TAM a indication of what could be?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 117
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I'mall for a TAM-style imac. It HAS to be an iMac, though. A consumer mactinosh. No Cube fiasco agsain with the overpriced underpowered unupgradable etc etc. It may ook pretty but it has to be completely functional.
  • Reply 22 of 117
    Pscates: Wow! Your version of the new IMac is outstanding. I would buy that bad boy in a heartbeat. More than that, I think your prediction is closer than any other one I have seen on the internet and it really does make a lot of sense.

Great work man, you really hit my buying bone.
  • Reply 23 of 117
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    fingers tapping... tap tap...

psst, pscates...

pscates...

PSCATES!!!

Let's see some more mock-ups. I realize some of us have work to do. Hell, so do I, but you don't see me being all 'productive,' do you? Now work, term-papers, exams, whatever be damned, get yourself to a computer and get cracking on my mock-ups. It's time to shirk your responsibilities like the rest of us.
  • Reply 24 of 117
    One of the things that you folks are forgetting about...

The 'subwoofer' module for TAM also contained some of the unit's components...

Like the power supply, and I believe (check, those who doubt) the CPU & main logic board!

Definately not an all-in-one configuration...
  • Reply 25 of 117
    of course Apple has managed to improve their packaging and components have gotten much smaller since TAM. The first iMac was powerbook guts stuck inside a cool case with a monitor stuck on top. There is no reason to think that they won't continue this trend with the new iMac. They could use a larger (size) harddisk and cd/cd-rw/dvd-r/whatever drive to save some money and maybe non powerbook ram slots (again to save money).

Apple dosen't want its consumer desktop competing with it's pro desktop, but there is nothing wrong with having a consumer desktop thats as fast as their pro portable.
  • Reply 26 of 117
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>You know what? Scratch the speakers. I think Apple should simply bundle those cool Harman/Kardon softball speakers with the iMac and ditch the built-in ones.

I know, I know...it goes against the whole "all-in-one" thing. But it's SPEAKERS. They're meant to be spread apart as much as possible for better separation, plus nice as the iMac's built-in ones are, they're still crappy built-in computer speakers.

If Apple's on this whole kick about digital music, then include some cool speakers that the user can sit on his or her desk to their liking and ditch the built-in tinny ones.

This still leaves the option of SoundSticks or even just an iSub for those who want something more.</strong><hr></blockquote>

DEFINITELY NOT. Speakers MUST be part of the system. Speakers seperate defeat the purpose of the all-in-one and will just be a pain in the ass for schools and many users. You want good sound? Apple has 3D spatializer. don't need the spacing you normally do.

I'll repeat, speakers must be built-in
  • Reply 27 of 117
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Can we get an absolute, definitive, carved-in-stone answer on what exactly was in that subwoofer thing?

Now I'M all curious and doubtful.

Matsu, I'm on it. But I'm doing it right. Relax...

• Reply 28 of 117
    Okay, applenut...speakers will remain. Anybody know anything about them to help me out?
  • Reply 29 of 117
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacJunkie:

<strong>One of the things that you folks are forgetting about...

The 'subwoofer' module for TAM also contained some of the unit's components...

Like the power supply, and I believe (check, those who doubt) the CPU & main logic board!

Definately not an all-in-one configuration...</strong><hr></blockquote>

are you being sarcastic?

the subwoofer was a subwoofer. nothing else. everything was behind the LCD.

BTW, the TAM can be upgraded to a G3/300 and it can run BeOS with a G3/300. The hard drive is swappable as well.
  • Reply 30 of 117
    [quote]Originally posted by Mike D:

<strong>

Apple dosen't want its consumer desktop competing with it's pro desktop, but there is nothing wrong with having a consumer desktop thats as fast as their pro portable.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thank god. Finally. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people post to various forums that the iMac is stalled because it can't be faster than the powerbook! Arrrg That is just stupid. All over the computer world you can find examples of entry level computers that match or slightly out-run high-end laptops. Likewise, you can find many midrange desktops that absolutely stomp all over high-end laptops. When you buy a laptop you pay (an often big) premium for portability. The iBook is an exception. Apple needs to do something about the iMac, as it stands there is no real reason to buy one over an iBook. If the Imac were faster than a PowerBook, so what? People that needed/wanted the fastest portable Mac would still buy a PowerBook.
  • Reply 31 of 117
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    I'm thinking about getting a TAM and putting a G4 upgrade and a iBook screen in it. Is the video card capeable of the 1024X768 that the IBook display has?
  • Reply 32 of 117
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>the subwoofer was a subwoofer. nothing else. everything was behind the LCD.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks, applenut. I figured you'd know.
  • Reply 33 of 117
    [quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:

<strong>I'm thinking about getting a TAM and putting a G4 upgrade and a iBook screen in it. Is the video card capeable of the 1024X768 that the IBook display has?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why don't you just wait four more weeks...you might save yourself a lot of work and trouble.

• Reply 34 of 117
    pscates

where are my mock-ups?

I want mock-ups. Besides, I think you have a pretty good shot at predicting the design. So come on man, let's see some more.
  • Reply 35 of 117
    Don't worry. I'm making a special Flower Power edition just for you.

• Reply 36 of 117
    Does anyone else get the feeling that the IMac will be something like this? Virtually every other mock up did it the other way, bulking up the enclosure - for some reason this just feels right and I feel it in my gut that this will be the way it is.
  • Reply 37 of 117
    moazammoazam Posts: 136member
    This design is great for the new iMac...specially if they make the front loading flat CD/DVD area see-thru, like the high-end Bose flat CD players.

-Moazam

PS&gt; My fear is...there will be no new iMac. Apple will discontinue selling the 15" LCD alone, and bundle it with a slightly updated G4 Cube, and call it the "iMac Bundle".
  • Reply 38 of 117
    Does anyone else get the feeling that the IMac will be something like this? Virtually every other mock up did it the other way, bulking up the enclosure - for some reason this just feels right and I feel it in my gut that this will be the way it is.
  • Reply 39 of 117
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Whoa.. that's cool. It'll be like a big iPod with a little half-circle support behind it. Groovy

P.S. Slot-loading is not half as cool as just sticking the cd on the little snappy-round-thing and being able to see it spinning like with the TAM!
  • Reply 40 of 117
    you couldn't see the cd spinning on the TAM. the front panel was solid black plastic.

I like the idea, 'scates. However, something tells me that it isn't minimalistic enough... the current easel-style displays seem to be the simplest, easiest to adjust, most fool-proof design ever. Dare I say that they are "elegant"?

I think we'll see a slightly squared off (less rounding and clear plastic) version of the current 15" Studio display with speakers in the legs. Bluetooth keyboard and mouse would be damn cool.

I remember that pscates did a mock-up based around the TiBook screen at the old AI... wondering if you could update that sucker with a normal 4:3 aspect ratio screen, and speakers not unlike the one currently in the front of the Quicksilver embedded in the legs?