Samsung to challenge $120M damages award in Apple patent suit

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Re: the Samsung practices in the Vanity Fair article. 

I think the fact that they have these dishonest business practices, and that they can't design original things, are related. To design something truly new you have to ignore what has been done in the past and take a fresh look at reality. How good your design is will depend on your imagination, yes, but also on how clearly you see the facts. In other words good design requires fidelity to facts. But honesty is fidelity to facts too. So it's not surprising that a company as dishonest as that described in the article also does not come up with revolutionary designs.

• Reply 42 of 44
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    IIRC it was SolipsismX that brought it up here first. I don't think you or anyone else would consider him a troll. In fact he's one of the more balanced posters here IMO.

That "troll" meme is being used so much at AI it barely has any meaning or impact anymore. Seems as tho it's more often used simply as a lazy attempt at being dismissive when a rational considered response is just too much of an effort.

A troll is simply someone who doesn't tell the truth and indulges in FUD.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

I wish Samsung would just go away already and stick to making TVs and refrigerators. They're getting tiresome now.

They've made phones for a very long time. The only reason you see these articles is because they now chase the higher price tiers. Good luck on seeing an end to it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

Getting? I think they passed that stage a long time ago.

For the record, when we bought a new washer and dryer, I specifically excluded Samsung from the list even though their models topped most reviews. Their behavior towards Apple (stealing their designs and their mocking commercials topping the list) demonstrates a level of unethical behavior that I'm just not willing to support in any way. A refrigerator is probably next, and it won't be Samsung either.

I actually have used some of their appliances. The fridges make some annoying random noise. Their frontloader washers have issues in terms of water staying on the glass. They don't seem to use anything either antimicrobial on that surface or anything that to ensure it drips off by alleviating static friction between the two surfaces. Personal experience suggests you didn't miss out on much of anything. They aren't necessarily terrible. I only mentioned this in response to their high reviews.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

A troll is simply someone who doesn't tell the truth and indulges in FUD.

Unfortunately the troll meme isn't always applied that way. It's also a little silly when people call out that kind of thing rather than just enjoying the fact that a thread isn't overrun by trolling.