Japanese newspaper repeats persistent 'iPhone 6' rumors: 2 screen sizes, Sept. launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2014
Apple is readying two variants of the so-called iPhone 6 with significantly larger 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch displays for a September launch, according to a Thursday report from the Land of the Rising Sun.

iPhone Plus
Mockup of iPhone with 4.94-inch screen, created by Marco Arment.


In support of the effort, Apple component suppliers in the East Asian nation have already "apparently begun" manufacturing sensors and display parts, Japanese financial newspaper Nikkei said. That lines up with previous reports of a new dual-size strategy for the iPhone, though there is debate amongst analysts as to exactly what those sizes will be.

Many believe that the company will at least trial a handset with a display over 5 inches, but well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities disagrees. Kuo, who has repeatedly proven to be an accurate source of Apple moves in the past, instead argues that Apple will not exceed the 5 inch threshold due to their "unwavering" dedication to the idea of easy one-handed use.

That aside, Sharp, Japan Display, and LG are all expected have a hand in producing the iPhone 6's Retina display. Nikkei also believes that the screen will sport a "significantly higher" resolution than Apple's current 326 pixel-per-inch offering.

Other features rumored to be bound for the iPhone 6 are a new sapphire-coated display and an iPad mini-esque industrial design with a significantly reduced bezel. Upgrades to the device's camera could also be in the offing, with some suggesting that Apple may upgrade to a 10 megapixel f/1.8 shooter with interchangeable lenses.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 62
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,222member
    I hope Apple does not go all in for these gooney gigantanortisours phones.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,671member
    1) Does this 4.94" screen allow for a 5x7 icon layout? Or 4x7, keeping the width the same? And how many on a 5.5" screen? How wide will that FF be? Current apps simply upscale, and debs can create [I]iPhone6 optimised[/I] apps?

    2) f/1.8 will be a Godsent!

    Personally I think the phone is already too big; I liked the 3.5" screen model more. But ok, times change, but I sure hope they keep on selling the current FF alongside a larger phone. Otherwise I'm screwed: won't go for Android and it looks like WP8 is still a stillborn. Or is it?
  • Reply 3 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »
    1) Does this 4.94" screen allow for a 5x7 icon layout? Or 4x7, keeping the width the same? And how many on a 5.5" screen? How wide will that FF be? Current apps simply upscale, and debs can create iPhone6 optimised apps?

    The only reason to go with the 4.94" device is so you can keep the iPhone UI exactly the same but use the iPad Air display's 264 PPI, so it would be the same as it currently is, just bigger. I hope this isn't the solution they go for.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post



    Personally I think the phone is already too big; I liked the 3.5" screen model more. But ok, times change, but I sure hope they keep on selling the current FF alongside a larger phone. Otherwise I'm screwed: won't go for Android and it looks like WP8 is still a stillborn. Or is it?

    Hopefully one day they'll diversify their lines into iPhone Mini / Air / Pro-style devices. That way, they'll have a device that's attractive to almost everyone.

  • Reply 5 of 62
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,671member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The only reason to go with the 4.94" device is so you can keep the iPhone UI exactly the same but use the iPad Air display's 264 PPI, so it would be the same as it currently is, just bigger.

    Thank you, that's clad then.

    Does that mean we could see the return of the 17" MBP? Don't answer that...

    Edit: I don't think I like this autocorrupt, every now and then: clad = clear
  • Reply 6 of 62
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

    To be fair, they should picture the phones with a hand to give us an idea of the scale. One will notice how ridiculous a 5.5" phone looks like.



    Could it be that the screen sizes are meant for the iPod Touch instead? Unlike the iPhone you don't hold an iPod Touch next to your head … .

  • Reply 7 of 62
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,317member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post



    I hope Apple does not go all in for these gooney gigantanortisours phones.

     

    I don't care if they do, as long as they keep the current 4.5" as an option. Although, it's not Apple's style to have too many SKUs, not to mention they have 5S and 5C lines now. Will be interesting to see how they tackle this. Whatever they do, I'm sure they would have put a shitload of thought into it. 

  • Reply 8 of 62
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,671member
    mr o wrote: »
    Could it be that the screen sizes are meant for the iPod Touch instead? Unlike the iPhone you don't hold an iPod Touch next to your head … .

    Good point; every article assumes that this display they have seen or heard of is for the next iPhone, while it could be for anything. A 5.5" display could easily be for Samsung's next watch¡
  • Reply 9 of 62
    mr o wrote: »
    To be fair, they should picture the phones with a hand to give us an idea of the scale. One will notice how ridiculous a 5.5" phone looks like.


    Could it be that the screen sizes are meant for the iPod Touch instead? Unlike the iPhone you don't hold an iPod Touch next to your head … .

    Showing it next to a hand is not a good reference to size. Imagine if they used Kobe's hand then a 5.5 inch device will make since. If they use say a small womans hand then you have a giant phone. Referencing it to phones already available is the best way. Plus 5.5" done well is not too large and works well. Hate to say it but look at the note series its not to large of a phone for those who use it. And the keywords are those who use it.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    remereme Posts: 74member
    For sure they should offer both. Those of us that want a larger screen usually use some form of headset. I could really use the screen size for many applications. But certainly many others like them pocketable so I hope they use some of their BILLIONS of cash and develop two models.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    19831983 Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

     

     

    I don't care if they do, as long as they keep the current 4.5" as an option. Although, it's not Apple's style to have too many SKUs, not to mention they have 5S and 5C lines now. Will be interesting to see how they tackle this. Whatever they do, I'm sure they would have put a shitload of thought into it. 


    4.5" - Aye? The current option is 4".

  • Reply 12 of 62
    If this comes to pass, I shall miss being a fashion savvy iPhone user. Instead, I'll have to settle for looking like a Best Buy tech nerd. I'll have to get bigger nerd pockets. Maybe I'll have to learn to talk like a tech nerd: learn all those Intel/Qualcomm/nvidia codenames. Memorize the gigahertzes and chip specs. Start pretending to care about "open source" and Bitcoin. I hope Apple publishes a guide to looking like an Android user, so I'll fit right in with my giant two-handed iPhablet. :)
  • Reply 13 of 62
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

    Can't wait. 

  • Reply 14 of 62
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

     
    The only reason to go with the 4.94" device is so you can keep the iPhone UI exactly the same but use the iPad Air display's 264 PPI, so it would be the same as it currently is, just bigger. I hope this isn't the solution they go for.


    The iPhone 6G, geriatric model. Honestly though, I could use a little bit larger type sometimes. As long as a larger phone still fits easily in a front jeans pocket, I wouldn't mind it being a little larger, but only if the text is a little larger. I don't need more screen real estate if it is going to have the same 4 point type currently used in some areas of the interface.

  • Reply 15 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    The iPhone 6G, geriatric model. Honestly though, I could use a little bit larger type sometimes.  As long as a larger phone still fits easily in a front jeans pocket, I wouldn't mind it being a little larger, but only if the text is a little larger. I don't need more screen real estate if it is going to have the same 4 point type currently used in some areas of the interface.

    Apple has a nice system for increasing (and decreasing) the font sizes in iOS 7.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post



    Apple has a nice system for increasing (and decreasing) the font sizes in iOS 7.

    Doesn't work in my opinion. It really screws things up and doesn't affect many aspects of the GUI.

  • Reply 17 of 62
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

     

    Hopefully one day they'll diversify their lines into iPhone Mini / Air / Pro-style devices. That way, they'll have a device that's attractive to almost everyone.




    Just had to start using a Sammy S4 for work... liking the bigger screen size. Yes- do notice the one handed use is much more awkward.

    IMO-it is a conundrum- for phone use, music listening, pocket storage, sport carry  etc, definitely small is better; but for reading, watching, larger is better.

     

    iPhone 18s- 1"x 2"x 0.10" but now with a integrated fold-out 22inch double retina display!

  • Reply 18 of 62
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,799member

    About 5" was my ideal new iPhone so if I have a choice between 4.7" and 5.5" i will have to see them in person and hold them to decide. If I had to choose right now I think I would go for the 5.5" model simply because a larger display is just so addictive. It is funny switching between the iPad and 5s, you have a sort of display shock when you use both and go back to an iPhone. Everything looks so tiny especially when you use the same apps. Clash of clans looks absolutely tiny for example.  It would be very easy to get used to a 5.5" iPhone after using a 4" one that drives me bonkers at how small it is. 

  • Reply 19 of 62
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member



    To hell with the phone; they just better come out with "SOME  THING" by this spring / summer.

  • Reply 20 of 62
    Who gives 2 shits. It is what it is.

    Why go 4.7 or 5.5 if the width stays the same. UGLY it will BE.
Sign In or Register to comment.