New iMac will make Apple lose education market

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Don't get me wrong. The new style is cool and the price isn't that bad for consumer

But the price is going to be disasterous to education market. Schools don't have buget to buy the new iMac. Those schools don't care about the form factor. All they care is price.

I am kind of shocked to see they even ditch out the old iMac.

If they keep on selling the CRT based iMac at $799 that would be great to schools. But actually Apple kills it all together.

I think this is a stupid mistake.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    They still sell the CRT ones (for the same price as before)
  • Reply 2 of 26
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I think CRT versions actually went down in price. But there is no 700 Mhz machine anymore, just the 500 and 600 Mhz machines.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Schools will still buy the CRT iMacs. Apple's fine.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I'm glad they kept the CRT model for schools, but couldn't the schools afford $1299? They did it with the original iMac.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    My school will buy these. In fact they don't buy CRTs anymore. Heck they got a bunch of Cubes. I'm at a university though.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>I'm glad they kept the CRT model for schools, but couldn't the schools afford $1299? They did it with the original iMac.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I know what you mean. But now the price of the PC is plumpletting.

If you are a non-computer savvy or "don't care the OS" person like those people work in school board. When you see a $700 computer and a $1299 computer. Which one you will go for? They will go to the cheaper one without second thought. Cause all they care is price

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 26
    spindlerspindler Posts: 713member
    If you go to the Apple store web site, the iMac still IS available. This scared me too when I heard "Today is the death of the CRT." It would be suicide for Apple to not sell a computer for less than $1199. But the old iMacs are still there and I don't see why they shouldn't sell them if people still like the design.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>

If you are a non-computer savvy or "don't care the OS" person like those people work in school board. When you see a $700 computer and a $1299 computer. Which one you will go for? They will go to the cheaper one without second thought. Cause all they care is price

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good point. I didn't think of that.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    eliahueliahu Posts: 71member
    Apple claims to want in on the 95% of the market they don't posess, but they don't seem to be doing anything to try and win it. With the new iMac their entry level system will run $1300. That's just WAY too much to win any converts. It's as if BMW said they were going after the other 95% of the automobile market, but they just kept cranking out $40K cars.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    <a href="http://www.apple.com/imac/g3"; target="_blank">www.apple.com/imac/g3</a>
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Suckful,

I said the low end WILL be $1300, I didn't say the low end IS $1300. Future tense instead of present tense. Do you think Apple intends to continue selling CRT iMacs? I have read many reports of low supplies. It would appear they are being phased out as the new iMacs are being phased in. By March when the low-end flat panel iMac is available I would suspect it will be near impossible to find a CRT iMac new. I think they would be smart to continue to sell the CRT iMac, but they'll need to up the spec a bit and I seriously doubt they'll do that.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Just because Jobs said "Folks, this looks like the death of the CRT" doesn't mean that Apple will stop selling the "old" iMac immediately.

Even if they DID stop selling them on the Apple store, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they had a "special" education model -- $700 or so, indigo, 15" CRT, G3 CPU -- that they continued to sell until the entry-level LCD iMac was below $1000 retail.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by eliahu:

<strong>Apple claims to want in on the 95% of the market they don't posess, but they don't seem to be doing anything to try and win it. With the new iMac their entry level system will run $1300. That's just WAY too much to win any converts.</strong><hr></blockquote>

How so? The best-selling iMac models have always been that price or higher. The old bottom-of-the-line iMac was basically just a tease. Apple hardly sold any of them. Now, after getting burned by cheap, low-quality hardware consumers are looking for something that will actually justify their investment.

The PC box makers are boasting about low prices because that's the only advantage they can boast, not because consumers care so much about price. People will pay more for a better product.

The hangups on price and CPU power are missing the big picture. I've read of Linux users ditching their handmade, fire-breathing Athlon towers for iBooks, because the pragmatic advantages of the iBook's design (no cords, quiet, pleasing design) blew away the towers' advantage in raw power. Among the non-technical people I know, most of them want a computer that does what they want it to do with no fuss. They'll buy one if it does.

The new iMac is delightfully pragmatic. The idea that I could plunk down $1800 and get a compact, powerful workstation that can handle everything from email to games to hacking perl to authoring DVDs - all right out of the box, with factory installed software - takes my breath away. And that's not even considering all the design touches, like that ingenious adjustable screen.

If Apple gets the word out, you can bet there will be conversions. They cost what most people have been willing to pay for iMacs: $1300 and up. And they offer a lot for that price.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    [quote] The best-selling iMac models have always been that price or higher. The old bottom-of-the-line iMac was basically just a tease.<hr></blockquote>

The 'tease' model is extremely important. Most consumer electronics manufacturers have a 'tease' model that gets folks in the door and allows a salesperson to upsell to a unit with a fatter margin.

The old iMac pricepoints ranged from $799 to $1299 (how much was SE?). Now they go from $1299 to $1899. That's a huge jump and I can't imagine it won't be a problem.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member

<strong>

The 'tease' model is extremely important. Most consumer electronics manufacturers have a 'tease' model that gets folks in the door and allows a salesperson to upsell to a unit with a fatter margin.

The old iMac pricepoints ranged from $799 to $1299 (how much was SE?). Now they go from $1299 to $1899. That's a huge jump and I can't imagine it won't be a problem.</strong><hr></blockquote>

A lot of place didn't even sell the low end because the profit on it was so small. A local mac reseller only sold the $1000+ where they could make some profit.

Apple is fine, they will sell more of these then they sold the original iMac and they still have the cheap one for schools.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Apple's going to be making these iMacs for quite some time, especially for the educational market.

Apple is STILL selling the G4/533 at the Educational Apple store, you know.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member

<strong>

The old iMac pricepoints ranged from $799 to $1299 (how much was SE?). Now they go from $1299 to $1899. That's a huge jump and I can't imagine it won't be a problem.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes but over time they will get lower and you need to look at what you get for the price. The iMac is great in the highend for sure. I expect by rev 2 the lowend will be about $1,000
  • Reply 17 of 26
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    I think that they won't be able to get as many volumes of the new iMac initially, but they'll still go for the same (or lower) priced CRT iMacs which are for sale. Also I know schools that buy G4s and cheap LCD monitors, then never open or even barely upgrade the tower besides RAM, and it just ends up taking up space. I think for a lot of schools the new iMac will make more sense if they want G4 power and the ability to burn CDs and DVDs. Plenty of schools opt for a plan of getting x amount of really good computers for journalism, math, science, and 3x amount of suboptimal computers for word processing, administration, net research, open labs, student email, teachers, etc etc. Apple currently has both, just as they did before... just more bang for less buck with the iMac.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    this iMac will never be found in a NYC Public School.

It wouldn't last, it's way too much money for their budget, and there is no apparant way to lock it down without drilling holes.

At least they kept the CRT imacs
  • Reply 20 of 26
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>this iMac will never be found in a NYC Public School.

It wouldn't last, it's way too much money for their budget, and there is no apparant way to lock it down without drilling holes.

At least they kept the CRT imacs</strong><hr></blockquote>

Have a closer look <a href="http://apple.com/imac/specs.html"; target="_blank">here</a>. All the way on the left of the ports, there is a hole for a lock.

But still, that blows. Glad I don't live in NYC.