Jury modifies Apple v. Samsung damages but final amount unchanged, calls Google involvement 'interes

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 100
    spanadingspanading Posts: 74member
    U
    I'm glad that the 4 million dollar error was just a clerical mistake. Sheesh. I question how overnight common people can become experts in patent law. The press reports there was an IBM executive, and now suddenly he's the expert because after all he's an IBM executive. I would rather see a group of judges schooled in this area handle these cases. I think the outcome of the trial was ridiculous and pretty much gives license to any foreign company to copy at will.

I agree with your sentiments but there is something we can do. Samsung have competitors in nearly every product area and google isn't the only search engin. I think everyone knows where in going with this.... If the legal system won't enforce patents properly then I would suggest a boycott of products from companies that rip off Apple.
  • Reply 82 of 100
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

God no, I can only hope we're done with lawsuits now.

Yeah, I mean, who wants to see justice served?

• Reply 83 of 100
    Quote:

If Apple keeps suing at some point they're going to become the bad guy in the eyes of the public. The media is incredibly anti-Apple and eventually all that negative press impacts public perception.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/apple-v-samsung-jury-foreman-says-the-consumer-is-the-loser/

"Ultimately, the consumer is the loser in all this," foreman Thomas Dunham, a retired IBM supervisor, told the San Jose Mercury News. "I'd like to see them find a way to settle. I hope this (verdict) in some way helps shape that future."

Sod the fucking media. The people love Apple products and have voted with their feet. When it comes to reporting on Apple, the mainstream media are the scum of the earth.

• Reply 84 of 100
    Quote:

Hey, I don't think that but that's how the anti-Apple media will portray it (some already are) and when that's the media meme day in and day out people start to believe it. Apple got $119M when they were asking for $2B. How long does Apple have to keep suing before they prove their point? Or when people start wondering if it's worth it when the legal fees are almost as much as the damages they are awarded? Twice now a jury found Samsung guilty of infringing on Apple's patents. Apple's never going to be able to sue them out of business. And Apple doesn't seem to be winning the PR war. What's the point of more lawsuits? The more Apple sues, the more the media will make them out to be the bad guys.

You really don't get it. You're suggesting that Apple should just give up and let Samsung do as they please. Fucking ridiculous.

• Reply 85 of 100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Powell View Post

Nope, this is Apple and Samsung

Well done. You got a thumbs up from R2D2. Something I'm sure we all strive for on this forum.

• Reply 86 of 100
    Quote:

I can't believe anyone would buy a GS5 with its horrible software. Check out the video below.

Can you imagine anyone going from an iPhone to that abomination? I just can't fathom how a single person would ever want to use that phone. It would make a fine punishment for a teenager to have to use a Samsung Galaxy S5 for a week instead of their iPhone.

• Reply 87 of 100
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    Yeah, I mean, who wants to see justice served?

http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=8ad0893b-b080-4bc1-8abd-86faf2e0852e
    "As this blog discussed in October 2011, a few months after Apple launched its initial suits against Samsung, emotion and patent litigation do not mix. Taking things personally clouds your judgement and makes it more likely you will make mistakes. And as this blog has also argued, in dragging Samsung through countless courts in jurisdictions across the world all Apple has done is help its competitor, while harming itself.

Once Samsung had no smartphone or tablet business, a slight (at best) reputation for innovation and a less than stellar brand; now all that has changed. Maybe it would have happened anyway, but it’s hard to believe that the process has not been significantly speeded up as a result of disputes in which Apple has very publicly recognised that the Korean company is a major competitor whose products it wants to see taken out of the market. When you are selling at a significantly lower price point than Apple, how helpful is that? And it’s not only Samsung – other Android manufacturers have been able to piggy-back: “We're selling something that is pretty much the same as the iPhone and the iPad, but much cheaper.” And it’s a message that is getting through spectacularly..."
  • Reply 88 of 100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=8ad0893b-b080-4bc1-8abd-86faf2e0852e

"As this blog discussed in October 2011, a few months after Apple launched its initial suits against Samsung, emotion and patent litigation do not mix. Taking things personally clouds your judgement and makes it more likely you will make mistakes. And as this blog has also argued, in dragging Samsung through countless courts in jurisdictions across the world all Apple has done is help its competitor, while harming itself.

Once Samsung had no smartphone or tablet business, a slight (at best) reputation for innovation and a less than stellar brand; now all that has changed. Maybe it would have happened anyway, but it’s hard to believe that the process has not been significantly speeded up as a result of disputes in which Apple has very publicly recognised that the Korean company is a major competitor whose products it wants to see taken out of the market. When you are selling at a significantly lower price point than Apple, how helpful is that? And it’s not only Samsung – other Android manufacturers have been able to piggy-back: “We're selling something that is pretty much the same as the iPhone and the iPad, but much cheaper.” And it’s a message that is getting through spectacularly..."

If you think that this http://youtu.be/q0G9yasVKyo is "pretty much the same as the iPhone," then you need your eyes tested.

• Reply 89 of 100
    If you think that this http://youtu.be/q0G9yasVKyo is "pretty much the same as the iPhone," then you need your eyes tested.

Not really pertinent to the point the IAM Mag article was making. :rolleyes:

But you're correct that phones (and their OS's) sometimes have problems, particularly at first.
  • Reply 90 of 100
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The Galaxy S5, HTC One M8 and Sony Xperia Z2 are not "significantly cheaper" than an iPhone 5s let alone the 5c.

The usual load of lies.

• Reply 91 of 100
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

There is something seriously suspect about the S5 used in that video. First, this is a store demo being shown. Who knows what has happened to that phone sitting out in the public. Let's start with the triangle with the exclamation in it (indicating a system error). I'm sure that some tampering has gone on. Plus anyone can find a video of a malfunctioning cellphone.

I should add that I don't now or have ever owned ANY Samsung product.

Excuses...

The phone is a demo unit.

The exclamation point is there because the phone is in 'demo mode' or whatever it's called.

• Reply 92 of 100
    r2d2r2d2 Posts: 95member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

There is something seriously suspect about the S5 used in that video. First, this is a store demo being shown. Who knows what has happened to that phone sitting out in the public. Let's start with the triangle with the exclamation in it (indicating a system error). I'm sure that some tampering has gone on. Plus anyone can find a video of a malfunctioning cellphone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgnkWjGvkYo

I should add that I don't now or have ever owned ANY Samsung product

Excuses...

The phone is a demo unit.

The exclamation point is there because the phone is in 'demo mode' or whatever it's called.

I guess there's no "excuse" for the 'non-demo unit' iPhone in the video either. That must be representative of all iPhones using your logic.

• Reply 93 of 100

That iPhone is clearly broken.

Where's the indication that this S5 is?

Also, my video showed how badly thought the S5 interface is, it's not only about lag.

• Reply 94 of 100
    Quote:

Also, my video showed how badly thought the S5 interface is, it's not only about lag.

Something is clearly wrong with that S5 as indicated by the error triangle icon. There is an app for the demo mode that wouldn't show that icon. At least the S5 is telling you that something is wrong where that iPhone isn't. And honestly, do you think all S5's work exactly like the one in the video? Really?!!

Point is, not every phone - no matter who the manufacture is - comes out working correctly. We can play dueling videos all day. Also, the interface is a matter of taste and unlike the iPhone can be changed to suit your needs or wants.

• Reply 95 of 100
    r2d2 wrote: »
    Something is clearly wrong with that S5

Part of that "something wrong" is Samsung's Touchwiz overlay on stock Android. The S5 might have impressive internals but when a $130 (that's right) Moto E is more responsive than a $700+ S5 then Samsung is absolutely doing something wrong. It's not Android to blame for the lag.
    [VIDEO]
  • Reply 96 of 100
    r2d2 wrote: »
    clemynx wrote: »

Something is clearly wrong with that S5 as indicated by the error triangle icon. There is an app for the demo mode that wouldn't show that icon. At least the S5 is telling you that something is wrong where that iPhone isn't. And honestly, do you think all S5's work exactly like the one in the video? Really?!!

Point is, not every phone - no matter who the manufacture is - comes out working correctly. We can play dueling videos all day. Also, the interface is a matter of taste and unlike the iPhone can be changed to suit your needs or wants.

You're absolutely correct—something is wrong with that S5; it's made by Samsung.
  • Reply 97 of 100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

I already told you, that triangle only comes from a notification that says that the phone is in demo mode. You can clearly see it when the notification pane is opened in the video.

• Reply 98 of 100
    Quote:

I already told you, that triangle only comes from a notification that says that the phone is in demo mode. You can clearly see it when the notification pane is opened in the video.

Honest question: Maybe I'm understanding this wrong but aren't there three separate notifications? Demo mode is a circle with a lower case "i" in it. The error is a triangle with a "!" in it.

• Reply 99 of 100
    Yes.

[QUOTE]Error retrieving information...[/QUOTE]