Apple's iOS 7 reaches 87% adoption, still growing faster than Android 4.4 KitKat

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    The largest percentage of Android users accessing the Play Store are using a version of Android that came out in mid-2012

The next largest percentage are using a version of Android from late-2012.

But the next largest percentage are using a version from 2010-2011

What I'm seeing is it takes a looong time for a particular version of Android to reach critical mass.

So... if Google releases some great new feature in a version of Android... developers probably won't even bother implementing that feature because no one can really use for a couple of years.

Am I reading that correctly? That's got to be frustrating...
  • Reply 42 of 81
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    It's still a lousy GUI and I'm still staying with iOS 6 and not buying a new iOS device until Apple undoes it's GUI destruction disaster, if it ever does.
  • Reply 43 of 81
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Outside internet tech forums I don't know of anyone that complains about iOS 7 and wishes they could go back to iOS 6.

Then you need to go to other forums. The people at KVR Audio forums are equally disgusted with iOS 7.

My Facebook acquaintances who talk about their iOS devices also dislike iOS 7, agreeing with my analyses of the GUI changes. My close friend and Apple fan also has indicated her rejection of iOS 7, and a general disinterest in upgrades overall, thanks to seeing how they historically slow down her devices.

There are many people out there who dislike iOS 7. In fact, the only people I see talking positively about iOS 7 are here and on the Macrumors forum. In other words: fanboys, and those who like change for the sake of change.
  • Reply 44 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    dysamoria wrote: »
    It's still a lousy GUI and I'm still staying with iOS 6 and not buying a new iOS device until Apple undoes it's GUI destruction disaster, if it ever does.
    Well then I guess you'll never be buying an iOS device again because Apple isn't going back to the Stone Age aka iOS 1-6. Oh and at WWDC Apple will be announcing a redesign of OS X so I guess no more Macs for you either (if you own any).
  • Reply 45 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I call BS on all the "I don't like iOS 7 and everyone I talk to agrees with me" posts. There is no way that Apple could be selling as many iPhones and iPads as it has, or have 87% of devices accessing the App Store running iOS 7 if it was hated as much as some claim. People would either not be upgrading their device or buying something else. But some how Apple,was able to sell 51M iPhones and 26M iPads, even though everyone supposedly hates iOS 7 and it's the worst UI in the history of software. Right...
  • Reply 46 of 81
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I don't know what to say.  It is equivalent.  Apple adds new features and updates some parts of the system on integer updates while Google does those things to Android on point updates.  On Android, integer updates seem to come only with major overhauls of the system and/or major UI overhauls; I've never seen it defined explicitly.

Apple seems to use point updates for bug fixing or small tweaks while point-point updates are used for critical bugs that need to be patched before a more broad release can be fully tested.  On Android the point-point updates are equivalent to Apple's point updates where bugs are fixed and small tweaks are made.  Sometimes Android's point-point updates come with a very short changelog to fix a critical bug (4.0.1, 4.1.1, and 4.2.1) but other times they fix a long list of bugs (4.0.4, 4.2.2, and the rumored 4.4.3), so these updates are equivalent to both Apple's point and point-point updates.

One should also note that iOS relies more heavily on OS updates to upgrade its core services. For example, Android doesn't need a OS revision to get updates to Chrome or the calendar app, because those components are upgraded through Google Play just like with any other app. If you compare the percentages of Android and iOS users on the latest version of their browser, the numbers would be much closer than the OS version distribution figures would suggest.

• Reply 47 of 81
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    dysamoria wrote: »

Enjoy what you go to. Plenty of good options out there.
  • Reply 48 of 81
    rogifan wrote: »
    Somebody needs to ban the use of pie charts. :no:

Is that because you're on a diet and they represent temptation?
  • Reply 49 of 81
    That's an amazing number for a mobile OS version that is worst thing to ever happen to humanity and proof Apple can't survive without Steve Jobs¡
    I agree¡ We should replace pie charts with varying degrees of open Pac-Man mouthes.

Miss Pac-Man. ????
  • Reply 50 of 81
    chipsy wrote: »
    Am I the only one who has the feeling that DED's repeat button is stuck on 'on'? :)
    It's well known that the adoption of Android updates is slower then that of iOS updates and the reasons for that are also well known, there is really no reason in repeating it to no end :s.

You're right; it must be disconcerting to constantly see bad news for Google when you're constantly trying to defend Google on an Apple website, come what may.
  • Reply 51 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Miss Pac-Man. ????

• Reply 52 of 81

????
  • Reply 53 of 81
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,584member
    In Android's version numbering system, a point update is equivalent to an entire integer update on iOS.

That's not true. There really isn't any really solid comparison between the two numbers, as Apple's consistently represents a years worth of development, while Android releases may increment several times in a few months.

Version numbers are arbitrary. Even googles desert names are meaningless. It's been selling Jelly Bean for two years, then came up with a new name for KitKat despite being essentially the same thing.

What is comparable is the length of time following a release that users have to wait to get it, or a comparison of what each vendor was offering in, say, 2010. A third of android users are still stuck with Android software released back in 2010 when Apple was selling iOS 4.
  • Reply 54 of 81
    Actually percent change is the only way to compare growth rates. In other words you misused the word faster in your comparison of the growth. KitKat is changing more rapidly but controlling less market share. iOS 7 is adding more market share but changing more slowly.

That's false. KitKat was a minor bump that added support for slower, lower speced phones. It was not a big release.

iOS 7 was a major release. Both were unveiled around the same time. It's just that most android uses can't upgrade, while essentially all iOS users already have.

Apple achieved greater adoption much faster than KitKat, in large part because Apple simply makes its software releases available to all of its users at once.
  • Reply 55 of 81
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    One should also note that iOS relies more heavily on OS updates to upgrade its core services. For example, Android doesn't need a OS revision to get updates to Chrome or the calendar app, because those components are upgraded through Google Play just like with any other app. If you compare the percentages of Android and iOS users on the latest version of their browser, the numbers would be much closer than the OS version distribution figures would suggest.

Wrong. Google didn't release Chrome until 2012, and it requires a minimum of Android 4.0, which excludes a third of the active installed base on Google Play.

So no. How do you even come up with this stuff? Sounds like you're a temp worker reading off a talking points card and haven't even ever used Android.
  • Reply 56 of 81
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,612member
    Wrong. Google didn't release Chrome until 2012, and it requires a minimum of Android 4.0, which excludes a third of the active installed base on Google Play.

So no. How do you even come up with this stuff? Sounds like you're a temp worker reading off a talking points card and haven't even ever used Android.

Actually just shy of a fifth of the installed base not a third but close enough.
    http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html?utm_source=ausdroid.net
  • Reply 57 of 81
    That's false. KitKat was a minor bump that added support for slower, lower speced phones. It was not a big release.

iOS 7 was a major release. Both were unveiled around the same time. It's just that most android uses can't upgrade, while essentially all iOS users already have.

Apple achieved greater adoption much faster than KitKat, in large part because Apple simply makes its software releases available to all of its users at once.

No, KitKat was a major release that had an extensive changelog https://developer.android.com/about/versions/kitkat.html .

And yes, iOS 7 adoption was faster. Currently, though, it is not growing faster according to basic math.
  • Reply 58 of 81
    That's not true. There really isn't any really solid comparison between the two numbers, as Apple's consistently represents a years worth of development, while Android releases may increment several times in a few months.

Version numbers are arbitrary. Even googles desert names are meaningless. It's been selling Jelly Bean for two years, then came up with a new name for KitKat despite being essentially the same thing.

What is comparable is the length of time following a release that users have to wait to get it, or a comparison of what each vendor was offering in, say, 2010. A third of android users are still stuck with Android software released back in 2010 when Apple was selling iOS 4.

I'll refer you to my post above where I explain why they're equivalent. Care to provide evidence to refute it?
  • Reply 59 of 81

It's not just Chrome. The full list of Google apps updated through the Play Store is Gmail, Google+, Google Search, Maps, YouTube, Google Text-to-Speech, Street View, Chrome, Hangouts, Play Books, Play Newsstand, Play Games, Play Music, Play Movies & TV, Voice Search, Google Drive, Google Earth, Quickoffice, Google Translate, Google Keep, SoundSearch, TalkBack Accessibility, Cloud Print, Google Wallet, Google Voice, Google Keyboard, Google Offers, and many other niche apps.
  • Reply 60 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    No, KitKat was a major release that had an extensive changelog https://developer.android.com/about/versions/kitkat.html .

And yes, iOS 7 adoption was faster. Currently, though, it is not growing faster according to basic math.

Android 4.4 "features":
    1. Refreshed interface with white elements instead of blue
    2. Clock no longer shows bold hours, all digits are thin. The H, M, and S markings for the stopwatch and timer have been removed, leaving just the numbers.
    3. Ability for applications to trigger translucency in the navigation and status bars[127]
    4. Ability for applications to use "immersive mode" to keep the navigation and status bars hidden while maintaining user interaction[128]
    5. Action overflow menu buttons are always visible, even on devices with a hardware "Menu" key, which was officially deprecated by Android 4.0[129]
    6. Optimizations for performance on devices with lower specifications, including zRAM support and "low RAM" device API[123]
    7. Wireless printing capability[123]
    8. NFC host card emulation, enabling a device to replace smart cards[123]
    9. WebViews now based on Chromium engine (feature parity with Chrome for Android 30)
    10. Removal of unofficial Flash Player support
    11. Expanded functionality for notification listener services[123]
    12. Public API for developing and managing text messaging clients[130]
    13. New framework for UI transitions
    14. Storage access framework for retrieving content and documents from other sources
    15. Sensor batching, step detector and counter APIs[123]
    16. Settings application now makes it possible to select default text messaging and home (launcher) application
    17. Audio tunneling, audio monitoring and loudness enhancer[131]
    18. Built-in screen recording feature (primarily for developers, as usage of ADB is required)[132]
    19. Native infrared blaster API
    20. Expanded accessibility APIs and system-level closed captioning settings
    21. New experimental runtime virtual machine, ART (not enabled by default)[133]
    22. Bluetooth Message Access Profile (MAP) support[134]
    23. Disabled access to battery statistics by third-party applications[135]
    24. Settings application no longer uses a multi-pane layout on devices with larger screens
    25. Wi-Fi and mobile data activity (TX/RX) indicators are moved to quick settings[136]
    26. Applications' write access to secondary storage (memory cards on devices with internal primary storage) is made possible but restricted to their designated private directories only, while full access to internal primary storage is still allowed through a separate application-level permission.[67][68]

iOS 7[.0.0] changelog:

Spoiler:

(You can remove 48 of these as they are category headings for changes. Yeah, they have that many changes.)

Also note that list isn't even close to exhaustive as it doesn't list developer features like frameworks and APIs that were added whereas the KitKat change log does list APIs and frameworks. Apple adds thousands of new APIs each year with excellent documentation to go along with it.

And here is 7.1, that measly point update we just had:

1. CarPlayP5 P5C P5S
    2. iOS experience designed for the car (iPhone 5 and later).
    3. Works by connecting a Lightning enabled iPhone to a CarPlay enabled vehicle.
    4. Supports Phone, Messages, Maps, and audio apps (inc. Music and third-party).
    5. Siri (except P4 P4C S2 S2C)
    6. Manually control when Siri listens by holding down the Home button while you speak, then releasing it when you're finished.
    7. New, more natural sounding male and female voices for Chinese, UK English, Australian English, and Japanese.
    8. iTunes Radio
    9. Search field above Featured Stations to create stations based on Artist or Song.
    10. Buy albums directly from the Now Playing screen.
    11. Accessibility
    12. Bold font option now includes the keyboard, calculator, and many icon glyphs.
    13. Reduce Motion option now includes Weather, Messages, and multitasking UI animations.
    14. New options to display button shapes, darken app colors, and reduce white point.
    15. Calendar
    16. Option to display event list with the month view.
    17. Country specific holidays automatically added for many countries.
    18. List view has been redesigned.
    19. UI
    20. Camera app has a new "HDR Auto" feature.P5S
    21. Photos & Camera tab in iOS Settings has a new "Upload Burst Photos" option.
    22. You can disable Parallax effect independently of other animations when setting up wallpaper.
    23. Notification Center now displays "No Notifications" and "No Missed Notifications" for the "All" and "Missed" sections respectively when there are no notifications.
    24. Caller ID photos: no longer full screen, instead small circle portrait for incoming/outgoing calls.[94]
    25. New Yahoo logo, in both Notification Center and the Weather app.
    26. A new dialogue "Touch ID requires your passcode when iPhone restarts" when restarting.P5S
    27. New iPad wallpapers.
    28. "Touch ID and Passcode" has been moved-up to the main menu in Settings.
    29. Animations and transitions are noticeably faster.
    30. Keyboard has new Shift/Backspace key highlights.
    31. Control Center has a new "spring" animation upon opening.
    32. Control Center sliders — volume and brightness — have momentum.
    33. Wi-Fi toggle in Control Center now black when Wi-Fi not available (greyed-out in Settings)
    34. Icons for Phone, Messages and FaceTime apps have less vibrant colors.
    35. Music app: Albums now in descending order when browsing by Artist.
    36. Numerous changes that make iOS 7 whole, consistent.
    37. The Phone app has a new-look dialer.
    38. The slide-to-power-off UI has been redesigned.
    39. Bug Fixes/Improvements
    40. Touch ID fingerprint recognition is improved.
    41. Improved performance.P4
    42. Fixes a home screen crash bug.
    43. Fixes display of Mail unread badge for numbers greater than 10,000.
    44. iCloud Keychain support in additional countries.
    45. FaceTime call notifications, automatically clear when call answered on another device.
    46. iBeacon improvements.[95]
    47. Patches 41 security exploits, including those used by the Evasi0n 7 jailbreak.[96]

(And you can minus 7 of the items from this list for the previously stated reason.)

So even that piddly iOS 7.1 point update kills Android 4.4 which you claim is a major release. That just makes it sadder in my opinion.

PS: Thank you for having me look this up because I didn't realize the disparity between iOS and Android updates were as vast but you've inadvertently shown everyone here the truth.