Samsung expert says Apple patents worth $38.4M, not $2.2B

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Notice that Samsung is only bring in experts from universities, why not any industries experts who actually have real world experience making and selling product and knows the real value of a product. Verse hiring a bunch of arm chair quarterback who are can analysis the data verses actually playing the game.

• Reply 62 of 90
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Notice that Samsung is only bring in experts from universities, why not any industries experts who actually have real world experience making and selling product and knows the real value of a product. Verse hiring a bunch of arm chair quarterback who are can analysis the data verses actually playing the game.

Both Apple and Samsung are using the same types of experts. Both are coming up with what I consider silly numbers too.
    http://recode.net/2014/04/22/understanding-the-crazy-math-apple-and-samsung-use-to-calculate-patent-damages/
  • Reply 63 of 90
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Both Apple and Samsung are using the same types of experts. Both are coming up with what I consider silly numbers too.

http://recode.net/2014/04/22/understanding-the-crazy-math-apple-and-samsung-use-to-calculate-patent-damages/

Apple also had there own people from inside the company who claimed it cost them sales, and they probable could show sales figures, Apple used outside people to valid the numbers, whether right or wrong, Samsung is just using no industries expert and funny math.

As it was already said, juries are funny and you never know which way it will go, they could ignore the experts and rely on apple own information and say apple lost sales at the hands of samsung due to the market confusion they caused.

• Reply 64 of 90
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Looks like Google just stepped in it. They are now exposed for providing legal support for Samsung.

This could provide the opening Apple has been looking for to deliver the deathblow to Android.

http://recode.net/2014/04/22/google-agreed-to-pick-up-at-least-some-of-samsungs-legal-defense-in-apple-case/

• Reply 65 of 90
    Looks like Google just stepped in it. They are now exposed for providing legal support for Samsung.

This could provide the opening Apple has been looking for to deliver the deathblow to Android.

http://recode.net/2014/04/22/google-agreed-to-pick-up-at-least-some-of-samsungs-legal-defense-in-apple-case/
    They even said at least some of the features Samsung is accused of "stealing" are integrated in Android. They don't seem too concerned. At least this answers some who were faulting Google for not indemnifying licensees. I guess they do despite what Eric , DED and a couple other claim. It's the right thing.

The odd thing about Apple bringing it up is it kinda goes against their constant hammering that Google isn't part of this case.
  • Reply 66 of 90
    Quote:

The odd thing about Apple bringing it up is it kinda goes against their constant hammering that Google isn't part of this case.

It's not odd at all. Apple may be making this connection to prove Google is responsible for real financial harm as the drug dealer supplying free Android drugs to phone manufacturers. Their involvement isn't just that of a detached observer.

This connection may set up Google for liability claims by Apple?

• Reply 67 of 90
    It's not odd at all. Apple may be making this connection to prove Google is responsible for real financial harm as the drug dealer supplying free Android drugs to phone manufacturers. Their involvement isn't just that of a detached observer.

This connection may set up Google for liability claims by Apple?

Google's always been responsible for whatever is in Android. What makes you think this is anything new?
  • Reply 68 of 90

Oh, and this is hilarious... Mike Elgan just posted this on Google+:

Quote:

Samsung is preparing for a 'post-Google era.'

Samsung Medial Solution Center President Hong Won-pyo told reporters today that Samsung is rapidly developing its Tizen operating system as an alternative to Android in preparation for a "post-Google era."

He said Samsung will release products that run on Tizen "as early as possible" and is looking for mergers and acquisitions to speed up the process of moving off Android.

If this isn't proof enough that Android is screwed, I don't know what is! Remember, Samsung is currently the only company making money off of Android devices. If they abandon Android.... Well, hahahahahahahahahahahaaaa!

• Reply 69 of 90
    Quote:

Google's always been responsible for whatever is in Android. What makes you think this is anything new?

It's different because Google used to have no financial connection to Samsung. Now there is a clear link. That opens them up to liability claims.

• Reply 70 of 90
    It's different because Google used to have no financial connection to Samsung. Now there is a clear link. That opens them up to liability claims.

Google has always been open to liability claims too. Why did you and others think they didn't? There's never been anything preventing Apple from suing Google directly.
  • Reply 71 of 90
    Quote:

Google has always been open to liability claims too. Why did you and others think they didn't? There's never been anything preventing Apple from suing Google directly.

Sure there has... Financial liability. With Google connected to Samsung, Samsung's harm becomes Google's harm. This is a smoking gun.

Regardless of what of either of us thinks, we'll soon see how Apple uses this to their advantage.

Howard Mintz, reporter for the San Jose Mercury News just wrote:

Quote:

last afternoon break, Apple nearing end of its witnesses. It will be interesting to see what Samsung does with the Google indemnity material, as it doesn't cover all five patents, so they do have some wriggle room. That may have to be left for closings...

• Reply 72 of 90
    Sure there has... Financial liability. With Google connected to Samsung, Samsung's harm becomes Google's harm. This is a smoking gun.
    http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/containers/fix380/1495569/000119312510271362/dex1012.htm
    The indemnity clause isn't a secret. Google has always accepted financial liability and Apple surely was aware of it. You apparently still want to believe this is a new revelation. It isn't.

Ever hear the term "contributory infringement"? Apple could go for it whenever they they felt froggy.
  • Reply 73 of 90

Ina Fried wrote:

Quote:

First real #appsung bombshell as e-mails confirm Google picking up some defense cost, liability in latest Apple case http://on.recode.net/1kYwMfP 

• Reply 74 of 90
    Quote:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/containers/fix380/1495569/000119312510271362/dex1012.htm

The indemnity clause isn't a secret. Google has always accepted financial liability and Apple surely was aware of it. You apparently still want to believe this is a new revelation. It isn't.

I think you're sorely mistaken if you are under the impression that this doesn't open the door wide open for Google liability. It's as good as an admission of guilt for Samsung's misdeeds.

I also noticed you have nothing to say regarding Samsung's comments about moving into a POST-GOOGLE ERA.

• Reply 75 of 90
    I think you're sorely mistaken if you are under the impression that this doesn't open the door wide open for Google liability. It's as good as an admission of guilt for Samsung's misdeeds.

I think the mistake is yours. Read this older FOSSPatents article explaining different theory's on what damages could be collected from Google for "stealing" IP. Apple has always been able to make the same patent infringement damage claims as Oracle did.
    http://www.fosspatents.com/2011/09/terms-of-potential-oracle-google.html
  • Reply 76 of 90
    Quote:

I think the mistake is yours. Read this older FOSSPatents article explaining different theory's on what damages could be collected from Google for "stealing" IP. Apple has always been able to make the same patent infringement damage claims as Oracle did.

http://www.fosspatents.com/2011/09/terms-of-potential-oracle-google.html

Florian Muller has turned against Apple over this latest case. He reads like a Samsung shill now. I've stopped reading his posts.

• Reply 77 of 90
    I also noticed you have nothing to say regarding Samsung's comments about moving into a POST-GOOGLE ERA.

Whatever happens, happens. It doesn't have any effect on me one way or the other if that's what you're implying. I've got not stock or derive finanancial benefits from any of the players. If Android disappears altogether at some point something or someone else will just fill the void left behind. Apple isn't capable of supplying the entire market, nor should anyone want them to.
  • Reply 78 of 90
    Florian Muller has turned against Apple over this latest case. He reads like a Samsung shill now. I've stopped reading his posts.

He made the same general "Apple may be over-reaching" patent damage claims months ago. That's not new either. And back when the comments were first made Apple didn't want anywhere near the $40/unit they're striving for now. But in any event the article I pointed you to was in his "everything Android bad, everything Google bad" days so it's safe for you to read. :\
  • Reply 79 of 90
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Probably a PAID expert.  :-)

I'm surprised they didn't have a little advertisement video at the end of the testimony that said "This sworn testimony has been paid for by Samscum"

All Samsung's doing is trying to get out from paying tons of money.  They'll go to all ends of the earth to plead this one down.  It's totally obvious.  They are whiney rip off artists.  They'll get it in the end as they are so far behind in 64 bit mobile devices, I think that's what will take them and Android down to just selling cheap money losing products in the end.

• Reply 80 of 90
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Isn't it ironic that Googs has a license for stolen tech?