Beats acquisition would give Iovine and Dr. Dre senior positions at Apple, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
Continuing with ongoing reports and speculation surrounding Apple's rumored buy of Beats Electronics, a report on Friday claims the music company's cofounders, Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre, would likely net senior positions in Cupertino if a deal does indeed happen.

Source: Beats Music

Citing sources familiar with the matter, The Wall Street Journal reports that the two Beats executives would move to senior positions at Apple in the case of a buyout. Discussions over a $3.2 billion acquisition are said to be in their final stages, according to a slew of reports on Thursday.

It is not clear what roles Iovine and Andre Young -- who performs under the stage name Dr. Dre -- would operate, though one source said Iovine will leave his seat as chairman of record label Interscope Geffen A&M for the opportunity. The music mogul is still under contract with parent company Universal Music, which itself has a 14 percent stake in Beats, though it is likely Iovine will be allowed to leave if Apple goes through with the rumored deal.

A report yesterday claimed Iovine was in talks to become a "special advisor" to Apple CEO Tim Cook, but did not mention Young's role in the process. At the time, it was speculated that the music exec would enter Apple under a so-called "acqui-hire" agreement that could feasibly be extended to Young as well.

Although pundits and analysts have questioned the motives behind Apple's as-yet-unannounced acquisition, there are benefits to be had from a Beats buy.

For example, aside from its popular audio hardware lineup, the Beats brand built out a relatively successful music streaming service. Defenders of the Apple-Beats tie-up say Beats Music and the Beats management team could serve as underpinnings for future content negotiations.

Despite Iovine being a close personal friend of Apple cofounder Steve Jobs, he never had a tangible impact on the Cupertino, Calif. company's products aside from working on various marketing collaborations with big-name artists. With Cook now at the helm, Apple may be more open to having both Iovine and Young on board.

Carrying substantial clout in the industry, as well as fresh ideas regarding music distribution, the Beats executives could be worth the rumored $3.2 billion investment in the long term.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 599
    tomhayestomhayes Posts: 128member

This makes me believe it even less.

• Reply 2 of 599
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Dr Dre is going to be an Apple executive. Cook has lost his fucking mind. :no:
  • Reply 3 of 599
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member
    When will this nightmare end?

While Google and Facebook are buying up the future (AI, VR, messaging, etc), Apple's buying up urban brands.

Crazy times we live in!

Dear Tim, you're the next Steve Ballmer, not the next Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 3 of 599
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

No point commenting further until some solid info is released.

• Reply 5 of 599
    toukaletoukale Posts: 38member

Well, that's one way to make a bold statement that none of the current players in the music streaming have done anything corner the market.

• Reply 6 of 599
    And Jony announces his retirement in 5, 4, 3....
  • Reply 7 of 599
    Now that I know Apple is willing to make just about anyone a senior executive, I'm letting them know I'm available too. I know a thing or two about something that might be useful to someone someday.
  • Reply 8 of 599
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    The Playstation division is heavily influenced by music folks. They figured out a way to make creative media staff work well with techies. Those account managers treat the game developers like talents in the music industry. Folks loved it. A lot of creative work came out of the unlikely "partnership".

Will be interesting to what Apple's choices are.
  • Reply 9 of 599
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member
    In the next installment of this series of rumors building upon rumors, these two rumored Apple co-CEOs will be picking out their furniture for their rumored offices in the mother ship.
  • Reply 10 of 599
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patsu View Post

The Playstation division is heavily influenced by music folks. They figured out a way to make creative media staff work well with techies. Those account managers treat the game developers like talents in the music industry. Folks loved it. A lot of creative work came out of the unlikely "partnership".

Will be interesting to what Apple's choices are.

How that working out for Sony? Sony lost it's way by buying and working with content people who will never advance hardware ever.

• Reply 11 of 599
    danox wrote: »
    How that working out for Sony? Sony lost it's way by buying and working with content people who will never advance hardware ever.

That's not true. PS3 was indeed over-engineered during its time. They need to do it just right. Not too far ahead, and not behind.

And a lot of exclusive, creative titles came out of it.

The Playstation division remains a bright spot in Sony group today.
  • Reply 12 of 599
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member
    I heard a rumor that Jimmy Iovine will be given Steve's favorite parking spot in the handicap parking lot.
  • Reply 13 of 599
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member
    If rumor is true - its a strategic content play, not hardware/software in my humble opinion. With regards music positioning its could be a smart move. (big music picture - beyond rap or hip hop). The same thing for Apple TV - a lot of future hires will feel like square pegs in a round hole.
  • Reply 14 of 599
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »

Where is the press release confirming any of this? At least try to stave off your disgust until there is actual proof. Is that really too much to ask.

bighype wrote: »
    When will this nightmare end?

While Google and Facebook are buying up the future (AI, VR, messaging, etc), Apple's buying up urban brands.

Crazy times we live in!

Dear Tim, you're the next Steve Ballmer, not the next Steve Jobs.

Do you remember the iPod release? No one seemed to get it and all thought Apple had finally made their last mistake but it turned out to be the key to Apple's path back to greatness.
  • Reply 15 of 599
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Claims of buying this for its Contracts with Labels or ``Streaming Service algorithms'' makes me question you folks knowledge of Apple and the actual massive streaming infrastructure Apple already has in-place, not to mention the algorithms they've been developing for the past 16 years.

Apple has been getting content producers on-board for the past 18 months.

There is something else, at work, in this arrangement.

• Reply 16 of 599
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buckalec View Post

If rumor is true - its a strategic content play, not hardware/software in my humble opinion. With regards music positioning its could be a smart move. (big music picture - beyond rap or hip hop). The same thing for Apple TV - a lot of future hires will feel like square pegs in a round hole.

I question the need to divide them into media, hardware/software people explicitly. It's 2014. The music execs we all fought in the early 2000s may have evolved. There are also new blood. Many folks are half media and half tech these days. As long as they figure out an organic plan to work together, it should be interesting. 

I expect a few blow ups though. Otherwise, they may not be pushing it enough. This sort of mix talent gigs might actually define the next culture.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Claims of buying this for its Contracts with Labels or ``Streaming Service algorithms'' makes me question you folks knowledge of Apple and the actual massive streaming infrastructure Apple already has in-place, not to mention the algorithms they've been developing for the past 16 years.

Apple has been getting content producers on-board for the past 18 months.

Yeah, I didn't think it's hard sciences too. Apple have those. Show us something more interesting. Jobs said they are standing at the junction of liberal arts and engineering.

• Reply 17 of 599
    Like???
  • Reply 18 of 599
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Where is the press release confirming any of this? At least try to stave off your disgust until there is actual proof. Is that really too much to ask.

Do you remember the iPod release? No one seemed to get it and all thought Apple had finally made their last mistake but it turned out to be the key to Apple's path back to greatness.

Sorry but mediocre headphones ain't an iPod. What's sad is that they didn't even buy a good headphone company!

What's next for Timmy? Monster Cables? Maybe FUBU? Some other bling company?

Tim Cook really is one of the worst leaders that Apple could have picked.

They need to bring back Scott Forstall. Now that guy had a vision! Too bad Timmy axed him because he was his only competition.

• Reply 19 of 599
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Because Dr. Dre brings absolutely nothing to the table that would warrent his place as an Apple Exec right? Certainly not his clout as a music industry legend right?

Considering his personal net worth is $550 million dollars the guy must be doing something wrong right? Smh
  • Reply 20 of 599
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Considering his personal net worth is $550 million dollars the guy must be doing something wrong right? Smh

I fail to see what personal worth has anything whatsoever to do with Apple.