Email from Steve Jobs reveals Apple TV 'magic wand,' other future product ideas

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
An email Apple cofounder Steve Jobs sent to his top executives outlines the vision he had for the company in 2010, including future iPhone iterations, "Apple TV 2" and changes to MobileMe that hoped would leapfrog Google's cloud services.

iPad 2 3

The correspondence, submitted as evidence in the second California Apple v. Samsung patent trial, is bullet list of topics for Apple's Top 100, an annual meeting at which high-ranking employees gather to steer the company for the coming year. While just ideas and short notes, the email offers a rare glimpse into how Apple operates and, more importantly for Samsung, how it viewed competition.

As noted by The Verge, the Jobs email includes mention of a "
Holy War" with Google. According to Jobs, this topic was the primary reason for the 2010 Top 100 meeting.

Even in 2010, Jobs was taking about the "Post PC era" and Apple being the first to get there with the iPad. He recognized the power of a tablet and a decentralized cloud-based ecosystem. Taking this idea a step further, Jobs noted that the "PC [was] now just another client alongside iPhone, iPad, iPod touch."

Everything was moving to the cloud, but Apple was behind after being caught in an "innovator's dilemma" regarding the Digital Hub concept, which put the PC at the center of a user's device universe. Microsoft and Google had a leg up in cloud technology, something that needed to be remedied.

Alongside the cloud initiatives, Jobs took special note of Apple TV, saying it needed to be a "must have" accessory for iOS devices. Once again, Apple sought to incorporate the set-top box into its iOS ecosystem, including expanded content, TV subscriptions and more. Mention was made of apps, a browser (presumably a Web browser) and a "magic wand," the latter of which may refer to this device, first uncovered by AppleInsider in 2009.

The full email is embedded below.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Great, Apple, just great. Now this email is going to be plastered all over the internet. I'm really beginning to think this lawsuit will end up hurting and embarrassing Apple more than any of their competitors. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 2 of 112
    And there's a reference to a cheaper iPhone straight, isn't there?
  • Reply 3 of 112
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Roku CEO: Apple TV is essentially an accessory for the iPad.

SJ: Apple TV is a "must have" accessory for iOS devices

Guess the Roku CEO wasn't wrong all along. Time for some crow eating.
  • Reply 4 of 112
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Wow, he was really across the details. And to those who think Apple doesn't care about specs, well they might not market that way, but he was interested in keeping up at least.
  • Reply 5 of 112
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Wow- what fun to read. I'm dying to know what "confidiential" is!

Liked "add content: NBC, Viacom, HBO. Subscriptions". They were thinking it then, likely just couldn't get it done. Doh.
  • Reply 6 of 112
    This is not the commandments...don't take this as god's word
  • Reply 7 of 112
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Great, Apple, just great. Now this email is going to be plastered all over the internet. I'm really beginning to think this lawsuit will end up hurting and embarrassing Apple more than any of their competitors. image

What's in the memo to be embarrassed about? What I'm impressed about is how much of Apple's 2010 strategy contained in the email grew to fruition in the years following. It's the mark of the industry leader. Plans of the industry also-rans aren't so durable. They are often upset by the actions of the leader.

• Reply 8 of 112
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Great, Apple, just great. Now this email is going to be plastered all over the internet.

Plus to the sarcasm on this.

I'm really beginning to think this lawsuit will end up hurting and embarrassing Apple more than any of their competitors. image

But not to this. Because their competitors will literally be creating IR sensor wands for their TVs, shoehorning Wii camera sensors into them to capture the input, and making abject fools of themselves. It’s going to be great.

• Reply 9 of 112
    But not to this. Because their competitors will literally be creating IR sensor wands for their TVs, shoehorning Wii camera sensors into them to capture the input, and making abject fools of themselves. It’s going to be great.

It already exists.

• Reply 10 of 112
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

But is it losing money? Doubtful.

You have sources at Sammy?
  • Reply 11 of 112
    So you think it's just fine that the whole world knows stuff like this:

5. iOS - Scott, Joz

Strategy: catch up to Android where we are behind (notifications, tethering, speech, ...) and
    leapfrog them (Siri, ...)

I'm sure Google is getting a good chuckle over that one. And what exactly has Siri leapfrogged? Certainly not Google Now.
  • Reply 12 of 112
    jungmark wrote: »
    But is it losing money? Doubtful.

I never believed that for a second.

Edit: What's with my posts showing up twice?
  • Reply 13 of 112
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Wow, he was really across the details. And to those who think Apple doesn't care about specs, well they might not market that way, but he was interested in keeping up at least.

You still don't get it! Since Steve came back It never has been and hopefully never will be about the specs. It has been all about improving the performance and the end user experience which are not necessarily tied to hardware specs.

• Reply 14 of 112
    kennmsrkennmsr Posts: 100member
    I wonder If this says "Confidential - Attorneys Eyes Only", why I'm able to read it today? It looks as if it still had roadmap data that could still be used by competitors. It's nice to read and see where Apple plan to be in the future but this is a trial on infringement. IMO some of the future looking line items should have been redacted!,
  • Reply 15 of 112
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Most of it looks pretty standard but a few things that stood out to me were the following:

- create low cost iPhone based on iPod Touch to replace 3GS

They mentioned this in 2010 but perhaps they felt it was best to wait until a more appropriate time. Now that the iPod Touch sales have dropped so much, maybe that photo shown recently of the silver shell with the splits in it and marked as iPhone but shaped like the iPod Touch is finally it. $399 off-contract.

- tie products together to further lock customers into our ecosystem

This has been evident but now it's clearer that it's one of Apple's motivations.

- catch up to Android (notifications, tethering, speech ... )

There's confirmation about Apple copying Android notifications. It was pretty obvious at the time but also minor relative to the copying that went the other way.

- TV subscription, app, browser, magic wand?

After 4 years, they still haven't done any of this. I guess this is one of those areas where they won't do it until they can do it right. Getting the controls right from the sofa is key to most of this. Subscriptions and other content is down to the providers.
  • Reply 16 of 112
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I love the way people take things out of context.  Lets look at the entire quote:

"- Strategy: stay in the living room game and make a great "must have" accessory for iOS devices"

honestly, you are trying too hard.

• Reply 17 of 112
    I'd love to know why Apple's legal tea couldn't keep this from being made public. It has nothing to do with the trial and if anything is just embarrassing to Apple. There's a reason these documents are marked CONFIDENTIAL.
  • Reply 18 of 112
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'd love to know why Apple's legal tea couldn't keep this from being made public. It has nothing to do with the trial and if anything is just embarrassing to Apple. There's a reason these documents are marked CONFIDENTIAL.

I really don't think it's embarrassing. This type of correspondence is happening at all companies in every industry. I enjoyed reading it and id love to see googles and microsofts just for fun. Anyone with half a brain will realize that. The other half uses android, so who really cares what they think anyway.
  • Reply 19 of 112
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I'm sure Google is getting a good chuckle over that one. And what exactly has Siri leapfrogged? Certainly not Google Now.

Given that Google Now didn’t exist when they launched Siri, yeah, it did. 

You realize this e-mail is from 2010, right? You have to look at the timeframe.

• Reply 20 of 112
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

this case is about patents, right? I see nothing in this email of any help to Samsung. Why was this document even placed into Exhibit? Just to be a menance?