Apple launches 'Better' environmental campaign with Tim Cook-narrated video

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

wonder if this will make the news and TV ads tomorrow, since it is "Earth Day".

• Reply 22 of 58
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,509member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Didn't they tear down the old HP building and haul it to the landfill to make room for the new Cupertino campus?

Yes- Apple is better than most companies.  But they're still filling landfills.

When a building is tore down everything gets recycled, the furniture is sold, the concrete is crushed and recycled, the rebars are pulled away and smelted, the wires are recycles, the copper and steel pipes are also recycled, etc. Every building goes through this process. Even when highways are resurfaced, the old tar and stones are recycled.

Sometimes the recycling equipment is moved and assembled on site, other times they haul the pieces to a plant.

• Reply 23 of 58
    I wish these ads were more clear - like, hey guess what, when u buy apple products it's way better for our planet than buying android or Microsoft! Even the data we serve up on ur phone uses energy that isn't harmful! I mean why can't we somethig similar to that?
  • Reply 24 of 58
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Meanwhile, FUD production is at its highest level in years.

Samsung is opening another Texas-based facility to keep up with internal demand.

• Reply 25 of 58
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Didn't they tear down the old HP building and haul it to the landfill to make room for the new Cupertino campus?

Yes, but with demolition waste not their products.

Plus I wonder if there's a breakdown  of what actually went to recyclers versus a landfill on that project?

• Reply 26 of 58
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

And so Apple is still an evil, planet raping capitalist in your opinion?

• Reply 27 of 58
    solipsismx wrote: »
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Who is Apple trying to convince? Greenpeace? Who cares about them?

Apple has been "environmentally friendly" for a very long time now. Even in keynotes from many years ago, Apple would be touting how green and environmentally friendly their products are.

I think that the majority of Apple users are well aware of Apple's track record. I also believe that many non-Apple users do not care at all. They'll simply buy whatever is cheapest. 

If there was an Android tablet that came with this symbol on the box and it cost $49, then many people would be fighting each other to get one.

1) Why can't they be doing it for themselves? I believe Cook believes what he stated in the video.

2) Being environmentally friendly isn't like getting a college degree where you can then stop learning and still retain that credential no matter how ignorant you become. It's like actually learning and you need to not only keep it up but progress. Even Dell is probably more environmentally friendly today than Apple a decade ago when Apple was leading the charge.

3) People don't simply choose what is cheapest. They choose what is cheapest for a perceived value. I'm sure you know people that were using WinPCs that didn't understand the value of the Mac you used until after they got one, or some Apple product before it clicked. Those intangibles that make the user experience better can be difficult to impossible to convey. In other markets Apple's products never weigh into the equation because the price is too far out of reach — the way a Rolls Royce Phantom (and driver) is out of reach for me — but they still weigh the perceived value among the items they can reasonably afford.

Apple, likely, has spent $ Billions on research, development and implementation of "Better". Likely, Apple has an unequaled talent base, skill-set and knowledge base on what and how to make things "Better".

It occurs to me that this has value ... great value.

It would not surprise me if Apple were to make this available, free, to all comers.

IMO, this would be FOSS (Free and Open Source Services) that really makes sense ... and institute a race to the top!
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

I wish these ads were more clear - like, hey guess what, when u buy apple products it's way better for our planet than buying android or Microsoft! Even the data we serve up on ur phone uses energy that isn't harmful! I mean why can't we somethig similar to that?

I think that for Apple it would be in bad taste and counterproductive to highlight its environmental aspirations and do competitive mud slinging in the same sentence.  Apple's customers are smarter than you think and don't need some things spelled out to come to the conclusion you are wanting. When you are trying to distance yourself from the competition and show a leadership role in the industry, you don't need (or want for that matter) to directly draw your potential customer's attention to the guys that are chasing you for comparison. That's suicide.

However, feel free to propose this to Samsung, they may think your idea will make for a brilliant ad against Apple.

• Reply 29 of 58

I bet the National Center for Public Policy Research (NCPPR) is going ape shit over this.   Eat it. 

• Reply 30 of 58
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

I was hoping the video would show Apple's data centers with racks full of Mac Minis and iMacs all running OS X Server.  Since that's what Apple promotes to its customers as servers, it would be good to see Apple using these themselves - eating their own dog food, as it were.  But instead, the video showed this:

• Reply 31 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    haggar wrote: »
    I was hoping the video would show Apple's data centers with racks full of Mac Minis and iMacs all running OS X Server.  Since that's what Apple promotes to its customers as servers, it would be good to see Apple using these themselves - eating their own dog food, as it were.  But instead, the video showed this:

There you go again with your bullshit. In no way has Apple ever said that the Mac mini is an ideal server for a massive, large-scale datacenter.
  • Reply 32 of 58

its kind of u

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Apple is not in the space anymore.  They already tried with Xserve. It didn't work out.

• Reply 33 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

There you go again with your bullshit.

surprised to see a personal attack from you.  Vacation overdue? 

• Reply 34 of 58
    snova wrote: »

The bullshit in question is clearly directed at his comments. In no way did I state or imply Haggar is figuratively or literally made of bullshit, consists of bullshit, or referred to any other aspects of his person. His comments, however, are and continue to be bullshit.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

Apple is not in the space anymore.  They already tried with Xserve. It didn't work out.

Then what's with all the people on this site and other Mac oriented sites slamming companies like HP, Dell, IBM and deriding the concept of enterprise servers?  If Apple is using those servers with non-OS X operating systems in their own massive data centers, then what business do Apple fans have to slam those companies?

• Reply 36 of 58
    Quote:

Quote:

The bullshit in question is clearly directed at his comments. In no way did I state or imply Haggar is made of bullshit, consists of bullshit or any other aspects of his person. His comments, however, are and continue to be bullshit.

I dont recall Haggar's past comments, but I'd bet your reaction is more based on the past than on what they said in THIS post.   I don't see anything untrue.   If Apple was in this space, I am sure they would "eat their own dog food".  But they are not.   So who cares?

• Reply 37 of 58
    snova wrote: »
    I dont recall Haggar's past comments, but I'd bet your reaction is more based on the past than on what they said in THIS post.   I don't see anything untrue.   If Apple was in this space, I am sure they would "eat their own dog food".  But they are not.   So who cares?

1) The implication is that Apple is a hypocrite for not using Mac minis for their expansive data centers. All his comments are along the same lines. Check his history.

2) For all we know Apple makes their own servers. Because they make them doesn't mean they have to also sell them. That said, I think it's possible they compile their own HW but I doubt they use OS X on them. It's simply not suited for the high-end server needs it was designed for.

3) His comment is as foolish as expecting Apple's data centers to use AirPot Extremes for their 3-port switch in their data centers instead of high-end data center routers from Cisco and Juniper.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    Quote:

Quote:

Then what's with all the people on this site slamming companies like HP, Dell, IBM and deriding the concept of enterprise servers?  If Apple is using those servers in their own massive data centers, then what business do Apple fans have to slam those companies and their servers?

I wouldn't know about that.  I haven't seen that personally.   

btw  I'm not sure any of this equipment is what you think it is, perhaps I am mistaken however.  Can you tell me what in this photo you think we are looking at exactly?

• Reply 39 of 58
    Quote:

Quote:

The implication is that Apple is a hypocrite for not using Mac minis for their expansive data centers. All his comments are along the same lines. Check his history.

ok. will do.

• Reply 40 of 58
    Love the environment impact, just wonder if they will offer a product on market such as a solar charger.