Apple to partner with Shazam for song recognition in iOS 8, report says

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    You should look at the link I provided Soli. You don't really understand what Google AllAccess offers. iRadio lacks many of its features, as well it should as it doesn't cost as much. As for your "stealing" comment you pay $10/mo for the service. It may certainly be a steal but its not stealing.

So you lose the tracks when you stop paying for the service? That means it's not adding to your "personal library" anymore than bookmarking a YouTube video adds that video to your library. This sounds like the same old rented music system that has never been successful in the past. For that price I think Apple's iTunes Match solution is considerably better for the average person.
  • Reply 62 of 86
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,566member
    You didn't read the link did you?
  • Reply 63 of 86
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    You should look at the link I provided Soli. You don't really understand what Google AllAccess offers. Its more of a Spotify combined with Pandora with some added value.

iRadio lacks many of its features, as well it should as it doesn't cost as much. As for your "stealing" comment you pay $10/mo for the service. It may certainly be a steal but its not stealing.

Anyway I'm not promoting AllAccess. My original comment was prompted by charlituna feeling $25 a month was a fair price for an ad-free streaming service.

Don't care, I don't want Google to track me.

Google free and proud of it.
  • Reply 64 of 86
    Let me guess. You use Bing and think they don't. That's kinda cute.

So back on topic folks in general are increasingly less willing to pay for music. I've no idea how the industry can wrest back control of their own future. $20 and more for a subscription is going to fail IMO and all-you-can-eat streaming seriously cut into individual song/album purchases.
  • Reply 65 of 86
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/41955/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Good riddance to bad rubbish, I feel liberated, liberated and it's mostly thanks to guys like Gatorguy.
  • Reply 66 of 86
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    I've been hoping this feature would come to iOS natively. Great to hear it maybe in the works for iOS 8.
  • Reply 67 of 86
    hill60 wrote: »

Good riddance to bad rubbish, I feel liberated, liberated and it's mostly thanks to guys like Gatorguy.

Hear, hear!
  • Reply 68 of 86
    You didn't read the link did you?

I did read the page.
  • Reply 69 of 86

You're welcome. And you thought there was no way out...:D

Hint of the day: You can still use the several Android phones you have without a Google account. Might not be pretty but still usable.
  • Reply 70 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You're welcome. And you thought there was no way out...image

Hint of the day: You can still use the several Android phones you have without a Google account. Might not be pretty but still usable.

The S4 is useful for propping up a rickety table.

• Reply 71 of 86
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    No doubt tho that lots of folks are happy with free streaming radio like iRadio and Pandora, something Google oddly doesn't offer.

What I find odd is that they have a service that people need to pay for. I thought with Google everything was free? Do they have other paid services?
  • Reply 72 of 86

What an inspiring post! Strangely they didn't ask me why I wanted to delete my account. Perhaps because I wasn't using it in the first place(?)

• Reply 73 of 86
    philboogie wrote: »
    What I find odd is that they have a service that people need to pay for. I thought with Google everything was free? Do they have other paid services?
    Yup.
  • Reply 74 of 86

Google has a lot of paid services. I use their services for business email. Using their robust backend for email to my private domain is a great solution and it costs less than $5/month which includes all their business apps, which I don't want. I could run my own email server would be too costly and time consuming.
  • Reply 75 of 86
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Maybe a dedicated music recognition button on Siri screen?

Maybe, though that would result in the method via Siri not being any faster than going to the Shazam or Soundhound app. I really hope it's via music detection. Just activate Siri via the home button and start listening/analyzing.

• Reply 76 of 86
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Google has a lot of paid services. I use their services for business email. Using their robust backend for email to my private domain is a great solution and it costs less than $5/month which includes all their business apps, which I don't want. I could run my own email server would be too costly and time consuming.

I had a talk with Kasper the other day and he explained to me the reason this site uses Gmail instead of their own domain: Googles' handeling of spam is way better than one could setup and maintain themselves.

I've been reading up on Googles initiatives and products today. They got a lot more going for them and seem to be busier than a one-legged man in a kick fight.
  • Reply 77 of 86
    I had a talk with Kasper the other day and he explained to me the reason this site uses Gmail instead of their own domain: Googles' handeling of spam is way better than one could setup and maintain themselves.

I've been reading up on Googles initiatives and products today. They got a lot more going for them and seem to be busier than a one-legged man in a kick fight.

1) I hadn't realized AI uses Gmail for mail but it makes sense. Secure, fast, reliable and inexpensive.

2) I don't know of any other service that is better than Google when dealing with spam. I still get some spam from iCloud and I think their server-side spam filter is pretty good these days.
  • Reply 78 of 86
    solipsismx wrote: »
    [^ post]

I've never received spam over my .mac address. Then again, I'm very picky on handing it out. I do get an occasional spam thorough my ISP email account, but they always fix it the same day. They've been like the best ISP over here for more than 10 years or something.

Still, no fiber available yet, even though the freaking cable runs right through the front of my house for over a year now! Okay, OT, but still(!)
  • Reply 79 of 86
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Maybe a dedicated music recognition button on Siri screen?

Sort of like how Cortana works on Windows Phone...  Cortana already has this power :). In fact, this feature has been part of Windows Phone since like 3 years ago.

• Reply 80 of 86
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google's service is entirely different than iRadio. Besides genre stations you can choose to listen to any specific track or album Google Music offers, add anything in their catalog to your personal library at no additional charge, set-up your own custom playlists ( My fav is tracks I've given a "thumbs-up which are added automatically to a playlist), no skip limits, etc. . . . iRadio is quite limited in comparison.

https://play.google.com/about/music/allaccess/#/

No doubt tho that lots of folks are happy with free streaming radio like iRadio and Pandora, something Google oddly doesn't offer.

I haven't looked to deeply at your link, but, this sounds about the same as Xbox Music.  $10 bucks a month for unlimited access to the catalog (both streaming and download), playlists, collection match, radio stations, etc.  Last I looked Xbox music had a bigger catalog than Google.  I think the only missing feature from Xbox Music that I would like to see added (and I hear is in the works) is the music locker -the ability to add your own music that isn't in the collection.