Apple unlocks new Copy Cat docs as evidence Samsung pilfered iPhone unlock

Comments

• Reply 101 of 234
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,347member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Samsung is being shamed before the world? You serious? I think released trial documents about Apple sales execs fretting over growth of Android handsets is more embarrassing than whatever shame might befall Samsung should Apple win this trial. I still question whether it was worth it, especially with all the confidential memos, emails, designs that came out as result of it. That Steve Jobs top 100 email from 2010 has f*ck all to do with this trial yet that's what every tech site was talking about. Of course Samsung knows this and will do whatever they can, whatever is allowed to change the subject and make the trial not about patent infringement but about Apple fretting over the competition and trying to stop it via the courts. I know I'll get murdered for saying this but basically I think Apple is cutting off its nose to spite its face.

I gave you an uprate for continuing to dig the hole your in. But realize that you are in a hole of your own making.

If Apple wins anything from this, then whatever tactic you ascribe to Samsung will have been a failure; Samsung will this time be a known as a legally sanctioned serial infringer. If Apple loses, then you can return for your pound of flesh, and your victory lap.

Either way, Apple will still have its nose attached.

• Reply 102 of 234
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,347member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

Sounds like Mueller's arguing with only half the facts. Those documents show the progression of Samsung's thinking that directly led to thrm infringing Apple's patent. They show intent. A separate fact, the fact that Apple's patented method for unlocking a phone, is present in the disputed handsets, is the evidence Samsung infringed Apple's patent. A lie by omission is still a lie. I have to wonder about all the sources, seen and unseen, of Mueller's income these days.

Mueller has turned. He is now biased Samsung/Android, driven by Apple's "irrational" quest for $40 per infringing unit for the five patents. I'm done with him.

Apple values the infringements at $40/unit, but in the Android world where everything if free or cheap, that value can't possibly be reasonable in Flourian's eyes, and so it isn't and hence his rant.

• Reply 103 of 234
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    tmay wrote: »
    Mueller has turned. He is now biased Samsung/Android, driven by Apple's "irrational" quest for $40 per infringing unit for the five patents. I'm done with him.

Apple values the infringements at $40/unit, but in the Android world where everything if free or cheap, that value can't possibly be reasonable in Flourian's eyes, and so it isn't and hence his rant.

You'd think Mueller would be sufficiently intelligent to grok Apple's strategy with respect to its $40/unit demand; it anchors a high value in the minds of jurors and it's sufficiently objectionable to Samsung that they would reject it out of hand, which aligns perfectly with Apple's stated goal that "everyone should just invent their own stuff." And I think Mueller's past work shows he is sufficiently intelligent, thus adding more evidence to the suspicion that he is, in some manner, accepting compensation from a biased source.
  • Reply 104 of 234
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rogifan wrote: »
    my mind is that Apple cut off its nose to spite its face and no one is going to change that. :)

I disagree. The gen pop doesn't care about the minute details of the trial.
  • Reply 105 of 234
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    There will be a third round, and a fourth. Apple would bring all of the patents it feels Samsung infringed in one trial, but the courts will not allow that so they must bring as many as the court will allow in each lawsuit. The courts don't want a long, drawn out trial that consumes taxpayer dollars and takes jury members away from their lives for an extended period, so Apple must litigate multiple times, with each action covering a new set of infringed patents.

Interesting. So the defense of the patents really requires that they pursue it to the end? Is that the principle here?
  • Reply 106 of 234
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

What recent phone from Samsung is copying Apple? Is the GS4 or 5 copying the iPhone? Are pull down notifications on the iPhone not copying Android?

#1 Android did not invent pull down notifications. These have been around at least since WebOS, and incidentally, Apple hired the engineer who came up with it.

#2 Are you really going to compare the few features in iOS that might resemble similar ones on Android to the blatant, well-documented and comprehensive copying that Samsung has done?

• Reply 107 of 234
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Sounds like Mueller's arguing with only half the facts. I have to wonder about all the sources, seen and unseen, of Mueller's income these days.
    Most AI commenters have been pretty comfortable with his sources of income and saw no need to question his objectivity....

until now. IMO the only thing that's factually changed recently is his tone. So now there's questioning about who he answers to? :rolleyes:
  • Reply 108 of 234
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I'm not worried about Apple. I've noticed that other companies just can't stop themselves from making hard to understand UIs. They try but can never keep for long. It's in their genes.

I tried the S5 a few days ago. I tried to be objective in my head and...well... I didn't like it. First thing I did is open the news feed and amazingly it lagged swiping to the feed and scrolling through it.

Android is built on Java which is inherently slower than Apple's Objective-C. Writing Java code is easier (despite the terrible Eclipse IDE) and app developers don't have to worry about managing memory. But the smoothness and performance of iOS clearly justify the added development effort.

I think it's going to be a while before an Android phone can match the smoothness of the iOS UI, especially if they try to copy iOS7's animated transitions.

• Reply 109 of 234
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Most AI commenters have been pretty comfortable with his sources of income and saw no need to question his objectivity....

until now. IMO the only thing that's factually changed recently is his tone. So now there's questioning about who he answers to? :rolleyes:
    You'd think Mueller would be sufficiently intelligent to grok Apple's strategy with respect to its $40/unit demand; it anchors a high value in the minds of jurors and it's sufficiently objectionable to Samsung that they would reject it out of hand, which aligns perfectly with Apple's stated goal that "everyone should just invent their own stuff." And I think Mueller's past work shows he is sufficiently intelligent, thus adding more evidence to the suspicion that he is, in some manner, accepting compensation from a biased source.

Have you considered you might have it backwards? Perhaps the contract with "a biased source" wasn't renewed and he's now saying how he really felt all along. Are you familiar with his past, how he got in this patent blogging area in the first place? His current stated opinions on Apple's courtroom strategies seem less at odds with his background than what he's written the past four years.
  • Reply 110 of 234
    comleycomley Posts: 139member
    I remember flip phones that was a cool feature

So why would you copy Apple that's ridiculous

If you're not sure that sarcasm
  • Reply 111 of 234
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

I disagree. If anything the media paints Apple as a bully and Samsung gets off scott free.

Seriously, next time you are at the coffee shop and waiting in line, ask the person next to you what he or she thinks about the Apple/Samsung trial.

I mean, something like 40% of Americans believe the sun rotates around the Earth.  I SERIOUSLY doubt that many people are aware of some patent trial between two tech companies.

• Reply 112 of 234
    flaneur wrote: »
    Interesting. So the defense of the patents really requires that they pursue it to the end? Is that the principle here?

Yes, but for more than a mere stand on principal. It's Apple's determination to force those who would infringe its patents and thus steal its intellectual property to "invent their own stuff." To force this issue, Apple apparently feels it needs to pursue litigation against each and every instance of patent infringement. It's the fact that the court doesn't allow Apple to bring all its complaints of Samsung infringement at one time that forces Apple to bring a handful at-a-time and thus bring multiple lawsuits over an extended period of time. The damage awards are what will persuade Samsung it's better to work around Apple's patents than infringe them.

These lawsuits cost Apple in terms of distraction and legal fees but reward Apple in terms of compensation for past infringements and a greater level of assurance its competition will be more hesitant in the future to infringe its patents. Apple also wins by ensuring its own workforce doesn't become discouraged seeing all their efforts to innovate being blatantly ripped off. This morale issue alone is reason to "go thermonuclear", reflecting the sentiment of the company's founder.

These lawsuits cost Samsung in terms of legal fees, judgement awards, and future R&D when it makes the determination that it might be cheaper to innovate on its own rather than outright copy its competition. As to any rewards Samsung attains, those are doubtful. Some might say that Samsung wins in the court of public opinion, but my view is that Samsung's huge (+$11 billion) marketing budget and distasteful competitive practices (paid blogging, spreading of mistruths, paid sponsorships like the recent Ellen selfie and David Ortiz selfie), etc are what is driving the anti-Apple bias, only some of which touches on the issue of intellectual property battles. Of course Samsung, and Google, would promote the notion that these patents shouldn't exist, but that meme is no reason for Apple not to defend its intellectual property and the hard work that went into creating it.
  • Reply 113 of 234
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Have you considered you might have it backwards? Perhaps the contract with "a biased source" wasn't renewed and he's now saying how he really felt all along. Are you familiar with his past, how he got in this patent blogging area in the first place? His current stated opinions on Apple's courtroom strategies seem less at odds with his background than what he's written the past four years.

So you're suggesting that Apple had Mueller on its payroll secretly. Yeah, that fits with what we know of Apple's ethics, right?
  • Reply 114 of 234
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jungmark wrote: »
    I disagree. The gen pop doesn't care about the minute details of the trial.
    No one will they care who "wins". And what is winning anyway? It's not like the GS4/5 or Galaxy Note will be pulled from shelves. IF Apple wins, Samsung pays a fine (big deal they're swimming in cash) and then goes to the media playing the sympathy card and whining about a biased court. And the anti-Apple and financial media will dutifully paint Samsung as the victim and Apple the big bully. Mark my words.
  • Reply 115 of 234
    aaronj wrote: »
    Seriously, next time you are at the coffee shop and waiting in line, ask the person next to you what he or she thinks about the Apple/Samsung trial.

I mean, something like 40% of Americans believe the sun rotates around the Earth.  I SERIOUSLY doubt that many people are aware of some patent trial between two tech companies.

I don't know what to attribute it to but there's been at least two surveys lately showing Americans look more favorably on Samsung than Apple. This is one of them. I'll link the other when I stumble on it again.
    http://www.kellerfay.com/beyond-oscars-selfie-samsungs-chase-displace-apple-americas-talked-brand/

Here's one from a few weeks ago that I hadn't seen before
  • Reply 116 of 234
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    aaronj wrote: »

I'm just speaking from my own orbit where people I know who are tech ignoramus tell me how Apple is starting to lose to companies like Samsung. It has nothing to do with this trial. But they've seen enough Samsung adverts on TV or in shopping malls (next big thing and all) and have stumbled across enough painting FUD and D&G with regards to Apple and how Samsung is allegedly beating Apple. Doesn't matter if it's a bunch of horse manure or not, they're still seeing it and hearing it from other friends, co workers, etc. So I'm not sure how beneficial this trial will be to Apple unless there is specific technology that Samsung is using RIGHT NOW that they will be forced to stop using, assuming the jury rules in Apple's favor.
  • Reply 117 of 234

Look at the evidence. He states that these documents are nothing illegal, then let's that fact alone carry the implication that Samsung did nothing wrong. While he left off the fact that, after creating these documents, Samsung then went on to implement Apple's patented method for unlocking a phone. How could a patent expert not make that point? It shows clear bias and intent to mislead his audience. How is that representative of a reduction in bias on his part? Please tell me you comprehend this!
  • Reply 118 of 234
    Quote:

Apple can do whatever it wants, I'm just not convinced its time well spent and don't think it will matter in the long run. Apple may win this battle but the war is far from over.

Which war is that? The one for customer loyalty and profits, or the one for meaningless marketshare based on sales of low end, low profit toys that aren't used for web browsing or shopping?

• Reply 119 of 234
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

No one will they care who "wins". And what is winning anyway? It's not like the GS4/5 or Galaxy Note will be pulled from shelves. IF Apple wins, Samsung pays a fine (big deal they're swimming in cash) and then goes to the media playing the sympathy card and whining about a biased court. And the anti-Apple and financial media will dutifully paint Samsung as the victim and Apple the big bully. Mark my words.

No one reads the news, though!  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I don't know what to attribute it to but there's been at least two surveys lately showing Americans look more favorably on Samsung than Apple. This is one of them. I'll link the other when I stumble on it again.

http://www.kellerfay.com/beyond-oscars-selfie-samsungs-chase-displace-apple-americas-talked-brand/

Totally irrelevant.  These sorts of "surveys" remind me of Cinemascore.

Quote:

I'm just speaking from my own orbit where people I know who are tech ignoramus tell me how Apple is starting to lose to companies like Samsung. It has nothing to do with this trial. But they've seen enough Samsung adverts on TV or in shopping malls (next big thing and all) and have stumbled across enough painting FUD and D&G with regards to Apple and how Samsung is allegedly beating Apple. Doesn't matter if it's a bunch of horse manure or not, they're still seeing it and hearing it from other friends, co workers, etc. So I'm not sure how beneficial this trial will be to Apple unless there is specific technology that Samsung is using RIGHT NOW that they will be forced to stop using, assuming the jury rules in Apple's favor.

And none of this has any real effect on anything.  Real world effect equals zero.

• Reply 120 of 234
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Considering Samsung's marketing budget and sleazy practices, I question the integrity of the source. How long before we discover that Kellerfay works for Samsung?