Video pits iPhone 5s Touch ID against Samsung's Galaxy S5 fingerprint scanner

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    ws11ws11 Posts: 159member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Meanwhile, Intel (insert chip codename) blah blah blah (insert cherry picked benchmarks) blah blah blah therefore intel wins."

So you agree with hill60?  If ARM wasn't in the mobile space we would all have Intel powered phones the size of bricks that rely on fans for cooling?

• Reply 82 of 89
    I would love to have touch ID especially for purchases.
  • Reply 83 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

To be fair, the failed attempts in the video were deliberate in order to demonstrate that it only reads when you swipe directly down (but if you do it works quite well). But I have to say that Samsung should have just left off the fingerprint scanner for now (at least until the fingerprint scanner built into the display technology is ready) and should have just focused on finding alternative ways of unlocking phones. The implementation as it is now is not as it should be.

That's a fair point, but at the same time it proves my point. The Samsung needs a gesture so exact, that you need two hands and a perfect movement to get it to work every time, whereas the iPhone's Touch ID works every time from every angle in an easy, effortless way.

Also, the S5 scanner doesn't seem built into the display. It seems more like the display serves as a guide for you to start the movement through the scanner, a bit like starting right outside the screen on an iPhone to bring up the control panel. I also don't think it's not ready or that the S5 scanner is bad, since, as you say, it works quite well when you swipe directly down. The main problem I see is that it's terrible for a smartphone and for the average consumer as currently placed. It would be just fine under other applications and uses. 

The main reason why the current implementation doesn't work, imho, apart from needing such a perfect swipe, is that they tried to copy the iPhone implementation on the home button. Perhaps, it would have been better to place a small ditch of adequate length for one to slide the finger on, on the back of the phone under the camera. This way one could swipe one's index finger on it while holding the phone and using a single hand. It would maintain the current technology, but in a more useful, guided manner, usable with one hand and less prone to errors. On top of that it would be easy to find not just 'cause it's a groove on the back of the phone, but by starting at the camera bump. Something similar to that or some other, clever way to have it be easier, especially one handed. :)

Just pondering...

• Reply 84 of 89
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

Meanwhile Intel's Merrifield smartphone (dual core) is the only Android smartphone to run a 64-bit kernel.

Small chassis paired with a 4 inch display, better battery life than Android flagships that are using larger batteries, and despite running Android (which is not as well optimized as iOS) it still manages to offer similar performance to the iPhone 5S.

Would they have come up with this if ARM wasn't around?

Twenty-four years after Apple founded ARM with Acorn.

• Reply 85 of 89
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Numenorean View Post

That's a fair point, but at the same time it proves my point. The Samsung needs a gesture so exact, that you need two hands and a perfect movement to get it to work every time, whereas the iPhone's Touch ID works every time from every angle in an easy, effortless way.

Also, the S5 scanner doesn't seem built into the display. It seems more like the display serves as a guide for you to start the movement through the scanner, a bit like starting right outside the screen on an iPhone to bring up the control panel. I also don't think it's not ready or that the S5 scanner is bad, since, as you say, it works quite well when you swipe directly down. The main problem I see is that it's terrible for a smartphone and for the average consumer as currently placed. It would be just fine under other applications and uses. 

The main reason why the current implementation doesn't work, imho, apart from needing such a perfect swipe, is that they tried to copy the iPhone implementation on the home button. Perhaps, it would have been better to place a small ditch of adequate length for one to slide the finger on, on the back of the phone under the camera. This way one could swipe one's index finger on it while holding the phone and using a single hand. It would maintain the current technology, but in a more useful, guided manner, usable with one hand and less prone to errors. On top of that it would be easy to find not just 'cause it's a groove on the back of the phone, but by starting at the camera bump. Something similar to that or some other, clever way to have it be easier, especially one handed. :)

Just pondering...

In anyway I think we agree on the idea that Samsung made a mistake of integrating it now in this implementation. :)

P.s. I didn't say that it was built into to display, I said they should have waited until that technology is ready, and at that moment put that in instead ;)

• Reply 86 of 89
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Would they have come up with this if ARM wasn't around?

Twenty-four years after Apple founded ARM with Acorn.

Don't forget that Apple in the late '90s early 2000 lost interest in ARM and sold most of its shares (at the end of it all Apple had only about 15% left). So I wouldn't speak too loudly of Apple co-founding it with Acorn because from early on in the life of the company Apple pretty much didn't have much influence in it. ;) It also started because it wanted to further develop the Acorn RISC machine processor, the only reason Apple was interested in that was because it used it in its Newton. So the main tech that started ARM off was from Acorn. I'm think you are overestimating Apple's role in the growth of ARM.

• Reply 87 of 89
    Remember that the scanner must be sensitive to even the slightest change. That means if if fingers are not as or more dry than the initial setup, it may fail. Same goes for any slight wear on a finger tip. For example I have a knife that requires a switch to be actuated with a fair amount of pressure to open/close. If I immediately attempt to unlock my iPhone after doing so, it often fails on the first attempt.
  • Reply 88 of 89
    4th 5s? Sure.. that's the ticket.

Give Samsung a little better quality of BS for your share of the $14 Billion promotional budget.
  • Reply 89 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacepower View Post

It's not odd, it's just Samsung. They have copied this and other icons ( Photo app Sunflower ) for years. It's just too expensive and not worth the time and effort to sue Samsung over these things. The money Apple could get from Samsung wouldn't be worth the effort.

That way lies hell.