Apple, Inc. and the pursuit of affordable luxury electronics

Comments

• Reply 161 of 270
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I'm not familiar with Handbrake.

Really? Shocking. Spectacular software.

It would take Apple about 3 years to fully refresh everything and that would help in all aspects including iTunes sales.

Hmm. Why? They could have the appropriate hardware out in… oh, you mean three years before their entire actively sold lineup is compatible. Bah, silly.

…you can hear an improvement…

Now you’ve done it. ;)

• Reply 162 of 270
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Really? Shocking. Spectacular software.

Handbrake developers probably won't be keen on supporting H.265 until WinPCs start getting HW support for it.
    Hmm. Why? They could have the appropriate hardware out in… oh, you mean three years before their entire actively sold lineup is compatible. Bah, silly.

With Apple only updating the iPod line, including the iPod Touch every two years lets hope that is this year.
  • Reply 163 of 270
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I hadn't considered that side of it but I think that's a good analogy. Buying a band T-shirt at $30 always seemed ridiculous. They want you pay an inflated price to advertise for them but their loyal members are happy to do it because they identify with them in some way. I don't go so far as to obfuscate the Apple logo on my MBP like on a TV show but I am not going to put one of their stickers on my car.

Is that loyalty — which I see as at least a semi-bond commitment — or simply a longterm relationship that has worked out well for both you and Apple. As previously stated, I'm likely going to buy another Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV because Apple has a history of producing the products that fit my needs, but I will jump to another company without looking back if they produce something that fits my needs better. I have zero allegiance or devotion to any company. They get their dues when I agree to purchase one of their products. That's it for me.

The problem with mixing platforms is the products don't always work well together, which is important to a lot of users.   Example.  If I have my desktop/laptop, iPhone, iPad when i have ANY issues on any combination, I have one phone number to call and they help me.  If my computer was a Wintel, my phone was an Android and i had an iPad, I would be, as they say SCREWED, GLUED and TATTOOED.  It's a LOT harder for one company to help resolve issues when you have two or three different platforms combined in the mix.  Apple does the best they can in supporting Apple products in conjunction with other platforms, but since they don't make the other platforms, it's not so easy, same rules apply with Microsoft and Google/Android mfg.  They just do best with supporting the products they make and it's getting more and more difficult as time goes on, especially as the OSs get their sporadic updates.  At least Apple, i know to expect a major release to OS X and iOS once a year and bug fixes about every 3 months during that year and they fix things quicker than anyone else does.  I know they don't have every conceivable feature in the world, but I don't need a lot of the features another product has if it's not done well.  I can live without two pages on the iPad screen, but I'm sure Apple will eventually have it, they just want to make sure it works, whereas the other implementations may not have been that great.  I've just grown to accept Apple's shortcomings, because the benefits far out way their shortcomings.  It's a trade off.  I would hate to have to wait for a year to get a bug fix to OS X or iOS and then find out that I might get data loss.  That's what happened with Windows 8 to 8.1, and it's scary as hell to find out about that problem for those users.  Plus I have enough to learn about what I have and having multiple platforms to learn about is just not a time efficient way of administering my computing products.  I have enough on my plate as is with one company/platform.  Plus, I know that when I call AppleCare, they answer the phone in 2 minutes EVERY SINGLE TIME!!  YEAH!!!! That rocks. 

No, I don't put Apple Stickers on my car or anything.  I'm not that type of person, but I will wholeheartedly recommend their products to friends as I see them struggling with other platforms.

• Reply 164 of 270
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Did we forget that Apple priced the initial iPhone way to high and slashed the price substantially a few months later (to the dismay of the people who bought it for the original price)?
    Did Steve Balmer refer to the original price of the iPhone?
    The iPad was priced relatively low because a marked had to be created.
  • Reply 165 of 270
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

And Apple fans back in the day were defending the pricing just as Apple fans defend Apple's pricing today.  Are you saying the Apple defenders were being disingenuous back then?

And so your assertion is that the selling price of a Mac does not include anything other than the cost to build the hardware.  Got it!  But wait, what about all the backlash from Apple fans whenever someone compares Mac prices with PC prices?  Or when companies like iSuppli publish articles about how much each component in various Apple products cost, and deriving Apple's margins based on that?

But we all know what Apple fans say in response to these comparisons.  It just means that Apple fans are being arbitrary in trashing Sculley over Mac prices while defending Steve when he basically does the same thing - despite having originally opposed it.  Somehow Apple fans have the idea that "premium pricing for premium product" is Steve idea, even though it was really Sculley's, as Andy Hertzfeld wrote.  Every argument that Apple fans give today in defense of Apple's higher Mac prices compared to PC's could just as easily be used to defend Sculley at the time.  The only difference is that Sculley is not Steve, which by definition makes Sculley wrong.  Only Steve makes a good decision, even when Sculley already made it years earlier.  It's like Apple fans want to blame someone for Apple's higher prices, while defending it at the same time.

Haggar, that's horrible!

• Reply 166 of 270
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Steve wasn't the type of personality to sit back and watch. He absolutely wanted to save Apple.

I recall two key reasons Amelio chose NeXT over Be:

1. NeXT had mature TCP stack and was fully multiuser, mostly because it already inherited those things from BSD Unix. BeOS was more of a from-scratch OS, so it's TCP and multiuser features were immature.

2. NextStep promised a richer (and mature) app construction toolchain. BeOS relied on GCC and makefiles, and if you wanted an IDE, you had to buy Metrowerks CodeWarrior.

Wasn't another reason why he chose NeXT was because the BeOS guy simply walked in assuming he already won and had nothing to demo/ present?

• Reply 167 of 270
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    haggar wrote: »
    I agree wholeheartedly.  People complaining about DED should take a look at his credentials:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/resume.html

These complainers should be ashamed that they dare dispute a man who has:

"A decade of experience in technical consulting or employment in information technology, recognized by the University of California to be equivalent to a Master’s Degree in Computer Science."
    Ha ha.
  • Reply 168 of 270
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric38 View Post

Apple's new iPhone, the Veblen. Doesn't Apple's domination of the smartphone market tell you something about the iPhone's price elasticity. Heck, it's absolutely astonishing, given the likelihood that Apple will sell 75million iPhones at around an ASP of $650, while the S4 (which IMO is identical to the S5) will be had for $250.

I think every single analyst has underestimated how big a boon the 6 will be to iPhone sales. The size disadvantage that the iPhone has endured will be no more. No more consumers walking through a carrier's door, comparing an iPhone side-by-side with a larger screened phone, and walking out with an Android.

Couple the absolutely horrible upgrade Samsung just released with the soon-to-be nixed advantage of having the only desired larger phone, and I see a bunch of coals in Samsung's stockings this Xmas.

An unlocked S4 is $250?  I see them on Amazon for unlocked S4's for about $420 for international version with 16GB w/o warranty.

Yeah, the ~5inch iPhone 6 will sell like hotcakes.  I'll be one of the first in line for one since my iPhone 4 is over two years old.  I think it might sell a good 75 Million, and then an upgraded 6S to replace the 5S will still sell well, and then a 5.5 will sell OK, but that's a smaller market.  I think they might as well pump one out because the Android platform sold around 15 Million 5.5 inch models worldwide and growing.

The Samsung S5 isn't doing well probably because of the hype around the iPhone 6 and that the S5 isn't 64 bit.  I mean, I would buy a high end model unless it was 64 bit, not at this stage in the game.  I know we don't necessarily NEED 64 bit, but it just means that it will be useful as more apps are converted to 64 bit as time goes on.

I think it's going to be interesting to see what really happens and when.  But Apple still needs to crank up the yearly production from 180 Million units to over 200 Million and have the majority the higher end models with at least 2 different screen sizes representing 75% of their total output.  I think the Android platform might eventually just end up being cheaper, 32 Bit products that don't make any profit.  I think Samsung is scared out of their minds over that possibility.

I think Microsoft was smart in releasing Office for iOS.  it's about time.  I wonder how many downloads there have been between Office for iOS vs Android.  I think that would be good indicator of the percentage of business users of the Android platform vs the iOS platform. I doubt kids will download it since it's not a social media app or a game.  :-)

• Reply 169 of 270
    drblank wrote: »
    An unlocked S4 is $250?  I see them on Amazon for unlocked S4's for about $420 for international version with 16GB w/o warranty.

Yeah, the ~5inch iPhone 6 will sell like hotcakes.  I'll be one of the first in line for one since my iPhone 4 is over two years old.  I think it might sell a good 75 Million, and then an upgraded 6S to replace the 5S will still sell well, and then a 5.5 will sell OK, but that's a smaller market.  I think they might as well pump one out because the Android platform sold around 15 Million 5.5 inch models worldwide and growing.

The Samsung S5 isn't doing well probably because of the hype around the iPhone 6 and that the S5 isn't 64 bit.  I mean, I would buy a high end model unless it was 64 bit, not at this stage in the game.  I know we don't necessarily NEED 64 bit, but it just means that it will be useful as more apps are converted to 64 bit as time goes on.

I think it's going to be interesting to see what really happens and when.  But Apple still needs to crank up the yearly production from 180 Million units to over 200 Million and have the majority the higher end models with at least 2 different screen sizes representing 75% of their total output.  I think the Android platform might eventually just end up being cheaper, 32 Bit products that don't make any profit.  I think Samsung is scared out of their minds over that possibility.

I think Microsoft was smart in releasing Office for iOS.  it's about time.  I wonder how many downloads there have been between Office for iOS vs Android.  I think that would be good indicator of the percentage of business users of the Android platform vs the iOS platform. I doubt kids will download it since it's not a social media app or a game.  :-)

No one cares about 64bit but you guys. The reason the S5 will bomb (hopefully) is because people aren't as loyal to them as they'd like you to believe. The Samsung flagships are bloated Pieces of S that have features most people don't care about. The reason the S line has been fading is because the 3 was pretty damn good for what it was and a lot of people saw no reason to upgrade to the 4. The 5 may actually benefit from that but I don't expect it to. My little sister bought the 3 and for her it's fine.

Apple has loyalists. Not just people who appreciate it. If I were an iPhone user and iOS dan id buy a new oneevery year. S and base. Because the phone itself is sexy. The phone itself feels high end. The phone itself even minus software is worth the upgrade. And it pays for itself anyways. I can't imagine buying a Samsung phone or any android that isn't a nexus. And depending how this N6 goes I may see myself with a five inch iPhone anyways.

I may have had a point but the point I'm trying to make is that Samsung isn't even in the same league as Apple. Hell, no Android phone is except the M8 but htc dropped the ball early and lost leverage to the company that severely cheapened Android (don't interject here) by making it officially an iOS clone.

The fact that all these articles exist comparing the two even in disgust shocks me. It's like comparing a student film to an Oscar winner. Evolutionary biology to creationism. It's a false dichotomy.

Samsung sucks.
  • Reply 170 of 270
    Aiight I'm going to be in moderation hell forever while random trolls pop up daily to spew bullshit huh?
  • Reply 171 of 270
    knowitall wrote: »
    Did we forget that Apple priced the initial iPhone way to high and slashed the price substantially a few months later (to the dismay of the people who bought it for the original price)?

You forget that a demand curve did not exist. For anything similar. Ever. It was radical and different.

That, more than anything else, tells us why/how it was a completely new product category.
  • Reply 172 of 270
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I read recently that Sculley said he shouldn't have fired Jobs.

Personally, I wonder if being pushed out of Apple was the best thing for Steve, Apple, and the consumer in the long run.

Yes; the similarity to the Joseph story is uncanny.
  • Reply 173 of 270
    asdasd wrote: »
    I was joking about the fridge building but I do ask this.

How much can you resell for? The real cost of ownership of anything is it's maintaince costs and the cost of depreciation. The latter is important if you can't sell.

Have you read The Mosquito Coast? ????
  • Reply 174 of 270
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    How many companies have started out with a great product only for its quality to degrade over time? Yes companies earn their customers loyalty first, but continually offering a great product and service is IMO loyalty in return.

My thoughts precisely. Loyalty is a two-way street.
  • Reply 175 of 270
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I hadn't considered that side of it but I think that's a good analogy. Buying a band T-shirt at $30 always seemed ridiculous. They want you pay an inflated price to advertise for them but their loyal members are happy to do it because they identify with them in some way. I don't go so far as to obfuscate the Apple logo on my MBP like on a TV show but I am not going to put one of their stickers on my car.
    Is that loyalty — which I see as at least a semi-bond commitment — or simply a longterm relationship that has worked out well for both you and Apple. As previously stated, I'm likely going to buy another Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV because Apple has a history of producing the products that fit my needs, but I will jump to another company without looking back if they produce something that fits my needs better. I have zero allegiance or devotion to any company. They get their dues when I agree to purchase one of their products. That's it for me.

I think that's a very silly way to look at life. You seem to be saying that if Apple ships a dud, you'll jump ship. It's like saying, if you get a bad apple, you'll never eat apples again, but change to other fruit. So short-sighted!
  • Reply 176 of 270
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I'm not comparing qtrs to each other in the same fiscal year.  I compare year to year quarter to quarter.  But I think they should not put all of their eggs in one quarter.  It's cramps up production.  When Apple announces a new product, during the following 6 months is their best sales for that product and then it tapers off.  So what's happening is they are pushing their announcements to the end of the year, which helps their December quarter and flows into the March quarter, but not much happens in the June and Sept quarter because they don't really announce anything.  They would be much better off trying to stagnate product announcements more evenly.  What happens when they announce too many products at once, the average consumer gets confused as they can't comprehend everything.  It's like getting a drink of water from a firehose on full blast rather than drinking from a garden hose with a lot less pressure.  I know they are shifting producting of their desktops from China to the US, which is partly why the delays and they are shifting production through different suppliers.  I know it's a freaking nightmare to manage. but forcing all of the product announcements in one 30 day period is crazy.  it's not a good way to manage their product line.  It definitely produces a lot of stress and it shows.

I also think that woman from Burrberry needs to get off her a$$ and get over to Apple and not put her big bonus check in the way.  I think she should have moved over within 30 days from the announcement, not months later.

No offense, but you're on crack.

And I'd love to see you say that Angela Ahrendts in person.

• Reply 177 of 270
    Wasn't another reason why he chose NeXT was because the BeOS guy simply walked in assuming he already won and had nothing to demo/ present?

That sounds familiar.
  • Reply 178 of 270
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

Did we forget that Apple priced the initial iPhone way to high

No, because they didn’t.

• Reply 179 of 270
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, because they didn’t.

Totally OT, but I was looking at my original iPhone last night, actually, and I was thinking what a great piece of technology it is.  Granted, it doesn't turn on anymore, but damn, I loved that thing.

• Reply 180 of 270
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    knowitall wrote: »

The original iPhone was also not subsidized.
    drblank wrote: »
    I also think that woman from Burrberry needs to get off her a$$ and get over to Apple and not put her big bonus check in the way.  I think she should have moved over within 30 days from the announcement, not months later.
    As CEO, she was probably obligated to stay 6 months. Besides, the bonus stuff is just rumors.

Again, 35% growth rate is unsustainable. What's Amazon's or Google's growth rate? Those who want that are just money grubbers. The TV set and wearable markets are small relative to the smart phone market. In addition, the set market is a low margin affair. You're not getting 30% growth from that. In addition, wearables and TV sets aren't upgraded often. TV sets last years and I'm assuming wearables would last as long as well. My watch is almost 10 years old and my tv is 8.