Apple issues iMovie for Mac update with new features, bug fixes

Posted:
in Mac Software edited March 2015
Apple rolled out an update to iMovie for Mac, bringing new sorting and font options, enhanced titles, UI tweaks and bug fixes to desktop version of its consumer level video editing app.

iMovie version 10.0.3 offers a few new features, including general usability additions like sorting events in the sidebar by date, double-clicking a transition to adjust duration, the ability to crop and rotate clips in events.

In addition, users can now change the font, size and color of new title assets introduced in iMovie version 10. Speed effects have also been tweaked and can be added via the Adjustments Bar, while a new option allows for smooth transitions in and out of these effects.

As with any update, iMovie comes with bug fixes, which are listed in the release notes:
  • Fixes issues that could cause iMovie to quit unexpectedly
  • Resolves issues that could cause sharing to fail
  • Improves reliability of search when using partial or multiple search terms
  • General usability improvements on computers using certain languages
iMovie version 10.0.3 weighs in at 1.97GB and can be downloaded via Software Update. Alternatively, for those with older Macs, the app can be purchased for $14.99 from the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

• Quote:

Fixes issues that could cause iMovie to quit unexpectedly

Thank you Apple for this!

• Reply 2 of 47
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Now if they'd just make iMovie easy to use like it the old old iMovie that would be great!
  • Reply 3 of 47
    Still no importing iOS projects? Grrr...
  • Reply 4 of 47
    inoseyinosey Posts: 89member
    macxpress wrote: »
    Now if they'd just make iMovie easy to use like it the old old iMovie that would be great!
    it is easy...
  • Reply 5 of 47
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iNosey View Post

it is easy...

But not as simply/easy to use as iMovie 6 HD.

• Reply 6 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iNosey View Post

it is easy...

Its not easy at all for a typical consumer. They've ruined iMovie totally over the years by making it too much like FCP. The old iMovie 6 HD was amazing and everyone could figure it out. Now unless you take course, or watch tutorials you won't have a clue as to what to do, even for the simplest things such as combining 2 or 3 clips together is a task in the new iMovie releases. 

• Reply 7 of 47
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Its not easy at all for a typical consumer. They've ruined iMovie totally over the years by making it too much like FCP. The old iMovie 6 HD was amazing and everyone could figure it out. Now unless you take course, or watch tutorials you won't have a clue as to what to do, even for the simplest things such as combining 2 or 3 clips together is a task in the new iMovie releases. 
    Really? I wonder if you have just failed to figure the 'new' iMovie out. I don't use it that much but I did recently and was amazed at how simple it was.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    I'm a typical consumer. I didn't take a class... I like it better than the old iMovie.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    paxman wrote: »
    Really? I wonder if you have just failed to figure the 'new' iMovie out. I don't use it that much but I did recently and was amazed at how simple it was.
    Exactly
  • Reply 10 of 47
    paxman wrote: »
    They're just trying to find something wrong with apple
  • Reply 11 of 47
    It still blew up my old iMovie clips and I haven't recovered from that...
  • Reply 12 of 47
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondYourFrontDoor View Post

It still blew up my old iMovie clips and I haven't recovered from that...

And I'm sure you didn't have those old clips exported into a format that would enable you to import cleanly into later versions, right?

• Reply 13 of 47

Why would I expect Apple to stop supporting Quicktime?  Yeah, I have been converting my clips using an automator action, but my original projects themselves are gone.  So, if I wanted to tweak them and reupload I can't.  Now I have 2 versions of iMovie but still can't work on my old movies...

I switched to Apple to avoid crap like this... crap like iMovie going backwards, Numbers turning into a 1987 version of Lotus 1-2-3... etc etc...  I am a fanboy, but they better get things back on track.

• Reply 14 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

And I'm sure you didn't have those old clips exported into a format that would enable you to import cleanly into later versions, right?

Why would I expect Apple to stop supporting Quicktime?  Yeah, I have been converting my clips using an automator action, but my original projects themselves are gone.  So, if I wanted to tweak them and reupload I can't.  Now I have 2 versions of iMovie but still can't work on my old movies...

I switched to Apple to avoid crap like this... crap like iMovie going backwards, Numbers turning into a 1987 version of Lotus 1-2-3... etc etc...  I am a fanboy, but they better get things back on track.

• Reply 15 of 47
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Well, I'm a typical consumer who never used iMovie until a few days ago.  I wanted to film my golf swing, using two cameras (my iPad and my iPhone), one from behind down the line, and the other front facing from the side.  My goal was to combine the clips into a split-screen view.

Not having ever used any version of iMovie before, I wasn't sure if this would be simple to do or beyond me.  It took me about 20 minutes of playing around and searching on the web, and voila!

Now, if someone like me, with absolutely no experience, can figure it out anyone can.

• Reply 16 of 47
    aaronj wrote: »
    Well, I'm a typical consumer who never used iMovie until a few days ago.  I wanted to film my golf swing, using two cameras (my iPad and my iPhone), one from behind down the line, and the other front facing from the side.  My goal was to combine the clips into a split-screen view.

Not having ever used any version of iMovie before, I wasn't sure if this would be simple to do or beyond me.  It took me about 20 minutes of playing around and searching on the web, and voila!

Now, if someone like me, with absolutely no experience, can figure it out anyone can.

Give that same project to your mom and see if the outcome is the same. I hardly think you're a typical Apple user.

Nobody I know can figure out how to use the newer iMovie releases. They turn to Windows Movie Maker which is more like the old iMove 6 HD. What does that say? I see more people trying to use iMovie than you do, I guarantee it. It's a sad state when people resort to Windows to do media editing even if they use a Mac. Now either everyone I work with in school are a bunch of idiots or something is wrong. I'm thinking the latter.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Give that same project to your mom and see if the outcome is the same. I hardly think you're a typical Apple user.

Nobody I know can figure out how to use the newer iMovie releases. They turn to Windows Movie Maker which is more like the old iMove 6 HD. What does that say? I see more people trying to use iMovie than you do, I guarantee it. It's a sad state when people resort to Windows to do media editing even if they use a Mac. Now either everyone I work with in school are a bunch of idiots or something is wrong. I'm thinking the latter.

All I can comment on is my experience, and it was almost entirely painless.

Have these people you worked with actually used computers before?  

• Reply 18 of 47
    aaronj wrote: »
    All I can comment on is my experience, and it was almost entirely painless.

Have these people you worked with actually used computers before?  

Yes, everyday. Don't ask stupid questions...
  • Reply 19 of 47
    Quote:

Nobody I know can figure out how to use the newer iMovie releases. 

Get to know smarter people

• Reply 20 of 47

No, I am in the camp that says the latest version is not intuitive. It sux.

I do wonder if knowing how old iMovie worked is a disadvantage. 

But simple things like selecting a piece of footage to delete from a project seems difficult.

I used to select the piece of footage that I wanted to delete, and hit delete. How easy!

Now, that doesn't work anymore. Not a good start, new iMovie.

Agree with the general point, software companies have been doing some bad work of late, dumbing down applications so much that they just don't work anymore.

In fact, the norm seems to be, upgrades these days have people saying "you did what!?!"