Apple quietly releases more affordable MacBook Airs starting at $899 [u]

12346»

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 114
    rogifan wrote: »
    Um, no.

    Er, yes.
  • Reply 102 of 114
    rogifan wrote: »
    Based on what??

    The fact that the iPad is the present and the future; the MacBook Air is the past.
  • Reply 103 of 114
    jgutherjguther Posts: 97member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by The Pool Man View Post



    If you boot up a Mac and open a web browser with five or so page, mail app, iTunes (not playing), Pages, and Numbers -- you need just over 4 GBs of ram. That's before you've pushed PLAY in iTunes or typed anything into either iWorks app.



    This means the MacBook Airs need a memory upgrade from Apple, which means the $100 price drop goes right back to Apple to get 8 GBs of RAM.

    Not true. It is approx. 2.4GB for your scenario. It seems to me that you added the file cache in, which is wrong. The file cache is basically unused memory that OS X uses to cache frequently used disk pages. 

  • Reply 104 of 114
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,456member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nht View Post

     

     

    Except run windows.

    Or Java.

    Or Pixelmator

    Or drive my 29" display at 2560 x 1080

    Or XCode

    Or connect to my RAID array

    Or connect via Ethernet

    Or run Steam and my steam games

    Or run FCP

    Or a gazillion other things that I won't bother listing.


     

    Then get a MacBook Pro. Nobody plays games on a MacBook Air, nobody uses FCP on a MBA for serious work.

  • Reply 105 of 114
    chiachia Posts: 712member
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

    And it doesn't do anything an iPad can't. 


     

    Oh, so you can now run Parallels, VMWare Fusion, Virtualbox and Xcode on an iPad?

  • Reply 106 of 114
    chiachia Posts: 712member
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

    Then get a MacBook Pro. Nobody plays games on a MacBook Air, nobody uses FCP on a MBA for serious work.


     

    http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/1209-real-life-editing-experiences-with-a-macbook-air-and-final-cut-pro-x

  • Reply 107 of 114
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

     

    Then get a MacBook Pro. Nobody plays games on a MacBook Air, nobody uses FCP on a MBA for serious work.


     

    1) bullshit

    2) the current MBA is faster than many MBP still in service. My MBP for work is about to be replaced but it's 3 years old and the 11" Core i7 2013 MBA is faster than it in terms of both CPU and GPU.

  • Reply 108 of 114
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,456member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

     

     

    1) bullshit

    2) the current MBA is faster than many MBP still in service. My MBP for work is about to be replaced but it's 3 years old and the 11" Core i7 2013 MBA is faster than it in terms of both CPU and GPU.


     

    HAHAHAHA living in a dream world are we! Lets see some real world tests that show this. Maybe it boots faster and things like that, but thats only because of the flash storage and nothing else. You could very easily put an SSD in a non-retina MBP too and then the difference is basically nothing. 

  • Reply 109 of 114
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    macxpress wrote: »
    HAHAHAHA living in a dream world are we! Lets see some real world tests that show this. Maybe it boots faster and things like that, but thats only because of the flash storage and nothing else. You could very easily put an SSD in a non-retina MBP too and then the difference is basically nothing. 

    More BS. The PCIe SSDs trounce SATA connected SSDs, and considering those older MBPs had SATA II it's not even a contest.
  • Reply 110 of 114
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nht View Post

     

     

    1) bullshit

    2) the current MBA is faster than many MBP still in service. My MBP for work is about to be replaced but it's 3 years old and the 11" Core i7 2013 MBA is faster than it in terms of both CPU and GPU.




    Is the old one a 13"? The 15" 2011s would still be faster.

  • Reply 111 of 114
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

     

    Is the old one a 13"? The 15" 2011s would still be faster.


     

    It's a mid-2010 2.53 Ghz Core i5 with the GT330M purchased just before the early 2011's came out.  My refresh was delayed a couple months and my new retina MBP is coming in the next couple days.  Technically my laptop was 3.2 years old went the order for a new one went out.  There was some snafu with Mavericks integration with some enterprise software so all mac refreshes were on hold for a while.

     

    In comparison to the 2.0 Ghz Core i7 2011's the HD5000 is faster than the HD 6490M

     

    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-5000.91978.0.html

    http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6490M.43843.0.html

     

    The dual core i7 in the 2014 MBA lags behind the quad i7 in the MBP 64 bit multicore tests (6091 vs 8945) but is also much faster in the single core benchmark (3129 vs 2455).

     

    Compared against my 2010 model (4176) or even the 2010 Core i7 model (4808) it's no contest.  The base model 15" MBP got a huge upgrade in 2011.

     

    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/specs/macbook-air-core-i7-1.7-13-early-2014-specs.html

    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-2.0-15-early-2011-unibody-thunderbolt-specs.html

    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i5-2.53-aluminum-15-mid-2010-unibody-specs.html

    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-2.8-aluminum-15-mid-2010-unibody-specs.html

     

    FCP7 doesn't use more than one core although Compressor and obviously FCPX do.  If you're doing ProRes 422 on FCP the 2013/2014 MBA should be faster than the 2011 MBP in most, if not all, scenarios.

     

    As for 13" MBP…I wasn't even considering them.  However an early 2013 Core i5 13" MBP does not compare favorably with the mid 2013 Core i7 MBA in either CPU (5731 vs 6152 64 bit multi) or GPU (HD4000 vs HD5000).  The same gen 13" MBP is a bit faster in both.

     

    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i5-2.6-13-early-2013-retina-display-specs.html

    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/specs/macbook-air-core-i7-1.7-13-mid-2013-specs.html

     

    Huh…I said 11" MBA didn't I?  Rather than change all the links the CPU is the same (i7-4650U) for both.  The 11" MBA is a seriously powerful little guy.

  • Reply 112 of 114
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:



    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

     

    HAHAHAHA living in a dream world are we! Lets see some real world tests that show this. Maybe it boots faster and things like that, but thats only because of the flash storage and nothing else. You could very easily put an SSD in a non-retina MBP too and then the difference is basically nothing. 


     

    "The single threaded performance of the upgraded 13-inch MacBook Air is almost able to equal that of the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display. Anyone underwhelmed by Haswell should keep this in mind. What we're seeing here is a combination of IPC improvements and awesomely aggressive turbo, all within a 15W TDP."

     

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7113/2013-macbook-air-core-i5-4250u-vs-core-i7-4650u/2

     

    The 11" and 13" MBA with the 1.7 Ghz i7 are essentially the same.  It is faster than the 13" Core i5 Retina MBP in the iMovie 11 and FCPX Import tests and Lightroom 3 export tests.

     

    "We included in the 2012 MacBook Air with 2.0GHz Dual-Core i7 CPU and Intel HD 4000 GPU. What's the point? If you want a light weight Apple laptop with a 13" screen and don't require a Retina display, you get just as good performance with the Core i7 MacBook Air as you do with the 13" Retina MacBook Pro Core i5 and pay $300 less on the similarly configured model (8G RAM, 256G SSD) --- and save a half a pound on weight."

     

    Barefeats show that the 2012 i7 MBA is on par with the 2012 13" Retina MBP as well.

     

    http://www.barefeats.com/rmbp13.html

  • Reply 113 of 114
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,456member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nht View Post

     

     

    "The single threaded performance of the upgraded 13-inch MacBook Air is almost able to equal that of the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display. Anyone underwhelmed by Haswell should keep this in mind. What we're seeing here is a combination of IPC improvements and awesomely aggressive turbo, all within a 15W TDP."

     

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7113/2013-macbook-air-core-i5-4250u-vs-core-i7-4650u/2

     

    The 11" and 13" MBA with the 1.7 Ghz i7 are essentially the same.  It is faster than the 13" Core i5 Retina MBP in the iMovie 11 and FCPX Import tests and Lightroom 3 export tests.

     

    "We included in the 2012 MacBook Air with 2.0GHz Dual-Core i7 CPU and Intel HD 4000 GPU. What's the point? If you want a light weight Apple laptop with a 13" screen and don't require a Retina display, you get just as good performance with the Core i7 MacBook Air as you do with the 13" Retina MacBook Pro Core i5 and pay $300 less on the similarly configured model (8G RAM, 256G SSD) --- and save a half a pound on weight."

     

    Barefeats show that the 2012 i7 MBA is on par with the 2012 13" Retina MBP as well.

     

    http://www.barefeats.com/rmbp13.html


     

    I call BS!

  • Reply 114 of 114
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

    I call BS!




    It’s BareFeats; there’s no BS to call.

Sign In or Register to comment.