Apple print ad touts environmental responsibility, pokes fun at Samsung [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for someone to complain that the ad was in print. I'm sure the earth day crowd is anti paper.

I didn't think of it till your twisted mind came up with it. Like BobSchlob says, you're even trolling earth day. Nice.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I didn't think of it till your twisted mind came up with it. Like BobSchlob says, you're even trolling earth day. Nice.

How is a joke trolling?

• Reply 23 of 47
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,900moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

"We want to leave the world better than we found it".

Really?

Then stop selling all-in-one Macs (a waste of displays!!!).

Huh, what?  And laptops?  Those should come without displays too?  How far should we take modularity?  Before you answer, please remember, the whole thing is recyclable.

• Reply 24 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterbob View Post

Those solar panels look like ipanels. I wonder if Apple received a patent on solar panels on grass (verry conceivable in our patent system). Good for them though, just screams a tad arrogance though, like smeeling your own fart arrogance. I think Google has spent nearly 2 billion dollars on clean energy owns the world's largest solar farm, and some giant winds farms. They are without a doubt the leader in clean energy between the likes of Apple, Microsoft, Facebook etc. Yet I've never seen them take out a full ad on doing what most publicly aware company should be doing. Weird.

You clearly didn't get the reference to Samsung.  First, Apple has put out an advertisement with a positive message; that it would be great if we all were more environmentally conscious.  It didn't say it's the only one, just as Apple would not claim to be the only computer maker, or the only smartphone maker, or the only tablet maker.  So you don't need to read into this that Apple considers itself the only environmentally conscious company on the planet.  But, as one of the companies that is environmentally conscious (among many) Apple is saying it would be nice if others followed suit.  And at the same time it's taking a jab at Samsung, a noted fast-follower that is not so noted for its environmental consciousness. and no, I don;t see google putting out a similar advertisement; but then again, who is fast-following Google?

• Reply 25 of 47
    Quote:

Makes complete sense when Google started building data centers this type of green technology was rare. Apple might have 5% of the data centers capacity Google does. The fact that Google has gotten its massive data centers to 34% over the last few years is amazing. Where as apple just started building data centers a few years back with green energy in mind. 78% seems Meh.

It's not just about data centers and clean energy.  It's also about environmental stewardship in the building and packaging of products.  And that extends deep into the supply chain.  Is Google delving deep into the supply chain of any Nexus devices it has manufactured on its behalf, or is it simply taking the position that that's the responsibility of its partners?  How about Motorola when it owned that company?  Has Google done this and subsequently reported what it has found to anywhere near the extent Apple has?  Maybe Google doesn't have so much to tout in a similar advertisement.

• Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Going farther, I would bet that if you took Google's 34% compared to Apple's 78%, Google would still be in the lead by actual volume. 

which is to say also that, Google would be in the lead by absolute volume of server farm footprint that uses traditional energy sources.  Can't have it both ways.

• Reply 27 of 47
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    It made me smile when I saw it in the newspaper this morning!
  • Reply 28 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,616member
    It's not just about data centers and clean energy.  It's also about environmental stewardship in the building and packaging of products.  And that extends deep into the supply chain.  Is Google delving deep into the supply chain of any Nexus devices it has manufactured on its behalf, or is it simply taking the position that that's the responsibility of its partners?  How about Motorola when it owned that company?  Has Google done this and subsequently reported what it has found to anywhere near the extent Apple has?  Maybe Google doesn't have so much to tout in a similar advertisement.

The 78% "green" figure Apple mentions does not include product manufacturing, packaging or delivery.

Motorola Mobility's environmental goals and manufacturer responsibility report can be found here:
    http://responsibility.motorola.com/index.php/environment/operations/
    http://responsibility.motorola.com/index.php/suppliers/

while many of Google's goals and initiatives are discussed here:
    https://www.google.com/green/
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The 78% "green" figure Apple mentions does not include product manufacturing, packaging or delivery.

Motorola Mobility's environmental goals can be found here:

http://responsibility.motorola.com/index.php/environment/operations/

while many of Google's goals and initiatives are discussed here:

https://www.google.com/green/

Of course not. Are Motorola Mobility's or Google's numbers different?

Unless you're trying to tell us that, (i) These two do include manufacturing, packaging and delivery; and (i) These two are doing better than 78%, what's your purpose in giving us the links?

• Reply 30 of 47
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    How is a joke trolling?

When you consider the source, and his background of beFUDdlement when it comes to anything progressive from Apple. And that includes new products as well.

I should say "their" background, because I believe he/she is more than one person.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm just waiting for someone to complain that the ad was in print. I'm sure the earth day crowd is anti paper.

you would be wrong. Paper is a renewable resource.

• Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Really?

don't like it? don't buy it.  Don't need a new keyboard, mouse and display? buy a Mini or a Pro.   Wanna piss on someone's parade? go somewhere else. 

• Reply 33 of 47
    Of course not. Are Motorola Mobility's or Google's numbers different?

Unless you're trying to tell us that, (i) These two do include manufacturing, packaging and delivery; and (i) These two are doing better than 78%, what's your purpose in giving us the links?

RadartheKat asked some questions and I offered links to find some of the answers. Perhaps you didn't see his post. I doubt they were questions you had so why does it matter to you?

I thought you would be more interested in my response to the questions you had here yet never acknowledged:
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/178688/samsung-experts-say-apples-patented-features-not-valuable-in-trial/120#post_2519606
  • Reply 34 of 47
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclephil View Post

Peterbob - google does invest in clean energy, but by their own admission is only at 34% use. Apple is at 73%. That's why google hasn't trumpeted their stats.

Makes complete sense when Google started building data centers this type of green technology was rare. Apple might have 5% of the data centers capacity Google does. The fact that Google has gotten its massive data centers to 34% over the last few years is amazing. Where as apple just started building data centers a few years back with green energy in mind. 78% seems Meh.

Google built a data center near here that gets all its power from a coal plant.  They claim that buying offsets from wind farms on a different grid makes that data center "green".  That's a far cry from powering a data center with actual renewable energy.

• Reply 35 of 47
    john.b wrote: »
    Google built a data center near here that gets all its power from a coal plant.  They claim that buying offsets from wind farms on a different grid makes that data center "green".  That's a far cry from powering a data center with actual renewable energy.

A new plant powered by coal? Which one was that? You'd think they'd plan better and make sure there was renewable power available for at least a good part of their needs.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    wowowwowow Posts: 1member
    So, Apple truly believes it created the concept of being a "green" company.

You people totally believe them.

Wow.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    disturbiadisturbia Posts: 563member

PRICELESS!

• Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

A new plant powered by coal?

did you get a new can of lube for Easter? ;-) 

• Reply 39 of 47
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unclephil View Post

Peterbob - google does invest in clean energy, but by their own admission is only at 34% use. Apple is at 73%. That's why google hasn't trumpeted their stats.

You quoted him as saying 78% when it was 73%, but you also misattributed that number to data centers when it is all Apple facilities in total. Their data centers are at 100%. 

Quote: http://www.apple.com/environment/climate-change/

As of 2013, we’ve already converted 73 percent of the energy for all our facilities — 86 percent for our corporate campuses and 100 percent for our data centers.

• Reply 40 of 47
    appex wrote: »
    Really?

Notebooks, the majority of sales, are all in ones.

The iMac 27 (the only iMac worth buying) works as a display for MacBooks with thunderbolt.

The 21" model is pretty stupid, 2.5" HDD, no target display mode, non-user accessable ram modules.