TechTV

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A promo commerical running on TechTV brings up OS X for intel, the iMac, the G5, plus a top secret "Home entertainment device"

Coverage starts at 12:00 eastern

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    WHAT!? NOT OS X FOR INTEL!
  • Reply 2 of 24
    david rdavid r Posts: 135member
    Why would TechTV, who for what I hear hardly gives Apple the time of day in their programming, be the only ones who know the contents of Steve's super secret keynote?

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: David R ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 24
    From this page:

<a href="http://www.techtv.com/news/computing/story/0,24195,3366723,00.html"; target="_blank">http://www.techtv.com/news/computing/story/0,24195,3366723,00.html</a>;

"And speaking of OS X: Will it run on an Intel-based server? That's another rumor -- one that industry experts say might be legitimate."

They are just talking rumors, like we are. And I think we all pretty much agreed that OS X for Intel may be Apple's kiss of death.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Apple will not allow OS X to be run on Intel hardware. Just really stupid business-wise.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    nav3nav3 Posts: 34member
    To tell you the truth, TechTV knows just about as much as we do. The most research they do is from Rumor sites. The other day their Tech Live was talking about how apple may show the new iWalk (showing spymac's page). I wouldnt listen to a word they say.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    WIth the jump to XP not going over so well, might people be encouraged to jump to OS X instead? Or, if you want an iPod, just install this new OS instead....

Personally, I still think that if Apple were to ever do it, it would still only run in their own hardware, just with an x86 compatible chip. Either that or only the server version would run on a severely crippled list of server hardware.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    or we get MacOS X running on intel hardware... but Apple's Intel (or AMD) hardware....

the OS won't install in a self-made PC..

PowerMac Athlon 2000 +

running MacOS X 10.2
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Maybe Apple could release a "Mac compatibility card" which a PPC chip, kind of like they have those PC cards for the Mac.

This would let people get a good taste of the Mac, use the software, etc, etc, they wouldn't be as fast as a real Mac and hopefully get those customers to buy a Mac as their next computer.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    In all fairness to TechTV, they provide the 95% of PC users the info they can use. On the show "Screen Savers" each night they also give a Mac tip from host Brent Larson usually. Both he and Leo Laporte are very Mac positive. They recently interviewed Woz . It isn't their fault that Apple only owns 5% of the market. They have showed the last few Keynote speeches too. So chill out, tune in on Monday and see what Apple has to offer.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    I believe it is Brent Larson who will be covering it this time. Who did it last time?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    They bring up a great point which I said 2 years ago.

Make OS X Server X86 compatible and license it to major server venders. It's a powerful alternative to Windows 2000 and there is no way Apple could ever make the servers themselves. It makes sense
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Jim Louderback covered the MWNY '01 keynote from the studio. They didn't send anyone to the expo. BTW, its Brett Larson.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Right, Brett. Brent is his evil Windoze twin brother. Louderback is no longer with TechTV (they let go alot of people about a month ago).
  • Reply 14 of 24
    idudeidude Posts: 352member
    [quote]Originally posted by DanMacMan:

<strong>Jim Louderback covered the MWNY '01 keynote from the studio. They didn't send anyone to the expo. BTW, its Brett Larson.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Larson was at MWNY 2001. They ran an entire freshgear from the expo, so Sumi Das was there also, but I SAW Brett Larson there.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jack Meggan:

<strong>or we get MacOS X running on intel hardware... but Apple's Intel (or AMD) hardware....

the OS won't install in a self-made PC..

PowerMac Athlon 2000 +

running MacOS X 10.2</strong><hr></blockquote>

I dont think this will happen. Apps would have to be recompiled and all of the "perks" that Apple has with the PPC would be gone. (IE no AltiVec) So any company that spent resouces coding for things like that would have wasted money and not be happy with Apple.

Also, would be on par with switching from 68k macs to PPC WHILE IN THE MIDDLE of the trasition to OSX. It would be a nightmare. Not to mention the fact that going from 68k to PPC is a baby step compared with going from PPC to x86.

-Paul
  • Reply 16 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by iDude:

<strong>Larson was at MWNY 2001. They ran an entire freshgear from the expo, so Sumi Das was there also, but I SAW Brett Larson there.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I meant live on air coverage as the keynote happened.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    idudeidude Posts: 352member
    Well, that'd be pretty hard for me to know, since I was there, not watching it on tv. I don't see why they think they need commentary anyways. Steve Jobs is commentary enough.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    [quote]I dont think this will happen. Apps would have to be recompiled and all of the "perks" that Apple has with the PPC would be gone. (IE no AltiVec) <hr></blockquote>

Altivec is utterly useless to most developers, and the performance increase that non-Apple hardware would provide would be immense. Recompiling is not nearly as difficult as you believe it is - OS X provides a ton of hardware abstraction. You sound as if it would be comparable to a total rewrite.

Apple hardware isn't suited for big servers. Intel/AMD hardware is.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: DoctorGonzo ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 24
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    [quote]Originally posted by apple.otaku:

<strong>I believe it is Brent Larson who will be covering it this time. Who did it last time?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thats Brett Larson, and the last guy was an @ss. I knew his name a few days ago in another thread, but I forgot it now.

Last thing. TechTV didn't say Jack about this stuff.

All they were talking about was all the rumor sites Apple Insider Was Not Mentioned, because they have posted nothing!, but SpyMac, MOSR, and a few others were mentioned, and all it was talking about was the rumors that have croped up on the web after the fact Apple's HYPE included the rumor sites.

The intel thing was from some guy ( a PC weanie), that also said there was another rumor that Apple would release an x86 version of OS X server. As I said that guy was reporting something from another rumor site.

Tech TV has claimed nothing.,

ONE THING I NOTICED when they brought up the SpyMac iWalk photos, and movies there was a partial photo of an Apple PDA looking device, but it was not the iWalk that SpyMac had shown us, but it did clearly say iWalk. Hmmmm... Another hoax, or.... Does TechLabs already have one to demo for us right after the keynote. Brett larson, and TechTV only know.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Doesn't matter, TechTV isn't showing the keynote until 9PM Monday night.