TAM a indication of what could be?

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 117
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    So, is that a disc in your drive or are you happy to see me?

Nicely done, but I agree that it's a little too squared-off and "pro" looking. Also, I don't think Apple will use big, square speaker grilles.
  • Reply 102 of 117
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Yeah the proportions are pretty close. I was psyched out more by the speakers than the CD. I remember holding a jewel case up to my monitor to roughly eyeball it. It's the speakers more than anything, they're just a little too thick -- it makes the screen seem very small. I think they only need to be about a third their current thickness.

Something I think we hadn't really considered is the type of drive. You can't really get a standard desktop drive to pivot that way, unless you make the case even taller. Perhaps apple could take standard desktop drive mechanisms out of their 5.25 inch enclosures and mount them directly in the case, but it'd have to be a shallow drive. Or notebook drives, but they'll be even slower than the usual Apple spec drive.

Hmmm... I've got an old ACER Cd-rom ('98) drive apart near my desk, and the drive mechanism isn't that big, but the circuit board is crammed and huge. I suspect that most newer opticals are mostly empty space once you get the casing off. Kinda like the difference between my first VCR (which was crammed full of circuits and weighed a ton) and my new one which weighs next to nothing and has almost nothing except the heads, power supply, and a couple of chips in it. How big or small is a desktop drive, really, when you remove the standard casing?
  • Reply 103 of 117
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    You know those stereo things with cassette tapes and some CDs where you lightly push in the thing and it springs slowly back and opens?

What about something like that? Maybe you don't even have to push it (use the eject key on the keyboard or drag the disk to the trash, as usual).

But the "caddy" or whatever you call the thing you put the actual disk into, comes out toward you, as a unit, an inch or less, and you stick the disk into it that way? Maybe from the top so you alleviate any "right-handed vs. left-handed" issues.

Am I making any sense whatsoever?

• Reply 104 of 117
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Neat design, pscates, but it does look mechanically complicated. How durable would that be?
  • Reply 105 of 117
    How the hell would I know?

I just throw stuff out...it's up to people smarter than I'll ever be to figure out the mechanics and engineering.

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 106 of 117
    [quote] What did jobs hate about the TAM? Was it the design, the concept, the exeution? I think he might have hated it because even at that insane price it didn't offer the best performance, and it didn't make Apple any money. To jobs, it seems that an all-in-one ought to be a computer for anybody, which clearly didn't describe the TAM. But I know nothing, so if anyone has any quote by Steve on the TAM, post 'em. <hr></blockquote>

That's true, I don't know exactly what he didn't like about it, but based on the source it seemed that he didn't care for the design at all. But I dont' have a link, so I don't know for sure.
  • Reply 107 of 117
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

[QB]You know those stereo things with cassette tapes and some CDs where you lightly push in the thing and it springs slowly back and opens?

What about something like that? Maybe you don't even have to push it (use the eject key on the keyboard or drag the disk to the trash, as usual).

But the "caddy" or whatever you call the thing you put the actual disk into, comes out toward you, as a unit, an inch or less, and you stick the disk into it that way? Maybe from the top so you alleviate any "right-handed vs. left-handed" issues.

Am I making any sense whatsoever?<hr></blockquote>

Actually, you are making a lot of sense. If you watch my video, you'll see the exact same concept (although it is kinda hard to see). As the camera pans around, watch the front carefully. The CD tray pops or hinges forward/out and the CD slides out the top like in your picture.

And, yes, I knew that my design would never make it as an 'i' product; it is to pro-looking. I might try smoothing the edges and lightening the color later tonight to see what I can come up with.
  • Reply 108 of 117
    Starfleet, what do you use to create your stuff? Is it all in one application? The rendering AND the animation/fly-by?

I'm interested in knowing about it.
  • Reply 109 of 117
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>

That's true, I don't know exactly what he didn't like about it, but based on the source it seemed that he didn't care for the design at all. But I dont' have a link, so I don't know for sure.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Seeing as how it was Jonathan Ive's work I somehow doubt that was the reason. More likely he did not like what it stood for and it was the wrong product at the wrong time.
  • Reply 110 of 117
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>Starfleet, what do you use to create your stuff? Is it all in one application? The rendering AND the animation/fly-by?</strong><hr></blockquote>I use <a href="http://www.maxon.de"; target="_blank">Maxon's</a> <a href="http://www.maxoncomputer.com/product/xl.asp"; target="_blank">Cinema 4D XL 7.1</a> for all my 3d needs. It's OSX native and dual-processor threaded to boot!

C4D ROCKS. :cool:

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 111 of 117
    Cool. And I watched the movie again and saw the little door flip out. Very cool. That's what I'm getting at.

Yours opens up on a hinge at the bottom and my idea is the entire unit pooching about. But it's the same concept, essentially. I didn't notice the "door flip" before when I watched your movie earlier today.

Thanks for the 3D info...
  • Reply 112 of 117
    [quote]Originally posted by King Chung Huang:

<strong>

As an owner of six (6) TAMs , I personally vouch for the accuracy of the information above. :cool:

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Impressive! You would be the one to ask then. There was a promotional CD that dealers got that I believe had a Quicktime movie on it much like the promotional movies they make for all the product introductions these days. Do you remember if Jonathan Ive narrated it? I seem to recall hearing an English accent.
  • Reply 113 of 117
    For kicks, any way you could tweak the photo or animation to match what the few reports on this thing have predicted - first, make it look like an iMac: pinstripes or white front covered by a translucent and reflective material. Back could be Ti-style or even aluminum (actually, thinking iPod might not be a bad idea as it's the most recent example of Apple's hardware design direction). And get rid of the stand - this thing should be able to tilt...feet off the speakers maybe and add a leg in the rear center.

Speakers I am picturing more like soundsticks. Not necessarily bubble-y, but i bet you can see the speakers sans mesh.

If it weren't finals time I'd do this myself! Heh. In fact, I just might....hmmm..

S
  • Reply 114 of 117
    [quote]Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:

<strong>For kicks, any way you could tweak the photo or animation to match what the few reports on this thing have predicted...</strong>

[snip]<hr></blockquote>

I'm already two steps ahead of ya! I'm working on rounder, visible speakers and a different stand already. It's hard to tell (try looking at the endges in the larger image) but the main body and CD tray already have a clear plastic "shell" around them. I might need to increase the refraction a bit or add fresnel to make it more visible and look more Apple-ish.

Man I love working in 3D...
  • Reply 115 of 117
    Couple of short things as my guesses.

1. It will have feet of some type. The keyboard cable (if there is one, or after market) will be able to go under the machine rather than around it. Current iMac and monitors you can do this.

2. My only problem with a TAM design is all the plastic on the front. The more plastic you see on the front the smaller the screen will look. Something Apple isn't going to want. They have to have some depth for a stable stand anyway, why not use it to enclose the slot loading drive and ports? You still have hardly any profile from the side but as little as possible on the front to make a not-so-big screen not look any smaller.
  • Reply 116 of 117
    Thinking about the footprint of this thing, the speakers, to me, are more likely to go under the screen than on the sides, unless the optical drive is a top-load toaster-style like the Cube. Thinking about it logically - every other option eliminates the possibility of speakers off the side, not to mention that they widen the footprint. If speakers are there, a slot-load CD can't be, and if CD is in the center under the screen TAM-style, there will be a lot of dead space on either side of it. Speakers would fit perfectly there, I think.

I was doing a mockup last night, but trashed it realizing that I just don't have the time to do a really good one right now, but I'm picturing a clear front rather than plastic, and where it extends down from the monitor to the optical drive area you can see through to where the speakers are - the silver speakers themselves are flush with the translucent surface and the rest of a Pro Speaker-style case is in the clear encousure of the iMac's body. If that makes sense to anyone.

Also, assuming the optical drive is TAM-style, wouldn't it be easier and more stylish for Apple to do the Bang&Olufsen thing where doors open, you place your cd in, doors close and you watch it spin?

-S
  • Reply 117 of 117
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Starfleet. you ever finish your mock-up?