Samsung to challenge $120M damages award in Apple patent suit

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
South Korean electronics giant Samsung will reportedly challenge the $120 million in damages awarded to Apple as part of the companies' most recent courtroom battle, with Samsung's lead attorney saying the verdict was "unsupported by evidence."

"Of course we're pleased that the jury awarded Apple 6 percent of what they were asking for," Samsung attorney John Quinn said in a statement obtained by Bloomberg. "But even that can't stand, because Apple kept out all the real world evidence and didn't produce anything to substitute for it, so you have a verdict that's unsupported by evidence -- and that's just one of its problems."

Apple had asked the court for more than $2 billion after alleging Samsung infringed on five patents --?including swipe-to-text, universal search, and data detectors -- while a Samsung counterargument sought just over $6 million for two patents of its own. A jury found both parties guilty of infringement but ordered Samsung to pay just $119.6 million and Apple to deliver only $158,000 to its rival.

Following what was described as a "clerical error" that left Samsung unpenalized for at least one infringing handset, the jury subsequently revised individual payouts but left the total award unchanged.

Appealing the verdict would be a sound financial decision for Samsung, according to Villanova University law professor Michael Risch. "At this stage an appeal is cheap, even if the total can be reduced by $10-$20 million," Risch said.

Samsung has already lost more than $900 million to Apple after falling in two previous lawsuits. An unsuccessful appeal of this most recent skirmish would push Samsung's total losses to the iPhone maker over the billion dollar mark.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    cogitodextercogitodexter Posts: 196member
    I wish Samsung would just go away already and stick to making TVs and refrigerators. They're getting tiresome now.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Step 1: Admit you infringed on Apple patents
    Step 2: Lose
    Step 3: Appeal the verdict....even though the damages were ~5% of the original amount
  • Reply 3 of 44
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Here's an interesting article on Samsung and how they work:

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2014/06/apple-samsung-smartphone-patent-war.print

Any Samsung fans should have a good read about the company that makes their choice of smartphone/tablet.

(Thanks to Sol for passing this on.

EDIT: AND EricTheHalfBee for posting this yesterday!)
  • Reply 4 of 44
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

@GTR - that is such a great article.

• Reply 5 of 44
    clayderclayder Posts: 16member
    "Of course we're pleased that the jury awarded Apple 6 percent of what they were asking for"

Ugh John Quinn, the jury only awarded you 2.6% of what you were "asking for". Are you please the jury awarded you half of what they did Apple? Still want to try and spin your loss..
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2014/06/apple-samsung-smartphone-patent-war.print

Any Samsung fans should have a good read about the company that makes their choice of smartphone/tablet.

(Thanks to Sol for passing this on to me)

It's just a shame that not every one has the wherewithal to stand up to Samsung.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/17/5418616/samsung-sues-dyson-following-intolerable-copycat-claims

In this case, I guess Dyson realised they had to drop the suit or face mounting legal fees.

Here's their statement. 

Quote:

"Dyson pioneered cyclonic vacuum cleaners and digital motors – and has been developing them ever since. We patent our technology, and naturally defend it. It is surprising that a company over 100 times bigger than Dyson is so worried. The patent system offers us some protection, but not enough: with an army of lawyers, hidden prior art is occasionally found and ways to design around existing patents identified."

As the Vanity Fair article has shown, the tactic has worked well for Samsung - and until one of the judges handling the appeal agrees to an embargo or ban of their products, they will continue to produce new models, make more money all the while holding up the damages in appeals and appeals.

• Reply 7 of 44
    cogitodextercogitodexter Posts: 196member
    Quote:

Having read that article, I've resolved not to buy a single Samsung branded product ever again (not much I can do about components). Talk about corrupt!

I am very glad none of the TVs in my house are Samsung (Sharp, Toshiba and Sony here). When the time comes to replace the fridge I certainly won't be getting a Samsung again either. 

• Reply 8 of 44
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

I didn't look but I hope Sol put this link into the thread where someone more or less said he was crazy for thinking that this showdown cost anything near $120 million. The attached article says close to a billion.

• Reply 9 of 44
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Attorneys on fire. They can't help themselves. It's what they do.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post

It's just a shame that not every one has the wherewithal to stand up to Samsung.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/17/5418616/samsung-sues-dyson-following-intolerable-copycat-claims

In this case, I guess Dyson realised they had to drop the suit or face mounting legal fees.

Here's their statement. 

As the Vanity Fair article has shown, the tactic has worked well for Samsung - and until one of the judges handling the appeal agrees to an embargo or ban of their products, they will continue to produce new models, make more money all the while holding up the damages in appeals and appeals.

Oh boy - queue the DED article.....1.2.3.4....

• Reply 11 of 44
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member

PAYMENT IS DUE IMMEDIATELY, SAMSUNG!

• Reply 12 of 44
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    gtr wrote: »

It's funny how they say there's no evidence yet it's in their own code. Thanks for the link.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    To me this is a clear inditement on how screwed up the system is. Samsung sticking to its game plan. Business as usual.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    gtr wrote: »

Vanity Fair has an article that I'm sure Samsung won't be happy with.

Smartphone War

Yes it is good, which is why it linked it yesterday. :) :)

The really pathetic part of this article is the writer didn't list ALL the things Samsung has been caught doing, just the main ones.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Yes it is good, which is why it linked it yesterday. :) :)

The really pathetic part of this article is the writer didn't list ALL the things Samsung has been caught doing, just the main ones.

There weren't enough pages to list all of them...
  • Reply 16 of 44
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Whatever. Where are all the trolls who claimed Apple spent more on attorneys' fees than they won in this judgment? Even though Quinn Emanuel and partners[URL=http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/07/apple-v-samsung-whose-lawyers-are-getting-paid-in-the-smartphone-wars/] charged Samsung a higher hourly rate[/URL] (across the board) than Apple's lawyers. And now Samsung is going to spend even more to reduce or eliminate the $120M judgment on top of what they've already spent on both trials which they lost, and yet all the trolls wanna focus on is Apple's supposed "pyrrhic victory"? Please. Do the math. Apple is 2 for 2.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Samsung should be pleased with the ridiculously low damages awarded. The appeal court can just as easily raise the damages as they can lower them.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    ewtheckmanewtheckman Posts: 309member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

I wish Samsung would just go away already and stick to making TVs and refrigerators. They're getting tiresome now.

Getting? I think they passed that stage a long time ago.

For the record, when we bought a new washer and dryer, I specifically excluded Samsung from the list even though their models topped most reviews. Their behavior towards Apple (stealing their designs and their mocking commercials topping the list) demonstrates a level of unethical behavior that I'm just not willing to support in any way. A refrigerator is probably next, and it won't be Samsung either.

• Reply 19 of 44
    tastowetastowe Posts: 108member
    Oh shut up samsung company and to pay your **** bills
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

Getting? I think they passed that stage a long time ago.

For the record, when we bought a new washer and dryer, I specifically excluded Samsung from the list even though their models topped most reviews. Their behavior towards Apple (stealing their designs and their mocking commercials topping the list) demonstrates a level of unethical behavior that I'm just not willing to support in any way. A refrigerator is probably next, and it won't be Samsung either.

I'm generally a tolerant man, but my patience has rather run out.

Actually, when it came to replacing the washer last year, it was a choice between a high end Samsung and a high end LG. I chose the LG, despite the shorter warranty. I now feel good about myself :) Also the LG has an induction motor (rather than one with brushes) so it's incredibly quiet - the only one I'm aware of on the market. No doubt another idea for Samsung to pinch...