Video pits iPhone 5s Touch ID against Samsung's Galaxy S5 fingerprint scanner

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    chipsy wrote: »
    To be correct they actually already were on the 64bit train. Pretty much every major chip designer and manufacturer (Applied Micro, Nvidia which at that time already announced that they were working on a 64bit chip for smartphones with Project Denver, Marvell, Samsung, Qualcomm...)  licensed ARMv8 at the moment the license became available. Apple just finished earlier for which they deserve a lot of credit.

Finished earlier and with nobody knowing about it, complete with compatible OS, Apps and development tools.

Always remember Apple founded ARM along with Acorn.

If it wasn't for Apple, Applied Micro, Nvidia , Project Denver, Marvell, Samsung and Qualcomm would have nothing.
  • Reply 62 of 89
    cpsro wrote: »
    Don't let Apple's competitors dupe you into believing otherwise; the A7 is a fantastic development.

Something tells me those who cherry pick benchmarks to attack Apple aren't so much "duped" as willing participants in dismissing Apple.
  • Reply 63 of 89
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by thismarty View Post

Either I've got one seriously unusual set of thumbs or TouchID is a 99% marketing.

I see your confusion. Your post is 99% FUD; that’s what you’re mixing up here.

TouchID has worked on every iPhone 5S I’ve tried. That means display phones, in various stores (so various cleanliness of clientele), in various cities, and it’s right every time. 

• Reply 64 of 89
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Finished earlier and with nobody knowing about it, complete with compatible OS, Apps and development tools.

Always remember Apple founded ARM along with Acorn.

If it wasn't for Apple, Applied Micro, Nvidia , Project Denver, Marvell, Samsung and Qualcomm would have nothing.

Misread the message at first. Well I'm sure if ARM didn't become the main supplier of mobile architectures I'm sure that someone else would have picked up the slack. Also Apple's share in ARM was not that large to be honest. It apparently also sold of a lot of shares in 1999 (only keeping around 15% apparently)

• Reply 65 of 89
    chipsy wrote: »

Misread the message at first. Well I'm sure if ARM didn't become the main supplier of mobile architectures I'm sure that someone else would have picked up the slack.

Like brick sized Intel phones with cooling fans.
  • Reply 66 of 89
    jupiterone wrote: »
    Is that iPhone jailbroken? What is that gesture he uses to lock the iPhone? And how does he have 5 icons on the dock?

It looks like cydia is the fifth icon.

The big thing to notice is the iPhone's obviously better one handed operation.
  • Reply 67 of 89
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    I see your confusion. Your post is 99% FUD; that’s what you’re mixing up here.

TouchID has worked on every iPhone 5S I’ve tried. That means display phones, in various stores (so various cleanliness of clientele), in various cities, and it’s right every time. 
    Of the two iPhone 5S users I know of (myself included) TouchID failed.
    In my case it worked initially most of the time but failed almost all of the time after a few month.
    It failed most of the time from the start in the other case.
    After iOS7.1 TouchID works 100% for me and most of the time for the other iPhone 5S.
  • Reply 68 of 89

This looks like more of a gimmick than a utility. This is just a way to check the box on the long list of 'features' Samsung's flagship phone has. A fingerprint scanner of this quality would never had made it past the prototype stage at Apple. To be effective, a feature should consistently perform under typical everyday use. 

With my 5S, I'd guess that 95% of my daily unlocks are done with my fingerprint, almost always one-handed. I'll be curious to see how usable this feature will be on Android, as it seems that using a code will still be easier with one hand. Users will likely learn to go back to using a code after multiple failed unlock attempts with the fingerprint scanner. 

Finally, while many pundits claimed Apple's Touch ID was a gimmick, it works exceptionally well. The average user unlocks their phone 110 times day, that's 110 times you no longer have to type in a 4 digit passcode.  One-handed & instant access to your secure phone, apparently not easy to replicate. 

• Reply 69 of 89
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I wonder why Samsung didn't use Google for payment processing? Google is more than capable of that.

Is this the beginnings of Samsung trying to get away from Google and/or Android?

Even if Samsung sticks with Google... there's gonna be a lot of cooks stirring the pot.

You'll have Samsung supplying the hardware and TouchWiz... Google providing the OS and services... and PayPal handling payments.

That seems needlessly complicated.

I think that Google simply didn't want to have anything to do with their fingerprint scanning system. I doubt they've made as much research as Apple did on security. Even if they've been using fingerprint tech for a long time on other products they make, it's their first time on a connected device.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

Of the two iPhone 5S users I know of (myself included) TouchID failed.

In my case it worked initially most of the time but failed almost all of the time after a few month.

It failed most of the time from the start in the other case.

After iOS7.1 TouchID works 100% for me and most of the time for the other iPhone 5S.

Apparently anyone's experience is just what it is, anecdotal. TouchID seems to be working great for most people and really terrible for a very small minority. The update fixed most of the problems and I really wonder how. Was the analysis flawed? Did it really 'forget'? Some people may really have a peculiar fingerprint configuration or a particular skin type that doesn't work with TouchID. As usual, statistics would be a better way to asses if it works, but we'll never get those.

• Reply 70 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by togan View Post

7.1 cleared all the problems I had with my thumb. For some reason my fingers worked but my thumb was out of the question two days later. Faster and perfect reads now. Have you updated your 4th 5s :/

Same here.  Early on things would be good for a while then it was hit-or-miss.  However since iOS v7.1 my iPhone 5s recognizes my finger and thumb almost without fail now.  Much improved and very happy.

• Reply 71 of 89
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    thismarty wrote: »
    Either I've got one seriously unusual set of thumbs or TouchID is a 99% marketing.

I'm on my fourth iPhone 5S and I still can't get TouchID to recognize one of my thumbs for more than a day. Works great right after training, requires multiple attempts a few hours later, won't work no matter what the next day, if not earlier.

The only thing TouchID is good for IMHO is making Siri seem to suck less.

My Touch ID was working ok on iOS 7. I upgraded to 7.1 and it either wouldn't work or was almost impossible to use. After restoring to a fresh install of the ios and restarting the phone dozens of times I went to the Apple Store. As the "genius" was working with me I glanced over her shoulder and saw she was reading a bulletin to capture iPhone 5s that are presented with Touch ID failures after upgrading to 7.1. She replaced my phone and it works great. If you have an Apple Store nearby take it there. They will check to make sure the replacement is working before you leave.
  • Reply 72 of 89
    ws11ws11 Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Like brick sized Intel phones with cooling fans.

Meanwhile Intel's Merrifield smartphone (dual core) is the only Android smartphone to run a 64-bit kernel.

Small chassis paired with a 4 inch display, better battery life than Android flagships that are using larger batteries, and despite running Android (which is not as well optimized as iOS) it still manages to offer similar performance to the iPhone 5S.

• Reply 73 of 89
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    thismarty wrote: »

I'm on my fourth iPhone 5S and I still can't get TouchID to recognize one of my thumbs for more than a day. Works great right after training, requires multiple attempts a few hours later, won't work no matter what the next day, if not earlier.

The only thing TouchID is good for IMHO is making Siri seem to suck less.

If you're going to be doing this:

... you should at least wipe the ear wax off first before attempting an unlock... just sayin' :smokey:
  • Reply 74 of 89
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

What a horrendous implementation of a feature. I can't believe Samsung isn't embarrassed by this. Even after being given the template by the 5S 6 months ago, this is the best they could come up with? What utter incompetence, and contempt for users. You have to know this was tested internally, with shit results, yet they decided to release it anyway cause they couldn't really give 2 shits. Who cares whether it works well or not, or whether users actually keep using it? They got the bullet point in (at the expense of the customer), and with Samsung that's the only thing that has ever really mattered. The bullet point, with a middle-finger to useability.

I'd like to see one article from a mainstream site or the media that describes how horrible this feature is, but I know that won't happen. The fictional scenario that the 5S sensor could be "hacked" was plastered all over the fucking media several months ago- I guess cause that tied nicely with "Apple is doomed". Why not some stories on CNN/Forbes/NYT/etc discussing the (lack of) security of Samsung's solution, when the S5 will be the best selling Android phone? No, won't happen. 

• Reply 75 of 89
    my buddy's step-sister makes $64 an hour on the internet . She has been fired for five months but last month her income was $17714 just working on the internet for a few hours. visit............
    www.jobs39.com
  • Reply 76 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

Meanwhile Intel's Merrifield smartphone (dual core) is the only Android smartphone to run a 64-bit kernel.

Small chassis paired with a 4 inch display, better battery life than Android flagships that are using larger batteries, and despite running Android (which is not as well optimized as iOS) it still manages to offer similar performance to the iPhone 5S.

This is actually very interesting.

I had always thought that the reason that Android phones are gigantic is because the manufacturers simply cannot create a phone in Apple's size with the same performance/battery life/camera quality as the iPhone, so they have no choice but to make them huge.

Kudos to Intel.

• Reply 77 of 89
    citylifcitylif Posts: 1member
    Samsung's biometric unlocking has potential and due to its size, you are always going to use two hands anyway. i been using iPhone the last five years, lately, i am starting to be open for a change.
  • Reply 78 of 89
    ws11ws11 Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstarsboy View Post

I had always thought that the reason that Android phones are gigantic is because the manufacturers simply cannot create a phone in Apple's size with the same performance/battery life/camera quality as the iPhone, so they have no choice but to make them huge.

That's not always the case.

For example: Sony's Xperia Z1 Compact features a 4.3" display, high quality camera, high end performance and a battery life above the Galaxy S4 and slightly beneath the Galaxy Note III.  There is also the Xperia Z2 Compact on its way with additional improvements.

Z1 (5" display) on the left and the Z1 Compact on the right:

It's also waterproof:

• Reply 79 of 89
    "Meanwhile, Intel (insert chip codename) blah blah blah (insert cherry picked benchmarks) blah blah blah therefore intel wins."
  • Reply 80 of 89
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I was worried about that last picture until I saw a partial of the cup at the top.