New photos purport to show Apple's next-gen iPad Air with bonded display

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    ignomini wrote: »
    Obviously, I'm in a very small minority on the bezel thing. Guess it's just me.
    Well, I'm in agreement. I think the bezel was helpful and I kinda struggle with the thin bezel on the air. Most of the time I have the Apple leather cover on it and that makes it worse IMO. When I use it for extended periods I take the cover off. I don't have a problem with accidental button presses but I find covering the screen with my thumb necessitates constant 're-grips'. Bezel reduction was inevitable, however.

(It was the very whiny tone of your initial comment that got people here fired up, not the fact that you prefer the wider bezel)
  • Reply 42 of 65
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    pmz wrote: »
    That's some setup. Sounds like my house. Except I'm much happier having AppleTV than Mac mini as media center. My Mac mini is in my office for work, and as long as I keep iTunes running, AppleTV never fails me.
    I am considering getting a mini to replace my old mb. I have a large monitor at the office and at home I could use the 27" iMac as a monitor. Generally the iPad suffices at home or when moving about.
  • Reply 43 of 65
    Been using the Air since day one, that's why I'm not pleased. "Smart enough to know..." nope. With iOS7 scattering buttons all around the periphery of the device, I get accidental button hits all the time.

I have had the Air since Day One, and I have not experienced "accidental button hits all the time." Once or twice, but I quickly got the hang of it. The narrow form factor actually makes it possible for me to hold in one stretched out hand. Not comfortable, but possible. (Maybe Fandroid phablets will get this big someday LOL.) So YMMV, but it's not a problem everyone has. The Mini also had these thin bezels, so this isn't a new thing.

I just tested it by consciously holding my thumb over different spots where the old thick bezel would be (my thumb partially obscures the screen now), and the iPad ignored my thumb. It seems like if your finger's contact area overlaps the bezel, the iPad won't register a press or hold. There might be some fuzzy logic involved in accidental touch rejection.
  • Reply 44 of 65
    I don't see why Apple keeps trying to improve on the iPad.  All consumers really want are $200 plastic Android tablets.  It's already been shown that Apple's iPad is losing market share because consumers refuse to pay for overpriced tablets.  Wall Street has predicted that Apple is going to have a horrible quarter concerning iPad sales.  Supposedly, Apple's iPad business is going down the tubes because every company except Apple sells tablets for half the price of an iPad and are nearly as good if not better hardware-wise.  Apple doesn't seem to realize those good old days of being able to put an Apple logo on a product and selling it for double the price are over.  Even Intel intends to flood the market with low-cost mobile processors for Android tablets with the sole purpose of putting Apple out of business.  No one appreciates how Apple has changed the world, but low prices are everything.

LOL. You forgot the /s.
  • Reply 45 of 65
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

LOL. You forgot the /s.

I've taken to reading C. Odo's posts using Eeyore's voice, in my head...

(with apologies to both)

• Reply 46 of 65
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Blew my credibility because I felt Apple's new halo product got shorted a highly anticipated feature? Interesting.

You don't have the device, but know I'm being whiney. No doubt you are fat and ugly, even though I have no idea what you look like. Does that sound reasonable?

I find myself constantly changing seating locations to get away from glare with the iPad. The MBA screen is far better in this regard. They don't have to go with a matte screen, just some form of glare reduction.

Their new "halo product" was actually the difficult fingerprint sensor, along with the processor it took to drive it. Sorry to go off on you, but the lack of technical realism gets old around here.

They took a tremendous risk putting it on the phone as it was, not having mass tested it. So you have to wait a year, big deal.

I guess you didn't like the practical solution of putting your iPad in a case, instead of calling for them to give you wider margins. See what I mean? It's all about "me" with you guys.
  • Reply 47 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Their new "halo product" was actually the difficult fingerprint sensor, along with the processor it took to drive it. Sorry to go off on you, but the lack of technical realism gets old around here.

They took a tremendous risk putting it on the phone as it was, not having mass tested it. So you have to wait a year, big deal.

I guess you didn't like the practical solution of putting your iPad in a case, instead of calling for them to give you wider margins. See what I mean? It's all about "me" with you guys.

You guys crack me up. The "practical" solution is putting it in a crappy plastic case...sorry, but no. You would then have the size and weight of an iPad2, but no extended battery life. Not the best solution in my book.

Also, the A7 processor is not a halo product, it is a component of a halo product. Bit of a difference there. You could call it a halo feature, like touch ID. Apple touted the A7 for good reasons, but it's not "the product." They also touted the halo iPad Air, but left out a halo feature.

Didn't want to wait a year because the life of my iPad3 battery was falling off to the point it was no longer an all day device. Apple can announce new products whenever they want. I've merry expressed the opinion they should have waited until the touch sensor was ready.

Product design, by it's very nature, is a selfish concept. each buyer of a product wants it to suit "me." Why would I want something which doesn't suit to "me." In this one particular case, the design turns out to be poorly suited to this individual user. Maybe I should have tried a Mini first, but that is another product which does not appeal to "me." Am I being selfish because I prefer Ford to Chevy. You need to rethink your definition of selfish.

One last question. Have you never wished something had been designed differently, perhaps to suit your needs? Having you never been willing to express your opinion on that score? If not, you deserve to continue getting poor solutions. In my own business, we don't react to every single customer input, but over the years, individual comments have had a profound effect on some of our products. And in case you're wondering, responding to individual feedback has worked for us 65 years and counting.

• Reply 48 of 65
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Add Touch ID (and user profiles via iOS 8) and ship it.  8-)

• Reply 49 of 65
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Maybe if they bond the screen to the glass that will get rid of the slightly hollow sound you get when tapping on the newer devices.
  • Reply 50 of 65
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Great. The same too narrow bezel, and no doubt they'll slim it down and retain the same battery life, which was so impressive four years ago. Oh, and heaven forbid they do something to reduce glare.

Apple, for those of us who want something more useable, and are willing to pay for it, please make a device the same size and weight as an iPad 2, with better battery life and bezels wide enough that you're not constantly hitting buttons by mistake, or trying to prop it up in your lap so the bottom of the screen is actually visible.

I hate this form factor. The touch ID, which should have been on the current model, is nice but not enough to warrant buying one.

I feel for you.

Bezels can be bizarre and confounding things to use.

Submit feedback to Apple requesting they remove them entirely from the next model.

(Snigger)
  • Reply 51 of 65
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gtr wrote: »
    I feel for you.

Bezels can be bizarre and confounding things to use.

Submit feedback to Apple requesting they remove them entirely from the next model.

(Snigger)

Is there a Ouija board app for the IPad? If so I think some of these people are dealing with gremlins or perhaps a demon that goes by the name Bezelzebub.
  • Reply 52 of 65

Product design, by it's very nature, is a selfish concept. each buyer of a product wants it to suit "me." Why would I want something which doesn't suit to "me." In this one particular case, the design turns out to be poorly suited to this individual user. Maybe I should have tried a Mini first, but that is another product which does not appeal to "me." Am I being selfish because I prefer Ford to Chevy. You need to rethink your definition of selfish.

One last question. Have you never wished something had been designed differently, perhaps to suit your needs? Having you never been willing to express your opinion on that score? If not, you deserve to continue getting poor solutions. In my own business, we don't react to every single customer input, but over the years, individual comments have had a profound effect on some of our products. And in case you're wondering, responding to individual feedback has worked for us 65 years and counting.

A different point of view. I'm of the "all designs are compromises" school, and it just depends on one's level of tolerance for the shortcomings. Jobs said that all products "are packages of emphasis." Some things have to be left out that you wish you could include.

My iPad mini retina goes everywhere with me, so I have it in a case that adds size and weight for the sake of the glass and the aluminum. I wish I could use it naked.

The closest thing I have to your complaint is iOS 7, which I have no affection for at all. None. In fact I dislike it. It hurts my eyes. But I don't say anything about it except to make a point like this because I think they might be on to some goal that's not clear yet. So I figure it's best to take the good with the bad and withhold condemning it in a public forum. They don't need the distraction from us in the peanut gallery while they sort out what they're doing. If I could talk privately to someone in OSes at Apple, it might be a different story, and I'd be full of annoying advice.
  • Reply 53 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

LOL. You forgot the /s.

I'm planning to start a petition for Constable Odo to seek medical help. There is something very sad about his posts. It's not like troll posts. It's just that all his posts seem to be a cry for help.

I just can't bring myself to block him...

• Reply 54 of 65
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

" I wish I could use it naked."

You can, but I suggest you don't leave the house and keep the curtains drawn.

• Reply 55 of 65
    dsd wrote: »
    " I wish I could use it naked."

You can, but I suggest you don't leave the house and keep the curtains drawn.

I've gotten some good advice from Santa Cruzeiros in the past, like from Chester Anderson and Peter Stafford, but more adventurous. Maybe those times need to come back.
  • Reply 56 of 65
    I'm planning to start a petition for Constable Odo to seek medical help. There is something very sad about his posts. It's not like troll posts. It's just that all his posts seem to be a cry for help.

I just can't bring myself to block him...

I think he's got another identity on Apple 2.0, where he's a little more civil. Not so much "in the toilet" rhetoric. Here's a sample:

Below$600AShareIsPathetic!}:-( • 14 hours ago
    How many iPads did Apple sell? Whatever the number, it won't be nearly enough to get close to Wall Street's expectations. Apple is being valued based on lack of unit sales growth and nothing more. No one on Wall Street cares about product quality or customer enjoyment. If a company can sell consumers more junk, they'll be rewarded. As long as Apple continues to build higher-quality products they'll be punished for decreased profit margins and lower sales. The economy relative to sales never enters into the picture. Apple must sell more products whether the economy is good or bad and I would say that's a major problem for Apple's value.
  • Reply 57 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Why thinner? I don't chop meat with a tablet, and if I take it anywhere, it's in a padded case that's thick enough that the presence or absence of a tiny fraction of an inch matters little.

I'd far rather have:

1. Better drop resistance built in, water resistance too.

2. A longer battery life. It's now good for a day. Make that multi-day.

The same can be said about the iPhone. Thinner is not better.

Thinner means lighter and more attractive.

1. Don't be so clumsy.

2. The battery life is outstanding, far better than any equivalent iPad wannabe.

• Reply 58 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

As I see it, Apple's still in the 'little David confronting the Goliath' mode you see in its 1984 Superbowl ad. It owns huge market shares, but forces its customers into the narrowest of product options. For instance, there are just two models of iPhones and two of iPads. Imagine a major auto maker that offered a Big Car and a Little Car.

And no, I don't want Apple to adopt the confusing array of constantly changing products that many companies have. I'd just like to see their core products come with more of the really important options. Why isn't there an iPhone 5s-Sport that is ruggedized for those who spend of a lot time outdoors? Why isn't there a MacBook Air-EL (for extended life) for those who can't afford to have the battery die on the road or during an important presentation?

Neither would require a costly design effort. The sport version of the iPhone would build a rugged MilSpec case around the existing iPhone. The MBA-EL version would simply be a bit thicker to accommodate a larger battery.  Apple could even charge a price premium for those features. And notice the host of aftermarket products to fill those needs? The market there is certainly large.

I might note that I am glad that Apple is shifting its marketing emphasis from 'young adults at play' to 'people with serious work to do.' That's good. Now they need to create a product line that fits their current size.

--Michael W. Perry, Inkling Books, Auburn, AL

The sports-adapted iPhone you describe is a niche. There are plenty of cases out there that let you customise your iPhone to your heart's content, including very rugged ones. If Apple did what you described, they would substantially increase their costs and lower their profits, which would mean more expensive iPhones for the rest of us.

• Reply 59 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Well, I'm in agreement. I think the bezel was helpful and I kinda struggle with the thin bezel on the air. Most of the time I have the Apple leather cover on it and that makes it worse IMO. When I use it for extended periods I take the cover off. I don't have a problem with accidental button presses but I find covering the screen with my thumb necessitates constant 're-grips'. Bezel reduction was inevitable, however.

(It was the very whiny tone of your initial comment that got people here fired up, not the fact that you prefer the wider bezel)

I think it was a mistake of you to go for the Apple leather case. I prefer the Smart Cover - it's less obtrusive and more flexible.

• Reply 60 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

I've taken to reading C. Odo's posts using Eeyore's voice, in my head...

(with apologies to both)

Apologies only needed for Eeyore.