Beats Music had 110K subscribers in March with impressive free-to-paid conversion

Comments

• Reply 121 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Victims, lol. This is 2014, not 1863. As if no other groups have been victims or persecuted at one time or another throughout history and have had to endure far worse.

And no, sorry, but I don't view anybody favorably who uses that word. It's a trashy word used mostly by trashy people.

I actually agree with both of you. I don't have a problem with black people using "the n word," but I don't think black people should;* it perpetuates the mentality of victimization, which I think has done nearly as much to hold back the upward social mobilization of blacks as racism (in today's terms and level of racism, not the extreme racism seen around and prior to the civil rights movement). But I think the main issue here is how quick you are to judge others as "trashy," 'low class," or whatever. It shows a lack of humanism, perspective, and humility on your part, which is probably the source of most of your contentious (non-Apple related) conflicts on this forum. I love your enthusiasm for Apple; I just don't think condescending to others needs to be part of it.

*Because this is a sensitive issue, let me add the caveat that I don't think it's my place to dictate, although I do want to share my opinion.

And as an olive branch: I'm with you on believing anthropogenic global warming hype to be BS. Whether it exists or not (I'm highly skeptical), it is clearly not the objective and unbiased science that it is made out to be (It's pathetic how many times they've cried wolf, only to have to redo their climate projections, yet still take themselves with dire seriousness). At best it is a sad distraction from real environmental issues that are more urgent (deforestation, pollution, sustainability, etc.), which could greatly benefit from the ridiculous amount of resources and attention that is being given to gaseous plant food.
  • Reply 122 of 141
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

The more I think about it, and the more I experiment with Beats Music, the more excited I am about this deal. I've always wondered why, despite Apple's unique ability to blend the humanities and technology in consumer electronics, iTunes (and now iTunes Radio) seems so sterile and poorly curated. I've only listened to the first part of Jimmy Iovine's All Things D interview, but so far he has talked about rekindling the emotional connection to music that has been lost in the digital age with the comodization of music production and consumption (I think I just articulated it better than he did). He talks about how the sensation of music is more visceral than we get simply by isolating and reproducing waveforms, which he says was the main inspiration behind Beats Headphones, and likely their reputation to be "bassy." After listening to him, I understand why they got so popular, and I no longer dismiss them as "all style," which was my opinion until recently. I have no doubt that the audiophile crowd is a minuscule, and shrinking, minority of consumers, and I think that the focus on the emotional feeling we get from music is a better approach then perfectly reproducing sounds, even under the Apple brand. Although I think the Beats brand hardware should remain differentiated from core brand Apple hardware.

Beats Music so far for me has been fantastic (I'm listening to it now). The curation is excellent. The algorithm is actually effective. I told the app in the (Siri like) sentence format that "I'm chilling," and it totally changed the feel of the music, while staying in the same genre. I assume that if I say I'm in a public place (e.g. work, party), that it will play more popular songs, further, if I'm at "work" I assume it will cut out the explicit tracks, whereas if I'm at a "party" it'll leave them in. Whatever they're doing, it's working, and I'm really enjoying myself, and discovering a lot of new, great music.

Music is being increasingly consumed for free, from Soundcloud, youtube, and various radio apps. A value add like the curation and experience offered by Beats Music will put Apple clearly at the top again, instead of just another option.

And just in case people still doubt this purchase, it will be worth it just for the ability to create an iTunes label, and in negotiations with the established labels. Oh, and Beats has $1B+ in yearly revenues.

Beats' revenues are based on the combined total of Beats Electronics (headphones and earbuds) and Beats Music, but Beats Music isn't financially doing well if you separated the two financial statements.   From what it sounds like they put in Ebonics into the algorithm which is why you can put in "I'm chilling" instead of "relaxing".   I guess that's kind of smart to cater to those that don't use  proper English.  I know a lot of us don't always know exactly what word to use to describe what we want. Now, I watched that All Things Digital interview. I thought Walt is the wrong person to conduct an interview with regards to anything related to audio because he didn't ask the right questions.  Now, I know a lot more than the average person with regards to audio gear, etc.  I'm not an expert, but I do a lot more and what Iovine is saying is great.  Having a better emotional connection with music, but enhancing the bass isn't what most audio listeners that have a REAL good audio system that listen to unprocessed music will tell is what they want.  They want clarity and dynamics.  Audio compression is often used in POP music and that makes everything the same level so it kind of removes the DYNAMICS of a musical performance so the soft passages are still loud and there isn't much difference between the soft and loud passages. So enhancing the bass on audio compressed recordings is kind of silly.  What enhancing the bass does is it makes you FEEL the music, but it doesn't give you better bass definition. so when you hear a bass guitar, its more muddy sounding or boomy sounding instead of hearing the actual bass note.  MOST people have never heard a REALLY good audio system in properly treated room or with headphones that are connected to a high end DAC/headphone preamp/amp.    Rap music doesn't really use actual instruments, instead they use synthesized bass, which is typically VERY boomy to begin with.  Again, unmusical.  If you listen to an acoustic upright bass properly recorded or a large 36inch Concert Bass drum played in a symphony orchestra, those are musical instruments that have different characteristics that require a LOT more accuracy in the reproducing these instruments where they sound REAL.  Beats headphones simply won't or can't do that.  They aren't designed for sonic accuracy.  If you listen to Audeze, Sennheiser, Stax, Grado, etc. you are dealing with the top end best of the best headphones and they CAN reproduce DETAIL in the entire range of frequencies and THEY are the high end headphone market, but they are in the $1500 to $3000+ price range which is HIGH END.  The Beats go up to around $450 and they are just outclassed, but if you listen to hip hop music and that's your thing, then Beats is what you might like because you aren't listening to a recording of musical instruments seeking accurate sound reproduction.  The masses aren't exposed to this concept unless you take the time to look into what is considered the best of the best.  But you have to read the magazines that cater to the high end market and most people don't read those publications.

As far as the acquisition, we'll probably find out in due time what's really going to happen but I don't think it's anything more than rebranding the headphones and integrating Beats Music service in iTunes and nothing much more than that.  When Apple takes over another company, they do what I call "Apple-izing" the product/technology.   It sometimes takes about a year or two to see any major changes.  But I doubt Apple will continue with the branding of Beats over the long term.  The brand Apple is FAR more powerful than Beats or Dr. Dre.

• Reply 123 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

I actually agree with both of you. I don't have a problem with black people using "the n word," but I don't think black people should;* it perpetuates the mentality of victimization, which I think has done nearly as much to hold back the upward social mobilization of blacks as racism (in today's terms and level of racism, not the extreme racism seen around and prior to the civil rights movement). But I think the main issue here is how quick you are to judge others as "trashy," 'low class," or whatever. It shows a lack of humanism, perspective, and humility on your part, which is probably the source of most of your contentious (non-Apple related) conflicts on this forum. I love your enthusiasm for Apple; I just don't think condescending to others needs to be part of it.

*Because this is a sensitive issue, let me add the caveat that I don't think it's my place to dictate, although I do want to share my opinion.

And as an olive branch: I'm with you on believing anthropogenic global warming hype to be BS. Whether it exists or not (I'm highly skeptical), it is clearly not the objective and unbiased science that it is made out to be (It's pathetic how many times they've cried wolf, only to have to redo their climate projections, yet still take themselves with dire seriousness). At best it is a sad distraction from real environmental issues that are more urgent (deforestation, pollution, sustainability, etc.), which could greatly benefit from the ridiculous amount of resources and attention that is being given to gaseous plant food.

Blacks are given an opportunity to learn anything they want in this day and age, if they choose to not learn and be part of the system in a positive way, then it's not anyone's fault but their own.  Blacks aren't the only ones that have been persecuted, I've been the victim of crimal behavior due to my being born Jewish (yeah, Jews have been persecuted more than whites as we aren't treated like other white people), but I don't make a big deal about it unless there is a legal matter for which I can take legal action. So playing the race card because a person didn't want to get an education is no one's fault but their own.  Some people confuse people just don't like people with an attitude problem against learning and because they are black they think it's because of their skin color.  Sorry, I don't like people doing that. If they have a problem obeying authority figures, then people will treat them differently and it's not necessarily based on racism, but based on someone just simply not playing by societies rules.  Kids THINK they can do whatever they want, but until they reach 18, they are NOT an adult and they have parents which are held liable for their kid's actions and when the kid gets out of line, what do you do? It's not a skin color thing, that behavior transcends skin color and everything else, it's simply called, someone is misbehaving and has an attitude problem, some cultures are more disciplined and see less of these types of problems, but some cultures it's just simply more prevalent.  But there are plenty of examples of someone growing up in a poverty situation and made the best of it and got out alive, educated and grew to become successful and it's happened to not just rich and famous people, but a lot of people that have normal jobs or small businesses that just have good work ethics.  And it's NOT a thing against any one race of people.  I think a lot of the race card implications many times, not all of the times, but many times is BS.  If you're doing something that's wrong or illegal then own up to it and don't blame anyone but yourself.   The N words is something I don't like, but the rap community likes it.  I think it's stupid, but if they like it then they shouldn't call ANYONE a racist because they call people of the rap community the N word.  They use it SOMETIMES to mean "FRIEND", but sometimes they use it to mean "A$$HOLE" depending on their meaning, but it's kind of hard to understand which is which.  But those that don't like the word, like myself, prefer that they DIDN'T use it, because it's just not something positive, just a lot of other words they commonly use.  Swearing is one thing and some of us swear more or less than others, but if pushed to a point, I think most of us are going to swear.  Imagine what someone would yell out if they got physically hurt and they are in extreme pain. Are they likely to yell out "oh gosh, oh darn, someone just severed my hand", or are they going to swear obscenities?    I think the later is more appropriate.

I just with people in the rap/hip hop community would just simply admit they need help with learning the English language, they need help with decent fashion because they need to get better fitting pants so their underwear isn't hanging out, etc. etc.   You would be surprised what people would do to HELP them fit in with what is considered normal society if they simply asked for help to improve themselves in what they lack vs. just blaming everyone else for THEIR issues.  If they present themselves properly in both how they dress, how they talk, and how they act, they'll get a LOT further in life than if they don't.   First impressions is what a lot of people automatically do, so if they come at you and they are high and kite, etc. etc. and they can put people off immediately.   A lot of people simply don't spend enough time getting to know people of other skin colors or backgrounds.  I have.  I know a lot of people from other countries scare people and some don't.  Remember when the whole Iraq war 9/11 thing happened?  People automatically became scared of anyone wearing a turban or were middle eastern.   That's what happens in our society.

I would only suggest that you don't want to put people off, don't give them a reason to. If you want to be accepted in society, don't give people REASONS to reject you or dismiss you as BS.  I think it's disturbing for people to have tattoos, have underwear hanging out, threaten to hurt people for no good reason, or to not learn the native language of the country for which you were born and raised, rip people off, steal expensive things from other people, call themselves something when they aren't, etc.  I shouldn't have to change MY attitude if I feel my attitude is more in line with common sense thinking.  

• Reply 124 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

I have to admit this as well. I was not happy at first after seeing Dr. Dre's profanity and n-word laced youtube video.  I do not want Apple associating with that type of culture. I feel the same way if it was Eminem so it isn't a Black/White thing. I am getting more intrigued as I read about this acquisition and the reasons for it.

I'd say there is a difference between being at your house and being in an interview with 60 Minutes yet here is Steve Jobs dropping "F-Bombs."

Context is everything.

• Reply 125 of 141
    Quote:

Quote:

I don't care about any F bombs.

I'm not black, but I don't like people who use the N word in every sentence. It doesn't matter to me if it was a KKK member using that word or if it's a rapper, I don't think highly of either.

And people do use that word in public, I hear it all of the time. I find it to be rude and I find the people who use it to be trashy.

1) I don't think KKK members and musicians that perform a certain of genre of music shouldn't be at opposing ends of a scale.

2) What about the words nincompoop and scallywag? These used to be highly offensive, as were pretty much anything that blasphemous but if someone says "Oh God!" in public it doesn't seem to raise an eyebrow in most circles.

3) The fact that we have a series of phonemes that considered offensive regardless of its usage, meaning or intent is ridiculous to me. How is we can be so irrational as to be filled with negative emotion from having a momentary utterance of a sound resonate off our auditory system, but if someone uses a more subtle term with the now common subtle racism and bigotry (except on the internet of course) we don't bat and eye. Are we really that superficial and ignorant to think the letters that form the word or the sound it makes are the problem as if words can truly be cursed. I didn't think we were living in the dark age.

Possibly the most deceitful post I've ever read. Words have meaning. Get over it.

• Reply 126 of 141
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    With everybody yelling doom and gloom because the iPod market is "dying", i.e.: leveling off as one of the few biggest businesses in the world (but never mind that, "growth" is all that matters!), why couldn't they start selling a line of "Beats iPods by Dr. Dre"? In fact, how do we know that these huge, too-thin "iPhone" prototypes aren't of a new "iPod Touch by Dr. Dre"?

See as how the iPhone has a iPod built-in, it's really a stretch to say that the iPod market is dying. It's been consolidated.
  • Reply 127 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Quote:

If you think that it's just a word, then walk up to a bunch of black kids standing around and say that word, and then see what happens. Are you attempting to argue that N..... is no longer offensive?

And I do believe that some people are living in the dark ages.

Hell, I told someone in their 30s the other day that, "I don't give a shit."... and they got up in my face for swearing at them. Dark ages.

The N word would definitely go the wrong way.

Good for them for getting in your face; you should be lucky you didn't end up in hospital.

• Reply 128 of 141
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Possibly the most deceitful post I've ever read. Words have meaning. Get over it.

Yet it was humans that give those words their meaning thus humans have the license to change it.
  • Reply 129 of 141
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

They do, do they? Words have a meaning as opposed to society attributes meanings to words? Can you prove this, because I can prove that all words are given meaning and that those meaning and change slightly or radically in a long or short amount of time.

Here's one such example common in etymological discussions: How do attribute the word harlot? Today, it's considered an archaic term that means a prostitute or promiscuous woman but well before that morphing it was came from Middle English meaning a vagabond or beggar then later a lecherous man or woman, which was taken from Old French to mean young man.

So how exactly do we get from young man to prostitute if words have some innate meaning that society isn't choosing to attribute to them?

PS: Here's a bonus question for you. Which of these shapes is a Bouba and which is a Kiki? Don't cheat!

• Reply 130 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Danox View Post

Hey Doc if you are old enough did you buy VHS or Beta, Laser disk, component stereo systems, Mac's, Amiga's? I did most of the general population did not, Apple has to sell to a much larger market that simply does not care.

I know, it''s called marketing to the masses. The masses are ignorant about quality.  Plain and simple.  That's why McDonalds sells billions of hamburgers, that's why Ford sells a bunch of their cheap cars, that's why Justin Bieber sells millions of records.  It's plain ignorance, and they don't place much importance in their lives with something of high quality.  The thing I was getting at between Apple users and non-Apple users is that Apple users are more likely to put quality higher up on the list than price when making the decision to buy an Apple product and there are a LOT of wealthy people that buy Apple products that do want high quality.  If you went to these audio shows that show off the super expensive systems, what do you see?  MacMinis being used as servers, iPads either streaming to their system or being used as a remote control, MacBookPros also being used as a server, so you will most likely see a LOT more Apple computers and mobile devices used with these ultra expensive systems, same goes with the high end home automation systems.  The thing is, THIS is a growing market and THESE people have and spend LOTS of money.  They spend LOTS of money on content and they are buying more and more high res content as it come out. So, saying the general population doesn't care is true, but a growing portion of the population is who spends the most money and guess what?  THEY CARE.   Many of them aren't not satisfied with "good enough".  And since they got money and they plan on spending it, if Apple doesn't have something to offer, they'll go elsewhere and spend that money somewhere else and one of these wealthy people spends more money than probably 50 or more families that don't spend money.  How many people that make $50K a year have $20 to $50K in record collections? probably none, but someone that makes a few million a year do.   Didn't Bruce Willis when he was making that big stink of transferring his iTunes collection to his daughters had at the time about $25K worth of music. Imagine if he's now collecting the $20 to 30 a CD 24 bit stuff that's out now.  These people spend GOBS of money on content when they have it.  There are more millionaires being created every year.

I'm wondering how much the entire iTunes collection is worth if someone bought one of everything and stored it in their own Server.   That would be interesting to know.

One thing to realize, back when CDs FIRST came out, they were typically bought by people with nicer stereo systems and it wasn't picked up by the masses for many years later.  That SAME trend is starting to happen with high res downloads.  Yeah, now your average person doesn't care, but once these kids growing start to earn a living (hopefully make some decent money), then they will WANT high res audio when they can afford it.  Some are actually doing it right now as kids are actually starting to get into vinyl and high res, it's actually moving in that direction, but it will pick up speed as time moves forward, but now 16 bit digital audio for home theaters is the norm now, and now people are slowly moving away from DVDs to BluRay and it's picking up market share.  Even on a fairly inexpensive system listening to a 24/96 is so far superior to 16/44, it's no contest and it's even better than the MP3 versions.  It's not a matter of if they should do it, its a matter of WHEN and some time down the road 24/96 or 24/192 might become the new 16 Bit version and 16Bit will seem like what happened to the cassette tape.  Remember those?  That's what the masses used to use when the CD first hit for portable devices.

Sound quality hasn't changed much since CDs came out, ie. for the past thirty-five years or so. It's effectively plateaued. Some people pay extra for better quality, but most don't. If Apple increase the quality on iTunes for free, that's great, but most people won't tell any difference. The only real difference has been convenience in the form of the iPod/iPhone and iTunes. There's no steady improvement to be gained, because our hearing isn't good enough. I listen to lots of classical music, and iTunes quality is fine - there's very little in it for me compared to CDs using B&O speakers. 

What's more, I don't think there's much correlation between rich people and better audio. Of course, rich people will tend to have the better audio, but I don't think most people care enough, rich or poor.

• Reply 131 of 141
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

They do, do they? Words have a meaning as opposed to society attributes meanings to words? Can you prove this, because I can prove that all words are given meaning and that those meaning and change slightly or radically in a long or short amount of time.

Here's one such example common in etymological discussions: How do attribute the word harlot? Today, it's considered an archaic term that means a prostitute or promiscuous woman but well before that morphing it was came from Middle English meaning a vagabond or beggar then later a lecherous man or woman, which was taken from Old French to mean young man.

So how exactly do we get from young man to prostitute if words have some innate meaning that society isn't choosing to attribute to them?

I can't help but think of Lenny Bruce.

• Reply 132 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

With everybody yelling doom and gloom because the iPod market is "dying", i.e.: leveling off as one of the few biggest businesses in the world (but never mind that, "growth" is all that matters!), why couldn't they start selling a line of "Beats iPods by Dr. Dre"? In fact, how do we know that these huge, too-thin "iPhone" prototypes aren't of a new "iPod Touch by Dr. Dre"?

No, no, no. If Apple wants to keep the Beats/Beats by Dre brand, fine, but in no way shape or form should they incorporate Beats and/or Dre into Apple products. The last thing I want to see on an iDevice or a Mac is a Beats logo. That's what losers like HTC and HP do, not Apple. image

Yeah, sounds like the Motorola Rokr - what a great success that was.

• Reply 133 of 141
    I can't help but think of Lenny Bruce.

Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, Louis C.K., and even Gallagher, who doesn't seem to be widely considered a great comedian because of the corny part of his act, oft covered the absurdity of language, or rather, the absurdity that we attribute to language.

I'm astonished at how superficial and myopic people are about language despite it being the foundation of every society. We want to vilify a person for speaking colloquially in their home if it's not how we choose to speak at home among peers and then attribute that speak to their intelligence, morals, education level, and value to society. It's just as racist as "scientists" of yore using pseudo-science to prove that Homo sapiens that look different from you are lesser humans than you. Linnaeus, despite the good he did in creating the taxonomy of species, falsely assumed that God's ideal was a perfectly spherical shape which was would have been Adam and Eve and that everything that came after through procreation was slightly less perfect. He found the most spherical skulls in Turkey which is believed to be where the Noah's Ark finally found land and the least spherical skulls were found in Africa. Unfortunately this has lead to plenty of racism that uses science to prove that other "races" are inferior. Of course, this isn't completely separated by the current foolish attribution of "race" but to bigotry that spans shorter manmade borders, politics and slight cultural differences like the Scottish and English. There is no need for any of this and nothing progresses when we are too scared and ignorant to see other as equals. But perhaps this part of our genetics since we overwhelmingly seem to love a sports team and hate another based on geographic location. We claim them as our own and we despise others that claim our current rival(s) as their own. If one needs to be partisan I suppose being partisan about something unimportant is better than keeping an entire segment of the population from succeeding on equal ground based on the colour of their skin or cultural they were born into.
  • Reply 134 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Sound quality hasn't changed much since CDs came out, ie. for the past thirty-five years or so. It's effectively plateaued. Some people pay extra for better quality, but most don't. If Apple increase the quality on iTunes for free, that's great, but most people won't tell any difference. The only real difference has been convenience in the form of the iPod/iPhone and iTunes. There's no steady improvement to be gained, because our hearing isn't good enough. I listen to lots of classical music, and iTunes quality is fine - there's very little in it for me compared to CDs using B&O speakers. 

What's more, I don't think there's much correlation between rich people and better audio. Of course, rich people will tend to have the better audio, but I don't think most people care enough, rich or poor.

Benjamin, it's your system that's limiting to you on what you are hearing as well as your room acoustics.  CDs have been improving, especially since these 24K Mobile Fidelity and other remastered versions where they are removing a lot of audio compression, re-eqing it and using better converters, and playback systems to tailor these CDs so they sound better on better systems. DSD is getting better as they are moving to 2x which just makes them sound more analog.

Companies to check out are ISOMIKE, Blue Coast Records, Mobile Fidelity, Audio Fidelity all have some really good CDs.

The problem is with your system. When you say B&O, are you using those computer speakers or are you using one of their higher end systems?  As good as B&O is, it's either low-fi/mid-fi for their computer speakers to the lower end of the high end audio for their higher end expensive systems and their converters aren't that great. They're OK.  Their ICE power amps are OK, but other companies like Jeff Rowland, Bel Canto, Wyred4Sound, Devialet, Spectron and others have much better Class D power amps than what B&O sells that are sometimes taking ICE modules from B&O and heavily modifying them with different front ends, better grade components, or just different Class D power amp design.  (but this is a whole other discussion.)  

But for MOST people with the level of quality they have WILL hear a difference when Apple releases 24/96 and/or 24/192 versions of the same recordings IF the recordings were converted from analog masters and/or if they were originally tracked at 24/96 or 24/192.  That's where you find the biggest differences and if they use little to no AUDIO compression.  Audio compression is what screws up recordings.  it compresses it where the dynamic range is very narrow so you don't get that expressiveness from the performance since everything is just at the same level. It's all that loudness war BS, they've been dealing with.  But Apple has improved their filters for the Mastered for iTunes vs what they had previously.  It'll be interesting to see how good they get 24/96 and 24/192 on iTunes and how they'll sound compared to the lossless counterparts that HDTracks and others sell.  I am very happy with what's coming out of HD Tracks for the most part, but I am also liking Mobile Fidelity and these others as well.  If the content was originally tracked at 16/48 or 16/44.1, and they upsample it to 24 Bit, unless they are using really good filtering technology, you might not hear that much of a difference.  I would probably get a good DAC and headphones like HD800's and really examine if there is a big enough different to tell.

Also, I am now ripping my CDs to iTunes using XLD instead of iTunes to rip CDs with.  So far, I've found it to be much more reliable than iTunes.  I was having problems with weird dropouts when I ripped CDs to AIFF files with iTunes.  XLD is free, but it's not as easy to use as just ripping CDs with iTunes, but so far, the outcome is just better..  So, if you rip a lot of CDs, I would suggest using XLD instead.

What are you using for the DAC?  Do you have an external DAC or are you using what's inside the computer?

• Reply 135 of 141
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Sure, but it's still looking better. However, I'm not sure how this article is the result of AI spinning a positive from a negative or that their sourcing of the 110k subscribers in March is unsubstantiated.

Other news outlets are reporting that AT&T has been giving out 90-day free subscriptions to Beats as a promotion - that would definitely skew the numbers, as those on a free trial would still count as "paying" subscribers.

I'm not sure how other stories can mention that, whereas AI conveniently forgets it.

Also, 110,000 is not very many at all - if that's your sample size, it's polly-annish to think that shows Beats Music will be a success. This "deal" is still all rumor, and anything written about it positively or negatively is pure spin.

• Reply 136 of 141
    Quote:

Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, Louis C.K., and even Gallagher, who doesn't seem to be widely considered a great comedian because of the corny part of his act, oft covered the absurdity of language, or rather, the absurdity that we attribute to language.

I'm astonished at how superficial and myopic people are about language despite it being the foundation of every society. We want to vilify a person for speaking colloquially in their home if it's not how we choose to speak at home among peers and then attribute that speak to their intelligence, morals, education level, and value to society. It's just as racist as "scientists" of yore using pseudo-science to prove that Homo sapiens that look different from you are lesser humans than you. Linnaeus, despite the good he did in creating the taxonomy of species, falsely assumed that God's ideal was a perfectly spherical shape which was would have been Adam and Eve and that everything that came after through procreation was slightly less perfect. He found the most spherical skulls in Turkey which is believed to be where the Noah's Ark finally found land and the least spherical skulls were found in Africa. Unfortunately this has lead to plenty of racism that uses science to prove that other "races" are inferior. Of course, this isn't completely separated by the current foolish attribution of "race" but to bigotry that spans shorter manmade borders, politics and slight cultural differences like the Scottish and English. There is no need for any of this and nothing progresses when we are too scared and ignorant to see other as equals. But perhaps this part of our genetics since we overwhelmingly seem to love a sports team and hate another based on geographic location. We claim them as our own and we despise others that claim our current rival(s) as their own. If one needs to be partisan I suppose being partisan about something unimportant is better than keeping an entire segment of the population from succeeding on equal ground based on the colour of their skin or cultural they were born into.

There are white people that do rapping and classify them in the same category.

At least Lenny Bruce studied the English language.  These rappers stopped studying the English language when they got into the 3rd grade. 

If you don't study how to play a musical instrument, even as a freaking singer the better singers do play piano or guitar and now the music systems of their country.  Then they might take liberties, but to put someone that never studied the English language to at least a 6th grade level (preferably higher) and learned (self taught or otherwise) the musical systems of their country before they take liberties to screw around with it, then all this society is doing is feeling sorry for people that were too lazy to learn and calling them artists or musicians and giving them money and putting them on a pedestal.

They are promoting more non-music and illiterate prose with vulgar language which degrades women into whores, sluts and bitches, their friends as niggas, and discussing how they want to kill people, do drugs, etc. etc.   Great, thanks a lot for contributing to this society celebration illiteracy rather than simply telling these people regardless of color to grow up, go BACK to school, get their GED (which by the way we PAY for when they get incarcerated through the legal system at a MUCH higher cost than if they just learned through the public school system) and if they want to make a living creating honest music, to get off their ass and pick up a piano a guitar a set of drum sticks, a trumpet, a saxophone and then practice 4 to 8 hours a day like MOST musicians have to do and actually LEARN what it takes to be a professional musician.  There are MUSICIANS in this world that don't get ANY attention because people would rather listen to ICE T or some other moron produce NON MUSIC.   What a sad state of affairs our society has become for THINKING that we are being racist by asking them to LEARN English and MUSIC just like other people in what's supposed to be an educated society.  Sadly, the US is becoming worse that a lot of 3rd world countries.  At least They speak their own native language and if they play music they adhere to their musical systems more closely than ours.

Heck, I spent a couple of hours backstage at a gig where the headliner we played with at a concert had their musicians from South Africa playing South African reggae, but the keyboard players I spent time with could play jazz just as well as Chick Corea or any major jazz player I've ever heard. they were playing Chick Corea's material note for FREAKING note with their own expression and it was nice to see THEY take music FAR more seriously than the black rap artists do in this country.  It's not racism at all from my point of view.  EVERYONE in the USA gets a chance to learn the basics of math, English, etc. through the public school system, if they don't want to grow up learning what everyone else learns, then that's THEIR problem and I already pay taxes which pays for them to get their education and GED whether it's through the public school system or through the legal system when they get arrested. So, i kind of just ask people don't buy into illiterate non-musicians faking their way through the music industry, LAUGHING all the way to the bank.

If these guys are such great poets, then they should FIRST get the poetry society to grant them qualified to be poets.  But I think they kind of want to make sure they at least speak English and know the English language first.  I would think that's THEIR requirements.

• Reply 137 of 141
    elroth wrote: »
    Other news outlets are reporting that AT&T has been giving out 90-day free subscriptions to Beats as a promotion - that would definitely skew the numbers, as those on a free trial would still count as "paying" subscribers.

I'm not sure how other stories can mention that, whereas AI conveniently forgets it.

Also, 110,000 is not very many at all - if that's your sample size, it's polly-annish to think that shows Beats Music will be a success. This "deal" is still all rumor, and anything written about it positively or negatively is pure spin.

1) That is correct and a good point. I would think that technically would be considered a paid signup unless otherwise stated.

2) When I read AI's article it sounded like it was an additional 110k signup just for the month of March, with a rumoured 300k having signed up for this new service as of the end of 2013. MacRumours and others state it differently; that only 111k have signed up in total. In either case those signees would not be the reason that Apple would be looking at them.
  • Reply 138 of 141
    Quote:

All of the people you listed as comedians learned how to speak the English language FIRST before they take liberties with it.  That's kind of what Jazz musicians do.  They first get their classical training first so they know what they are doing, and THEN they experiment.  Miles Davis was accepted to Julliard and attended just like many other well respected BLACK jazz musicians, but they go out in the world and then experiment with other classically trained musicians from this country or other countries that are trained in THEIR music studies whether it be from India, which has it's own guidelines and rules for THEIR music system, etc.  So you pulling the race card on this is BS.

Otherwise you do have a firm grasp on the English language but no knowledge of music, so while you are literate in terms of the English language, you are completely illiterate on the language of MUSIC and and form of music system that has RULES of what is considered MUSIC and what is NOT.

And how about that Justin Beiber, he's into rap music now and didn't he just get arrested or detained for stealing someone's cell phone?  Can't he afford his own with all his money?   Another loser that shouldn't have been in the music industry until he at least finished high school and had some seasoning as a professional musician.  Know wonder the recording industry doesn't have as much sales anymore.  No one wants to pay for music.  Hmmmmm....  

• Reply 139 of 141
    drblank wrote: »
    All of the people you listed as comedians learned how to speak the English language FIRST before they take liberties with it.

More ethnocentric BS. Louis C.K. is a Mexican-American whose FIRST language is Spanish and to this day is still a Mexican citizen.
  • Reply 140 of 141
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Benjamin, it's your system that's limiting to you on what you are hearing as well as your room acoustics.  CDs have been improving, especially since these 24K Mobile Fidelity and other remastered versions where they are removing a lot of audio compression, re-eqing it and using better converters, and playback systems to tailor these CDs so they sound better on better systems. DSD is getting better as they are moving to 2x which just makes them sound more analog.

Companies to check out are ISOMIKE, Blue Coast Records, Mobile Fidelity, Audio Fidelity all have some really good CDs.

The problem is with your system. When you say B&O, are you using those computer speakers or are you using one of their higher end systems?  As good as B&O is, it's either low-fi/mid-fi for their computer speakers to the lower end of the high end audio for their higher end expensive systems and their converters aren't that great. They're OK.  Their ICE power amps are OK, but other companies like Jeff Rowland, Bel Canto, Wyred4Sound, Devialet, Spectron and others have much better Class D power amps than what B&O sells that are sometimes taking ICE modules from B&O and heavily modifying them with different front ends, better grade components, or just different Class D power amp design.  (but this is a whole other discussion.)  

But for MOST people with the level of quality they have WILL hear a difference when Apple releases 24/96 and/or 24/192 versions of the same recordings IF the recordings were converted from analog masters and/or if they were originally tracked at 24/96 or 24/192.  That's where you find the biggest differences and if they use little to no AUDIO compression.  Audio compression is what screws up recordings.  it compresses it where the dynamic range is very narrow so you don't get that expressiveness from the performance since everything is just at the same level. It's all that loudness war BS, they've been dealing with.  But Apple has improved their filters for the Mastered for iTunes vs what they had previously.  It'll be interesting to see how good they get 24/96 and 24/192 on iTunes and how they'll sound compared to the lossless counterparts that HDTracks and others sell.  I am very happy with what's coming out of HD Tracks for the most part, but I am also liking Mobile Fidelity and these others as well.  If the content was originally tracked at 16/48 or 16/44.1, and they upsample it to 24 Bit, unless they are using really good filtering technology, you might not hear that much of a difference.  I would probably get a good DAC and headphones like HD800's and really examine if there is a big enough different to tell.

Also, I am now ripping my CDs to iTunes using XLD instead of iTunes to rip CDs with.  So far, I've found it to be much more reliable than iTunes.  I was having problems with weird dropouts when I ripped CDs to AIFF files with iTunes.  XLD is free, but it's not as easy to use as just ripping CDs with iTunes, but so far, the outcome is just better..  So, if you rip a lot of CDs, I would suggest using XLD instead.

What are you using for the DAC?  Do you have an external DAC or are you using what's inside the computer?

I have bottom of the range speakers from twenty-three years ago still going fine. They're pretty neutral, which is good for classical. Since I got a better cable, the bass is pronounced. Otherwise, just hooked up to my iMac, no extra DAC. The mid-range is not as good as it could be, but I'm more than happy with the sound. I'd like to pair it with a couple more speakers for a pseudo-quadrophonic sound, but not sure how to sync it, short of buying another pair of B&Os. 

Thing about sound quality, is that you don't need the best to appreciate the music! I've gotten a lot of pleasure from a cheap Logitech unit. I've heard much better systems, which sound great, but once you start getting above a certain level, satisfaction is reached. It's much more important that the music itself is good quality than the sound system. As long as the sound system doesn't detract from the listening, then I'm happy.

I actually prefer the sound of iTunes over CDs for anything that's not classical or some jazz. Classical would benefit from a hike in quality; CDs still win there.