Survey suggests Apple could sell 15M more iPhones in US with larger 5" display option

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

If Apple releases a higher resolution, larger screen iPhone this year, I might switch from my HTC One (m7) to that. I mainly switched from the iPhone 4S to the HTC One because of the display size and resolution (the 5/5S/5C line did not interest me).

• Reply 42 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

A couple years ago this could have been your comment...

Well, thank you for trying to speak for me, but no.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Remember that Apple has been shipping larger screens on an iOS-based device for a long time so instead of assuming that Apple will simply slap a display slightly smaller than the iPad mini display and call it an iPhone perhaps you should look at what differences Apple might bring to the table and what aspects of usability appeal to Apple in this space.

Sometimes even Apple needs to address current consumer demands.  If people are walking into an AT&T store and choosing a crappy Samsung smartphone over an iPhone simply because it has a larger screen (and they are), that's a serious problem.  And it's a problem Apple should have attacked 2 years ago with more than just an upgrade from 3.5" to 4".

• Reply 43 of 68
    I think this is more of added sales, not increase as the decrease from current buyers will drop this.
  • Reply 44 of 68
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    redhotfuzz wrote: »
    Well, thank you for trying to speak for me, but no.

Yes, that is the sort of thing we saw from the moment the first LTE chips were in an Android-based device until Apple announced the iPhone 5 in 2012. After the iPhone 5 was announce it was then stated that Apple was simply copying others. Can't you see how the technology wasn't ready before that point to satisfy Apple's needs?
    Sometimes even Apple needs to address current consumer demands.

Which they do all the time. A sudden trend in netbooks doesn't mean Apple should produce a $300 10" Atom-based notebook no matter how many millions of people are buying netbooks. Can't you see how that was not a good product?
    If people are walking into an AT&T store and choosing a crappy Samsung smartphone over an iPhone simply because it has a larger screen (and they are), that's a serious problem.  And it's a problem Apple should have attacked 2 years ago with more than just an upgrade from 3.5" to 4".

1) Apple attacks problems all the time but saying they "should have" done this or that sounds ridiculous coming from anyone that doesn't run a more successful tech company… which is nobody.

2) There will always be people buying a different product but that doesn't mean Apple should waste money going after them. What is the benefit of going after $300 desktop PCs when there is no profit in it for Apple and would likely cause irreputable harm to their Mac brand? Instead, why not create a product that works for a market that is sustainable for long time? Why not, ya' know, do what Apple actually does that has led them to excel in the PC, PMP, smartphone, digital media appliance, and tablet markets where they dominate.
  • Reply 45 of 68
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

Baloney. I see these larger screen devices popping up all over here in the US. I''ve heard people say they chose an Android device over an iPhone based solely on screen size. This is not a Chinese consumer phenomenon. Or did you not even read the original story above?

Well be sure to add your anecdotes and observations to the "research" survey in the article. They can always use more ammunition to force Apple to see it their way.

• Reply 46 of 68
    dimmok wrote: »
    I wish the bigger screen comes out…that way all this talk of iPhone small screen blah, blah will cease forever.

Lets get back to whats really going on here.... Apple's superior iOS Ecosystem and drop dead gorgeous hardware.

It just means the haters will select one of the standard attack vectors:

1. Walled gardens, blah, blah
    2. Too expensive
    3. Customization boogeyman
    4. 64- bit is fake/not needed/marketing
    5. iOS 7 sucks
    6. Apple is losing the megapixel war
    7. Obsession with thinness
    8. Lightning connector = Apple tax
    9. Antennagate
    10. Two-handed phablet screen
  • Reply 47 of 68
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Most people who say "I'd buy an iPhone if it had a bigger screen" are mainly Android owners making up an excuse why they didn't buy an iPhone instead of just admitting they couldn't afford one or they made a mistake.

When Apple bow to pressure (because Jobs isn't there to say no), these "must have a big screen" people will just move on to another excuse as to why they won't buy one.

• Reply 48 of 68
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Oh please. So you're implying the only reason Apple hasn't dabbled in larger iPhome screen sizes is because of manufacturer limitations? Despite the fact every Android device maker on the planet has been shipping larger screened devices for years?

Riiiight.

How did I know you would jerk your knee that way . . .

I'll try to make it simple for you. When Apple releases a larger phone, they need 30 million screens or so. It has to be LTPS or IGZO. Apple was already using 70% of the world's supply of LTPS screens with their iPhones. No supply for a new phone till 2014. No IGZO at all.

The Android mfg's are using Apple's leftovers. Get it?
  • Reply 49 of 68
    solipsismx wrote: »
    A couple years ago this could have been your comment...
    Remember that Apple has been shipping larger screens on an iOS-based device for a long time so instead of assuming that Apple will simply slap a display slightly smaller than the iPad mini display and call it an iPhone perhaps you should look at what differences Apple might bring to the table and what aspects of usability appeal to Apple in this space.

Thanks for the meme-eries!
  • Reply 50 of 68
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

It will be interesting to see how Cook spins that Apple innovated this.

• Reply 51 of 68
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Like I said in the other thread when you expressed your beFUDdlement, you should know by now, because you have been TOLD so many times that it is a matter of high-efficiency, high-density screen supply, either LTPS or IGZO.

You look to be either hopelessly dense or a shameless crypto troll. I lean toward the latter.
    And you know this how? I don't remember Tim Cook or anyone else at Apple saying this. What they said when the 5 came out was they made the phone taller but not wider so it was easy to use one handed. If the reason is so obvious why are so many wondering where the larger screen device is? And as far as competitors using Apple's leftovers...um display mate recently said the GS5 has the best display on the market. Read just about any review of a new flagship high end Android device and the display gets very high marks.
  • Reply 52 of 68
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Oh please. So you're implying the only reason Apple hasn't dabbled in larger iPhome screen sizes is because of manufacturer limitations? Despite the fact every Android device maker on the planet has been shipping larger screened devices for years?

Riiiight.
    Apparently they all use inferior technology (even though display mate said the GS5 has the best display on the market right now). But what do I know, since I'm just a troll. :D
  • Reply 53 of 68
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    If people are walking into an AT&T store and choosing a crappy Samsung smartphone over an iPhone simply because it has a larger screen (and they are), that's a serious problem.  And it's a problem Apple should have attacked 2 years ago with more than just an upgrade from 3.5" to 4".

Did you not see recent sales figures? It's not much of a problem as you think it is. You're the type that wants Apple to be the only company that sells smartphones.
  • Reply 54 of 68
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    evilution wrote: »
    Most people who say "I'd buy an iPhone if it had a bigger screen" are mainly Android owners making up an excuse why they didn't buy an iPhone instead of just admitting they couldn't afford one or they made a mistake.

When Apple bow to pressure (because Jobs isn't there to say no), these "must have a big screen" people will just move on to another excuse as to why they won't buy one.

Wrong. Many of them once owned iPhones and want to go back but won't until there's a bigger screen. I know, and have met quite a few previous iPhone lifers that switched to the Note 3.
  • Reply 55 of 68
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Apparently they all use inferior technology (even though display mate said the GS5 has the best display on the market right now). But what do I know, since I'm just a troll. :D

Does DisplayMate measure all aspects of a display? Does DisplayMate all aspects of a device? If not, then it's not a good measure as one of the biggest problems with other OEMs is that they unfortunately focus on one thing (especially if it's easily quantifiable) while ignoring other aspects that affect usability.
  • Reply 56 of 68
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

**** these "surveys". Anyone remember this?

http://readwrite.com/2013/02/04/200-million-workers-want-windows-8-tablets-not-ipads#awesm=~oCYVkvNtYie0m8

Yeah, how did that work out? I remember all the fear-mongering and proclamations of doom for the iPad before the Surface was released- so many stories like this. There's always something just around the corner that's going to **** over Apple. Except- it never happens. 

• Reply 57 of 68
    rogifan wrote: »
    And you know this how? I don't remember Tim Cook or anyone else at Apple saying this. What they said when the 5 came out was they made the phone taller but not wider so it was easy to use one handed. If the reason is so obvious why are so many wondering where the larger screen device is? And as far as competitors using Apple's leftovers...um display mate recently said the GS5 has the best display on the market. Read just about any review of a new flagship high end Android device and the display gets very high marks.

You're going to have to actually think and connect dots, so start with the old LTPS supply problem and see how far you can go:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/29/apples_next_iphone_expected_to_consume_70_of_high_res_ltps_screen_supply

Yes, the GS5 is said to have a good display, but if you think Apple is going to beg Samsung for 50 million AMOLED screens then you have no business commenting here at all. Ever.
  • Reply 58 of 68
    apple jockeyapple jockey Posts: 168member
    It my estimation, because of second and third tier potential clients, the idea of phasing out the 4" and the 3.5" is laughable for the next several years. Folks in less affluent nations will be entering iOS though both size phones for some time to come.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

They'd probably moan about the price.

I am proud of Apple that they did not give in on the netbook trend. Instead they created a new category: the iPad. Let's hope they do the same for the phablet (= 5+" devices). The pressure to release a phablet is getting enormous though …

• Reply 60 of 68
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    I still believe 4.7" is quite appropriate if Apple wants to target 1 size iPhone only. If Apple wants to keep 2 screen sizes in a long run, 4.5" and 5" would be ideal.