Apple expands renewable energy to retail stores, 120 US outlets get green power

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I live in an apt and every once in a while these really annoying salespeople and real life spammers come around trying to get you to switch energy companies.

Last time they came around, they had the nerve to ask to see my bill. No way am I showing any bill of mine to random strangers. I don't live in a huge apt and my energy consumption is obviously not large.

One of my goals is actually to increase my carbon footprint, since I deserve to use more and I feel entitled to use more.

After a minute or two of listening to their sales pitch, they realized that they weren't going to make any headway with me, so they resorted to some nonsense about how my current energy wasn't green, and that's why I should switch. What a cheap sales tactic. As if I care about going through the hassle of switching my electric company, in order to save maybe two pennies a month, if even that. I wouldn't even be surprised if theirs was more expensive than what I currently have.

I promptly told the rude real life trolls and annoying salespeople that I do not believe in global warming, it's all a scam, and I proceeded to explain my thoughts on the subject and educate the two simpletons who so rudely had the nerve to knock on my door. I also told them that I do not mind "dirty" energy. You should have seen the looks on their faces, they were speechless. I should have grabbed an iOS device and snapped a picture of their ugly, stunned mugs.

My method worked, and I haven't been bothered again by any salespeople and scammers trying to get me to switch to "green" energy.

Next, I am hoping and praying that somebody comes around and tries to get me to sign up for Obamacare. They will be in for a rude awakening when that happens.:lol:  
    Directly from the me, myself and I school of thought.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Aren't the hippies and others revolting against the tech industry in places like San Fran now?

The tech industry is driving those people out of the city, due to increasing housing costs. I'm rooting for neither side, as I enjoy watching rich liberals battling poor liberals, it's hilarious. 

So you're mocking people by their socioeconomic status then? Do you think you have zero presence in the game because you're not poor or disgustingly wealthy? So you mock all sides to feel superior to a fight you don't comprehend?

You're a libertarian? Pro-capitalist propaganda, hoping to ride the coattails of the successful, and devoid of empathy wherever it doesn't serve you personally?

That's republican anarchism. Or republican-lite. Same as democrat corporate cronyism, while claiming to despise corporatism, and blaming democrats for creating corporatism by way of regulation (because "all regulation is bad" and we should all be subject to whatever capitalist entities see fit to subject us to, including abusing the environment, the workforce, spitting on health and ethics, because both are irrelevant to business, and generally dragging us back to the old days of industrial dystopia, where underaged children worked next to their indentured parents in lethal factories, pouring black filth all over the land 24/7, leading to burning rivers and black scum and waste flowing through the streets...).

Very common in the techno geek realm. Lots of pointing fingers at others for being so-called "entitled", while brazenly demonstrating an extreme sense of entitlement of your own, rejecting anything that might potentially wound capitalist interest (since you like to think capitalist interest is your own interest, or will be once your ship comes in any day now...).

Also common in the tech geek world is the overcompensation for childhood marginalization and bullying... feeling superior to others through tech and so-called independent thinking that isn't actually independent or unique but is actually the propaganda of other selfish antipathetic entities like corporatists and libertarians...

I'm just guessing here, based on your antisocial comments, though I could be wrong. Feel free to explain your exceptional status or not. That's your right. But your attitudes expressed here tend to be pretty self-serving in their presentation. Sometimes you have really great comments to make. This thread was not one of those times.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I want to increase my footprint, simply because I use so little right now. That's why I am entitled to use more.

Does not make any sense in a sensible world.  I don't use any cocaine, but I don't have an entitlement to go get caned.  I also don't have kids, and likewise have no entitlement.  I don't eat red meat, no one owes me any.  You don't earn brownie points from your abstention.

• Reply 24 of 27
    Isn’t this redundant? The US always uses 120 outlets! I guess Europe has to wait for Apple to renewify its 240 outlets.
    [SIZE=8px]Yes, this is my sense of humor. No, I will not apologize for it.[/SIZE]
    Well I was wondering there if it meant 120 volt or 120 of apple stores use these outlets.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

It's called green washing. The power companies are green washing their offerings to market to people that give a damn. They're not really making clean energy or focusing on renewables. They're buying "credits" from an entity that does. It's a huge whitewash campaign.

Not at all. Below is some text from a close friend's website. I think it describes what "Greenwashing" is. Using solar to feed the grid in one location and then picking up your electricity at a different location is NOT greenwashing. That is how almost all solar in the US works. If you put panels on your roof, normally, you don't use any of your own power directly. In fact, it is being pushed onto the grid all day while you are at work.The power company pays you for your power and then you buy it back at night when you are at home. It works great because you are selling high and buying low in off peak hours.

Quote: From JBS

Greenwashing happens when companies promise and don’t deliver the green services as promoted or contracted.

One example is providing recycle bins for paper, glass, aluminum so patrons separate the trash, then the facility pours it all together in a behind the scenes trash compactor and sends it to a landfill. Don’t take “green” at face value – check it out.

Things are not always as they first appear. Some large facilities makes no outward attempt at recycling, so it might be easy to assume that they do not recycle – but you could be wrong. They happen to work with a trash company that prefers to get all mixed trash and then separate it at their plant, first by mechanical means and then by hand sorting.

Greenwashing can be economic claims. “Buy our product and 5% will be donated to XYZ Green Charity”. Ask for proof of how much the company donated in their last fiscal year. You might be surprised how little or how much made it to the charity.

Greenwashing can be good intentions that do not get followed through on. How many caterers have told you “of course we donate excess food to a local food bank or relief center”? Have you ever called the charity to ask how often and how much they have received from the caterer? The answer might be surprising. Instead of asking Do you donate excess food to charity ? Ask quantifiable questions such as “How many pounds or servings do you donate on the average each month? Ask if the facility’s green efforts are summarized in the institutions annual report, and to see a copy.

• Reply 26 of 27
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

Apple may have some problems with stores in Oklahoma. Our fight wing nut of a Governor is getting ready to sign a bill that will tax the sun and wind for homes. Get a solar system or a small windmill and you get to pay a "Fee" (the GOP word for Tax) so the poor power company won't go broke.

The fee is to hook these customers to the power grid, because the power companies are required to buy back any excess power these customers generate.  Seems like a reasonable thing to ask for.   Or should we just give it to them free and buy all the power they generate even if it is not needed?  

But you cannot trust those "fight wing" nuts, can you?    

• Reply 27 of 27
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member

My home was built in '52 so all infrastructure expenses to provide power to the neighborhood has been paid for many times over.  While I don't have solar power there is at least one house in the neighborhood.  They will be grandfathered in and not pay the tax, but I would have to if I decided to install solar - something about "equal protection under the law missing there".

I certainly don't cry for the power companies - in addition to having the politicians all acting like lap dogs, they are guaranteed a profit and the Corporate Commission ensures they get it.  Having to pay "retail" for excess solar power isn't going to hurt them.  And, at times, it can be a major benefit - when you live in Tornado Alley the probability is high that there will be some major outages.  Having homes scattered around with solar, wind or even home generators delivering power can reduce urgency in some areas.  Especially when there are medical issues involved in the home.  We have ben in that situation before when maintaining power was critical.