Rumor: Apple to bring split-screen multitasking to iPad with iOS 8

Comments

• Reply 61 of 133
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

private browsing.

How will that hide apps like grindr, tindr, adult friend finder, POF, kik, and so many others. You need to physically be able to hide the apps themselves from snooping eyes. 

• Reply 62 of 133
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Safari refreshes don't bother me because, you know, web pages were always backed up in this new cloud thing called the World Wide Web. But hey, if you like stale web pages, complain away!

At least it should provide as an option to auto refresh or refresh on demand.  It kills my monthly data plan allowance.

• Reply 63 of 133
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    aaronj wrote: »
    Personally, I can't see a valid use case scenario for this.  Maybe others do, I don't know.  Good for them.  But I can't think of a single time in all of my iPad use that I thought, "Oh, if only I could have two screens side by side!"

The Notifications panel and Control Center are examples of using a separate process without leaving the current process. You could for example have a browser open and open the settings app to reconnect to wifi or a VPN and test different settings without having to jump between them. You could have a calculator app next to Numbers or a PDF with your accounts. A split may not work at all in portrait because the landscape UI would be designed for a full width but in landscape, the apps on either side of the split could just switch to portrait.

Sports would be an important use case. If someone is watching a live game feed but needs to send out an email, they don't want to miss anything.

It can be a simple gesture to enable it e.g touch the top center and center of the display and it splits in two. The active app would shuffle to the left and the most recently used app on the right. They have a gesture to switch apps so you'd do 4-finger swipe on each side to switch the apps. The multi-tasking view would switch out the active context. a gesture on the split bar can get rid of it.

If you don't use it, the iPad would just behave as normal.
  • Reply 64 of 133
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

How about playing team based games that rely on an external chat program for very fast coordination and orders. Team based games like Modern War, Kingdom Age, Clash of Clans, and many more are among the most popular apps and earn the most money of all apps for Apple. Most teams rely on apps like Palringo, Line, Kakao Talk, or Line to give battle orders or to communicate strategy. It is extremely irritating to close game and chat app back and forth 100 times or more during an event. If You could have a game open along with your chat app that would make all team based game players extremely happy. These games often rely on split second timing for some events and split screen would solve a very real problem now. Most people either use 2 devices or the chat program on their computer as a workaround but that won't work if all you have is your iPhone on the road. 

As I said, *I* can't think of a single use case.  For me.

And seeing as I haven't played a team game (iOS, console, or PC) -- this obviously doesn't apply to me.

• Reply 65 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wigby View Post

You just described about .01% of iPad users. Apple doesn't spend time on updates and features unless they are sure it will benefit at least 50% of their user base (visually impaired or handicapped being the only exception of that I can think of). I'm sure others can come up with 100 more multi-tasking examples too but I'm also sure that virtually no one would even use split screen multitasking the same way no one uses it on Samsung tablets. Samsung adds many features for marketing and competition's sake. Apple doesn't play that game.

Wow are you out of touch with iOS users. Take a look at the top charts on the app store. The #1 freemium is clash of clans which is a team based game that requires a chat app like Palringo. Well not requires but it sure makes things much easier.  It might not be the majority of users but I can damn sure guarantee you the percentage of people playing games or even other apps that would benefit from a chat type app is a hell of a lot higher than .01%. 

• Reply 66 of 133
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Ha cool, another one of Samsung's features that Apple will be using/stealing. 

Haha cool, another one of full OS's features that Samsung was using/stealing. For the record, Samsung didn't create any popular OS, but Google's. Samsung use Android in their devices and splitted screen is a software feature, not hardware. Got it?

• Reply 67 of 133
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Wow are you out of touch with iOS users. Take a look at the top charts on the app store. The #1 freemium is clash of clans which is a team based game that requires a chat app like Palringo. Well not requires but it sure makes things much easier.  It might not be the majority of users but I can damn sure guarantee you the percentage of people playing games or even other apps that would benefit from a chat type app is a hell of a lot higher than .01%. 

By your definition Apple is also out of touch with users too. No SDK for Apple TV games and no Apple branded controllers. It sounds like Apple prioritizes the things that most of their users base cares about.

And If chat is so valuable to gamers then why haven't any of these game developers done it themselves? They have all the tools but I suspect it's a small subset of gamers that would actually care.

• Reply 68 of 133
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

Surprised that no Fandroid jumped on this and said: our android devices had this 3 years ago…blah, blah…

BTW, if Apple want to do this, do this in a better way: open the same app on 2 splitted screens, not only multitasking of different apps, but the same app. Why? Facetime with two different people on the same screen would be cool.

• Reply 69 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I too struggle to see a real use case for side by side apps. If I needed to compare two documents where my eyes would scan back and forth between both documents, I can see how that would be beneficial. But how many times does that really happen? What other times do you need to be looking at two things at the same time for an extended period of time? I regularly copy/paste data between apps or look up something, and switching back and forth seems fine for those purposes. If you're reviewing a document with someone over Facetime, does that person really need to see your face reading a document? When are you actually doing 2 things at the exact same time and does that justify such a big change? I'm assuming side by side apps is not a trivial matter to design/code/test.

Totally agree, actually one of the things I appreciate the most from iOS is that it allows me to focus in one thing at a time, a hard thing to do in this hyper-connected world. I remember an ad from some laptop manufacturer where it was promoting its larger-wider screen to be a multitasker, in the screen there was a window with Odissey 2001 and at its left there was some facebook timeline/chat. I can't imagine watching this Kubrik's classic full of sound, images and abstraction while browsing facebook. You either missing the movie or the social thread or both.

By the way, I also like very much iWork apps on OSX since you can work on full screen. I really haven't seen a match for it in any other OS, very very productive.

• Reply 70 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

If a website can crash Safari, there's something wrong with the browser.

Umm, that goes against about 30 years of web experience.  Yes, there could be something wrong with the browser.  But if the browser works generally, but fails 100% on a particular site, then something is wrong in the design of that site.

Also:

iPad Air, iOS 7.1.1

Quote:

How will that hide apps like grindr, tindr, adult friend finder, POF, kik, and so many others. You need to physically be able to hide the apps themselves from snooping eyes. 

Well, I can think of a fairly simple way to hide them from all but the most investigative, paranoid eyes.  Just make a folder, like [Other], and put them into the folder on a back page of the folder.  

And really, if someone is constantly perusing your device for apps like that, you're busted already.

• Reply 71 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Well, I can think of a fairly simple way to hide them from all but the most investigative, paranoid eyes.  Just make a folder, like [Other], and put them into the folder on a back page of the folder.  

And really, if someone is constantly perusing your device for apps like that, you're busted already.

LOL, how did you know? Notifications from these apps are the only other issue. You have to remember to turn them off and on again. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wigby View Post

By your definition Apple is also out of touch with users too. No SDK for Apple TV games and no Apple branded controllers. It sounds like Apple prioritizes the things that most of their users base cares about.

And If chat is so valuable to gamers then why haven't any of these game developers done it themselves? They have all the tools but I suspect it's a small subset of gamers that would actually care.

Nice straw man. You surmised that team based games comprised less than .01% of iOS users. I asked you to go to the app store top 50 apps and you will see over a dozen team based games on that chart. That is not me pulling a number out of thin air like you that is raw data from Apple directly. Of course these games have chat included but compared to what you can do with Palringo it is is practically useless. You need to be in chat and also in game screen at the same time in events. game chat does not allow you to see main game screen. You can suspect and hypothesize all you want but team based apps are big money for Apple. Clash of Clans is the #1 App in fact when I checked and any good clan will use a chat app during a war as will any faction or guild in Modern War, Kindom Age, War of Nations, Crime City, and so many other top 50 apps. 

• Reply 72 of 133
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

LOL, how did you know? Notifications from these apps are the only other issue. 

Nice straw man. You surmised that team based games comprised less than .01% of iOS users. I asked you to go to the app store top 50 apps and you will see over a dozen team based games on that chart. That is not me pulling a number out of thin air like you that is raw data from Apple directly. Of course these games have chat included but compared to what you can do with Palringo it is is practically useless. You need to be in chat and also in game screen at the same time in events. game chat does not allow you to see main game screen. You can suspect and hypothesize all you want but team based apps are big money for Apple. Clash of Clans is the #1 App in fact when I checked and any good clan will use a chat app during a war as will any faction or guild in Modern War, Kindom Age, War of Nations, Crime City, and so many other top 50 apps. 

thanks i'm so glad you came to see it my way. and apple's

• Reply 73 of 133
    Quote:

LOL, how did you know? Notifications from these apps are the only other issue. You have to remember to turn them off and on again. 

HAHA!  No comment.  My knowledge of this implies nothing! :)

Anyways, yeah, didn't think of the notifications.

• Reply 74 of 133
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    andysol wrote: »
    Fixed that for you

It replaced my laptop. So I think it's relative to what your use is. For me- it's a much better replacement.

Didn't need a fix, I reported a fact.
  • Reply 75 of 133
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Umm, that goes against about 30 years of web experience.  Yes, there could be something wrong with the browser.  But if the browser works generally, but fails 100% on a particular site, then something is wrong in the design of that site.

YES. Weather Underground is horrible on iPads. It’s absolutely THEIR fault, not Apple’s.

• Reply 76 of 133
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Better late than never.

Better right than first.

• Reply 77 of 133
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

I like a fast interface but this, of itself, offers no attraction.

• Reply 78 of 133
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

I'd love this feature. Here's hoping Apple also slides the storage up and 32 GB becomes the new minimum. A8/128 has a nice ring to it.

• Reply 79 of 133
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

I do think the 'select/drag/drop' action is something that 100% of the people grok (click on a picture in an email, drag it into a photo album.... select a paragraph from a iBooks document, and [properly attributed] drag it into a pages document.

The biggest use I see is when taking a MOOC class, watching a video/youtube, or even reading an iBook, and wanting to type notes without  totally shifting context.     From an educational context (get them while their young), this is a BIG WIN, and while it cannibalized the MBA, it fits in nicely with the 50 something who just wants to watch a video on how to make a pie, and type in the recipe notes as Dr Oz' guest discusses it on the show.  

Exactly.  That's the use case that has affected me.  I was listening to a lecture on the Coursera app and I switched over to something else (email perhaps or Safari) and the audio of the lecture stopped.  That was unexpected and unfortunate.  And having Safari and Notes open at the same time would be handy too (with text drag and drop rather than the many step copy and paste, as you also said).

• Reply 80 of 133
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    ralphmouth wrote: »
    This is surely a sign that the large screen iPad is on its way. Also I wonder if this means Apple is going to increase RAM to 2 GB for the iPad AIr 2. Multitasking will be more memory intensive and Apple wants to make the experience as smooth as possible.
    Of course this would likely be beside IPad 12 inch, then it made me wonder will we see a IPad 12 inch 32 gb 2 gb ram at $800 and of course 64 gb at $900 but could they have 128(maybe a 256) at $1000 and 4 gb ram?