LG's iOS-compatible Heart Rate Earphones, Lifeband Touch activity tracker launch Sunday

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
This Sunday, customers in the U.S. will be able to get their hands -- or, more specifically, wrists and ears -- on LG's latest wearable fitness and health monitors, as the new Lifeband Touch activity tracker and Heart Rate Earphones are set to go on sale May 18.

Both devices are compatible with Apple's iOS platform through a downloadable LG Fitness application. The Lifeband Touch also offer compatibility with popular health-related applications MyFitnessPal, RunKeeper, and MapMyFitness.

The Lifeband Touch is a wrist-worn device that sports a touch-controlled 0.9-inch OLED display that automatically turns on when the wearer turns their wrist. It provides users with fitness data, allowing them to check their movement and measure progress thanks to an included triple-axis accelerometer as well as an altimeter.

LG says the Lifeband Touch's 90mAh battery provides five days of uptime before a recharge is needed. And it also comes in three different sizes, allowing users to find the fit that is most comfortable for them.

LG

It can be paired with LG's new Heart Rate Earphones, which will measure blood flow signals in the ear through PerformTek sensor technology. LG claims that its Heart Rate Earphones will provide more accurate health and fitness metrics than other devices thanks to the unique physiology of the ear.

The earphones can be used alone and connected to an iPhone, or they can be paired with the Lifeband Touch to let users get data readouts on their wrist. Data can be transferred via Bluetooth with a separate clip-on medallion.

LG"s Fitness application for iOS also allows users to receive audible status updates to inform them of their heart rate and maximum oxygen consumption levels in real time while wearing the Heart Rate Earphones.

Both products launch in the U.S. this Sunday, May 18, though LG has not announced pricing or availability.

AppleInsider went hands-on with both products when they were unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show in January, finding the touchscreen OLED display on the Lifeband Touch to be particularly unique. LG has also indicated that it plans to add support for viewing data and participating in guided workouts on compatible LG smart television sets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I hope this happens sooner rather than later. I'd much rather have my smartphone and it's OS be able to record the data, much like with M7, that other apps can read, over having a kludgy setup..
  • Reply 2 of 22
    deegee48deegee48 Posts: 66member
    Man, we're gonna be one healthy bunch of couch potatoes!
  • Reply 3 of 22
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Having all this health monitoring would freak me out. I think it would make me a hypochondriac.

• Reply 4 of 22
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Having all this health monitoring would freak me out. I think it would make me a hypochondriac.

Right?Talk about being self- absorbed to the max. OCD rates should now spike.
  • Reply 5 of 22

I think the heart-rate earphones are a terrific idea for people exercising. Even when sleeping, assuming they don't turn off after a few minutes, or goes to sleep itself, for those of us seeking nocturnal monitoring.  I'd buy 'em today, assuming they worked.

And putting the HR monitor in an earbud is a brilliant idea--so much easier and potentially more reliable than chest-bands that come loose, wristbands that annoy and also come loose, and no need for glue to hold them in place.

• Reply 6 of 22
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeGee48 View Post

Not sure there is enough people in the world who worry about their health and could afford all these devices everyone is coming out with. 

• Reply 7 of 22
    deegee48 wrote: »

LOL. We prefer to be called "doughy gadget enthusiasts." /s
  • Reply 8 of 22
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Not sure there is enough people in the world who worry about their health and could afford all these devices everyone is coming out with. 

Obesity is a first world problem, and this same demographic can afford gadgets like this. LG isn't selling these things in Darfur.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Yeah, I don't get it at all.  To me, it seems like a fad.  Then again, if I were an athlete maybe I'd feel differently.

But years of ER visits (for accidents, not health-related problems) has taught me that my heart rate (~80) and BP (~110/70) have stayed pretty consistent for decades.  Which is somewhat ironic, considering that I smoke, drink too much, and rarely exercise.

I don't know.  I guess I'm just not the target demo.

• Reply 10 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I’m wondering about the liability issues. You have a heart attack and you sue Apple for failing to alert you properly that it was on the way. You know the way the ambulance chasers and tort laws work in this country. It’s always somebody else’s fault for your troubles. The bigger the company the more at fault they are. I can see the personal injury lawyers salivating at this prospect. 

• Reply 11 of 22
    rkanagarkanaga Posts: 11member
    I thought that Apple had a patent on HR ear buds?
  • Reply 12 of 22
    hi
  • Reply 13 of 22
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    iYoga pad anyone? I know that millions and millions of iPods were sold but I never owned one despite my love of music, being plugged into a device which removed me from my surrounding never appealed to me. Will non-atheletes and non-fitness buffs buy these health devices from Apple or other vendors? Will people start staring at their heart rates monitors when out for dinner with friends? Is Apple looking to revolutionize a niche market? Will this device leave us scratching our heads and not realizing its potential the way the iPad did when first released?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Yet another example of a company rushing out a product that they think Apple is about to, to get ahead of the rush. It never seems to work out too well for these companies though. Apple should leak a few erroneous projects just to misdirect.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yet another example of a company rushing out a product that they think Apple is about to, to get ahead of the rush. It never seems to work out too well for these companies though. Apple should leak a few erroneous projects just to misdirect.

Yeah, it's funny isn't it?

• Reply 16 of 22
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 422member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AppleInsider went hands-on with both products when they were unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show in January, finding the touchscreen OLED display on the Lifeband Touch to be particularly unique.

"particularly unique"? What, even more unique than its merely-unique unique competitors? Doesn't that make it just unusual in such elevated company?

Yours, Mr Grumpy tonight.

• Reply 17 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    command_f wrote: »
    "particularly unique"? What, even more unique than its merely-unique unique competitors? Doesn't that make it just unusual in such elevated company?

Yours, Mr Grumpy tonight.

Yep, I was always taught there is just ... unique ... like pregnant or dead ... :D
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yep, I was always taught there is just ... unique ... like pregnant or dead ... image

Unique?  Correct.

Pregnant?  Correct.

Dead?  Not so much.  You're forgetting the undead! :)

• Reply 19 of 22
    They're here! Check out my review of the LG Lifeband items here:
    http://arijaycomet.com/2014/05/22/battle-lg-lifeband-touch-and-heart-rate-monitor-earphones-versus-the-competition/

Overall a GREAT combination of sleek hardware and useful function. I won't spoil the review though, so read up at the link above!
  • Reply 20 of 22
    They're here! Check out my review of the LG Lifeband items here:
    http://arijaycomet.com/2014/05/22/battle-lg-lifeband-touch-and-heart-rate-monitor-earphones-versus-the-competition/

Overall a GREAT combination of sleek hardware and useful function. I won't spoil the review though, so read up at the link above!