Beats acquisition would give Iovine and Dr. Dre senior positions at Apple, report says

Comments

• Reply 501 of 599
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    duplicate (AI Curated my next post).
  • Reply 502 of 599
    I watched the forty minute interview with Iovine and Mossberg.

Iovine bears a passing resemblance to Steve Jobs in the way he talks. He seems like a nice guy; thoughtful, too.

He's searching for nirvana. Nirvana will never be reached. That's the beauty and pain of music. 

Why do we want curation of music? Do we want it? The secret of music is surprise. We want to be surprised, but not too much. And there is good surprise and bad surprise.

I wasn't convinced at all by Iovine in the interview. You could see that Mossberg wasn't, either. Mossberg presented Iovine with two angles: he asked Iovine whether the best approach was shuffling your playlist, as loved by Steve Jobs; the joy of being surprised by what was coming up next. Iovine rebuffed this. Mossberg then suggested that you could also play an album through, where you know what's coming. Again, Iovine's response - not nirvana. iTunes Radio? Spotify? No.

Music is such a complex, personal thing. There is no way that a computer or stranger is ever going to give you the perfect playlist or 'next song,' as Iovine called it. Sometimes, Pandora or Spotify or the radio or your playlist will give you a happy sequence of songs which work well together, sometimes it won't. How do we know what we want? Disappointment is inevitable.

The music industry will never reach what it had in the past. There was a time when music was glorious, and we bought albums, and the industry made a killing as we all bought songs we didn't want. Along came Steve Jobs and iTunes, which allowed everyone to buy just what they wanted. Profits were decimated. No matter how fine the music that is created now, the industry will never get anywhere near the profits it used to enjoy.

Why do we constantly need new things, new sensations? What's wrong with liking our favourite foods and sticking with them? Do we jettison our friends or family after a few years? Sometimes, I guess. Is every decade of music equal? No. Is there a law that says that every year, music will get better and better, much as we expect our computers to get faster and faster? No. 

I love it when I hear good music for the first time, or when it grows on me. Most music created, whilst of some value, doesn't pass the test of time. So the more you expose yourself to music you haven't heard, the more likely you are to be disappointed. But you may also hear a gem. 

We shouldn't be greedy. Imagine if you only heard one piece of music in your whole life. Which one would it be? 

Only one ... Mmm ... I'm not religious but this version of this song would be right up there:\

http://www.icompositions.com/sf44103034025770/602/25485God_Be_With_You_till_we_meet_again.mp3

You have to listen for a bit to hear the magic.

It's done by one person on a Mac -- she lost track of how many voices she was singing.

While you're there check out some of her other songs.
  • Reply 503 of 599
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member

Beautiful; and aptly conforms very strongly to the Fibonacci Sequence. Thanks for the link.
  • Reply 504 of 599
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Artistically it's no different than what David Bowie, KISS, Twisted Sister, Madonna, Ministry, Alice Cooper, Lady Gaga or any other group that use visual appeal to augment their music. Not all were as musically as talented as others but it's all music. Personally, I'd put Madonna, KISS, and Ministry at the bottom end of the spectrum.

I wonder how many on here considered anything by Suicidal Tendencies as 'music' way back when.

Institutionalized:

I saw your mommy:
  • Reply 505 of 599
    1 user thought this was helpful.

SolipsismX
    "AND IT'S BEAUTIFUL. YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED"

Alas, my lovely wife would probably agree with you these days.

I agree with you that 'Stupid Hoe' by Nicki Minaj is beautiful—if beauty is ugliness and good is evil.

What I find odd about it is that I didn't see a single shot of a gardening implement. She certainly sounded frustrated by it. Maybe there were troublesome weeds, or perhaps she was just having a bad day in the garden.

I guess we’ll never know.
  • Reply 506 of 599
    Duplicated.
  • Reply 507 of 599
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I wonder how many on here considered anything by Suicidal Tendencies as 'music' way back when.

Institutionalized:

I saw your mommy:

I remember my parents refusing to accept the Rolling Stones played music or that the Beatle's hair was real! LOL
  • Reply 508 of 599
    How music is today.

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/T6j4f8cHBIM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

That was brilliant!

My hat's off to the video editor!
  • Reply 509 of 599
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

PS: I wanted to add Liberace to that list but I don't think he was trying to shock even though it shocked me.

Wow, that really brings me back. Liberace accomplished something I'm not sure anyone else ever did. I had pretty subversive musical tastes as a kid but I thought he was too bizarre. My grandmother, on the other hand thought he was the greatest thing ever. "Such a nice man". I was shocked but Stella, who was shocked if Andy Williams said "Darn", wasn't shocked.

Props to Liberace for figuring out the best trojan horse in entertainment.
  • Reply 510 of 599
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Artistically it's no different than what David Bowie, KISS, Twisted Sister, Madonna, Ministry, Alice Cooper, Lady Gaga or any other group ...

[videos]

So is YouTube phasing out HTML video. For me like 80% of the videos don't load unless I restore Flash in Ghostery. Can't figure it out. Of course when you enable Flash YouTube inundates you with ads but the videos work immediately.

• Reply 511 of 599

Beautiful; and aptly conforms very strongly to the Fibonacci Sequence. Thanks for the link.

I am so enraptured by that song that I never even paid attention to the progressions -- but then, nature, math and music are closely related ... except for sitars and hammered dulcimers -- impossible to play boogie boogie on either. :D

As kids we attended Sunday School every week at a Lutheran Church (Minneapolis). We were constantly exposed to hymns accompanied by a spinster piano player. She poured everything she had into the accompaniment and would finish the class totally exhausted ... The sound captures my gut to this day:

This is the best I could find -- the piano runs just grab me:

[VIDEO]

Big Daddy still has it!
  • Reply 512 of 599
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Because Dr. Dre brings absolutely nothing to the table that would warrent his place as an Apple Exec right? Certainly not his clout as a music industry legend right?

Considering his personal net worth is $550 million dollars the guy must be doing something wrong right? Smh

Worth is relative. Kardashians are worth something, but I wouldn't like my company to be associated with them.

I'm not using Apple phone/iPod right now, but if I were, I'd rather see them getting cosy with Sennheiser or such; a company with more quality and less marketing in their products. Last Beats headset I have been using looked very premium (Beats Solo), but sound and build quality were just not up to the street price of product; luckily I got mine through HP's promo bundle offer, so I don't have any personal grudge against hem - they were free - but like I said, I wasn't impressed with product at all. My Sony MDR-ZX300, with same physical size but at 1/3 of Beats Sole street price, gave me noticeably nicer sound. While Beats had over-exaggerated bass and unclear, muffled mids and highs, Sony would give me a bit less bass (but still very decent) with much nicer mids and high tones.
  • Reply 513 of 599
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    So is YouTube phasing out HTML video. For me like 80% of the videos don't load unless I restore Flash in Ghostery. Can't figure it out. Of course when you enable Flash YouTube inundates you with ads but the videos work immediately.

I've played all those in HTML with Safari 7.0.4 (9537.76.2) on my Mac with the ClickToFlash extension version 2.9.3 installed.
  • Reply 514 of 599

I am so enraptured by that song that I never even paid attention to the progressions -- but then.nature, math and music are closely related ... except for sitars and hammered dulcimers -- impossible to play boogie boogie on either. :D

And you say you're not religious? I guess one man's religion is another man's music.
  • Reply 515 of 599
    I've played all those in HTML with Safari 7.0.4 (9537.76.2) on my Mac with the ClickToFlash extension version 2.9.3 installed.
    mstone wrote: »

Ad Blocker and Click to Flash are the way to go.
  • Reply 516 of 599

I am so enraptured by that song that I never even paid attention to the progressions -- but then.nature, math and music are closely related ... except for sitars and hammered dulcimers -- impossible to play boogie boogie on either. :D

And you say you're not religious? I guess one man's religion is another man's music.

Touché Monsieur Pussycat!.

Really, I was raised Lutheran, Methodist, attended Catholic, and Baptist churches -- never found anything that fit -- but I believe there is something? guiding us -- fate, serendipity, what goes around ...

When we lived in Las Vegas, a bunch of us would frequently get together and sing, play guitars ... mixed religions: me, my late wife a devout Catholic, some Jewish, etc ... Lucy, my wife, loved the free-wheeling (non-Latin?) Protestant hymns ... But some were confusingly similar. e.g. Standing On The Promises of God, Leaning On The Everlasting Arms. etc. After a few drinks she would say something like: "Let's sing that song ... you know that Standing, Stooping Squatting song (she was a Jewel), She would also insist, at live performances, that the Dukes of Dixieland and/or Pete Fountain play her fave Dixieland tune: Diddly Rambler

Anyway, I cannot imagine a life without music!

... "Why, that's moose-turd pie ... Good, though!" -- Utah Phillips

P.S. Safari experienced an uber-barf -- I had so many windows and tabs open (Beats curate me, please!)
  • Reply 517 of 599
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    1 user thought this was helpful.

SolipsismX
    "AND IT'S BEAUTIFUL. YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED"

Alas, my lovely wife would probably agree with you these days.

I agree with you that 'Stupid Hoe' by Nicki Minaj is beautiful—if beauty is ugliness and good is evil.

What I find odd about it is that I didn't see a single shot of a gardening implement. She certainly sounded frustrated by it. Maybe there were troublesome weeds, or perhaps she was just having a bad day in the garden.

I guess we’ll never know.

I was definitely more frustrated trying to watch that video to it's bitter end. Must be me getting old.
  • Reply 518 of 599
    Touché Monsieur Pussycat!.

Off topic but I have to ask ...

Was that from my favorite Tom and Jerry cartoon? ......The two Mouseketeers? "Pourquoi faites-vous moi toujours mal monsieur pussy cat?", "Pauvre, pauvre monsieur pussy cat, c'est la guerre"
  • Reply 519 of 599
    nikon133 wrote: »
    I was definitely more frustrated trying to watch that video to it's bitter end. Must be me getting old.

Its bitter end was the past part, loved the eye. lol
  • Reply 520 of 599
    This thread broke 500 posts before the end of the weekend? I'm amazed. So much handwringing. So much doom.