Adoption of OS X 10.9 Mavericks significantly outpaces 10.8 Mountain Lion

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    greybeard wrote: »
    Just read what real 'mavericks' "happy" users experience after "upgrading" from normally working OS X. Most of them regret it bitterly. That's it. It was enough for me even NOT to consider installing that shit on my Mac. 

    There is no even one reason to move from ML. There is no any new really usable features in comparison with Mountain Lion. I never risk everything just for curiosity.

    1) I have no idea what you're saying since is users are "happy" with Mavericks it shouldn't be a turn off to you.

    2) Most online reviews by users seem to be overwhelmingly negative, especially when it comes to big corporations. I neither make nor read reviews on MAS.

    3) You're heard plenty of positive comments about Mavericks and I've assumed you've read about the plethora of features but if those don't interest you that's perfectly fine, but I don't see why you're here seemingly spreading FUD.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Suddenly the moderator forgets that Mail in Mavericks is still a fucked up mess after three patches. Most uninstalled the free Mavericks OS and went back to ML. Even the moderator complained that iBooks did not work, but now he claims Mavericks is perfect. He might want to look up the word hypocrite.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hillstones wrote: »
    Suddenly the moderator forgets that Mail in Mavericks is still a fucked up mess after three patches. Most uninstalled the free Mavericks OS and went back to ML. Even the moderator complained that iBooks did not work, but now he claims Mavericks is perfect. He might want to look up the word hypocrite.

    1) Which moderator do you refer? I see none in this thread.

    2) What evidence do you have to support your claim that most people uninstalled Mavericks, especially in light of this article stating that it's outpacing ML?

    3) The Mail Gmail IMAP issue was a major issue that persisted far too long but I thought 10.9.2 resolved that for nearly everyone that didn't use one of the workarounds… but how would they know if most uninstalled Mavericks?
  • Reply 24 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member

    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

    Suddenly the moderator forgets that Mail in Mavericks is still a fucked up mess after three patches.

     

    Mail works perfectly fine. Because using a hacked together, nonstandard version of IMAP deserves compatibility issues. Screw Google. Apple has no obligation to “fix” anything.

     

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

    1) Which moderator do you refer? I see none in this thread.

     

    I have a lasting effect, it seems. It would probably be easier to fix things than to try to correct everyone who’s wrong.

  • Reply 25 of 36
    The conversation so far:
    Glitches!
    What glitches?
    I'm not gonna argue
    What glitches???
    Find out for yourself
    So FUD.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    hillstones wrote: »
    Suddenly the moderator forgets that Mail in Mavericks is still a fucked up mess after three patches. Most uninstalled the free Mavericks OS and went back to ML. Even the moderator complained that iBooks did not work, but now he claims Mavericks is perfect. He might want to look up the word hypocrite.

    You have a very good memory for someone's past posts, whose name you can't seem to recall.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

    You have a very good memory for someone's past posts, whose name you can't seem to recall.

     

    He does have a pretty good memory; when did I ever say iBooks didn’t work? Not saying I didn’t, just that I don’t remember ever saying it or there being a situation in which it could have been said. Again, par for the course for me, but it doesn’t seem like something that would have happened.

     

    Oh, I maintain that iBooks lacks metadata editing, which is completely inexcusable, but certainly not “did not work”. I love iBooks as an application.

  • Reply 28 of 36
    kennmsrkennmsr Posts: 96member
    Upgrading iOS doesn't cost anything while upgrading the Mac OS can cost between $500-$2500 as you have to pay to replace non compatible software and hardware. When you pay over $500 for a productivity app you want to maximize it's useful life so you don't upgrade with every OS iteration.
  • Reply 29 of 36

    I still need to get around to installing Mavericks on one Mac Mini and my MBP. I'm using it on my iMac and second Mini and I haven't had any issues with it.

     

    I'm gonna keep upgrading as long as my computers are eligible for the upgrades!

  • Reply 30 of 36
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,393member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    Mail works perfectly fine. Because using a hacked together, nonstandard version of IMAP deserves compatibility issues. Screw Google. Apple has no obligation to “fix” anything.


     

    Well, basically full ACK. However, I suppose for many non-techie Users they just see "My gmail doesn't work on my Mac" and they don't really care it is because of a non standard implementation of IMAP. They care about the end result and that "it just works".

     

    OT: I am wondering if the high level of things that "just work" made me more sensitive things when they don't. Like recently, when iCloud keychain synched my Exchange email account just fine - except for one machine. Account was there, but I kept receiving wrong password message. After trying different routes with no avail, I finally manually added the account. In the end, no big deal, but I'm already so used to tech taking care of things that when suddenly it doesn't work, it really strikes out.

  • Reply 31 of 36
    seronseron Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greybeard View Post



    Apple could pay me for using their glitchy rubbish called 'mavericks'. I am absolutely sure I'll wait for the next OS X version. My MacBook Pro still runs ML.

     

    I have similar feelings. In particular, dealbreakers for me are missing local sync in iTunes and worse multi-monitor support. The rest of the problems are irritations of various degrees. However, I'm even more dissatisfied with their MBP hardware line. I'm a developer and currently I have an upgradable, last of the line, 15" hi-res (non-retina) matte-display MBP. There's no way I'm going to get a new MBP as long as these features are not available, and the thought of having my MBP lost or broken scares me. With those features missing in the current line, I simply can not justify the price to myself.

     

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    1) I have no idea what you're saying since is users are "happy" with Mavericks it shouldn't be a turn off to you.



    2) Most online reviews by users seem to be overwhelmingly negative, especially when it comes to big corporations. I neither make nor read reviews on MAS.



    3) You're heard plenty of positive comments about Mavericks and I've assumed you've read about the plethora of features but if those don't interest you that's perfectly fine, but I don't see why you're here seemingly spreading FUD.

    Here are some concrete examples.

  • Reply 32 of 36
    greybeard wrote: »
    Just read what real 'mavericks' "happy" users experience after "upgrading" from normally working OS X. Most of them regret it bitterly. That's it. It was enough for me even NOT to consider installing that shit on my Mac. 

    There is no even one reason to move from ML. There is no any new really usable features in comparison with Mountain Lion. I never risk everything just for curiosity.

    Yeah, you're saying a sack of shit. You're not wanted here; go away.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    hillstones wrote: »
    Suddenly the moderator forgets that Mail in Mavericks is still a fucked up mess after three patches. Most uninstalled the free Mavericks OS and went back to ML. Even the moderator complained that iBooks did not work, but now he claims Mavericks is perfect. He might want to look up the word hypocrite.

    Mail is fine. Gmail is as fucked up as your post.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    kennmsr wrote: »
    Upgrading iOS doesn't cost anything while upgrading the Mac OS can cost between $500-$2500 as you have to pay to replace non compatible software and hardware. When you pay over $500 for a productivity app you want to maximize it's useful life so you don't upgrade with every OS iteration.

    Your cave is getting cold.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Your cave is getting cold.

    You notice how those posts never come with examples that can be verified.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seron View Post

     

    Here are some concrete examples.


    The 10.9.2 update fixed some of these problems, although some users still complain about QuickLook running slowly.

     

    Most major problems with Mavericks seem to steam from out-dated third party programs users had installed on Mountain Lion.  A lot users have found EtreCheck a great help in resolving these problems.

Sign In or Register to comment.