Beats deal defenders cite 'humanized' music subscription service as benefit to Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 243
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Best analysis on this potential buy I have read.

Apple Is Acquiring A Fad - Not Quality - And That Is Troubling

• Reply 22 of 243
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    ralphmouth wrote: »

Depends on Beats's net income.

Obviously true, the question is what royalties they pay on the music as I don't think the hardware is all that relevant to Apple.
  • Reply 23 of 243
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Is this going to be found out as yet another rumour like Apple health ear buds?
  • Reply 24 of 243
    Apple is doomed

(.)

I guess nothing good can last forever
  • Reply 25 of 243
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    I have never owned a pair of Beats but my friends that have had nothing but problems. Sure they were under warranty but dropping hundreds of dollars on crap. I'd rather not. Bose please.
  • Reply 26 of 243
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    My original iMac had Harmon Kardon speakers I believe built in.
    Beats are just trendy junk.
  • Reply 27 of 243
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gwmac wrote: »

This is so sad to me. Apple ruining its brand to get some street cred from young hipsters. :no:
  • Reply 28 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maclvr03 View Post

I have never owned a pair of Beats but my friends that have had nothing but problems. Sure they were under warranty but dropping hundreds of dollars on crap. I'd rather not. Bose please.

LOL, Bose is the Beats for old people. Overpriced crap that relies on marketing not quality. Any and I mean any audiophile site will confirm that. Companies like Sennheiser make quality products and also have a lot of IP protecting that. It seems Beats only has design type patents which are useless as trends change. All they did was use cheap Chinese OEM phones and added some bass and a big marketing campaign. 

Beats were also valued at only around $1B less than a year ago. What happened in the last 12 months to add another $2B?

• Reply 29 of 243
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    I thought it was the Department of Redundancy Department.
    [SIZE=10px]This message brought to by the Needless Corrections Bureau.[/SIZE]

Ha ha ha! Right you are. I get a quite a few quotes from that era misremembered. Wonder why? : )
  • Reply 30 of 243
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

This is so sad to me. Apple ruining its brand to get some street cred from young hipsters. image

The acquisition isn't about the headphones and speakers.  Apple could snap up a thousand companies that do a solid job 

with audio. 

What you cannot find easily is a service with good music curation.  I've tried them all.  Spotify sucks, Rdio isn't much better.    All the services let me listen to days and days of music but few really helped me discover new artists.   

• Reply 31 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The acquisition isn't about the headphones and speakers.  Apple could snap up a thousand companies that do a solid job 

with audio. 

What you cannot find easily is a service with good music curation.  I've tried them all.  Spotify sucks, Rdio isn't much better.    All the services let me listen to days and days of music but few really helped me discover new artists.   

That may very well be true but I find it hard to believe Beats which is a marketing/gimmicky type company reliant on a celebrity managed to come up with a $3B algorithm that Apple and other companies couldn't create on their own or buy far cheaper elsewhere. I am not sure people are all that interested in new artists in any event. When I tune into music while I drive everyday from my iPhone I generally will just pick a station on Pandora and in the last week I have started to use iTunes a bit more and  find myself pulled to the Top hits stations from various genres and decades depending on my mood. 

• Reply 32 of 243
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Interview of Iovine with Mossberg: http://live.wsj.com/video/producer-jimmy-iovine-at-d-dive-into-media/B135580F-2DC6-47CD-8BAD-924E07AB6C21.html#!B135580F-2DC6-47CD-8BAD-924E07AB6C21 (video, approx. 40 minutes)

1) He pooh-poohs Apple's included headphones. For that reason alone I'd like to see Apple do anything that will correct that.

2) This makes me think about the previous rumour of high-quality music being sold. Could Iovine be instrumental in getting that to happen?

3) Beats bought MOG earlier this year: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOG_(online_music)

4) Iovine talks about how Spotify is limited. He makes a lot of good points.

5) That algorithm sounds like it's right up Apple's street.

6) I love what he had to said (starting about 28 minutes in) about how music companies will never get technology right and technology companies will never get curation right. I'm digging this idea of excellent curation and I do want to know what the next song is.

Thanks just watched that right through.

I wonder if that is the older style earbuds he is slamming. The newer ones are a major step forward. That said I use my Audio-Tenchica studio cans whenever I can (no pun intended).

I even like a radio DJ that tells you what you just heard as well as what's next.
  • Reply 33 of 243
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member
    That service is worth $3.5 Billion?

Tim Cook is the next Ballmer. He has no vision! Two years after Jobs' passing he's still sitting on all of the major Apple products.

Will he buy Monster Cables next? How about more audiophool snake oil companies like Beats?

Tim Cook fired the true Steve Jobs successor: Scott Forstall! Scott wouldn't make these idiotic deals that Tim's making.

While Google and Facebook are "skating where the puck is going to be, Apple's skating where the puck was 10 or 100 years ago".
  • Reply 34 of 243
    hmurchison wrote: »
    with audio. 

I'm sorry but music curation is not worth $3B. Neither is Jimmy Iovine. On CNBC this morning they said it was all about the headphones. I'm sure Apple retail knows how many beats headphones they sell and Cook and finance know how huge the margins are on them. They're cheap headphones that people are willing to pay lots of $$ for. That's what makes me sad as it seems like this is just a money grab. Or Apple wrongly thinking they need to improve their "cool factor" and that Beats is the way to do it.
  • Reply 35 of 243
    pimentopimento Posts: 4member
    They forgot the "mo of" at the end of the quote. Stay classy Apple. You don't need these turds.

I can't be the only person who thinks this is a terrible comment. Stay classy GadgetCanadaV2. :no:
  • Reply 36 of 243
    bighype wrote: »
    That service is worth $3.5 Billion?

Tim Cook is the next Ballmer. He has no vision! Two years after Jobs' passing he's still sitting on all of the major Apple products.

Will he buy Monster Cables next? How about more audiophool snake oil companies like Beats?

Tim Cook fired the true Steve Jobs successor: Scott Forstall! Scott wouldn't make these idiotic deals that Tim's making.

While Google and Facebook are "skating where the puck is going to be, Apple's skating where the puck was 10 or 100 years ago".
    Scott Forstall was the true Jobs successor? Excuse me while roll on the floor laughing my ass off.
  • Reply 37 of 243
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

That may very well be true but I find it hard to believe Beats which is a marketing/gimmicky type company reliant on a celebrity managed to come up with a $3B algorithm that Apple and other companies couldn't create on their own or buy far cheaper elsewhere. I am not sure people are all that interested in new artists in any event. When I tune into music while I drive everyday from my iPhone I generally will just pick a station on Pandora and in the last week I have started to use iTunes a bit more and  find myself pulled to the Top hits stations from various genres and decades depending on my mood. 

From what i've read the Beasts Music curation is largely human.  Whatever they've done they are ahead of the competition in quality...for now. 

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2014/01/21/beatsmusic

I really need great music curation.   Any service can slam me into the Top-40 stuff.  I want to feel as though i've got my own personal DJ on staff that knows what I like. 

• Reply 38 of 243
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I’m not sure how you could call it even a good analysis, as they consider rumor to be fact. They say so right in the first sentence. Why would anyone listen to them after that?

• Reply 39 of 243
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hmurchison wrote: »

That's the only thing that makes sense to me but is that really worth billions? Is that something Apple really couldn't create or license?

Thanks just watched that right through.

I wonder if that is the older style earbuds he is slamming. The newer ones are a major step forward. That said I use my Audio-Tenchica studio cans whenever I can (no pun intended).

I even like a radio DJ that tells you what you just heard as well as what's next.

Maybe, but that video is from earlier this year so it's hard to tell. I certainly don't like the new ones. Granted they are much improved over the old ones but I won't use them.
  • Reply 40 of 243
    If Apple goes through with this, my guess is Eddy Cue will no longer be overseeing iTunes. Which is fine because he has more than enough on his plate with iCloud, Siri, maps and the App Store.