Apple launches 'Better' environmental campaign with Tim Cook-narrated video

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

eating their own dog food

That’s just pathetic. You think people won’t notice it? Get better and go away or just go away.

• Reply 42 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    haggar wrote: »
    Then what's with all the people on this site and other Mac oriented sites slamming companies like HP, Dell, IBM and deriding the concept of enterprise servers?  If Apple is using those servers with non-OS X operating systems in their own massive data centers, then what business do Apple fans have to slam those companies?

Why don't you post some comments of people on this site slamming enterprise servers in favour of using Apple's consumer products in their stead?
  • Reply 43 of 58
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Love the environment impact, just wonder if they will offer a product on market such as a solar charger.

is there a great demand and profit opportunity for indoor solar chargers for phones? :???:   

people are already criticizing Apple for making UL certified chargers which are too expensive and then go proceed to electrocute themselves with with cheap knockoffs.

If you want to go solar, you don't do it at the appliance side.  You'd have many expensive solar chargers throughout your house. Its better to go solar for the entire house, or at the utility company. 

• Reply 44 of 58
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

I was hoping the video would show Apple's data centers with racks full of Mac Minis and iMacs all running OS X Server.  Since that's what Apple promotes to its customers as servers, it would be good to see Apple using these themselves - eating their own dog food, as it were.  But instead, the video showed this:

"Racks of iMacs" — LOL

• Reply 45 of 58
    arviarvi Posts: 17member

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple is using generic but home-grown computing hardware for servers. Google started this data center trend when they realized it was cheaper to use their own design. I think the same blueprint is being used by Amazon and Facebook. Google is also not dependent on the big networking companies like Cisco and Juniper. They developed their own networking OS and have released it for other companies to check out. They use the network OS and run it on top of generic routing/switching equipment. But I'm sure I'm oversimplifying. The point is, the big players will do what they need to do to cut costs without sacrificing performance and reliability. In fact, they are making it better. To the point that the established giants are looking at Google's moves and following suit. As far as server OS goes, Apple is probably mostly using UNIX and OS X.  You use what best serves your objectives. That's all there is to it.

• Reply 46 of 58
    Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

"Racks of iMacs" — LOL

“HUGE… RACKS OF MACS!”

• Reply 47 of 58
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

"Racks of iMacs" — LOL

“HUGE… RACKS OF MACS!”

stack of Macs server'd with fries.

• Reply 48 of 58
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

stack of Macs server'd with fries.

Beowulf clusters of xMacs

• Reply 49 of 58
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

Unlike most other Company where there environmental effort and show off are more like an extra budget from Marketing Campaign, 

I do believe Apple generally do care. and do give a damn.

• Reply 50 of 58
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Just in 2013 alone…

• 13" MBP refreshed twice that year.
    • 15" MBP refreshed twice that year.
    • 21.5" iMac refreshed twice that year.
    • 27" iMac refreshed.
    • 11" MBA refreshed.
    • 13" MBA refreshed.
    • The New Mac Pro was introduced after 9 years of the same cue design.
    • iPad Air was introduced.
    • Retina iPad mini was introduced.
    • High-end iPhone was refreshed.
    • Mid-range iPhone was introduced to tackle more markets and quickly took position number 2 and settled as number 3 for the world's most popular smartphone.
    • 16GB iPod Touch was introduced to tackle more markets.
    • New AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule with 802.11ac were refreshed and given a new design.
    • Mac OS X got a new name and a major overhaul, not to mention it was made free.
    • iOS was redesigned from the ground up to be a modern OS that eschews the gimmicky look of the 2007 design.
    • iWork and iLife suite apps got a major overhaul, and most apps free with purchase of an Apple product.
    • iCloud had a major overhaul and more interconnects for smoother accessibility between devices.
    • Touch ID become the first consumer biometric that was actually useful.
    • 64-bit ARM processor with AArch64 was introduced with an OS, included apps, and IDE that full supported it, not to mention excellent documentation to help get 3rd-party developers to quickly support the better architecture.

Thanks for keeping a track record! That's a great summary and rebuff to all the naysayers. I hope you'll carry on tallying each year.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    Thanks for keeping a track record! That's a great summary and rebuff to all the naysayers. I hope you'll carry on tallying each year.

I used MacTracker to compile most of the list.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

In any case, good work, and a good response to a cheap shot.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Apple, likely, has spent $ Billions on research, development and implementation of "Better". Likely, Apple has an unequaled talent base, skill-set and knowledge base on what and how to make things "Better".

It occurs to me that this has value ... great value.

It would not surprise me if Apple were to make this available, free, to all comers.

IMO, this would be FOSS (Free and Open Source Services) that really makes sense ... and institute a race to the top!

Good idea. I also like the statement in the video: "Better is a force of Nature." That has genuine philosophical value, and I think it's at the heart of Jobs's Discovery, which now drives the corporation.

Strict Darwinists wouldn't agree—evolution is supposed to be blind—but the Discovery says otherwise.
  • Reply 54 of 58
    flaneur wrote: »
    In any case, good work, and a good response to a cheap shot.

There's one thing that bugs me about MacTracker. It says that every iMac built has no RAM built in, which is surely wrong. Apple always shipped RAM with its iMacs. I know you can always add more, but am I missing something?
  • Reply 55 of 58

There's one thing that bugs me about MacTracker. It says that every iMac built has no RAM built in, which is surely wrong. Apple always shipped RAM with its iMacs. I know you can always add more, but am I missing something?

Where are you seeing that?

The Mac app shows the default amount(s), the type, the maximum amount, and other features.

• Reply 56 of 58
    Where are you seeing that?

The Mac app shows the default amount(s), the type, the maximum amount, and other features.

Read the screenshot: for the iMac, it says-Built in Memory: None.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Read the screenshot: for the iMac, it says-Built in Memory: None.

The Rev. C G5 iMac lists it, as does the 21.5 Late 2012, Early 2013, and Late 2013.

But you’re right. It makes zero sense.

• Reply 58 of 58
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Don't care what some are saying here, that was a very good video and TC narration was very relaxing.