40% of Chinese consumers turn to phablets as Apple said to prep jumbo iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Ugh,

Tell me that it doesn't look stupid to you, perhaps it is just me?

How far we have come...

• Reply 42 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

so why dont you just get an ipad mini?

makes no sense at all

Makes no sense? So what do I do in case of emergency or if someone wants to ring me? Duh. I need a phone. My iPhone happens to also be a phone. In daily life I use iMessage and the iPhone fits in my pocket.

• Reply 43 of 71
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Makes no sense? So what do I do in case of emergency or if someone wants to ring me? Duh. I need a phone. My iPhone happens to also be a phone. In daily life I use iMessage and the iPhone fits in my pocket.

These "Just get an iPad people" are completely clueless. Not only for the reasons you mentioned above but also for the simple fact of pricing. iPhone plans are very competitive and offer plans for everyone from the very light to the unlimited user and all price ranges in between. I have unlimited calling, unlimited texting and unlimited LTE data for $50 a month. I don't know of any unlimited LTE data plans at all on the iPad and $50 a month might get you 5GB at most with no phone calls or texts. I use easily over 8GB or more a month on data and most of that is streaming music while I drive. I love my iPad, but it is a stay at home device. Too bulky for my pocket or car and too expensive for data. A 5.5" iPhone would be perfect for me. 

P.S. I also love the way they always post photos of a guy with a phablet. Guess they have never heard of the headphones included with the iPhone, bluetooth headsets, or speakerphone mode. And quite frankly even if you do talk on it directly so what? I see people in public with far more reasons to be embarrassed than holding a large phone to their face. 

• Reply 44 of 71
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Ugh,

Tell me that it doesn't look stupid to you, perhaps it is just me?

It isn't just you but the point is, and perhaps it is cultural thing, a lot of people couldn't give a flying crap what they or others look like when they speak on the phone. For them, being able to speak on their device is perhaps just an added convenience.  Perhaps they don't view it as a phone, first and foremost. 

• Reply 45 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Do you know what OS the Xiaomi Mi3 employs? Why is it with these tech writers that Apple (only) should be afraid? (I'm sure there is a reason, there always is.)

They use Android. Why is there a reason to presume that they use any OS other than Android?

1. They make smartphones.

2. Their smartphones are selling.

3. They are not Apple.

Which means:

4. The OS is Android.

Can you name another OS that is selling mobile devices other than Android and IOS?

Windows? Nope.

Java Mobile? Nope.

Symbian? Nope.

Blackberry? Nope.

What is it ... being unable to acknowledge that an Android shop other than Samsung is successful?

• Reply 46 of 71
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Look! One-handed use! Trolls win! image

Newton- am I a troll?  We've agreed on countless issues but this one we don't.

I still haven't heard compelling evidence what feature someone with average hand-size would not be able to use with 1-hand on a 4.7" phone.  Notifications, texting, phone call, answering, unlocking, control panel, all can be done with one hand on a 4.7".  iOS is brilliantly designed in that you can pull the drop down notification from the top right corner.  You can unlock from anywhere on the phone.  You can scroll and swipe anywhere as well.  You delete things on the right side of the screen.  Heck- outside of controlling the volume button in which you'd have to uncomfortably shimmy your hand up, I don't know what you'd be losing.

Instead of blanket "Can't use one hand" that people keep touting- let's hear specifically what they're losing the ability of.

• Reply 47 of 71
    andysol wrote: »
    Newton- am I a troll?  We've agreed on countless issues but this one we don't.

No, to clarify, I am not calling you or anyone in particular a troll in my post. I picked your post to reply to, but I could have created a new post with the same comment and then you wouldn't take it so personally.

I was referring to the feeling that, inevitably, the pro-giant screen iPhone fans, however noisy and opinionated and last-wordist they may be on these forums, are probably going to win this argument. So, if you think phablet is the way to go, you may commence gloating. I personally like I current iPhone 5, but if Chinese proclivity for phablets are driving demand, then it's not up to me (or collectively, Western tastes) any more. The phablet fans have won. The Chinese consumers are running Apple now. It was inevitable.
  • Reply 48 of 71
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

No, to clarify, I am not calling you or anyone in particular a troll in my post. I picked your post to reply to, but I could have created a new post with the same comment and then you wouldn't take it so personally.

I was referring to the feeling that, inevitably, the pro-giant screen iPhone fans, however noisy and opinionated and last-wordist they may be on these forums, are probably going to win this argument. So, if you think phablet is the way to go, you may commence gloating. I personally like I current iPhone 5, but if Chinese proclivity for phablets are driving demand, then it's not up to me (or collectively, Western tastes) any more. The phablet fans have won. The Chinese consumers are running Apple now. It was inevitable.

You actually didn't quote me, I was just responding ;)

But I am an advocate of a larger phone.  I would like it personally, and I think it will help AAPL substantially as well.  The fact is- even if 4.7 is the smallest phone they make- what choice does the consumer have?  No one makes small phones anymore.  At least not the top-end smart phones.

I also think keeping around the 4" wouldn't help sales, because people who want a 4" will end up eventually buying the 4.7" because there is no other option (iOS or otherwise).  So looking at it strictly as a business move, I think it is wise.

Honestly, the only reason I want them to continue a 4" is because I want all my buddies on AI to have the choice to keep a smaller phone.

• Reply 49 of 71
    Quote:

If Apple continues to make a 4" in addition to a 4.7" and possibly a 5.5" inch as well don't we all win? Choice is a good thing and unlike Android with dozens if not hundreds of choices available if you want an iOS phone you can only pick from Apple alone. It is good that Apple might finally offer something for people wanting small, medium, and large. Goldilocks would be happy. Apple is too big now to ignore such huge segments of the market and abandon them to Samsung and others.  

• Reply 50 of 71
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

so why dont you just get an ipad mini?

makes no sense at all

Because I can be contactable by phone and in cases of emergency. Duh.

So, why don't you get yourself an iPhone and an iPad mini? Or cheaper, an iPad mini and feature phone?

Believe me, a 5.5" iPhablet is still too small to be productive. I expect you on this website next year craving for a 6.7" iPhablet …

Frankly, I don't care if Apple releases the 5.5" iPhablet. As long as they don't axe the 3.5" iPhone. It is the best form factor you can get to be contactable and in case of emergencies. It is the perfect on the go device.

• Reply 51 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

I send hundreds of texts a day, and don't make hundreds of calls....

...but that will change when you're a grown up and have a job. :)

Seriously though, declarations of the telephone's obsolescence are more than a little premature.

That said, I don't care if someone thinks the size of my phone makes my call amusing. Style fascists are everywhere, and their standards change as quickly as their shorts (sometimes literally!). I don't choose my utility equipment on the basis of what some fella in skinny jeans and absurdly large glasses, whose time on this Earth is shorter than some of my equipment, thinks is "cool." Besides, I haven't held the device to my head in years anyway. I use the EarPods that came with my iPhone.

• Reply 52 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

So, why don't you get yourself an iPhone and an iPad mini? Or cheaper, an iPad mini and feature phone?

Believe me, a 5.5" iPhablet is still too small to be productive. I expect you on this website next year craving for a 6.7" iPhablet …

Frankly, I don't care if Apple releases the 5.5" iPhablet. As long as they don't axe the 3.5" iPhone. It is the best form factor you can get to be contactable and in case of emergencies. It is the perfect on the go device.

Yeah, great idea! We should carry 2 devices and pay for 2 plans when one larger iPhone would do the trick and is exactly what we are looking for. Look, it is like I tell people opposed to gay marriage. If you are opposed to it then don't marry a gay person of the same sex and your life will be the same. If you don't want a larger iPhone don't buy one but stop telling us it is not what we want or need or suggesting ridiculous compromises like carrying around an iPad or getting a flip phone. 

• Reply 53 of 71
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    With even the huge Note 3 outselling the 5c, I think large screen phones are doing well everywhere, not just China. Apple adding a larger screen to their line up is going to be a great thing for Apple. I don't know if the predicted flock of Android users will switch to it, but I think many- maybe even the majority- of Apple users will quickly adopt, even if Apple raises the price substantially.
  • Reply 54 of 71
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Yeah, great idea! We should carry 2 devices and pay for 2 plans when one larger iPhone would do the trick and is exactly what we are looking for. Look, it is like I tell people opposed to gay marriage. If you are opposed to it then don't marry a gay person of the same sex and your life will be the same. If you don't want a larger iPhone don't buy one but stop telling us it is not what we want or need or suggesting ridiculous compromises like carrying around an iPad or getting a flip phone. 

So, the real problem here is the carrier plan and not the "small" screen size.

The data plan shouldn't be limited to one device. Instead it should be a seamless - iCloud like - experience across several devices.

• Reply 55 of 71
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    "It's clear that phablets really are changing the way Chinese consumers use smartphones," said Kantar strategic insight director Dominic Sunnebo. "More than one in five phablet owners now watch mobile TV on a daily basis, half do so at least once a month, and this is without widespread availability of 4G."

Apple is reportedly poised to cash in on this growing market

It misses out a very important consideration with emerging markets though and this is referenced in the link earlier about Xiaomi and here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-phablet-shipments-are-exploding-in-asia-2013-9

"Phablets have experienced phenomenal growth in shipments across the Asia-Pacific region.

Shipments increased by an average of 88 percent quarter-on-quarter between year-end 2011 and June 30 of this year, according to IDC.

Much of the growth can be attributed to emerging markets like China and India where there is now high consumer demand for phablets, devices that straddle the line between tablet and mobile phone.

Low-cost phablet alternatives have also removed price barriers to device adoption.

In fact, the rise of low-cost phablets has ended Samsung's dominance of this market. Samsung, maker of premium phablets like the Samsung Note, was responsible for 90 percent of phablet shipments in the fourth quarter of 2011, but the company's share had shrunk to less than 50 percent by the second quarter of this year, according to IDC.

On average, low-cost phablets are priced at around $220, compared to $560 for Samsung devices."

Also, on the topic of mobile video, Asia is often noted as being a large source of piracy:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.utorrent.client

10-50m downloads. That's not something you get on iOS.

How does one cash in on a growing market with a $650 phone where people don't want to pay anywhere near that much for a phone and not at all for content?

I imagine any time now we're going to get some photos of these jumbo iPhone parts to confirm these umpteen threads about screen size. Nice name too, iPhone 6J (the J is for jumbo). More like iPhone 6BS.
  • Reply 56 of 71
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    frood wrote: »
    With even the huge Note 3 outselling the 5c, I think large screen phones are doing well everywhere, not just China. Apple adding a larger screen to their line up is going to be a great thing for Apple. I don't know if the predicted flock of Android users will switch to it, but I think many- maybe even the majority- of Apple users will quickly adopt, even if Apple raises the price substantially.

Source? Still I think Apple will release a ~5" iPhone. Not sold on a Phablet.
  • Reply 57 of 71
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I think Apple will release a ~5" iPhone. Not sold on a Phablet.

That is a phablet.

• Reply 58 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That is a phablet.

I disagree.  I think anything at 5" or below is clearly in the range of normal phones.  It gets hazy above 5" though.  The Galaxy S5 comes with a 5.1" screen but it's not a phablet.  The Note 3, at 5.7", is a phablet.  I don't know where the dividing line is.

I think we may need to adjust our definition of phablets to encompass total chassis size rather than screen size.  Functionality might end up playing a role in the definition too if all large phones begin shipping with a stylus like the S Pen.

• Reply 59 of 71
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

In fact, the rise of low-cost phablets has ended Samsung's dominance of this market. Samsung, maker of premium phablets like the Samsung Note, was responsible for 90 percent of phablet shipments in the fourth quarter of 2011, but the company's share had shrunk to less than 50 percent by the second quarter of this year, according to IDC.

On average, low-cost phablets are priced at around $220, compared to $560 for Samsung devices."

How does one cash in on a growing market with a $650 phone where people don't want to pay anywhere near that much for a phone and not at all for content?

The same way Apple cashes in on the premium phone market in China.  And if Apple only sells 10M phablets per year like Samsung did with the Note 3 that's still $6.5B in revenue AND it's a FAR better alternative for Apple than a $529 16GB iPad mini 4G sale + someone else's feature phone.

And a 5.5" iPhone should be a little cheaper to make than a 7.9" iPad Mini.  And $650 is the base price of the 5S.  I could see them charging $750 for the 5.5" iPhone 6.

The fact that low cost phablets dominate the Android phablet market is as meaningless as the fact that low cost smartphones dominate the Android smartphone market to Apple.  Apple will only compete with the premium Android phablets and likely crush them.

• Reply 60 of 71
    I don't like the 5x7 icons it's stupid I have an iPad and I like the 4x5 icon set ihope apple don't smushed 50 apps on 1 page it's just too cramped up