Apple has a new "Myths" page

sebseb
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Probably not much to discuss here, but interesting to see they've got their swords drawn:



<a href="http://www.apple.com/myths/"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/myths/</a>;
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 25
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Cool page. PC users could learn a lot that they didn't already know.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    I think it's good that apple did this, it helps to clear the air for potential mac users.



    I like this one



    [quote]It can?t be denied that Microsoft has made a good business out of copying the innovative Mac OS. And, truth be told, Windows XP is their best effort to date.<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 3 of 25
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I was at the Apple Store and got the pamphlet for the new iMac.



    This message is printed on the back of that pamphlet.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    ok this page exist on apple site.... but it's like the apple games one...there is noclear sign pointing to it. Anyone could tell me where is the link on apple site ?
  • Reply 5 of 25
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    you must believe the link is how you join the quest of men looking for the hidden passage ways to the homes of Babylon
  • Reply 6 of 25
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    There one thing they didn't answer



    Myth 7: PC are faster than Mac
  • Reply 7 of 25
    jrcjrc Posts: 804member
    [quote]Originally posted by skip_112:

    <strong>I think it's good that apple did this, it helps to clear the air for potential mac users.



    I like this one



    </strong><hr></blockquote>



    "Truth be told"



    Haven't we heard that exact colloquialism (sp?) out of Steve's mouth before? Did he write those himself?
  • Reply 8 of 25
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    the best parts:

    Myth 5: Windows has caught up with the Mac.

    It can?t be denied that Microsoft has made a good business out of copying the innovative Mac OS. And, truth be told, Windows XP is their best effort to date. But Mac OS X has sent them back to the drawing boards.



    Myth 6: Macs are far easier to use than PCs. Guilty as charged.



    <img src="graemlins/smokin.gif" border="0" alt="[Chilling]" />
  • Reply 9 of 25
    The pointer to this site should be found in the 'hot news' section, but the pictures are changing so there's a chance you wont find it
  • Reply 10 of 25
    I don't like this comparison to Windows. it makes it seem like they are running neck and neck and Apple has pulled out in front again. Windows users aren't going to care if the Mac claims to be a bit better. Apple should be saying that they are in another league than Windows. Windows gives you endless hassles and requires concentration to figure out what is going on whereas the Mac is like the service at a five star hotel. It simply gets out of your way and let's you do what you want to do. Windows is like driving in traffic and the Mac is like a country back road. They need to really make the difference in ease of use clear.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by spindler:

    <strong>I don't like this comparison to Windows. it makes it seem like they are running neck and neck and Apple has pulled out in front again. Windows users aren't going to care if the Mac claims to be a bit better. Apple should be saying that they are in another league than Windows. Windows gives you endless hassles and requires concentration to figure out what is going on whereas the Mac is like the service at a five star hotel. It simply gets out of your way and let's you do what you want to do. Windows is like driving in traffic and the Mac is like a country back road. They need to really make the difference in ease of use clear.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    The point of the message wasn't to pump the Mac so much as to dispel a lot of misinformation. It's astonishing how many people still think Macs can't use the internet, or that you can't buy software for the Mac or share data between Macs and PCs. There's only one item I think they should have added:



    Myth 7: Apple is about to go bankrupt.

    Apple employs thousands of engineers, developers, and support personnel, owns thousands of technology patents and currently has a cash surplus of approximately US$4.2 billion. In addition, Apple was one of the few PC makers to consistently post profits in 2001.



    Just to make it official:



    WE ARE NOT GOING BANKRUPT.




  • Reply 12 of 25
    [quote]I like this one





    quote:

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    It can’t be denied that Microsoft has made a good business out of copying the innovative Mac OS. And, truth be told, Windows XP is their best effort to date.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------



    <hr></blockquote>



    This is an Apple made myth. OSX is Apple's best effort in copying Windows NT.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Where does OS X copy NT?



    OS X more faithfully copies FreeBSD more than anything else. Now all we need is ports, dammit...
  • Reply 14 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

    <strong>Where does OS X copy NT?



    OS X more faithfully copies FreeBSD more than anything else. Now all we need is ports, dammit...</strong><hr></blockquote>



    My point exactly.



    Fruity colors does not an Operating System make. I don't see where MS has done all that much 'copying' in the last six years. The interfaces look nothing alike, they are based on a different kernel, they store information differently, for better or worse I'd say XP/OSX bear relatively few similarities.



    Saying there is "copying" still going on on the part of Redmond is FUD that is readily absorbed only by juvenile, moronic, and ignorant MS-naysayers who can find no better excuse to make a case for Apple being *the* industry leader whom everyone else follows.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    MS MovieMaker, the eye candy...I still think the look and feel is eerily similar, at least aesthetically.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    [quote]Originally posted by JFW:

    <strong>



    This is an Apple made myth. OSX is Apple's best effort in copying Windows NT.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    And there are some PC users that will just stay stupid.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    [quote]Originally posted by JFW:

    <strong>



    My point exactly.



    Fruity colors does not an Operating System make. I don't see where MS has done all that much 'copying' in the last six years. The interfaces look nothing alike, they are based on a different kernel, they store information differently, for better or worse I'd say XP/OSX bear relatively few similarities.



    Saying there is "copying" still going on on the part of Redmond is FUD that is readily absorbed only by juvenile, moronic, and ignorant MS-naysayers who can find no better excuse to make a case for Apple being *the* industry leader whom everyone else follows.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    All one has to do is look here



    <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ehome/"; target="_blank">http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ehome/</a>;



    MS is copying the way Apple is heading. Yet again



    Oh yeah Bill that was a nice ripoff of iMovie you have bundled with XP now. Good idea.



    Apple is known as "R&D south" by MS employees for a reason.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    pcmanpcman Posts: 24member
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

    <strong>There one thing they didn't answer



    Myth 7: PC are faster than Mac </strong><hr></blockquote>



    Why would this be there? It's not a myth.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Eugene:



    [quote]MS MovieMaker, the eye candy...I still think the look and feel is eerily similar, at least aesthetically. <hr></blockquote>



    It's:



    Just Eyecandy. More complex interfaces are a logical evolution of the GUI. Apple doesn't have the market cornered on natural progressions of technology.



    Likewise moviemaker is in the same boat, and iMovie wasn't the first movie making software available.



    Sinewave:



    Your link proves *nothing*



    [quote]And there are some PC users that will just stay stupid.

    <hr></blockquote>



    Well that response sure made *you* appear intellegent

  • Reply 20 of 25
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    I just saw Apple's new intro and am impressed.



    Apple copying Windows NT, that sure is out of left field. Some one really missed the mark on that comment. Heck, missed the friggin planet.
Sign In or Register to comment.