as is made evident by some of the attitudes displayed here, is most certainly cross-platform.