Amazon takes on Apple TV with new $99 fireTV streaming & gaming set-top box

Comments

• Reply 141 of 193
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    This argument doesn't work here, since ATV is Apple's entry into the marketplace, and has been around for years, essentially unchanged, as a "hobby", while they have let others slowly eat away their marketshare. Unlike the iPod, iPhone and iPad, the ATV should operate invisibly. Currently it doesn't, and now Amazon has jumped well ahead of where Apple should have been with their product at this point. Perhaps Apple will do something revolutionary, but the reality is, these devices hold no tangible emotional attachment the way the previous iDevices do, and this will ultimately be about leverging infrastructure. Amazon is a good match for iTunes in the marketplace, and hardware is just a matter of fact. Both will have identical features because they have to. Apple's challenge now is putting together a better entertainment experience which has nothing to do with a piece of hardware.

So you're saying the Apple TV is the Newton and the Fire TV is an Archos tablet. I'll accept that. Now Apple has a cool decade before they need to figure out how to actually make the living room actually work… which FireTV doesn't. It's just a couple more bells and whistles that most likely won't care about, especially if it will cost them another $40 on top of the $99 FireTV box to get some mobile gaming options in their living room. I don't think Sony, MS and Nintendo have anything to worry about from Fire TV either.
  • Reply 142 of 193
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Could have sworn it was still growing.

The Six Stages of Apple Device Denial:
    1. "Apple will never be able to make a dent because the market is already saturated with better devices."
    2. "Apple fanatics are buying all the Apple's devices."
    3. "Apple is only good at marketing which is why idiots who don't understand technology are buying these inferior devices."
    4. "Apple is only successful because everyone else buys their devices."
    5. "Apple has lost its way because they aren't releasing new products like they did with (previous) devices."
    6. "Apple had all the marketshare when they created this device but now they are losing it to others with better devices."

(I'll refine and name the stages later)
  • Reply 143 of 193
    Didn't Roku try to say Apple was losing money on ATV (not that I believe that)? If that were true, well, Amazon would be losing bigtime on this device.

Another day another loss leader copycat device from Amazon. When is Amazon ever going to make money?
  • Reply 144 of 193
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

You're right: We've all been saying "gimme now"...for two years. 

speak for yourself please.   I would bet that If you got the exact product you dreamed of, you would be saying "gimme now" a few weeks later for something new that you think you want.

"its not about having what you want, its about wanting what you got".  

• Reply 145 of 193
    Apple could easily leapfrog over these also-rans by releasing the next ATV this Summer, while still adding gaming and other features.
    These gizmos tKe some time to design and build.

More media deals, and closing on whatever the Comcast and TWC deal is, will put Apple way out front.

To date, IMO the Roku and Fire are just copy-cats anyways.

Oh... And didn't Apple add Bluetooth keyboard feature to the ATV OS?.
  • Reply 146 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

1. "Apple will never be able to make a dent because the market is already saturated with better devices."

3. "Apple is only good at marketing which is why idiots who don't understand technology are buying these inferior devices."

5. "Apple has lost its way because they aren't releasing new products like they did with (previous) devices."

6. "Apple had all the marketshare when they created this device but now they are losing it to others with better devices."

Apple is doomed because it is losing market share to lower margin products made by "other". 

• Reply 147 of 193
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

I'm probably dreaming here, but how amazing would it be if the AppleTv were a full-on serious game console? Not just something to play casual iphone games, but straight-up xbox/playstation level stuff.

Or maybe I'm not dreaming. They didn't buy PrimesSense for nothing. 

• Reply 148 of 193
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Don't forget "Apple litigates and doesn't innovate"
  • Reply 149 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No SD card slot, no physical keyboard, no USB Port, no multitasking = no sale.

Apple thinks their customers are stupid AND dumb!  (saw this one on another forum)

NetBooks are red hot and Apple is missing the boat due to their greed and stupidity.

___ is going to be an iPod Killer

___ is going to be an iPhone Killer

Intel's Ultrabook design is going to be an MacBook Air Killer

Amazon's Fire is going to be an iPad Killer

Google $35 Chromecast is going to be an AppleTV killer. 

Amazon's FireTV is a game changer

Apple incremental product updates don't count.

• Reply 150 of 193
    Added 'refreshed' to your post. You obviously forgot. ;) 

While the point of this thread is people waiting for a refreshed product.
  • Reply 151 of 193
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    andysol wrote: »
    ?

I'm disappointed Apple didn't release something similar last year.  At the very latest, last month.  I'm also not concerned Apple will "chase" a competitor- I'm concerned Apple didn't beat them to the punch like they normally do.  Had Apple released a similar device last month, everyone would laugh at this box and it would be DOA.  Will it still be DOA- possibly, but it's hard to argue that its not the best box out there right now.  Outside of Airplay and iTunes access- it crushes the ATV in a multitude of ways.

Again, tell me why Apple couldn't have released an Apple TV with:
    A7- which they already have
    Voice Search- which they already have
    Gaming- which they already have controllers for
    App Store- which they could easily already have

That isn't "spec chasing"- sorry.

I'm holding out that Apple has some proprietary or specific reason why they were holding out. If its what I mentioned above- I'll be extremely happy, but I'll also say- what took so long?

I understand your point but they couldn't even make enough A7s for the iPhone which is their money maker. Now that they seem to have caught up, I wouldn't think the A7 out of the realm of possibility in a refresh/redesign.
  • Reply 152 of 193
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I'm not sure but I think the newest Broadcom H265 4K chips are still sampling. So perhaps Apple is the sampler and will be the first to market with them.

• Reply 153 of 193
    You're right: We've all been saying "gimme now"...for two years. 

I haven't. Anyone who would wait 2 years for an item you can get for 85 refurb for the current model (like I did a year and a half ago) is pathetic and deserves to be mocked.
  • Reply 154 of 193
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Apple can beat this just by creating a more robust ATV that runs the iOS well enough that the entire App store becomes its playground. I'd certainly pay a chunk of change for that.

I like that Amazon's unit plays games. They seem to be approaching tablets and TVs with aplomb. The unit looks nice and has some nifty features. Great price. Optional game controllers show their commitment. Sweet.

It will definitely nudge Apple. I think Amazon is going to sell a ton of these things. Bye, Roku.
  • Reply 155 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You'd be surprised to know how many CRT TVs are still out there. Somebody bought all those digital converter boxes the government was giving out vouchers for.

Do those CRT TVs actually have HDMI input?

• Reply 156 of 193
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Do those CRT TVs actually have HDMI input?

The highest quality inputs were component or S-Video. The lower priced Rokus have RCA and a HDMI outputs.
  • Reply 157 of 193
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    I think Amazon has reached a point where Apple needs to think about changing its game plan. It was all fine to sit on a high horse, charge the moon for your products when the competition sucked. But Amazon has finally reached a point where they can offer a legitimate competition to Apple on multiple fronts - hardware, cloud services, App Store, ecosystem, etc. At this point, one would probably say Amazon is at a level where for many people it makes no sense to go with Apple.

I would say Amazon is a much bigger threat to Apple than Google or Samsung is. I think a day will soon come when Amazon will offer Apple style quality and service, at Google style prices. At that point, Apple needs to be ready to change their plans quickly.
  • Reply 158 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macarena View Post

I think Amazon has reached a point where Apple needs to think about changing its game plan. 

Apple is one of the most profitable companies on earth. In contrast, Amazon is one of least profitable companies out there for it size. You think Apple needs to be more like Amazon?   I'm sorry, but how on earth did you reach this conclusion? Amazon's game plan is clear. Race to the bottom until you kill your competitor.  No thanks. Amazon can go fight it out with the likes of Google and other White Box vendors that make next to nothing per unit shipped.  The whole reason for Apple success is very much opposite of the way Amazon does things.

• Reply 159 of 193
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    macarena wrote: »
    I think Amazon has reached a point where Apple needs to think about changing its game plan. It was all fine to sit on a high horse, charge the moon for your products when the competition sucked. But Amazon has finally reached a point where they can offer a legitimate competition to Apple on multiple fronts - hardware, cloud services, App Store, ecosystem, etc. At this point, one would probably say Amazon is at a level where for many people it makes no sense to go with Apple.

I would say Amazon is a much bigger threat to Apple than Google or Samsung is. I think a day will soon come when Amazon will offer Apple style quality and service, at Google style prices. At that point, Apple needs to be ready to change their plans quickly.

Hahahaha. By then, Amazon investors will see past Bezo's con game and actually want the company to make money.

Besides Apple TV is $99.
  • Reply 160 of 193

I'm not interested in the games, and I already have a Chromecast and a Roku. For me, this doesn't add anything.