Apple print ad touts environmental responsibility, pokes fun at Samsung [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
Apple gave its legal adversaries a bit of a ribbing on Tuesday as the company took out a full-page ad in UK newspapers saying, "There are some ideas we want every company to copy," alluding to Apple's environmental awareness [updated with a high-quality image].

Click for larger.

The tongue-in-cheek jab, spotted by AppleInsider reader Janak, is likely in reference to Apple's ongoing court battle with Samsung. Apple is suing the Korean company over alleged patent infringement in multiple jurisdictions including California, where a second jury trial is currently underway.

The ad's text is overlaid atop a picture showing off Apple's gigantic solar array -- the largest end user-owned facility in the U.S. -- that powers its data center in Maiden, N.C. At the bottom of the page is a URL directing readers to Apple UK's environmental responsibility webpage.

Update:

Click for full-size scan.

Apple's ad comes on the heels of a public push touting the company's environmental initiatives. On Monday, the company launched its "Better" campaign with a short video in which CEO Tim Cook named various Apple initiatives created to foster environmentally sound business practices.

Tuesday's ad rolls out alongside a redesigned environmental responsibility mini-site that educates visitors about Apple's green initiatives like hardware recycling and the use of renewable energy at data centers, corporate buildings and retail stores.

In addition, Apple Stores received special treatment for Earth Day as outlets around the world changed the color of the Apple logo's leaf to green. The modified trademark was also found on retail store employees, who donned green t-shirts and special ID cards to commemorate the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    hydrogenhydrogen Posts: 314member
    Brilliant !
  • Reply 2 of 47
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    That's awesome. :)
  • Reply 3 of 47
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    "We want to leave the world better than we found it".
    Really?
    Then stop selling all-in-one Macs (a waste of displays!!!).
  • Reply 4 of 47
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm just waiting for someone to complain that the ad was in print. I'm sure the earth day crowd is anti paper.
  • Reply 5 of 47

LOL, That's a good one.  A positive AD.

It certainly of better taste than the competitor's negative Ads.

Keep 'em coming.

• Reply 6 of 47
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    "Apple customers worldwide followed in Apole's footsteps by using a green Sharpie to permanently color in the leaf on their laptops and iPhones.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    Those solar panels look like ipanels. I wonder if Apple received a patent on solar panels on grass (verry conceivable in our patent system). Good for them though, just screams a tad arrogance though, like smeeling your own fart arrogance. I think Google has spent nearly 2 billion dollars on clean energy owns the world's largest solar farm, and some giant winds farms. They are without a doubt the leader in clean energy between the likes of Apple, Microsoft, Facebook etc. Yet I've never seen them take out a full ad on doing what most publicly aware company should be doing. Weird.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Peterbob - google does invest in clean energy, but by their own admission is only at 34% use. Apple is at 73%. That's why google hasn't trumpeted their stats.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrogen View Post

Brilliant !

That was the word i was looking for

• Reply 10 of 47
    unclephil wrote: »
    Peterbob - google does invest in clean energy, but by their own admission is only at 34% use. Apple is at 73%. That's why google hasn't trumpeted their stats.

Makes complete sense when Google started building data centers this type of green technology was rare. Apple might have 5% of the data centers capacity Google does. The fact that Google has gotten its massive data centers to 34% over the last few years is amazing. Where as apple just started building data centers a few years back with green energy in mind. 78% seems Meh.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

I like the message. Their agency probably had a difficult time figuring out something workable for the layout

• Reply 12 of 47
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Really?

Sorry but this is just stupid. You need a display don't you?

• Reply 13 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Really?

How about you just stop buying Apple products and leave us all alone? You will never, ever, at any point in the future, get an xMac.

• Reply 14 of 47
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterbob View Post

Makes complete sense when Google started building data centers this type of green technology was rare. Apple might have 5% of the data centers capacity Google does. The fact that Google has gotten its massive data centers to 34% over the last few years is amazing. Where as apple just started building data centers a few years back with green energy in mind. 78% seems Meh.

Going farther, I would bet that if you took Google's 34% compared to Apple's 78%, Google would still be in the lead by actual volume. 

• Reply 15 of 47
    peterbob wrote: »
    Those solar panels look like ipanels. I wonder if Apple received a patent on solar panels on grass (verry conceivable in our patent system). Good for them though, just screams a tad arrogance though, like smeeling your own fart arrogance. I think Google has spent nearly 2 billion dollars on clean energy owns the world's largest solar farm, and some giant winds farms. They are without a doubt the leader in clean energy between the likes of Apple, Microsoft, Facebook etc. Yet I've never seen them take out a full ad on doing what most publicly aware company should be doing. Weird.

No; Apple is far ahead of Google in clean energy.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm sure the earth day crowd is anti paper.

Wow. An earth day troll.

Only complaint so far is you.

• Reply 17 of 47
    rolyroly Posts: 74member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Going farther, I would bet that if you took Google's 34% compared to Apple's 78%, Google would still be in the lead by actual volume. 

And by that rationale, Google are also in the lead in terms of the volume of non eco-friendly power sources and the amount of greenhouse gas emissions, deadly toxins and other poisons they're pumping into the environment. Way to go.

• Reply 18 of 47
    Quote:

Really?

You don't understand what you are complaining about. If and when you don't want to use it as a computer, you can still use it as a display.

Quote: http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

• Support for Target Display Mode via the Thunderbolt port using a Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable (sold separately)

• Reply 19 of 47
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    appex wrote: »
    Really?

Apple will probably leave the world in better shape than you. But we can test the proposition. Dig a hole. Lie down in it. Cover your self up. Decompose. No rush. We'll wait.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    sirlance99 wrote: »

Google reportedly became "carbon neutral" in 2007.

Google maintains at least a couple of dozen data centers and perhaps more with quite a few spread around the world in locations that perhaps have no access to "green energy". But kudos to Apple for keeping it in mind as they build new centers.
    http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/05/15/google-data-center-faq/