Pioneer announces first aftermarket Apple CarPlay systems, coming this summer starting at ...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) I have no interest in an aftermarket unit but I'm glad to see this is moving quickly. This shows that it shouldn't be too hard for vendors and that some existing devices and cars should get access.

2) I can't wait for a auto maker to have this ready as I'm considering buying a new car for this ease-of-use feature but I definitely want to test it out first.
    Is that a serious question?

Maybe it is a good question. My wife and I (me?) are 'grandfathered in' with AT&T for unlimited data on iPhones, YEAH!. They refused to add iPads to the plan understandably :(. So we can drive all day and stream anything we want for free via iPhones which is great in my wife's Lexus which supports the iPhone or my Jeep which does too. However, if such an after market device were added I think, if I understand this, it is independent of the iPhone and hence its plan ... or is it still using the plan you have or do they need an additional plan, if so can it be added to an unlimited plan ... I could go on but I wont .. :)
  • Reply 22 of 43
    mpantone wrote: »
    Nope.

Pioneer sold many of their Kuro plasma patents to Panasonic, shut down the production line last year. It's dead.

Plasma's days are limited.

Given this is a thread about cars and you mention plasma ... ... http://www.tomshardware.com/news/bill-gates-car-engine,7517.html
  • Reply 23 of 43
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

A little off topic, and probably showing my old fuddy-nis... but I sure do not like the lack of tactile buttons to adjust or select on these newer displays/car consoles. All the talk about keeping eyes on the road, and they remove more buttons(from the display with feeble attempt to put on the steering wheel) daring you to take your eyes off the road. (yea yea Siri... good luck with that). Long live the button! 

• Reply 24 of 43
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Maybe it is a good question. My wife and I (me?) are 'grandfathered in' with AT&T for unlimited data on iPhones, YEAH!. They refused to add iPads to the plan understandably :(. So we can drive all day and stream anything we want for free via iPhones which is great in my wife's Lexus which supports the iPhone or my Jeep which does too. However, if such an after market device were added I think, if I understand this, it is independent of the iPhone and hence its plan ... or is it still using the plan you have or do they need an additional plan, if so can it be added to an unlimited plan ... I could go on but I wont .. :)

CarPlay is a secondary UI built into iOS that is pushed over the Lightning cable to your car's head unit.

No carrier should be aware of when you use this feature although it's possible — although I believe highly unlikely — that Apple would ink deals with carriers to preent you from using this feature without a carrier-supplied profile, like they did with tethering. Unlike tethering you're not breaking the contractual obligation because it's really just a secondary display for your iPhone, not a new device using that Internet connection.

PS: have you checked your usage? Most people can save money by getting rid of their unlimited plans.

PPS: I made a huge mistake going back to AT&T fort iPhone 5S. No LTE anywhere newer me and audio calls are much worse than with Verizon.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,250member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

This a good thing if the major radio brand are incorporating this technologies. The after Market Radio Deck industries was on the verge of disappearing until this. We were almost at the point where people saw no value in a radio on the car since they were playing music and such from their own devices. If this takes off Apple may have breathed new lift into a dying industry.

The only issue most cars today have proprietary radios and putting in an aftermarket radio is almost impossible. These are geared toward the older lower end car which still use the standard DIN Radio inserts. But Auto companies are not designing their radios today, they farm the work out to companies like Pioneer and such, so this is just the first step before making it way into a car. I just wish Ford would drop its deal with MS, their product such and has issues.

I bought a 2013 Toyota Tacoma with the base display audio system (no navigation). Other than having a difficult time finding drawings or the original audio system manufacturer (non/JBL), Crutchfield lists all the things I wouldn't be able to keep if I replaced the factory head unit with any aftermarket unit, even a GPS navigation receiver; no USB or AUX input or XM satellite. It doesn't say anything about hands-free dialing but this is handled on the touch screen as well as the steering wheel. If Alpine or Pioneer can interface with all the extras, then getting a higher end display capable of using CarPlay might be worth it, otherwise I'd have to wait for Toyota to try and add a firmware update for my system and hope it looks reasonable. Otherwise, I might look at getting an iPad mini and connect it to the factory stereo for output and see how it works.

• Reply 26 of 43
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    A little off topic, and probably showing my old fuddy-nis... but I sure do not like the lack of tactile buttons to adjust or select on these newer displays/car consoles. All the talk about keeping eyes on the road, and they remove more buttons(from the display with feeble attempt to put on the steering wheel) daring you to take your eyes off the road. (yea yea Siri... good luck with that). Long live the button! 

How is putting buttons on the steering wheel (and as a knob in center console) close to your hands natural resting areas a bad thing?
  • Reply 27 of 43
    BTW, those that don't want to buy a new head unit will probably be able to use an iPad Mini that is hacked to show CarPlay on the main display. Just a hunch but it doesn't seem like a major feat to get that to work.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I had written to Jaguar USA asking if CarPlay will be available in 2015 models. Here's the reply I got -- bloody disappointing, despite all the fanfare a few weeks ago!
    ----
    Dear ****,

Thank you for contacting Jaguar Land Rover North America LLC.

I appreciate your interest in Jaguar. I apologize, but at this time we have not been advised on whether or not Apple CarPlay will be available in our future models. We have not been given any information on the late 2014 or 2015 model vehicles. It is certainly a feature that we are considering. If you have not already done so, you may want to visitwww.jaguarusa.com and choose 'Stay Informed' at the bottom of the page. This will ensure you receive the most up to date information on our products as it becomes available. I apologize for the inconvenience.

If you have any other questions or require additional information, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-4-JAGUAR, option 9.

Regards,

Customer Relationship Center Representative

Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC

PS: Why do customer service people always 'apologize for the inconvenience'? Does research actually tell them that, for the customer, it amounts to something more than annoying, irritating, boilerplate corporate pap?!
    That reaction from Jaguar is worrying. Makes me think that in the end all of these so-called Apple partners in the motor industry will, in the end get cold feet and use Google's alternative instead. Which is a bad thing, with the exception that through my experience Google Now's voice recognition algorithms work a lot better than Siri's!
  • Reply 29 of 43
    1983 wrote: »
    That reaction from Jaguar is worrying. Makes me think that in the end all of these so-called Apple partners in the motor industry will, in the end get cold feet and use Google's alternative instead. Which is a bad thing, with the exception that through my experience Google Now's voice recognition algorithms work a lot better than Siri's!

1) Does Jaguar use QNX?

2) It's not so dire that Jaguar will likely use one of the other. It's possible they (and others) will get paid large sums of money from Google or MS to only support certain UI overlays but most will likely support any and all mobile OSes that use the standard system for overlaying their UI.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    PS: Why do customer service people always 'apologize for the inconvenience'? Does research actually tell them that, for the customer, it amounts to something more than annoying, irritating, boilerplate corporate pap?!

I'm certainly not a fan of it. It's not their fault I'm just one of an endless number of people they deal with so I don't think neither want nor believe their apology. However, since there job to resolve questions and concerns I want them to focus on that. I'd rather them say "Let me see what i can do for you." That still a boilerplate line but it tells me they are looking for a solution instead of just trying to coddle me, which I find highly insulting.

I especially hate when a CSR picks up after being on hold to go through some diatribe before I can speak. Make it simple, "My name is <name>, what can I help you with?"
  • Reply 31 of 43
    solipsismx wrote: »
    robertsm wrote: »
    Will any of these allow me to use iTunes Radio without using my data?

Is that a serious question?
    Heh heh.

On a vaguely related point, I have what is perhaps a dumb question: why is it that no one has been able to figure out a way to use radio broadcasting channels --  FM or AM -- for data/wifi?

They have been doing that for years -- it's called Muzak * or elevator music. It is standard broadcast AM or FM radio with a the ability to recognize a special signal to sleep/wake the presentation of the audio (eliminating the commercials).

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzak_Holdings

TV broadcasts have similar signals that bookend commercial time slots -- so the affiliates can substitute their own local commercials at maximum volume :\

Over the years various radio and TV manufacturers (Motorola?) and inventors (including my dad) built circuits that would mute or lower the sound on commercials .... AIR the advertisers and networks lobbied the FCC -- who then ruled that this was illegal except for the Muzak arrangement.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

BTW, those that don't want to buy a new head unit will probably be able to use an iPad Mini that is hacked to show CarPlay on the main display. Just a hunch but it doesn't seem like a major feat to get that to work.

Good idea. A cellular mini hacked to shows CP sounds cool.

• Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Heh heh.

On a vaguely related point, I have what is perhaps a dumb question: why is it that no one has been able to figure out a way to use radio broadcasting channels --  FM or AM -- for data/wifi?

Mostly because that spectrum is licensed to specific operators by the FCC, using 5,000+ watt transmitters.  Sure, there are the dinky things you can get for your car that transmit (badly) on unused spectrum to get your iPod output to a radio-only stereo, but they have to be such low wattage that they are terrible.  Plus, as someone said before, in order to get a signal with that frequency to propagate correctly, you would need an antenna that is several times the size of the device.

Example:  A radio transmitting at 90.5 Mhz (right in the middle of the FM band) needs an antenna that is 15.53 inches in length, and the signal would suck because it's a 1/8 wavelength antenna.  In order to go for a more optimized 1/2 wavelength, you'd need an antenna that is almost as tall as an adult.

• Reply 34 of 43
    maestro64 wrote: »
    This a good thing if the major radio brand are incorporating this technologies. The after Market Radio Deck industries was on the verge of disappearing until this. We were almost at the point where people saw no value in a radio on the car since they were playing music and such from their own devices. If this takes off Apple may have breathed new lift into a dying industry.

The only issue most cars today have proprietary radios and putting in an aftermarket radio is almost impossible. These are geared toward the older lower end car which still use the standard DIN Radio inserts. But Auto companies are not designing their radios today, they farm the work out to companies like Pioneer and such, so this is just the first step before making it way into a car. I just wish Ford would drop its deal with MS, their product such and has issues.

It is a bit OT, but it is interesting to look at the history of in-car infotainment systems:

Aside: In the late 1930s, my Dad owned a one-man radio shop that repaired radios -- the popular in-home entertainment of that era. After WWII, my Dad went to work for the local Pontiac dealership -- modifying, interfacing and installing radios into cars.

The designer stereos available in today’s cars—be they luxury sedans or cheap sporty coupes—have 80 years of development behind them. Here’s a look at the landmark advancements in car radios that evolved into today’s iPod hookups and satellite radio.

• 1930: First Commercial In-Car Radio

The Galvin brothers’ expensive $130 unit (a Model A Deluxe coupe cost $540) was the first commercially successful car radio, and the first product to wear the Motorola name.

• 1952: First Radio With FM

AM was the undisputed king of the airwaves in 1952, but that didn’t stop Blaupunkt from introducing the first in-car FM radio.

• 1953: Becker Mexico Introduced

Becker’s iconic Mexico radio launched this year, arguably the first premium in-car radio. It had AM/FM and the first fully automatic station-search button.

• 1955: First “Music On Demand”

Starting in 1955, Chrysler offered a small turntable in its high-end cars, playing proprietary seven-inch records with about 45 minutes of music. It was a bust.

• 1963: First All-Transistor Radio

A number of manufacturers introduced transistors to their aftermarket car radios in the early 1960s, but Becker’s Monte Carlo was the first to be fully “solid state”—no vacuum tubes.

• 1965: First Eight-Track Tape Player

Predecessor to the cassette, the eight-track was a loser from the start and was dead by the early ’80s. Ford and Motorola jointly introduced in-car eight-track players this year.

• 1969: First Stereo

Becker’s Europa was the first in-car stereo setup, with the tuner amplifying two channels instead of one.

• 1970–1977: Cassette-Tape Players

The rollout of cassettes allowed for one of mankind’s greatest achievements: the mix tape. This development also heralded the creation of branded aftermarket cassette-tape players from Alpine and Pioneer, among others.

• 1982: Bose Becomes First Premium Stereo System

Bose and GM’s Delco teamed up to offer the first “designer” stereo system. Bose sank money into car-specific development; rather than just producing an expensive head unit, it was marketing the entire system to Oldsmobile, Buick, and Cadillac shoppers.

• 1985: First Factory-Installed In-Dash CD Player

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-history-of-car-radios
  • Reply 35 of 43
    It is a bit OT, but it is interesting to look at the history of in-car infotainment systems:

Aside: In the late 1930s, my Dad owned a one-man radio shop that repaired radios -- the popular in-home entertainment of that era. After WWII, my Dad went to work for the local Pontiac dealership -- modifying, interfacing and installing radios into cars.

The designer stereos available in today’s cars—be they luxury sedans or cheap sporty coupes—have 80 years of development behind them. Here’s a look at the landmark advancements in car radios that evolved into today’s iPod hookups and satellite radio.

• 1930: First Commercial In-Car Radio

The Galvin brothers’ expensive $130 unit (a Model A Deluxe coupe cost $540) was the first commercially successful car radio, and the first product to wear the Motorola name.

• 1952: First Radio With FM

AM was the undisputed king of the airwaves in 1952, but that didn’t stop Blaupunkt from introducing the first in-car FM radio.

• 1953: Becker Mexico Introduced

Becker’s iconic Mexico radio launched this year, arguably the first premium in-car radio. It had AM/FM and the first fully automatic station-search button.

• 1955: First “Music On Demand”

Starting in 1955, Chrysler offered a small turntable in its high-end cars, playing proprietary seven-inch records with about 45 minutes of music. It was a bust.

• 1963: First All-Transistor Radio

A number of manufacturers introduced transistors to their aftermarket car radios in the early 1960s, but Becker’s Monte Carlo was the first to be fully “solid state”—no vacuum tubes.

• 1965: First Eight-Track Tape Player

Predecessor to the cassette, the eight-track was a loser from the start and was dead by the early ’80s. Ford and Motorola jointly introduced in-car eight-track players this year.

• 1969: First Stereo

Becker’s Europa was the first in-car stereo setup, with the tuner amplifying two channels instead of one.

• 1970–1977: Cassette-Tape Players

The rollout of cassettes allowed for one of mankind’s greatest achievements: the mix tape. This development also heralded the creation of branded aftermarket cassette-tape players from Alpine and Pioneer, among others.

• 1982: Bose Becomes First Premium Stereo System

Bose and GM’s Delco teamed up to offer the first “designer” stereo system. Bose sank money into car-specific development; rather than just producing an expensive head unit, it was marketing the entire system to Oldsmobile, Buick, and Cadillac shoppers.

• 1985: First Factory-Installed In-Dash CD Player

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-history-of-car-radios

OK what is an Eight-Track player? Kidding ... but they never made it to UK thank heavens.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How is putting buttons on the steering wheel (and as a knob in center console) close to your hands natural resting areas a bad thing?

Speaking for myself only, the buttons on a steering wheel are mixture and easily miss hit etc. Yes, volume works ok, but FM selection or station selection etc... nope. And they have cruise control, voice calling etc all in a toggle. Im not too bright and never use these function that often so I would need to look down. Never used a center knob in the console but I think, correct me if Im wrong, a person will visually need to look to see where they are at on the screen.

As opposed to the clear, no fuzz clarity of touch feel and function of the buttons on the standard car radio of yesteryear...(actually just 5-10 years ago)... with a little use,  I knew/know, just by touch and feel,  exactly where the station presets buttons are, exactly which is the FM/AM selection button, exactly where the volume is, exactly the mode selection of radio/cd/aux is. Price of progress I guess.  In aircraft cockpit design this is one of the first things I was taught. Different buttons for different function so the pilot can feel the switch. It function would have a different switch type. Google cockpit pictures and might be able to see that. On newer aircraft however, it is tending to go more 'flat'... oh well, out with the old in with the new.

• Reply 37 of 43

Speaking for myself only, the buttons on a steering wheel are mixture and easily miss hit etc. Yes, volume works ok, but FM selection or station selection etc... nope. And they have cruise control, voice calling etc all in a toggle. Im not too bright and never use these function that often so I would need to look down. Never used a center knob in the console but I think, correct me if Im wrong, a person will visually need to look to see where they are at on the screen.
    As opposed to the clear, no fuzz clarity of touch feel and function of the buttons on the standard car radio of yesteryear...(actually just 5-10 years ago)... with a little use,  I knew/know, just by touch and feel,  exactly where the station presets buttons are, exactly which is the FM/AM selection button, exactly where the volume is, exactly the mode selection of radio/cd/aux is. Price of progress I guess.  In aircraft cockpit design this is one of the first things I was taught. Different buttons for different function so the pilot can feel the switch. It function would have a different switch type. Google cockpit pictures and might be able to see that. On newer aircraft however, it is tending to go more 'flat'... oh well, out with the old in with the new.

OK, I see what you mean. The only negative experience I have with my car is hitting the End Call button accidentally whilst driving but I can see how needing to look at the screen at all can be distracting. I think the solution is better voice activation, which is something Google should be able to best Apple at with their current state of Siri and Google Now, but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has a big demonstration on Siri improvements that include Eyes Free usage with CarPlay in iOS 8.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Heh heh.

AM and FM radio spectrum is currently a broadcast medium. The radio station transmits the programming and your radio receives it. It's not a two-way path.

That said, there is an IEEE standard (802.22) for Wireless Regional Area Networks (WRAN), which uses the radio spectrum allocated to broadcast TV which is not in use in an area, to create what will operate like a large wifi network. It's intended to provide DSL like speeds to sparsely populated rural areas, which would be too expensive to wire for broadband.

Each WRAN 'hotspot' could cover a distance of up to 30km or more from the radio location. That's a large area.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.22
  • Reply 39 of 43
    I had written to Jaguar USA asking if CarPlay will be available in 2015 models. Here's the reply I got -- bloody disappointing, despite all the fanfare a few weeks ago!
    ----
    Dear ****,

Thank you for contacting Jaguar Land Rover North America LLC.

I appreciate your interest in Jaguar. I apologize, but at this time we have not been advised on whether or not Apple CarPlay will be available in our future models. We have not been given any information on the late 2014 or 2015 model vehicles. It is certainly a feature that we are considering. If you have not already done so, you may want to visitwww.jaguarusa.com and choose 'Stay Informed' at the bottom of the page. This will ensure you receive the most up to date information on our products as it becomes available. I apologize for the inconvenience.

If you have any other questions or require additional information, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-4-JAGUAR, option 9.

Regards,

Customer Relationship Center Representative

Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC

'Apologise for the inconvenience' has got to be the most hateful phrase of all time.
  • Reply 40 of 43

Be aware, though, that Apple have tailored CarPlay to work with real buttons. It's therefore up to the car manufacturer whether to have them or not.