Apple expands renewable energy to retail stores, 120 US outlets get green power

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
Nearly half of Apple's 254 retail stores in the U.S. -- including flagship locations in Palo Alto, Chicago, and New York -- are said to be powered entirely by energy from renewable sources, part of the company's plan to cast a wider net with its environmental initiatives.

Apple's flagship Fifth Avenue store is now powered entirely by renewable energy.
Apple's flagship Fifth Avenue store is now powered entirely by renewable energy.


News of Apple's retail milestone comes on the heels of a Greenpeace report that named the company "the most innovative and most aggressive" in Silicon Valley on the subject of environmental concerns. The disclosure was made as part of a Wired interview with Apple environmental chief Lisa Jackson.

Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple has reportedly made expanding its green energy footprint to more retail outlets a top priority in 2014, though it is not likely to be as simple as its widely-publicized datacenter efforts. Most of Apple's retail stores are located in shopping malls, so the company must work alongside utility providers who do not always offer green options.

Apple does have a history of success in such negotiations, however. Lobbying efforts from Apple, Google, and Facebook are credited with forcing major U.S. utility Duke Energy to adopt a clean energy purchase program from which Apple draws power for its Maiden, N.C. datacenter.

Alongside its retail and datacenter moves, Apple is also making efforts to revamp its supply chain. The company has reevaluated the way it accounts for the emissions generated by the mining of aluminum, for instance, and Jackson said that the iPhone maker is looking at a number of options for advancement but is careful not to harm the consumer experience.

"When I was at EPA I always told people that if you're looking for an administrator who camps out and only eats what she kills, you've got the wrong girl," Jackson said. "I grew up in the city. I don't sleep outside. I wear makeup. So I'm not one of those people who believe that environment should feel like a sacrifice. I do feel that we should challenge the most innovative company--which I think Apple is-to do everything it wants, but do it better. To give you all the data you could possibly want, but none of the emissions that go along with it."
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 27
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

    I have all "green" power at my house in Texas (via wind-power).  You simply choose a plan that offers this.

     

    I would think the only stores that don't have this would be ones in a mall that are obligated to use who the mall uses?

  • Reply 2 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I don't see the "Better' video linked in the article.


    [VIDEO]
  • Reply 3 of 27
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,654member

    I live in an apt and every once in a while these really annoying salespeople and real life spammers come around trying to get you to switch energy companies.

     

    Last time they came around, they had the nerve to ask to see my bill. No way am I showing any bill of mine to random strangers. I don't live in a huge apt and my energy consumption is obviously not large.

     

    One of my goals is actually to increase my carbon footprint, since I deserve to use more and I feel entitled to use more.

     

    After a minute or two of listening to their sales pitch, they realized that they weren't going to make any headway with me, so they resorted to some nonsense about how my current energy wasn't green, and that's why I should switch. What a cheap sales tactic. As if I care about going through the hassle of switching my electric company, in order to save maybe two pennies a month, if even that. I wouldn't even be surprised if theirs was more expensive than what I currently have.

     

    I promptly told the rude real life trolls and annoying salespeople that I do not believe in global warming, it's all a scam, and I proceeded to explain my thoughts on the subject and educate the two simpletons who so rudely had the nerve to knock on my door. I also told them that I do not mind "dirty" energy. You should have seen the looks on their faces, they were speechless. I should have grabbed an iOS device and snapped a picture of their ugly, stunned mugs.

     

    My method worked, and I haven't been bothered again by any salespeople and scammers trying to get me to switch to "green" energy.

     

    Next, I am hoping and praying that somebody comes around and tries to get me to sign up for Obamacare. They will be in for a rude awakening when that happens.<img class=" src="http://forums-files.appleinsider.com/images/smilies//lol.gif" /> 

  • Reply 4 of 27
    rerollreroll Posts: 47member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     

    I live in an apt and every once in a while these really annoying salespeople and real life spammers come around trying to get you to switch energy companies.

     

    Last time they came around, they had the nerve to ask to see my bill. No way am I showing any bill of mine to random strangers. I don't live in a huge apt and my energy consumption is obviously not large.

     

    One of my goals is actually to increase my carbon footprint, since I deserve to use more and I feel entitled to use more.

     

    After a minute or two of listening to their sales pitch, they realized that they weren't going to make any headway with me, so they resorted to some nonsense about how my current energy wasn't green, and that's why I should switch. What a cheap sales tactic. As if I care about going through the hassle of switching my electric company, in order to save maybe two pennies a month, if even that. I wouldn't even be surprised if theirs was more expensive than what I currently have.

     

    I promptly told the rude real life trolls and annoying salespeople that I do not believe in global warming, it's all a scam, and I proceeded to explain my thoughts on the subject and educate the two simpletons who so rudely had the nerve to knock on my door. I also told them that I do not mind "dirty" energy. You should have seen the looks on their faces, they were speechless. I should have grabbed an iOS device and snapped a picture of their ugly, stunned mugs.

     

    My method worked, and I haven't been bothered again by any salespeople and scammers trying to get me to switch to "green" energy.

     

    Next, I am praying that somebody comes around and tries to get me to sign up for Obamacare. They will be in for a rude awakening when that happens.<img class=" src="http://forums-files.appleinsider.com/images/smilies//lol.gif" /> 


     

    I truly hope all you're saying here is to get rid of annoying people, and not that you actually believe it.

  • Reply 5 of 27
    apple ][ and I belong to the same army!
  • Reply 6 of 27
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,654member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by reroll View Post

     

     

    I truly hope all you're saying here is to get rid of annoying people, and not that you actually believe it.


     

    It's not like I am pro pollution or anything like that, but I am extremely skeptical of a lot of the green movement and some of the charlatans behind it.

     

    I have lots of Apple products and I also invest in Tesla from time to time. That's about as green as I will get.

  • Reply 7 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    It's not like I am pro pollution or anything like that

    You say that after you just wrote…
    One of my goals is actually to increase my carbon footprint, since I deserve to use more and I feel entitled to use more.

    It sure sounds you are, especially your comment of entitlement over others (whom are probably minorities you despise for the color of their skin). :no:

    PS: If you ever want to lower your carbon footprint I have a great solution for you.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Apple may have some problems with stores in Oklahoma. Our fight wing nut of a Governor is getting ready to sign a bill that will tax the sun and wind for homes. Get a solar system or a small windmill and you get to pay a "Fee" (the GOP word for Tax) so the poor power company won't go broke.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,654member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    You say that after you just wrote…

    It sure sounds you are, especially your comment of entitlement over others (whom are probably minorities you despise for the color of their skin). image



    PS: If you ever want to lower your carbon footprint I have a great solution for you.

     

    I want to increase my footprint, simply because I use so little right now. That's why I am entitled to use more. I don't even own a car. If I can use just half of what somebody like Al Gore consumes, then I would be happy.

     

    As for any nonsense about minorities that you are bringing up, you are totally wrong. I don't despise anybody for the color of their skin. Skin color can not be chosen, but I do and will discriminate against people because of other reasons, such as ideology, religion, politics etc. Those are all choices that people are free to make, and they should be prepared to suffer the consequences of their choices.

  • Reply 10 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

    120 US outlets


     

    Isn’t this redundant? The US always uses 120 outlets! I guess Europe has to wait for Apple to renewify its 240 outlets.

    Yes, this is my sense of humor. No, I will not apologize for it.

  • Reply 11 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I want to increase my footprint, simply because I use so little right now. That's why I am entitled to use more. I don't even own a car. If I can use just half of what somebody like Al Gore consumes, then I would be happy.

    As for any nonsense about minorities that you are bringing up, you are totally wrong. I don't despise anybody for the color of their skin. Skin color can not be chosen, but I do and will discriminate against people because of other reasons, such as ideology, religion, politics etc. Those are all choices that people are free to make, and they should be prepared to suffer the consequences of their choices.

    1) My apologies for assuming you hated minorities for their skin color not because of their cultural differences.

    2) These talks of entitlements make you sounds like a Democrat¡
  • Reply 12 of 27
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 863member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     

    I live in an apt and every once in a while these really annoying salespeople and real life spammers come around trying to get you to switch energy companies.

     

    Last time they came around, they had the nerve to ask to see my bill. No way am I showing any bill of mine to random strangers. I don't live in a huge apt and my energy consumption is obviously not large.

     

    One of my goals is actually to increase my carbon footprint, since I deserve to use more and I feel entitled to use more.

     

    After a minute or two of listening to their sales pitch, they realized that they weren't going to make any headway with me, so they resorted to some nonsense about how my current energy wasn't green, and that's why I should switch. What a cheap sales tactic. As if I care about going through the hassle of switching my electric company, in order to save maybe two pennies a month, if even that. I wouldn't even be surprised if theirs was more expensive than what I currently have.

     

    I promptly told the rude real life trolls and annoying salespeople that I do not believe in global warming, it's all a scam, and I proceeded to explain my thoughts on the subject and educate the two simpletons who so rudely had the nerve to knock on my door. I also told them that I do not mind "dirty" energy. You should have seen the looks on their faces, they were speechless. I should have grabbed an iOS device and snapped a picture of their ugly, stunned mugs.

     

    My method worked, and I haven't been bothered again by any salespeople and scammers trying to get me to switch to "green" energy.

     

    Next, I am hoping and praying that somebody comes around and tries to get me to sign up for Obamacare. They will be in for a rude awakening when that happens.<img class=" src="http://forums-files.appleinsider.com/images/smilies//lol.gif" /> 


     

    Wow. Back when Apple was more of a niche, Apple fans used to be a tight knit community of very friendly, almost hippie types. Since the iPhone they have become more and more IBM corporate douche types. 

  • Reply 13 of 27
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,654member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    1) My apologies for assuming you hated minorities for their skin color not because of their cultural differences.



    2) These talks of entitlements make you sounds like a Democrat¡

     

    1) Sure, no problem, apology accepted. I do not believe that all cultures are equal. If somebody belongs to a lesser or unfortunate culture, then that is what I am criticizing, skin color is irrelevant.

     

    2) I believe that I've said this before, but I'm not a Republican, and I'm also definitely not a Democrat. There are so many bad politicians on each side now.

  • Reply 14 of 27
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    1) My apologies for assuming you hated minorities for their skin color not because of their cultural differences.

     

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     

     

    1) Sure, no problem, apology accepted. I do not believe that all cultures are equal. If somebody belongs to a lesser or unfortunate culture, then that is what I am criticizing, skin color is irrelevant.

     


    :rolleyes:

  • Reply 15 of 27
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,654member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

     

     

    Wow. Back when Apple was more of a niche, Apple fans used to be a tight knit community of very friendly, almost hippie types. Since the iPhone they have become more and more IBM corporate douche types. 


     

    Aren't the hippies and others revolting against the tech industry in places like San Fran now?

     

    The tech industry is driving those people out of the city, due to increasing housing costs. I'm rooting for neither side, as I enjoy watching rich liberals battling poor liberals, it's hilarious. 

  • Reply 16 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    The logistics of bringing green power into an urban shopping mall is not as easy as putting up some solar and wind installation out in the open spaces and feeding it back into the grid. Then you just pick up your power from the regular provider at your retail store location but your net fossil fuel usage is zero.

  • Reply 17 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    :rolleyes:

    At least it's something he deems a choice. Plus, I do respect that he's honest and candid about it, although Glenn Miller was "the only honest politician" when he ran for senate in 2010… so there is that. ;)
  • Reply 18 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     

     I don't live in a huge apt and my energy consumption is obviously not large.

     

    One of my goals is actually to increase my carbon footprint, since I deserve to use more and I feel entitled to use more.


    I appreciate you being so frugal with your carbon footprint. That means there is more for me, and I really know how to waste it, although I am planning to put in solar next year, just because electricity costs so much and the provider is unreliable.

  • Reply 19 of 27
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
  • Reply 20 of 27
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 2,149member
    mstone wrote: »
    The logistics of bringing green power into an urban shopping mall is not as easy as putting up some solar and wind installation out in the open spaces and feeding it back into the grid. Then you just pick up your power from the regular provider at your retail store location but your net fossil fuel usage is zero.

    It's called green washing. The power companies are green washing their offerings to market to people that give a damn. They're not really making clean energy or focusing on renewables. They're buying "credits" from an entity that does. It's a huge whitewash campaign.
Sign In or Register to comment.