Carriers suggest a big-screen 'iPhone 6' could be a 'very special' success in China

Comments

• Reply 101 of 126
    tokyojimu wrote: »
    If Apple really cared about the Japanese market, they would have kept a smaller iMac available, as even the 21-incher is way too big for most Japanese desks.

People I know at Apple Japan have been complaining for years/decades that Cupertino never listens to them.

How big are Japanese d--ks?

(where '--' is 'es', of course ;))
  • Reply 102 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wonder how long this weird disconnect between display size and device size will last. As Just_Me's post (above) clearly shows he think the ideal size window is in relation to the display, and not the device itself. As we saw when Apple moved to the iPhone 5, despite the 4" display the device is a lower total volume and weights considerably less. This makes the older devices with 3.5" displays larger by comparison.

The only dimension the iPhone 5/5S is bigger is on the height, but since it still slides into a pocket with ease because they didn't make it extra thick or wide, which is something they would have had to do if they had attempted to make a device with a larger display before the technology allowed it.

I'm skeptical Apple can pull off another leap as well as it did from moving from the 4S to the 5 but I think the technology might finally allow them to minimize device bulk which could lead to volume and weight that is still inline with an earlier iPhone despite having a larger display.

In terms of size, there are two criteria that are important to me: not looking like a dick when holding the iPhone to the ear, and being easily pocketable. I trust Apple to design a future iPhone to those specs, whatever the size.

• Reply 103 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by danielchow View Post

the method for entering Chinese, Korean or Japanese characters is different than with roman characters. when you change the keyboard to using Chinese, Korean or Japanese, half of the screen on a pre-iphone 5 is taken up by the input area, so it seems to make sense that the Chinese, Korean and the Japanese desire a larger screen.

Good point. I've always thought that the principal reason large phones are desired in China is due to the language. on the other hand, isn't Japanese similar? And I thought that the Japanese liked small phones due to their small hands. Maybe I’ll never know, and enjoy my ignorance.

• Reply 104 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Surely storage is due for an update. Space on the larger screened device will be less limited internally.

I have a 64GB iPhone, and find I have plenty of free space. The iPad is another matter-my 64GB is pretty full, and I will get at least 128GB this year; more, if Apple offers it.

• Reply 105 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You were right in an earlier post. Apple works in 2 year cycles. At least they have since the iPhone 3. Unless the iPhone 6 introduces some radical new display technology never before seen on any other device, that will prove the technology was available earlier. Was it available in large enough quantity last year? Who knows..

Apple touted one handed use as as a paradigm that no longer seems very important to most people or indeed app developers. Take a look at most of the top paid or free apps. The majority work either far better in landscape and many do not even offer portrait as an option at all. The number of people using the current iPhone in landscape suggest one handed is no longer king. The first iPhone was a phone that also had a few cool apps. The current iPhone is a computer that also offer phone calls as a much less used feature. Once that shift happened one handed use was much less important. Smartphones are now much more about 2 thumbs than one hand. 

But just because Apple was late to the party doesn't mean they won't make an awesome big display iPhone. The criticism will last about as long as the jokes about the name "iPad" lasted many years ago which is to say not long at all. Apple doesn't need to explain or justify it at all since people will be too busy throwing money at them. There is a lot you can copy from other phones but display size isn't one of them. 

Such an idiotic post. One-handed use is very important. The reason most of the top apps are landscape is because they are games, as you know. I don't think I have a single app on the iPhone which isn't portrait, games excepted. I hate it when an iPad app is landscape-only, as portrait is much more comfortable to hold.

• Reply 106 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

This is exactly the point. In Asia big screens have wiped out a large part of the iPhone user base because people don't have the room in their 600sqft apartments for even a laptop. They have one big screen phone and that's it.

Whether people here are mature enough or not to accept it, Apple is selling phones that are too small for Asia.

Oh, please. I'm sure they have room for iPads.

• Reply 107 of 126
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Haven't people been saying that for 3+ years now? I guess it'll be true some day.

Are you just throwing me in the pile of "people been saying" as if to dismiss the importance of a larger screen iPhone in 2014?

Yes.  I've heard it many many times as well.  Last year, I thought/said it needs to come soon, but not necessarily in 2013.  And I wasn't at all disappointed that a larger screen iPhone did not come out in 2013.  I AM saying it this year.

What do you think insofar as launching a larger screen iPhone in 2014 and its related effects to sales growth and user base?  

• Reply 108 of 126
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    drewys808 wrote: »
    Are you just throwing me in the pile of "people been saying" as if to dismiss the importance of a larger screen iPhone in 2014?

Yes.  I've heard it many many times as well.  Last year, I thought/said it needs to come soon, but not necessarily in 2013.  And I wasn't at all disappointed that a larger screen iPhone did not come out in 2013.  <span style="font-size:16px;line-height:1.4em;">I AM saying it this year</span>
    <span style="font-size:16px;line-height:1.4em;">.</span>

What do you think insofar as launching a larger screen iPhone in 2014 and its related effects to sales growth and user base?  

No, I don't mean just the large screen has been over said but Apple NEEDS one or they're doomed meme is overdone.

Apple will release a larger screen when it's ready. I have no doubt about that. Hopefully they won't go down the Phablet path.
  • Reply 109 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

No, I don't mean just the large screen has been over said but Apple NEEDS one or they're doomed meme is overdone.

Apple will release a larger screen when it's ready. I have no doubt about that. Hopefully they won't go down the Phablet path.

I agree to the overdone doom/gloom/FUD.  But if you go back to any of my posts, you'll see that I'm about none of that.  A 4.9" is nowhere near phablet and it's where I think Apple should go this year or it WILL HURT (not doom, but it will hurt).

• Reply 110 of 126
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mensmovement View Post

Being seriously myopic here. If you deny that there is a market for bigger phones, then why not apply the same to tablets and PCs? Should Apple end the I-Pad line and only sell I-Pad minis? Should their PCs have no screen sizes larger than 13 inches because anyone who wants something bigger can just mirror their screens on an HDTV? Of course not. It is just another option available for people who want it.

It is not just the bigger screen but the implementation? My point exactly. Apple should come out with a real phablet, a legitimate hybrid or tweener device, instead of just a bigger phone that is called a phablet. 

And it isn't about shutting up the Android people. Like it or not, there are people who actually LIKE the Android OS. Android has its fans. Big deal. But there is nothing keeping Apple from making a phablet for A) Apple fans who want one and B) people who want a phablet and don't care who makes it. The goal here is not just to get Android users to switch. Get it into your thinking: Apple is never going to crush Android, not through lawsuits or any other means. Some people - lots of people - legitimately like Android just as they legitimately liked Wintel in the 1990s and 2000s. And people who can't or don't want to pay Apple's prices will always choose an Android device over not having one at all. Instead, the goal is to offer an Apple phablet for people who wants phablets. Samsung has proven that a large, lucrative phablet market exists so why not make money servicing that market? This is not the same as wearables, a product looking for a market. This is something for which a proven market already exists, and moreover is just a version of what Apple already makes a mint off. The only reason not to do it is because Samsung did it first. Big deal. Other companies had MP3 players, tablets, smart phones and PCs first too. Apple just came along later and made theirs better.

I'm not being Myopic, I'm just being real. I never denied that there is a market for larger phones, what I said was that it won't make a difference to their bottom line. I'm also not against large screens in general – like you are making it seem like I am, there just has to be a better reason than just a spec for something going in your pocket. What I am saying is that I think – even if Apple does it – It's not going to increase sales for iPhone in general. It most definitely will increase sales to those who want big screens but without something more (think Thumbprint scanner in relation to iTunes purchases) all we are getting is a bigger screen. People like me who don't need that same phone but with a bigger screen just won't update or if an option is provided (two sizes like how the 5s and 5c were sold together) I'm sure that except for those waiting for a big screen, most will skip it. Then it will turn out to be just like the 5c, scaling back after the fact. Every noisy commenter online wanted a cheaper version. They got it and no one bought it. Again, if the screen is tied to a new feature, service – something we just don't know about yet that needs more surface (again, like tactile feedback or something) – I will gladly eat my words. Just because the screen is bigger, to me, is nothing more than a spec that if people want already exists. Apple is not the type of company that makes everything under the sun. The don't make fridges or lightbulbs. The don't fill every need every customer has. They make what they feel is the best general product for everyone and then tie in services that reenforce that. I have never heard anyone in real life (not online) say I wish Apple made a phablet. To me, that comment is like saying "the goal is to offer an Apple stylus for people who wants stylus'". Has the odd person said that? Sure. Enough to justify R&D + Manufacturing costs + marketing and shelf space? No.

?And as for your comments on Android, I'm not looking for Apple to overtake them, that's silly. My comment about android users was to highlight that they would not switch regardless of what spec we add as they just don't like Apple. Cheep isn't the issue as people are still getting 4s' and 5's cheap or free on contract. Personally, I'd rather Apple not aim for everyone but rather do what they know/like/see promise in as they have been doing and they will stay relevant.

• Reply 111 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by websnap View Post

I never denied that there is a market for larger phones, what I said was that it won't make a difference to their bottom line. 

Unless there is an iWatch (which I doubt) this year or some other important product launch, it WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO BOTTOM LINE without a larger iPhone.   Not the end of Apple's world, but it will hurt.

Maybe someone can help with the maths/statistics here, but anecdotally, 80% of all current large screen (anywhere from 4.7" to 5.5") consumers would seriously consider switching to a 4.9" iPhone (if offered).  And the number of 40+ year olds with presbyopia increases...along with it, increasing desire for an "optimal" larger screen (4.9"?).

I agree with you that a 4.9" iPhone will have a differentiating characteristic, but don't expect anything mind blowing...increased storage, camera, and some other feature that the 40+ desire?

Apple will not offer a plethora of options...probably just a 4" and a 4.9".  Can't we stop arguing and just all be happy with that (for now)? :-)

• Reply 112 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Unless there is an iWatch (which I doubt) this year or some other important product launch, it WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO BOTTOM LINE without a larger iPhone.   Not the end of Apple's world, but it will hurt.

Maybe someone can help with the maths/statistics here, but anecdotally, 80% of all current large screen (anywhere from 4.7" to 5.5") consumers would seriously consider switching to a 4.9" iPhone (if offered).  And the number of 40+ year olds with presbyopia increases...along with it, increasing desire for an "optimal" larger screen (4.9"?).

I agree with you that a 4.9" iPhone will have a differentiating characteristic, but don't expect anything mind blowing...increased storage, camera, and some other feature that the 40+ desire?

Apple will not offer a plethora of options...probably just a 4" and a 4.9".  Can't we stop arguing and just all be happy with that (for now)? :-)

You are right – it's anecdotal, just like this is. Those who want an iPhone can get an iPhone. I know people who have switched from a larger phone to an iPhone and after their initial screen-size discrepancy are generally glad the brick is gone. As far as the 40+ are concerned, so what? You think the people calling the shots at apple are in their 20s? No. Screen size doesn't matter in that instance either. I can not get my mom to stop using he flip-feature phone. Her eyes are terrible and she would rather have her phone than even my 4" 5s. Do they make books bigger? No, they correct the layout to help, that is good, feature rich design. Not specs. You start down that road no one will be happy unless every market segment is covered. Your 7" phablets down to 3.5" screens. Apple is not going to match every single one of those without a good reason and broad-but-yet-niche market coverage of all possible screen specs is not a good reason. If there is a good reason for 4.9" besides "look, we have big phones too" then I'm in. If not, then to me, it's just like adding a mini-HDMI port. Some may like it, even love it, but it doesn't add anything to the experience other than adding legitimacy to a "spec war" for a marginal amount of users, causes further fragmentation in their line up for customers AND developers.

• Reply 113 of 126
    Quote:

You are right – it's anecdotal, just like this is. Those who want an iPhone can get an iPhone. I know people who have switched from a larger phone to an iPhone and after their initial screen-size discrepancy are generally glad the brick is gone. As far as the 40+ are concerned, so what? You think the people calling the shots at apple are in their 20s? No. Screen size doesn't matter in that instance either. I can not get my mom to stop using he flip-feature phone. Her eyes are terrible and she would rather have her phone than even my 4" 5s. Do they make books bigger? No, they correct the layout to help, that is good, feature rich design. Not specs. You start down that road no one will be happy unless every market segment is covered. Your 7" phablets down to 3.5" screens. Apple is not going to match every single one of those without a good reason and broad-but-yet-niche market coverage of all possible screen specs is not a good reason. If there is a good reason for 4.9" besides "look, we have big phones too" then I'm in. If not, then to me, it's just like adding a mini-HDMI port. Some may like it, even love it, but it doesn't add anything to the experience other than adding legitimacy to a "spec war" for a marginal amount of users, causes further fragmentation in their line up for customers AND developers.

Your points are convoluted and without logic.  As I sad, it has nothing to do with "look, we have big phones".  If you think screen size has nothing to do with the ability to zoom in and see more, then logic and reality escapes you.  Very simply, people are doing more with their phones and MANY ARE REALIZING that additional screen real estate IS VALUABLE.  Get it thru your thick skull.  Now, don't get me wrong, computing devices are evolving and it's possible that smaller/more mobile devices will also be of value (to the masses, like voice activated watches, glasses, etc.) in 2-3 yrs.

• Reply 114 of 126
    Quote:

Your points are convoluted and without logic.  As I sad, it has nothing to do with "look, we have big phones".  If you think screen size has nothing to do with the ability to zoom in and see more, then logic and reality escapes you.  Very simply, people are doing more with their phones and MANY ARE REALIZING that additional screen real estate IS VALUABLE.  Get it thru your thick skull.  Now, don't get me wrong, computing devices are evolving and it's possible that smaller/more mobile devices will also be of value (to the masses, like voice activated watches, glasses, etc.) in 2-3 yrs.

Dude, I just got back from starbucks witnessing a person watching a video on a massive galaxy note phablet – then her pocket rung and she answered a smaller phone from her pocket. People who don't care about a big phone will get it cause it's new and after the novelty wares off – the cumbersome truth of a big-ass phone is what they will be left with. It's my opinion – and everyone has a different one. My skull is not thick, but in my circles I am the go to person to bother about these things since I used to work at apple and I am speaking from my experiences – which are many. You don't have to agree with me if you don't want to – I won't insult you in return for not agreeing – i'd be nice if you did the same. I speak as a consumer, designer, developer and former Apple employee – but you are free to have your own opinions. 

• Reply 115 of 126
    Quote:

Dude, I just got back from starbucks witnessing a person watching a video on a massive galaxy note phablet – then her pocket rung and she answered a smaller phone from her pocket. 

Not sure why you continue to confuse the discussion, i.e. what does witnessing A PERSON watching a galaxy note then answering a smaller phone have anything to do with anything?

I apologize if I came across as insulting, but you are insulting me if you make an opinion contradicting mine and then you don't address your own statements, like this one:

Quote:

As far as the 40+ are concerned, so what? You think the people calling the shots at apple are in their 20s? No. 

What do you mean, "so what"?  I made an opinion stressing some significance to the 40-somethings and you respond with "so what".  How is that NOT insulting?

You act as if just because people calling the shots at Apple are older, that all their business decisions are made empathetically to older people.  Again, your logic is misguided.

Quote:

Do they make books bigger? No, they correct the layout to help,

If the book was on a 4" screen, then YES most would want to make the book bigger...like at least to a 4.9" screen.

:-)

You're 100% free to have your own opinion, but when someone makes a comment that directly dismisses mine, I'd appreciate it if that person owns up to their statement and sticks relevantly to the topic.  Again, I apologize if I insulted you...it's not my objective.

• Reply 116 of 126
    Quote:

Not sure why you continue to confuse the discussion, i.e. what does witnessing A PERSON watching a galaxy note then answering a smaller phone have anything to do with anything?

It's not just one person ever, it was one person I saw in this the 15 minutes I left my desk. I had I stayed out longer I may have seen many more. It has everything to do with it because A phablet is a fad, like tiny phones in the 90's. Initially I can see the attraction who doesn't like more viewing space – you then quickly realize this brick needs to be carried with you all the time... this thing that doesn't fit into pockets and makes you look like you are talking into a book. That stuff is what tablets are for... Mini's, mini Tab's, whatever. they work just great. Not all things need to be combined.

Quote:

I apologize if I came across as insulting, but you are insulting me if you make an opinion contradicting mine and then you don't address your own statements, like this one:

What do you mean, "so what"?  I made an opinion stressing some significance to the 40-somethings and you respond with "so what".  How is that NOT insulting?

That's cool – keep in mind you are also a person who is contradicting my opinion... it's a two way street for respect. All water under the bridge. As far as the "so what" comment, this is what I mean. The issues with being able to se on the current screen is easily corrected within the Accessibility – Font size, contrast, zoom, button shapes, inverted colours and many others... depending on what particular thing a person may have. The people making decisions are 40+ and use the devices. Do you think Steve or Tim or Doug would have just said "I can't really see this email or read this button, but hey – it's not designed for me". No, I don't think so. I also mentioned how my Mother, who is 58, doesn't want a bigger screen and even thinks my 5s was too large saying "I don't want to have to carry that thing around". It wasn't insulting because I didn't insult you. I responded, you just didn't like my responses. That's fine.

Quote:

You act as if just because people calling the shots at Apple are older, that all their business decisions are made empathetically to older people.  Again, your logic is misguided.

And you are speaking like Apple only designs for youth when they actually design for the widest gamut of customers. They make items for the general audience, not every niche there is. Steve was not a young man and would not tolerate not being able to use their flagship device so that it only works with young people with good eyes.

Quote:

If the book was on a 4" screen, then YES most would want to make the book bigger...like at least to a 4.9" screen.

:-)

No, they make the font bigger and increase the leading. No books are 4", true but they are also not back-lit, animated, interactive and full colour.

Quote:

You're 100% free to have your own opinion, but when someone makes a comment that directly dismisses mine, I'd appreciate it if that person owns up to their statement and sticks relevantly to the topic.  Again, I apologize if I insulted you...it's not my objective.

I believe that I did, but I also believe you don't want to hear what I'm saying because you want a larger phone. And that would be fine if there weren't other factors involved for apple to create a device like that; like fragmentation in screen size from a developer's standpoint to just name one. This is all hypothetical anyway as neither of us has sway with the company but my personal opinion is that if they are going to upheave the ecosystem from a screen size standpoint, there better be a better reason than just "some people like larger screens". Some people like NFC, but they aren't adopting it just for the speck, they have a better long term solution on deck. If that is the case for having a larger screen (having it tied to another solution), as I have said before I'm willing to hear it and eat my words. Guess we will see at WWDC.

• Reply 117 of 126

You can go on and on standing on your soapbox about the spec race on some other post as I have NEVER HAD AN ISSUE/CONFLICT with that.  But this is an issue:

Quote:

I believe that I did, but I also believe you don't want to hear what I'm saying because you want a larger phone. 

It has NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT I WANT.  It has everything to do with consumer demand.  Not me, not you, and definitely not your one person at Starbucks pulling out a small phone while looking at a phablet.

Quote:

as I have said before I'm willing to hear it and eat my words. Guess we will see at WWDC.

A 4.9" (or 4.7") phone is NOT a niche as you are proclaiming.  You will eat your words.

• Reply 118 of 126
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

A 4.9" (or 4.7") phone is NOT a niche as you are proclaiming.  You will eat your words.

Talk about delusion.

• Reply 119 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Talk about delusion.

Hey....aren't you the same guy who said the same thing about the iPad Mini?!?!

No need to answer.

• Reply 120 of 126
    Quote:

It has NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT I WANT.  It has everything to do with consumer demand.  Not me, not you, and definitely not your one person at Starbucks pulling out a small phone while looking at a phablet.

If not for me, you or a random person at Starbuck, then who is a new iPhone for? For analysts? For future Android converts? 

I am a customer and I don't demand it at all. I have mentioned many customers ( both specific and general) who don't but they apparently don't matter at all either because this is what you want, or you wouldn't be so adamant to convince an anonymous person on the internet who couldn't make it happen anyway even if I agreed with you. If they make it, it will be because people made noise on the internet – again – just like the "low-budget" phone that was going to be the thing that changes everything for iPhone (re: that doesn't sell). But hey, you like what you like – don't all-caps-me, bro!

Quote:

It is but it doesn't matter as you find that niche appealing, so there you are – it's where your head is at. If it weren't a niche, why does apple sell so many phones with screens everyone hates if they currently exists on the market through other makers?

I may but who cares, you seem to take this real personal. 

Quote:

...but you are insulting me if you make an opinion contradicting mine and then you don't address your own statements...

Ironic, when I didn't – you just feel that way because I wasn't agreeing with you, but then you say...

Quote:

You can go on and on standing on your soapbox about the spec race on some other post as I have NEVER HAD AN ISSUE/CONFLICT with that.

I... I don't even know what that means... issue conflict with what, spec race?