Combined iPad, Mac shipments make Apple world's largest PC vendor once again

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    lloydbm4 wrote: »
    Last time I checked, an iPad has no access to its file system. An iPad can't email various types of attachments. An iPad can't download or transfer various file formats. And an iPad lacks the ability to use something as simple as a mouse for fine media editing. But yeah, let's include it as a PC so some survey can proclaim Apple the #1 PC seller. This website always gives me a good chuckle.

So new definition, user access to file system defines a PC? I have to laugh though, in the years (and that's from when they first appeared) I've had to deal with end users on PCs the number one issue was the users had no clue how to save or find anything. The file system was a total mystery to them. "I don't know where it went". LOL
  • Reply 62 of 74
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,257member
    erann wrote: »
    I suppose the ultimately personal computer is a wearable computer, e.g. wrist computer. People occasionally share handheld computers but very seldom wearable computers.

The ultimate personal computer will be implanted and biologically merged with the user. Graphene and carbon nanotube electronics will allow this.
  • Reply 63 of 74
    wetlanderwetlander Posts: 38member
    [B]I remember when they told us a Mac wasn't a PC.[/B]
  • Reply 64 of 74
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member

Are the $300 notebooks/laptops/netbooks included in the "PC" totals for other companies? If so, then you have to include the iPad. Because they can't do any more than the iPad does.

It's as portable as these small laptops (put it in a bag, but not a pocket), does what they do, and is in the same general price range.

Phones are even more portable (pocket size) than the $300 laptops, so they wouldn't be included.

It's really not that hard.

• Reply 65 of 74
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    XXXXcut to the BS >>>> And no one cares about using a mouse on an iPad because A) People don't do any serious media editing on a tablet, but rather a PC/Mac. B) Can't do it on an iPad, even if they wanted to C) All the above.

1) Check out Todailies from Light Iron. Here's a write up from a year ago. http://jonnyelwyn.co.uk/film-video-editing-tools-for-editors/todailes-digital-dailies-ipad-app/

or

2) From the editor of Iron Man (what's up with iron and film???)... Dan Lebental is a man who has worked on editing hit Hollywood movies like Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Elf, and Cowboys & Aliens. Today Lebental launched a new editing app for filmmakers, TouchEdit, which he has described as “a 21st century version of the moviola,” designed to bring the simplicity of editing real film to the iPad.

3) I don't even know where to start with professional audio apps... just a ton, and almost all exclusive to iPad due to Andgroin Android lagging problems, and many easier and better integrated than from a PC.

4) Photography apps galore including Lightroom integration. There's even apps that turn an iPad into a configurable controller for your Mac (for all kinds of media software) that makes a mouse rather dated as an input device. Besides, many (most?) professional photo post-production and retouchers all have Wacom tablets anyway.... so you can keep your mouse.

5) Last but not least, the #1 reason given why many millions have bought MacBooks to run Windows? The best touch track pad on any computer known to man, thus doing away with absolutely needing to take a mouse along. Apple took that tech to the logical next step on the iPad.

Suffice it to say... you're either
    a) a blind, uneducated AND woefully inexperienced idiot if you still believe that you "need" a PC and mouse at all times during the creation, editing and previewing of visual and audio media... or
    b) what TS labeled you above: a sorry a** troll...

"... or all of the above!"
  • Reply 66 of 74
    gary deezygary deezy Posts: 19member

I was just reading this article and thinking.  Now, I may not be a typical user, but I have to say this:  For the first time in my life, I use my smartphone (I happen to be an iPhone user) more as a computing (email, social media, short messaging) and media consumption (videos, streaming music) and photography device way more than I use it to make phone calls.  

If we start including smartphones, too, into the "computer" count, I wonder where that would put Apple in the mix?

• Reply 67 of 74
    chocolimchocolim Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Weird.. My iPad mirrors on my Apple TV connected TV/monitor without an issue. Oh.. and I can use my iPad as a second screen for my Macbook if I want to.

There are equivalent apps available in the app store. They may not be as feature rich but they do the functions. There is no standard PC definition that says a PC must run x,y, and z software to be a PC.

Only 400GB?! I have complete access to my 2TB NAS from my iPad locally and over the internet.

Again, check the app store. There many apps that let you edit webpages and view them within the app itself.

Next..

PS. I am not saying the iPad should or should not be considered a PC. My point is those who say it is not a PC need to come up with better arguments. All the arguments I hear are software related and only used by very small percentage of people.

I think is better work on a Apple Cinema Display than work on a TV. And i think is even better to work on 2 Apple Cinema Display. Sorry I want glamour. When i work.

Good luck working with that 400gb files with your iPad on the go, like  a Macbook

You can try do all that with an iPad. You will be more productive doing those things on a MacPro or a iMac.

I will be using an iPad to work if i can do all that i need to do. I only can use for read emails, i cant even use it to answer emails.

If i need to carry a keyboard with my iPad, I think i will be better with a MacBook Air.

• Reply 68 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

It depends on what sort of work you do, where PC's are being used most.

Not everyone is editing 4K video, compiling massive spreadsheets or coding software on their PC's.

Before Internet connectivity came to the workplace the main use of work based PC's was probably Solitaire closely followed by Minesweeper.

You are very right. I am saying that you will need a PC for work that you cant use an iPad for.

An iPad is not a PC replacement, yet. There are people today that dont need a PC, so there are fine with an iPad.

• Reply 69 of 74
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Interestingly enough, I ran into a problem in this regard this very morning.

In applying for a grant, they asked to attach a file of the relevant 501c information. Of course, this was impossible from the iPad. I could open the file in my e-mail, of course, but moving it from there to Safari wasn’t possible.

I imagine iOS 8 or 9 will fix this, and it will be done without access to a filesystem in any capacity.

• Reply 70 of 74
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Last time I checked, an iPad has no access to its file system. An iPad can't email various types of attachments. An iPad can't download or transfer various file formats. And an iPad lacks the ability to use something as simple as a mouse for fine media editing. But yeah, let's include it as a PC so some survey can proclaim Apple the #1 PC seller. This website always gives me a good chuckle.

Chuckle off to Buffalo.
  • Reply 71 of 74
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    chocolim wrote: »
    nasserae wrote: »

Weird.. My iPad mirrors on my Apple TV connected TV/monitor without an issue. Oh.. and I can use my iPad as a second screen for my Macbook if I want to.

There are equivalent apps available in the app store. They may not be as feature rich but they do the functions. There is no standard PC definition that says a PC must run x,y, and z software to be a PC.

Only 400GB?! I have complete access to my 2TB NAS from my iPad locally and over the internet.

Again, check the app store. There many apps that let you edit webpages and view them within the app itself.

Next..

PS. I am not saying the iPad should or should not be considered a PC. My point is those who say it is not a PC need to come up with better arguments. All the arguments I hear are software related and only used by very small percentage of people.

I think is better work on a Apple Cinema Display than work on a TV. And i think is even better to work on 2 Apple Cinema Display. Sorry I want glamour. When i work.

Good luck working with that 400gb files with your iPad on the go, like  a Macbook

You can try do all that with an iPad. You will be more productive doing those things on a MacPro or a iMac.

I will be using an iPad to work if i can do all that i need to do. I only can use for read emails, i cant even use it to answer emails.

If i need to carry a keyboard with my iPad, I think i will be better with a MacBook Air.

Rather than vomit lies, shut up and go away.
  • Reply 72 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Rather than vomit lies, shut up and go away.

Why do you think i am lying?

Maybe for you is hard to have two cinemas display. But it isnt if you are good in what you do.

• Reply 73 of 74
    I love how people are arguing that tablets aren't PC's it seems people have forgotten what PC even stands for "personal computer" if a tablet isn't a personal computer I don't know what is?
  • Reply 74 of 74
    The user and all related content has been deleted.