Apple trademark update suggests company may enter jewelry business, hinting at rumored 'iWatch'

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited April 2014
Apple has broadened its corporate trademark to cover "Class 14" items -- a distinction given to jewelry, clocks and watches, potentially signaling that the company is planning to enter the wearable device market.

iWatch
iWatch concept by Todd Hamilton

The trademark change, discovered on Monday by MacRumors, is related to the company's name, meaning that "Apple" seeks to have its name protected in the jewelry business. Product categories in trademark filings are divided into 45 different classes, and Apple's extension specifically looks to qualify the company in "Class 14 (Jewelry)."

"This class includes mainly precious metals, goods in precious metals, and, in general, jewelry, clocks and watches," the definition for Class 14 states.

The class also includes "imitation jewelry," as well as cuff links and tie pins.

Apple has filed jewelry- and watch-related trademark extensions in the U.K., Mexico, Norway and Ecuador. But Apple is not yet protected in Class 14 in its home country of the U.S.

Last year, it was revealed that Apple had specifically applied for ownership of the product name "iWatch." That helped to fuel speculation that Apple is planning to enter the wearable devices market with a new wrist-worn accessory.

Wearable Device
AppleInsider was first to discover an Apple patent filing describing a watch design with flexible display.

The "iWatch" trademark was sought under Class 14 as well as Class 9, which includes computers and peripherals.

Apple's Class 14 extension and "iWatch" trademark applications represent a slightly more transparent approach than the company has attempted in the past. For example, Apple began obtaining the rights to the "iPad" name in 2006 through a British shell corporation named "IP Application Development Limited," or "IPAD Ltd."

Well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities said earlier this month that he expects Apple will launch a so-called "iWatch" this fall in two different sizes, intended to be appropriate for both men and women. He believes the device will sport a flexible AMOLED display and will focus on health tracking and fitness.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    I hope it's the next iPod Nano: one you can wear on your wrist, but smaller. If anyone can do smaller, thinner, lighter and make it matter, it's Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    If true. It is very clever. Jewelry has one of the highest margins (`70%) compared to TV's and Computers in the single digits, if any at all.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

If true. It is very clever. Jewelry has one of the highest margins (`70%) compared to TV's and Computers in the single digits, if any at all.

That will not last long, the typical cast of characters will get involved and it become a race to the bottom again.

• Reply 4 of 55
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

That will not last long, the typical cast of characters will get involved and it become a race to the bottom again.

They're already involved. Haven't you seen Samsung's terrible offerings so far?

• Reply 5 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

They're already involved. Haven't you seen Samsung's terrible offerings so far?

my point was they come in copy what works and drive value out of the market.

• Reply 6 of 55
    Quote:

my point was they come in copy what works and drive value out of the market.

i agree.

• Reply 7 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Jewerly is a totally different animal from computing devices.  

Samsung's plastic crap watch is also category 14, is it not?

"Jewelry" doesn't have to mean gold, diamonds and expensive stuff.

• Reply 8 of 55
    Quote:

Apple's jewerly will look NOHTING like the monstrosity by SamDUNG

Of course it won't. Apple's will be much, much better. That goes without saying.

I was merely stating that "jewelry" can mean a lot of things.

• Reply 9 of 55
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I hope it's the next iPod Nano: one you can wear on your wrist, but smaller. If anyone can do smaller, thinner, lighter and make it matter, it's Apple.

In my opinion, they took a step back with the iPod Nano last refresh.  Regardless, if it's simply an iPod Nano- *yawn*.

Essentially- don't count on it

• Reply 10 of 55
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Or maybe they took a step forward, to turn the nano back into a non-wearable to make way for the real iWatch?

• Reply 11 of 55
    Quote:

no they won't.

Do you see people paying $5000 for an imitation Rolex watch?  hell no.

Jewerly is a totally different animal from computing devices.  If it wasn't diamond rings, gold braclets, ect should have all been commodized by now. 

Actually, I have seen people in China paying $100 a knockoff Rolex's there are plenty of people willing to pay $100 for something that is suppose to look like $5000 product. Do not kid yourself other companies will not attempt to knock off what Apple is doing especially if it is successful or becomes some sort of status symbol.

• Reply 12 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Or maybe they took a step forward, to turn the nano back into a non-wearable to make way for the real iWatch?

That was 2012.  It's 2014 now.  I doubt the consideration of an iPod nano is being thought of as it relates to the iWatch.

• Reply 13 of 55
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:

Which Apple will not join.  This will lead to Apple taking in 87% of all profits made in the global jewelry business, including sales of wedding bands, nose rings, and gold tooth caps.  None of this will matter to those who will produce charts showing Samsung as the leader in smart watch unit volumes as well as their newly released lines of bronze wedding bands, gigantic plastic nose rings, and gold-colored veneers.

• Reply 14 of 55

Maybe Apple Inc. is just taking a preventative measure to block Samsung & Google from marketing a smartwatch called "The Apple Watch".  :)

• Reply 15 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

gigantic plastic nose rings

But they're "open" plastic nose rings.  So you can customize them to whatever you want.

• Reply 16 of 55
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

What are you gonna do? Tether your wrist to your face with ear buds?

• Reply 17 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I think this trademark update is a very good indicator that iWatch (and more) is on the way.

• Reply 18 of 55
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I think this trademark update is a very good indicator that iWatch (and more) is on the way.

It seems hard to deny they are making some sort of wearable.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The class also includes "imitation jewelry"...

lol sometimes subtle humor is the best

• Reply 20 of 55

While at brunch on Sunday, April 13, 2014, I sat next to a family of four. Mom and Dad lived in Harrisburg. One daughter lived in Los Angeles. The other daughter lived in London. They all had iPhones, which made me smile. What hit a somewhat emotional nerve was seeing the father prick his finger to draw blood for analysis before taking an insulin shot.

I immediately remembered all the rumor articles about what might be coming in iOS 8 for iPhone 6 and/or iWatch. I started talking to the father about the possibility of him never again having to prick his finger to draw blood for insulin analysis starting in September of THIS year thanks to upcoming Apple medical technology. I stressed possibility to them, but the significance of Apple making this stuff real was overwhelming to them and me!

When asked how the technology could work, I pulled out my iPhone 5S and showed how Touch ID works and said the blood analysis technology could be embedded in the Home button just like the finger print technology. And, Reminders could be set up to notify him it was time for him to analyze his blood and inject insulin.

Blown away in an understatement!! The man and his wife were amazed about what could be a thing of the past for him. He has been pricking his fingers multiple times a day for over 20 year. To think Apple just might be on the brink of bringing part of the invasive procedure to an end in just five months boggled their and my minds.

IF Apple brings forth the medical technologies we have been reading about, there will be no limits to the very real benefits the technologies will bring to humankind around this world we live in!!!