Apple's Schiller was 'shocked' at ad agency's suggestions for branding turnaround, documents show

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    The ad agency -- which apparently has an aversion to capital letters --

:lol:
  • Reply 22 of 77
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Oh my god... the grammar.

:/
  • Reply 23 of 77
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ireland wrote: »
    I don't get it either. It is interesting, though. If anything, to me it shows how much people like Schiller care about Apple. Apple is still scrappy after all these years on top. I'm lovin' it, MacDonalds-style.

Samsung's lawyers are trying to paint Apple in a corner crying for answers and not having a clue what to do. But... regardless of how this trial goes, ultimately 2014 itself will say more about how Apple's doin' than any court case will. I hope they update Apple TV to make all these other products look like toys.

And as unpopular as it is around here, I hope they release an actual TV. The TV market is a confusing mess that needs someone like Apple to come in and make sense of it. Each player is making like 50 TVs and the longer you look into buying a TV the more confusing it gets. You can't get information, all you get is conflicting opinions. It's bad out there. And even the best TVs on the market are kind of ugly looking, and the backs of these supposedly sexy sets look like the facade of a fucking Borg star ship. With remote controls designed by morons and software the likes of which looks like is was created by the blind. This market is ripe for some real innovation. For someone like Apple to come along and carefully and methodically design the TV from the ground up in a cohesive, simple, well designed, integrated experience for modern times.

YOU CAN'T BUY A TV WITH A DECENT SET OF SPEAKERS BUILT IN. IT'S A JOKE!!!!

The best TV of the moment: The moron-named Panasonic TX-P60ZT65B has dual 5-watt speakers? WTF is going on? It's like living in bizarro world. My 8-year old Pioneer has dual 13-watt speakers. The 6-year old Kuro 9G had 18-watt ones. And watching a movie on a modern LED TV is like cutting your eyes with razor blades. The whole thing is upside-down.

"OLED-info" blog had a story today from the Korea Herald about an LG OLED one-off done up for Apple, supposedly because once again their planned TV for 2013 is in trouble. I may send a link if I can find it.

Here: http://www.oled-info.com/new-rumors-suggest-lgd-developing-65-oled-tv-panels-apple
  • Reply 24 of 77
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I can understand where the guy was coming from because it's a mindset a lot of people got into because of all the negative press - he was buying into media reports about Apple and then suggesting their company needs to behave differently instead of just doing the job he was hired to do.

Look at how many people posted here on the forum about the Apple stock as if Apple was days away from closing the doors unless they quickly changed their business strategy despite still being one of the most profitable companies in the world.

The trouble with external ad agencies is they don't follow what's actually going on in the company and what messages need to be sent out. They assess the outside perception like everyone else and just try to suggest ways to fix those perceived issues. The trouble with internal ad groups is they would be more likely to run out of ideas as they aren't working with multiple clients and experimenting with a variety of ideas and styles.

Schiller seems overly sensitive and weird here. What you describe isn't a problem with ad agencies. A company can be explicit in the message they want to send. In the case of the ad agency executive, he referred to narratives. They're just an issue of what kind of message is conveyed. If they're so far apart on message that seems more like a meeting topic than one to be discussed via email.

• Reply 25 of 77
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Get a sound bar.
  • Reply 26 of 77
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    quadra 610 wrote: »

Couldn't agree more. Sounds like breathless Valley-speak from a poorly-educated teenager.

I sincerely believe that the senior management, starting with CEO, of the most valuable company in the world -- from an English-speaking country -- needs to learn to articulate their thoughts in a more precise, a more grammatical, better punctuated fashion.

Get some speech/English coaches, guys. This is embarrassing. SJ would never put up with such crap.
  • Reply 27 of 77
    andysol wrote: »
    :lol:

Looks like someone using a regular keyboard after using one with auto correct for a new extended period of time.
  • Reply 28 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Get a sound bar.

Give me a TV with no speakers on it. That's what we really need. Go 5.1 surround or go home.

• Reply 29 of 77
    Give me a TV with no speakers on it. That's what we really need. Go 5.1 surround or go home.

Not everyone has the space nor the budget. I live in a house that's almost 100 yrs old. Needless to say room for large flat panel TVs and a bunch of speakers were not included in the plans.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

"OLED-info" blog had a story today from the Korea Herald about an LG OLED one-off done up for Apple, supposedly because once again their planned TV for 2013 is in trouble. I may send a link if I can find it.

Here: http://www.oled-info.com/new-rumors-suggest-lgd-developing-65-oled-tv-panels-apple

I'd say the rumour may not be true, but if I'm not at all happy with LED TV's I should hope to God Apple isn't. I hope this is what's holding them back. That size sounds wrong to me, however. Gut feeling says Apple would only go 65 if they felt there was a really need for it. I'd say their first set would be closer to 50 so they could highly focus on one size for at least the first year. And the brilliant thing about iTV will be there won't be model identifiers. It will be the iTV and there will be one of two sizes. Like the way MacBook has two sizes and no letters. Somewhere in the menu will tell folks "Mid 2015" or whatever.

But the Samsung CEO just said OLED won't be affordable for the consumer until 2018, so I have my doubts Apple can pull that off in 2015.

Aside from the real issue which is content. Without the right content this TV will be a sexy object lacking where really matters.

• Reply 31 of 77
    emesemes Posts: 239member

I'm sure if Apple took Samsung's aggressive advertising approach they could turn out some really great and scathing ads, but people would hold it against them.

All the same, after seeing some of Samsung's ridiculously blunt and blackguarding ads I believe the Apple Empire should Strike Back.

• Reply 32 of 77
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    mstone wrote: »
    perhaps they see Schiller as the Achilles heel in this case. I certainly don't see him as a guru of anything. Lately, the marketing has been pretty bad, in my opinion.
    Agree. Specially with your second point.
  • Reply 33 of 77
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Schiller seems overly sensitive and weird here. What you describe isn't a problem with ad agencies. A company can be explicit in the message they want to send. In the case of the ad agency executive, he referred to narratives. They're just an issue of what kind of message is conveyed. If they're so far apart on message that seems more like a meeting topic than one to be discussed via email.

You do have to wonder how they got so far apart.  One thing I saw an agency do once when they had an unhappy client, was to create two isolated creative teams that competed against each other for the clients approval.  The people on the two teams didn't talk to each other and came up with differing approaches.  The client got some new ideas and the agency got a better relationship with them.

• Reply 34 of 77
    I've worked with very large advertising companies on par with TBWA and it's jaw-dropping to see how they operate when a Fortune 500 client is dissatisfied with their efforts. In addition, it's quite a sight to watch when that same large, long-term client decides to go shopping for a new advertising company. I can't think of an analogy that is massive enough to do justice to what goes on... When you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about.

Schiller, essentially told James Vincent, TBWA... "You've not been doing your job!" To put this in context of the overall picture, an advertising company of TBWA's size, should have used their lobbying power in DC to contain the whole iBook price-fixing mess before it came to a head. Lobbying power, you ask? Yes, the large advertising companies own the best lobbyist in DC... They pay their rent and provide their furniture. In turn they get access to the very highest political offices. If TBWA had been doing their job, Apple wouldn't have went out and hired a lobbyist of their own, as they did recently.
  • Reply 35 of 77
    Samsung is making it more complicated than it really is and to confuse the jurors.
  • Reply 36 of 77
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Great Apple advertising? Haven't seen a great Apple ad since Apple became a predictable boring company. That'd be since Tim Cook took the reigns. In 2014 Apple hasn't done a f-ing thing -- just like in 2011 -2013! Shiller is wrong, the the Mad boys are right. But why listen to the very people you pay to be experts? Apple needs to get off its self righteous ass and do anything remotely surprising, original, or creative. AAPL is a featherless peacock under Tim Cook!
  • Reply 37 of 77
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    IMO Apple could use a good dose of light-hearted humor at this point in time... even if they decided to laugh at themselves a little. Something that could take the steam and punch out of the serious obnoxiousness and digs that Samsung and others like to use to paint a picture of Apple.

Self-effusing humor could work wonders towards pulling back the view of the mega serious computer beheamoth that Apple has become, and bring it back down "touchable" size... :smokey:
  • Reply 38 of 77
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

You do have to wonder how they got so far apart.  One thing I saw an agency do once when they had an unhappy client, was to create two isolated creative teams that competed against each other for the clients approval.  The people on the two teams didn't talk to each other and came up with differing approaches.  The client got some new ideas and the agency got a better relationship with them.

That must have been an important account, and yeah I would have expected their face to face meetings to keep things synergetic. In such cases they have the opportunity to speak about the overall direction and review any generated pre-production assets or concepts to be pitched. Email just seems like a weird place for that, because if there is any misinterpretation, you can't correct it in the same time frame as you would over the course of a meeting.

• Reply 39 of 77
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    I'd say the rumour may not be true, but if I'm not at all happy with LED TV's I should hope to God Apple isn't. I hope this is what's holding them back. That size sounds wrong to me, however. Gut feeling says Apple would only go 65 if they felt there was a really need for it. I'd say their first set would be closer to 50 so they could highly focus on one size for at least the first year. And the brilliant thing about iTV will be there won't be model identifiers. It will be the iTV and there will be one of two sizes. Like the way MacBook has two sizes and no letters. Somewhere in the menu will tell folks "Mid 2015" or whatever.

But the Samsung CEO just said OLED won't be affordable for the consumer until 2018, so I have my doubts Apple can pull that off in 2015.

Aside from the real issue which is content. Without the right content this TV will be a sexy object lacking where really matters.

1) who cares what Samsung said?

2) the article stated that the size would likely be 55" panels at around 10,000/month... about right for a roll out into this space for Apple.

3) did you happen to notice the thinness? Which happens to back up my statement a couple of days ago of "... not much more than a few millimeters of glass or other material" with not much more that a couple of connectors and a wifi chip.

4) no speakers for you to bitch about their quality... including those that you obsessed about in the new iMacs. I'm thinking synchronized wifi-bridged 5.1 surround sound or 3d sound bars/boxes ala Sonos for the future... or even BT speakers for "simple and inexpensive" purposes.

5) never forget, Apple hates wires and cords... unless they're going to an ugly break-out box or device that can (and should be) shoved in a closet or be hidden somewhere out of sight.

6) Also Apple hates sharing "shelf space" or their logo with anything else in view. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a new AppleTV wouldn't be much thicker than an iPhone, maybe 1.5x15x15cm and there be a slot dock on the back of a panel like the one in the article to essentially "hide it" as well.

Carry on worrying and complaining about today's tech challenges and shortcomings... and I'll continue dreaming and envisioning about what the future may hold.... :smokey:
  • Reply 40 of 77
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Couldn't agree more. Sounds like breathless Valley-speak from a poorly-educated teenager.

I sincerely believe that the senior management, starting with CEO, of the most valuable company in the world -- from an English-speaking country -- needs to learn to articulate their thoughts in a more precise, a more grammatical, better punctuated fashion.

Get some speech/English coaches, guys. This is embarrassing. SJ would never put up with such crap.

doubt there is much issue parsing through the grammar for most people. However,  "breathless Valley-speak"  we could do without.   His response could have been 1/10 as long and more to the point without all the dancing.